How NOT to Conworld.

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Zumir
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: How NOT to Conworld.

Post by Zumir »

zelos wrote:I wonder how those would work if you had magic and technology being intertwined :P
Any magic is indistinguishable from technology?
Wa mnew yiHegolech.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Something that turns me off from a conworld is slavish insistence on absolute realism. Yeah, realism is super-fun to incorporate into your conworld, but I don't need 3 paragraphs scientifically explaining how your conworld has purple sky. Just say "the sky is purple", jesus.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
CrazyEttin
sinic
sinic

Post by CrazyEttin »

Chagen wrote:Something that turns me off from a conworld is slavish insistence on absolute realism. Yeah, realism is super-fun to incorporate into your conworld, but I don't need 3 paragraphs scientifically explaining how your conworld has purple sky. Just say "the sky is purple", jesus.
But... But... The calculations and technobabble are the most fun part of conworlding. [:(]
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Yes, but there's a limit, where you realize, "I truly have many better things to be doing with my time".
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Zontas
greek
greek

Post by Zontas »

Chagen wrote:Something that turns me off from a conworld is slavish insistence on absolute realism. Yeah, realism is super-fun to incorporate into your conworld, but I don't need 3 paragraphs scientifically explaining how your conworld has purple sky. Just say "the sky is purple", jesus.
Three paragraphs of about five sentences is both the minimum and the maximum if you're going with that approach. It does't hurt to do so if you have something un-annoying to back it up.
Hey there.
Zumir
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zumir »

Another thing that grinds my gears (yes, I used to watch Family Guy, stop looking at me like that) is when a culture is never developed passed a high concept, e.g. a militaristic culture, or a pacifist culture, or a culture centered around the arts.

(Was that all one sentence? Jesus.)
Wa mnew yiHegolech.
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

@Chagen: Some people conworld with the purpose of absolute realism, so they enjoy that stuff. Others don't. It's more a matter of preference, in my opinion. And it's also more so their problem for writing so much and in a boring way rather than the nature of their conworld. It's certainly possible to devise and explain and interesting reason why the sky is purple. That's my opinion at least.

That said...
Zumir wrote:Another thing that grinds my gears (yes, I used to watch Family Guy, stop looking at me like that) is when a culture is never developed passed a high concept, e.g. a militaristic culture, or a pacifist culture, or a culture centered around the arts.

Totally agreed. Isn't it the thing that pops up in cliched fantasy and sci-fi all the time? i.e. Elves are ALWAYS pacifist (except for that one exception!), Klingons ALWAYS are social darwinists (or something like that), etc. etc. It's one thing to have stereotypes, but another to make them real.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
CrazyEttin
sinic
sinic

Post by CrazyEttin »

cybrxkhan wrote:@Chagen: Some people conworld with the purpose of absolute realism, so they enjoy that stuff. Others don't. It's more a matter of preference, in my opinion. And it's also more so their problem for writing so much and in a boring way rather than the nature of their conworld. It's certainly possible to devise and explain and interesting reason why the sky is purple. That's my opinion at least.
This.

I usually do the calculations and invent the necessary science stuff, but only let some of it in the actual description of the world, most of it being stored in my notes if needed. Even if you just end up saying "The sky is purple" it's good to know yourself why it is that colour, because it might affect the world in different ways than just the sky colour.
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

CrazyEttin wrote:
cybrxkhan wrote:@Chagen: Some people conworld with the purpose of absolute realism, so they enjoy that stuff. Others don't. It's more a matter of preference, in my opinion. And it's also more so their problem for writing so much and in a boring way rather than the nature of their conworld. It's certainly possible to devise and explain and interesting reason why the sky is purple. That's my opinion at least.
This.

I usually do the calculations and invent the necessary science stuff, but only let some of it in the actual description of the world, most of it being stored in my notes if needed. Even if you just end up saying "The sky is purple" it's good to know yourself why it is that colour, because it might affect the world in different ways than just the sky colour.
I usually approximate things :P If there is a feasable answer I leave it at that and care none more.
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Zumir wrote:Another thing that grinds my gears (yes, I used to watch Family Guy, stop looking at me like that)
I don't think Family Guy created that phrase, or even popularized it.
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

Theta wrote:
Zumir wrote:Another thing that grinds my gears (yes, I used to watch Family Guy, stop looking at me like that)
I don't think Family Guy created that phrase, or even popularized it.
Y'know what really grinds my gears? When people grinds my gears
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos
taylorS
sinic
sinic

Post by taylorS »

A Sci-Fi pet-peeve:

Aliens who all look like funny-looking humans (complete with fingernails and breasts) and can hybridize with us (like Spock's parents). It is highly unlikely for another intelligent species too look so similar to us. Yes, there might be some convergent evolution (opposible digits for using tools and reduced jaws because of cooking), but they will otherwise look very different. Read the novels of David Brin's "Uplift" universe for realistic aliens.
taylorS
sinic
sinic

Post by taylorS »

That said...
Zumir wrote:Another thing that grinds my gears (yes, I used to watch Family Guy, stop looking at me like that) is when a culture is never developed passed a high concept, e.g. a militaristic culture, or a pacifist culture, or a culture centered around the arts.

Totally agreed. Isn't it the thing that pops up in cliched fantasy and sci-fi all the time? i.e. Elves are ALWAYS pacifist (except for that one exception!), Klingons ALWAYS are social darwinists (or something like that), etc. etc. It's one thing to have stereotypes, but another to make them real.
You forgot the Ferengi.
CrazyEttin
sinic
sinic

Post by CrazyEttin »

taylorS wrote:A Sci-Fi pet-peeve:

Aliens who all look like funny-looking humans (complete with fingernails and breasts) and can hybridize with us (like Spock's parents). It is highly unlikely for another intelligent species too look so similar to us. Yes, there might be some convergent evolution (opposible digits for using tools and reduced jaws because of cooking), but they will otherwise look very different. Read the novels of David Brin's "Uplift" universe for realistic aliens.
Recommendation of Uplift series seconded.

And yes, rubber forehead aliens are annoying.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

taylorS wrote:A Sci-Fi pet-peeve:
Also read Robert Silverberg's "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex". He mentions that Lois Lane has more genes in common with an ear of corn than with Superman.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Micamo, way in the beginning, was absolutely right -

There are not enough "pools of sentient acid" on conworld fiction.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

eldin raigmore wrote:Also read Robert Silverberg's "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex". He mentions that Lois Lane has more genes in common with an ear of corn than with Superman.
And yet, they were able to make babies together.

Hooray, biology?

So I just reread this entire thread and it gave me a horrific idea: Eroworld, the conworld consisting solely of various sexual fetishes. Who wants to help me with this one?
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

*snort* Pass... Since joining this forum, I've realised that any kinks I have are so mild that they'll be covered (and then some) by essentially anyone else here... :roll:
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Micamo wrote: So I just reread this entire thread and it gave me a horrific idea: Eroworld, the conworld consisting solely of various sexual fetishes. Who wants to help me with this one?
Ooh! What if there's a specific fetish for each little society, and it dominates their culture; like the foot fetish people have a writing system that looks like a bunch of feet, and they never wear shoes. And people think ingrown toenails are curses.
hubris_incalculable
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by hubris_incalculable »

Monobiomic planets. Hurggg.

I'm looking at you, Star Wars.
<äʒƺçķļ>
<áéíóú>