Superweapons in Your Conworld / Connation

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Re: Superweapons in Your Conworld / Connation

Post by Hālian »

Mugitus wrote:
Carl Miller wrote:The 10-km-long Safirian flagship Amane has a spinal beam cannon that runs the full length of the ship (viz. below) and could probably glass whole worlds with one stroke.
I like the picture!
Thanks [:D]
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Such things being in command of humans is something that only exists in myth and legend in my world. An example is the Mithe figure x̱̓miƛay, a powerful witch who took a foreign (non-mithe) prince as her lover. He was very fond of her and gave her everything she desired, but eventually she got bored of him and left to go live with her family again. This made him very angry, so he and his men went to the town where her family lived to get her back, but she wasn't there because she was off meditating in the woods, so he killed everyone there and waited for her to return. When she finally did, she saw what had happened and cursed him and his men to all turn to stone. No one knows if the story is true, but to this day, deep in the forest, there's a place with hundreds of statues of men, all of their faces locked in silent screams...
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

eldin raigmore wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I was talking about hand-held crossbows with the capacity to shoot bolts at a faster rate than even normal repeating crossbows, like machinegun speeds.
I don't think there have ever been such things IRL; do you know different?
And I don't think there ever will be such things IRL; again, do you know different?
Well, I suppose there wouldn't be much point in constructing one IRL at this point anymore, since we've already invented things that can shoot, you know, bullets at machine gun speeds. [:P]

However, I'm not sure how plausible such a crossbow would be. The real-life version could apparently "easily launch ten bolts in fifteen seconds", which is impressive for a completely manually operated weapon, but pales in comparison to a machine gun. And even then, the string is under serious strain in such a thing, even though the draw weight is much less than for a more typical crossbow. Furthermore, given mankind's general inventiveness when it comes to killing each other, I sort of suspect that if the technology of the time had allowed a way to make them fire faster, someone would've discovered it.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Micamo wrote:Such things being in command of humans is something that only exists in myth and legend in my world. An example is the Mithe figure x̱̓miƛay, a powerful witch who took a foreign (non-mithe) prince as her lover. He was very fond of her and gave her everything she desired, but eventually she got bored of him and left to go live with her family again. This made him very angry, so he and his men went to the town where her family lived to get her back, but she wasn't there because she was off meditating in the woods, so he killed everyone there and waited for her to return. When she finally did, she saw what had happened and cursed him and his men to all turn to stone. No one knows if the story is true, but to this day, deep in the forest, there's a place with hundreds of statues of men, all of their faces locked in silent screams...
...the spell was easy, they say. She used their pride to lock them into stone forever.

No man should love a goddess for tasks, is the moral of a myth I've heard called Veta and Proserpina.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Lambuzhao wrote:No man should love a goddess for tasks, is the moral of a myth I've heard called Veta and Proserpina.
I googled this one to no avail: Mind telling us about it?

My shitty twitter
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Micamo wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:No man should love a goddess for tasks, is the moral of a myth I've heard called Veta and Proserpina.
I googled this one to no avail: Mind telling us about it?

Not at all. But not here. The tale has no repeating crossbows, nor Wave Motion Masers,
nor Rail Cannons, I'm afraid.

The only weapon of mass destruction in it is a payload of blind servitude nestled in a warhead of unrequited love.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

In the Divine Plane, pretty much every single person is a superweapon.

When the average decently strong person can crack mountains with their fists or someone can build a 70-story tall giant robot that is actually a brothel and which powers itself from the sexual release of its clients, it's kind of hard to determine what a "superweapon" is.

I mean I could talk about the poem which stabs everyone in a 700-mile radius with 100 billion knives whenever it's read (note that with pulling some crazy magic divine bullshit you can actually dodge the knives), or the Ever Close To Radiance Miracle, which basically works by literally taking the sun and slamming it onto the ground (though it's original purpose was not for attacking, but in order to light up the underside of Heaven), though that takes like 8 weeks to correctly perform. Or the fact that extremely powerful Ordofices may do things like drag thousands of people into a divine court instantly and deliver divine justice upon them.

Most of the "superweapons" aren't actually weapons but abilities which let you do utterly insane stuff, such as Grandiose Celestial Self-Bombardment, which warps you several hundred miles into the sky and then sends you down with such a violent impact that you slam into the Earth hard enough to not do any damage to stuff, and yet do damage to it at the same time (basically you go so fast you don't even hit the ground but you do at the same time and...uh yeah). Or Hurling The Earth Itself; I'll just let the description do the talking (Ascended are humans who have been elevated to the status of demigods by gods themselves):

The normal human must satisfy themselves with a chair or a brick, but the Ascended are far better than that. This Miracle grants the user with absurd strength for an entire solar day. For even the weakest Ascended, this allows one to easily lift and chuck a house several miles--for the strongest Ascended, this means that they now consider entire mountain ranges to be rather quaint weapons.

Who needs bombs or lasers when you can just chuck an entire mountain range at someone? For added fun combine it with Grandiose Celestial Self-Bombardment so you can literally drop a mountain range on your opponents.

The world of the Divine Plane is supposed to be a throwback to classical and epic mythology, where everyone is absurdly powerful and completely fucking crazy shit is considered practically passe, in case you couldn't tell. Also it's heavily inspired by Exalted.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Chagen wrote:In the Divine Plane, pretty much every single person is a superweapon.

When the average decently strong person can crack mountains with their fists or someone can build a 70-story tall giant robot that is actually a brothel and which powers itself from the sexual release of its clients, it's kind of hard to determine what a "superweapon" is.

I mean I could talk about the poem which stabs everyone in a 700-mile radius with 100 billion knives whenever it's read (note that with pulling some crazy magic divine bullshit you can actually dodge the knives), or the Ever Close To Radiance Miracle, which basically works by literally taking the sun and slamming it onto the ground (though it's original purpose was not for attacking, but in order to light up the underside of Heaven), though that takes like 8 weeks to correctly perform. Or the fact that extremely powerful Ordofices may do things like drag thousands of people into a divine court instantly and deliver divine justice upon them.

Most of the "superweapons" aren't actually weapons but abilities which let you do utterly insane stuff, such as Grandiose Celestial Self-Bombardment, which warps you several hundred miles into the sky and then sends you down with such a violent impact that you slam into the Earth hard enough to not do any damage to stuff, and yet do damage to it at the same time (basically you go so fast you don't even hit the ground but you do at the same time and...uh yeah). Or Hurling The Earth Itself; I'll just let the description do the talking (Ascended are humans who have been elevated to the status of demigods by gods themselves):

The normal human must satisfy themselves with a chair or a brick, but the Ascended are far better than that. This Miracle grants the user with absurd strength for an entire solar day. For even the weakest Ascended, this allows one to easily lift and chuck a house several miles--for the strongest Ascended, this means that they now consider entire mountain ranges to be rather quaint weapons.

Who needs bombs or lasers when you can just chuck an entire mountain range at someone? For added fun combine it with Grandiose Celestial Self-Bombardment so you can literally drop a mountain range on your opponents.

The world of the Divine Plane is supposed to be a throwback to classical and epic mythology, where everyone is absurdly powerful and completely fucking crazy shit is considered practically passe, in case you couldn't tell. Also it's heavily inspired by Exalted.
Why... is this even possible!?
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Ahzoh wrote:
Chagen wrote:In the Divine Plane, pretty much every single person is a superweapon.

Why... is this even possible!?
Amen!

Are there positions open for Ordofex? What do I need to send them (CV, references, skulls of vanquished, etc)? Can I send it by E-mail, Tweet, Energon-Holonet, or Psionic-Migraine?

Ugh! I am sooooo tired of satisfying myself with a chair or brick. [B)]
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Azhoh: Divinity.

Lambuzhao: Well, you have to be born with this little thing called the Spark og Greatness and then get absconded as a kid. It's pretty cool you DO also get to be a divine king fu police ninja who lives in a world made completely from gemstone where palaces are carved from pure ruby, beggers beg with plates of sapphire and there's hundred-mile long rivers of molten emerald, so it's pretty awesome. You also have access to THE most hilariously broken martial arts in the setting.

However your lifespan is magnitudes shorter than most people in the Divine Plane and you also become a brainwashed and paranoid neurotic communist so...
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

You've been playing Exalted recently, haven't you

My shitty twitter
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Yes I have been playing the most fucking awesome Tabletop RPG ever invented recently

(I actually can't play because I have no friends ;__;)

But yeah this conworld is pretty much supposed to be Exalted Meets Shounen Manga
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

I don't think my conworld has anything that strictly fits the definition of a super-weapon, given as it's (fairly) low magic and the most advanced culture that currently exists is yet to (deliberately) create steel.

That said, the oldest and most powerful wraiths (usually demons) 'leak' prana, because they lack the control to keep such a concentration of power properly contained, which has some odd effects on material environments; it also means they have a lot of force to draw upon should they decide to telekinetically break someone's face by utilising a small dwelling in an unorthodox manner. In addition to this, they tend be rather monstrous (not quite Lovecraftian, but in the same ball-park) and more than a little mad.

All in all, maps tend to need redrawing when one happens to encounter a marked settlement.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Chagen wrote:... communist so...
:?:
*sigh* always a trade-off somewhere down the line.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Well, maybe not "communist". You're part of his thing called the Gemstone Constabulary. It's a meritocracy--no money and you're automatically given a place to live and food and anything you need for assignments. If you want better stuff, you can either rise up in the ranks...or you can do what everyone does and bribe officials.
cntrational
greek
greek

Post by cntrational »

No offense, but this sounds really dumb. You're trying too hard to be awesome.
Mugitus
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Mugitus »

I'm rather surprised everyone hasn't killed one another off if everyone is so overpowered.
Nimitzitta!
Aseca
sinic
sinic

Post by Aseca »

Not quite on topic conlang wise but I thought I'd bring up an interesting point.

In the Mahabharat, they mention 'brahmastras' and 'brahmashiras' - them being equivalent to nuclear bombs by description but much more potent because they can be any object the wielder so desires to use.

And there's even the famous 'sudarshana chakra' (all-penetrating wheel) which sounds suspiciously like a boomerang or a flying disc, always hitting its target without fail.

Not only that they even mention Vimanas (Persians call them magic carpets) - flying houses or palaces. Where the 'Gods' so desired to go to, they would go there in those flying objects.
Sikatāyām kaṇam lokasya darśasi, svargam phale vanye ca.
See a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Ānantam tava karatalena darasi, nityatām ghaṇṭabhyantare ca.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Aseca wrote:Not quite on topic conlang wise but I thought I'd bring up an interesting point.

In the Mahabharat, they mention 'brahmastras' and 'brahmashiras' - them being equivalent to nuclear bombs by description but much more potent because they can be any object the wielder so desires to use.
Boushh the Bounty Hunter wielding a Hnakrapunt-6727 brahmashira-
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2008 ... boush2.jpg
And there's even the famous 'sudarshana chakra' (all-penetrating wheel) which sounds suspiciously like a boomerang or a flying disc, always hitting its target without fail.
Yautja Hunter priming his sudarshana chakra for a deadly toss-
http://www.toyboxcollection.com/wp-cont ... acc_04.jpg

Sark v 3.0 about to light up TRON v1.7 with his sudarshana chakra-
http://tron.wikia.com/wiki/File:Sark-Tr ... _Fight.png

Not only that they even mention Vimanas (Persians call them magic carpets) - flying houses or palaces. Where the 'Gods' so desired to go to, they would go there in those flying objects.
Greys' Vimana from finale of Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind-
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-B2cadbwsIws/T ... Pyxurz.jpg
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Mugitus wrote:

I'm rather surprised everyone hasn't killed one another off if everyone is so overpowered.
When everyone is broken, no one is.

Also everyone just beats the crap out of Death whenever he comes around so dying is actually pretty hard. Remember that also basically everyone will be packing Miracles (this particular conworld's jargon for "techniques") which let them do things like block anything without fail or dodge EVERYTHING (higher-level dodging Miracles let you do things like dodge an attack even when it is literally impossible). Actually killing someone is pretty hard especially when a random Akuma/God/Eldritch/etc decides to just intervene for shits and giggles.

I think a good description of the Divine Plane mindset is that when a particular Ascended got tired of getting wet in the rain, she didn't get an umbrella. She just made a Miracle which let her dodge the rain and not get wet.