The United People's Republic of Lwimaul

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Yačay256
greek
greek

The United People's Republic of Lwimaul

Post by Yačay256 »

The United People's Republic of Lwimaul (or the UPRL), more commonly known as Lwimaul, is a recent project I've started to work on for an on-Earth conculture and concountry, inspired largely by the many peeves I had with my recently finished economics class.

Anyway, a background is warranted: Lwimaul is set in the near future (not sure when yet, but between 2040 and 2060), after the collapse of petroleum reserves in the late 2030s - and the lack of any meaningful infrastructure to replace it - has led to a general collapse of the global economic order (the one we have today in the Real-World), which in turn has led to much political Chaos, including the dissolution of the United States and the cessation of northern Mexico, the fall of the PRC regime, and so on (though some countries came out okay: Brazil, still intact and having remained largely at peace during the mayhem, significantly increased its global influence). In any case, numerous countries have split off out of the US in particular, and the United People's Republic of Lwimaul - located on the eight Channel Islands off the coast of California - is one of them.

Due to the collapse, the world is not too much more technologically advanced, perhaps just ahead of cutting edge: For example, Lwimaul has an extremely extensive maglev rapid transit system - Mass Metropolitan Transit (MMT), but on mainland North America conventional rail is still almost the only technology used, as the economies of scale are not available to make it cost-effective for the the typically less organized, advanced and developed states on the mainland to have the still rather expensive maglev trains than they are for a high organized, advanced and developed city-state like Lwimaul. However, certain states - including Lwimaul - have prospered through adapting to and accepting change and building better social, political and economic systems.

The city-state itself is very densely populated: With a population of around 1.58×10^7 people, Lwimaul has a population density of roughly 13,683 people/km^2, given the Channel Islands' area of (including reclaimed land) about 1,152 square kilometres. Lwimaul is also very orderly and carefully planned, using a polycentric radial plan and clever zoning. At the ward level and the community level below it, development is fully mixed-use - with housing blocks, schools, houses of culture, factories and public open spaces all mixed in together but in a regular and algorithmic manner (which I have yet to fully figure out), but all wards are centred around major public buildings and spaces - such as the Palace of Culture & Study, Lwimaul State Open University, Central Park, the San Clementine Island Zoo & Aquarium and so on. Communities are more frequently focused around economic facilities, such as storehouses, factories, power stations and the like.

Despite this great density, due to extensive usage of integrated multi-tropic open-ocean aquaculture and advanced agricultural technologies such as intensive aquaponic skyscraper farming, the country is fully self-sufficient in and secure on basic and necessary foodstuffs, though it does participate in foreign trade in its food in exchange for foods that are not feasible to grow in and around the Channel Islands.

In the next post later I'll go into more detail on the political economy. [:D]
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!