Damta: A collaborative world

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
MirandaBrawner
rupestrian
rupestrian

Damta: A collaborative world

Post by MirandaBrawner »

Hi, I'm new to the board, and I was wondering if anyone was interested in creating a collaborative conworld. It can be magic-heavy or earthlike or anything in between. We could start by agreeing on the general parameters of the world, and then we could each create our own cultures and have them interact with each other. How does that sound?
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Re: Any interest in starting a collaborative project?

Post by Reyzadren »

Depends on what you mean by collaborative project. If you mean collaborative conworlds in the form of a descriptive encyclopedia like those by conlangers, then no. If you are referring to those as played in many gaming forums, then yes.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I prefer an earthlike project or a scifi project(with a medium hardness), if so, can I join?

@Reyzadren maybe we can do both? with few people doing the "encyclopedia-like" part and most others do the gaming-like part
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
MirandaBrawner
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by MirandaBrawner »

Thanks for the feedback. An earthlike / medium hard sci fi world sounds good. We could have different people work on different stages of the timeline, so that people interested in ancient times could work on that section, and people interested in spacefaring civilizations could work on that.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

ok (:

I already have a language family that can potentially be used for it ><
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I am open to either fantasy or medium hard scifi.
What is medium hard sci fi though? I assume we would have faster than light travel somehow? Maybe just wormholes?
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Nachtuil wrote: 01 Jul 2019 17:48 I am open to either fantasy or medium hard scifi.
What is medium hard sci fi though? I assume we would have faster than light travel somehow? Maybe just wormholes?
by medium I mean something that does not break known scientific laws but still enables some seemingly fantasic things like FTL through wormholes

so you are kinda right I think.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Ok. I'm down for it. I like wormholes. haha.
MirandaBrawner
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by MirandaBrawner »

k1234567890y wrote: 01 Jul 2019 15:36 ok (:

I already have a language family that can potentially be used for it ><
Awesome. Cant wait to see it.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I've never done one of these before so how does it work? Do we fill up a thread somewhere with our stuff? Do we use an external wiki to document things?
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Nachtuil wrote: 01 Jul 2019 19:01 I've never done one of these before so how does it work? Do we fill up a thread somewhere with our stuff? Do we use an external wiki to document things?
we can use an external wiki to store things.

also we need to decide the technological level and maybe the name of the world first.
MirandaBrawner
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by MirandaBrawner »

k1234567890y wrote: 01 Jul 2019 19:19
Nachtuil wrote: 01 Jul 2019 19:01 I've never done one of these before so how does it work? Do we fill up a thread somewhere with our stuff? Do we use an external wiki to document things?

also we need to decide the technological level and maybe the name of the world first.
I suggest the technology level for the project's present day should be about 500-1000 years ahead of the real world present day. That way space travel has been around long enough that a significant portion of people are living in space, but not so much time that the original planet has stopped being an important political center. We'll be creating a timeline that spans from the paleolithic into the space age, so people can work on whatever section of the timeline pleases them the most.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

MirandaBrawner wrote: 01 Jul 2019 21:57

I suggest the technology level for the project's present day should be about 500-1000 years ahead of the real world present day. That way space travel has been around long enough that a significant portion of people are living in space, but not so much time that the original planet has stopped being an important political center. We'll be creating a timeline that spans from the paleolithic into the space age, so people can work on whatever section of the timeline pleases them the most.
ok (: I accept

what should the home planet be like? what should the sentient species be like? can we have humans or ?
MirandaBrawner
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by MirandaBrawner »

I'm fine with anything as far as sentient species go. Since I decided the time frame, I'll let someone else decide this.
MirandaBrawner
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by MirandaBrawner »

Another question to discuss is the geography of our main planet. Should it have one big continent and some islands, a handful of major continents like the real world, or no major continents at all, just islands?
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

k1234567890y wrote: 01 Jul 2019 12:21@Reyzadren maybe we can do both? with few people doing the "encyclopedia-like" part and most others do the gaming-like part
Nvm, I'm not interested in altworlds even if it's scifi. Y'all can start without me.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

MirandaBrawner wrote: 01 Jul 2019 23:55 Another question to discuss is the geography of our main planet. Should it have one big continent and some islands, a handful of major continents like the real world, or no major continents at all, just islands?
maybe just do an alternative Earth with different shapes of continents with humans, you may change this if you want something else.

As for the geography, maybe one big continent.

The surface of the planet should be 70% water and 30% land.
MirandaBrawner
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by MirandaBrawner »

Ok, one big continent with just humans sounds good. I guess we can jump right into creating cultures then. I'll do some brainstorming on cultures and check back in when I come up with something.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

A couple options come to mind: a thread (here in C&C) seems a practical solution for discussion and working out of details. Just name the thread after your project's name!

An external wiki is an excellent idea for finished bits of lore! I'd like to recommend FrathWiki as it's well established and caters to geopoets and language inventors alike.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

elemtilas wrote: 02 Jul 2019 05:43 A couple options come to mind: a thread (here in C&C) seems a practical solution for discussion and working out of details. Just name the thread after your project's name!

An external wiki is an excellent idea for finished bits of lore! I'd like to recommend FrathWiki as it's well established and caters to geopoets and language inventors alike.
ok (: nice suggestions (:
MirandaBrawner wrote: 02 Jul 2019 02:10 Ok, one big continent with just humans sounds good. I guess we can jump right into creating cultures then. I'll do some brainstorming on cultures and check back in when I come up with something.
ok (:

I will pm you the language(s) I intend to use for the world