Conworld Tavern

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
sangi39

Conworld Tavern

Post by sangi39 »

So, someone just put this up on Facebook, and, you know what, I know it's damn specific, but it led to some really nice ideas, especially once people started getting into it. So, what would your DnD/fantasy/conworld/whatever tavern/pub/inn be like:

1) The name of your tavern
2) One dish your tavern is famous for
3) One drink your tavern is famous for
4) The favourite game, sport, or entertainment of your tavern
5) Can you sleep there for the night?
6) Price and overall vibe

And to start, this is what I came up with:

1) The Three Mushrooms (the pub's sign being a three golden agaric mushrooms with silver spots, surrounded by bronze grass)

2) Hunter's Stew - Made of whatever happens to be left over in the kitchen, thrown into a pot that's hardly ever emptied (if you're lucky, there might be some beef in there)

3) Madadh Dubh, a whisky that is typically served on the darkest and longest nights of the year, when the candles or lit and the air is cold.

4) Liar's Bones - The patrons are typically quite subdued until the dice come out and the tankards are empty. Played with knucklebone dice similar to Mongolian Shagai, each player places bets on whether or not they have the best dice rolls hidden under their cups. Some play blind, others peak.

5) There are a few spare rooms above the bar, but they are typically given to locals and regulars who the innkeeper knows will be worse off if they brave going home after a long night by the fire. For the right price, or a friendly conversation, he could be persuaded to send Old Tom on his way.

6) As a small, local pub, it's not overly expensive, although the Madadh Dubh and a few bad rounds with the bones could certainly make a dent in your wallet. The patrons are friendly, but reserved, but get a few rounds in and give them time, and they'll welcome you with open arms, and might return the favour.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Re: Conworld Tavern

Post by Reyzadren »

Taverns* aren't really popular as compared to cafes as those are the go-to hangout places in my conworld. They developed from extended resthouses, while cafes were the actual community areas, but most of these 2 types of establishments merged many similarities for diversification. One of the places in my conworld where taverns are still the more common sight is the ashenford hyper-region. Here, I will just describe a selected tavern there.

Stimulus picture of a typical tavern in hyper-region 1.

1. griuskant romanisation: kaelcij kefresh /'keltʃidʒ 'kəfrəʃ/

2 & 3: None. Food & drink are rl obsessions that do not have high importance in my conworld.
...But if you really want an answer, here's some taejdenvozes /'tedʒdənvɔzˤəs/ for you.

4: Cards & boardgames.

5: Yes, but if one really wanted a place to stay, they would go to a hotel.

6. 0, money largely does not exist in the conworld.
Vibe: ashenford aesthetics permeates the location: Portraits of heroes on the wall, swords and shields, ancient vases on the shelves, and glowing words of wisdom carved on the ceiling. Walk to the counter, and a fairy will let you know where to plug in your smartphone. Most of the guests here are tired from their travels, but there's always time for a holographic flatscreen living tapestry showing live sports and arena competitions. There are regular featured performers on most days, today it could be unplugged folk music, the next days it could be those loud songs with distortion and amplification. For those who seek some peace and quiet, follow the stairs slightly downwards to a larger space with a public place to rest. Sorry, you'll have to park your dragon outside, but our 20-daypart* safety team will ensure that they are kept warm or cold enough for their delight.

*Tavern and cafe are 2 translated terms from my conlang with no direct translation into English. The 2 words are used somewhat frivolously here.
*24/7 for you English readers
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

This is tough because the climax of my history takes place during a period in which both sides of the war were strongly against alcohol and all drugs. I have lots of details written up about restaurants, but none about bars. So instead, Im pulling information from a dream I had in May 2015.

1) The name of your tavern:
The Hungry Duck

2) One dish your tavern is famous for
Cold meat-wrapped sandwiches. Cooking isnt very well advanced on this planet

3) One drink your tavern is famous for
Red wine

4) The favourite game, sport, or entertainment of your tavern
a contact sport involving keeping a ball up in the air, involving all people present
Or, maybe a soup-eating contest.

5) Can you sleep there for the night?
Probably not.

6) Price and overall vibe
Its cheap at some times and expensive the rest of the time.

I dream a lot about restaurants, for some reason ... the word "restaurant" occurs 51 times in my dream diary, and I see at least 23 distinct dreams involving restaurants ... so I could write up dozens more of these if not for the fact that my restaurant dreams rarely involve places that sell wine. The only other dream I had involving wine would be a bit too unrealistic here.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

1. The Golden Drake
2. stewed gulldrake in imported spices and figs
3. local Svartenvautian wines
4. live band
5. of course
6. expensive, upscale
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

1. The Sign of the Heroic Nag (Ranahwalo liltekoi vazdendam) is a famous inn in Velinunda, just across the bridge from the Teremi capitol of Temrabolya. Its name comes from a local story of an old grey horse dragging a drowning boy out of the Temravalra [river] and leaving him on the step of the tavern before running through the village never to be seen again.

2. The proprietor, Enaws, is known for making a mean lemon rice pudding, but if you come during the longnight festival, you'll get to experience the real treat: longnight cookies. Made of sweet rice flour and grapefruit, the bitter cookies are the color of the sun as a reminder that the second sun will soon reappear to light the night once more. Enaws makes the best around, and so far, nobody's managed to steal his recipe --- though not for lack of trying!

3. They make their own citrus and rice wines, but everyone knows that the best drinks are imports from Tirinooh, the country to the north, whence comes beer and hard liquor unparalleled in Teremi.

4. Sul-kokyu (lit. "I have twelve") is a card game of pure luck played with a deck of cards of ranks 1-12 (one each of 1 and 12, and five suits of ranks 2-11). In less famous pubs, grains of uncooked rice are usually used to represent fractions of a ketè, the smallest unit of currency in Teremi, but at the Nag, truly appalling sums of money are often wagered on a single hand. There are, of course, other games that get played, but Sul-kokyu is one of the most popular.

5. The Nag has a veritable panoply of rooms, ranging from small rooms for traders just spending the night to large suites for the lesser nobility conducting extended business at the royal court who might find lodgings within the capitol proper to be a bit out of reach. Indeed, the current king himself has stayed at the Nag on several occasions prior to taking the throne, and is still known to drop by from time to time.

6. The Nag serves mostly upscale fare with a price to match, though nobody would think to call it overpriced. Rooms are significantly cheaper than in the city proper, but if you don't have money to burn, you can probably do better elsewhere. If you do, of course, the prestige of staying at the Heroic Nag is probably worth it, and for cleanliness and service, it may be unparalleled. Its upper class clientele makes the atmosphere a bit stuffy, but most people will still be willing to lend you an ear, especially if you don't mind matching their exorbitant buyins.
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Mándinrùh wrote: 26 Apr 2020 22:32 4. Sul-kokyu (lit. "I have twelve") is a card game of pure luck played with a deck of cards of ranks 1-12 (one each of 1 and 12, and five suits of ranks 2-11). In less famous pubs, grains of uncooked rice are usually used to represent fractions of a ketè, the smallest unit of currency in Teremi, but at the Nag, truly appalling sums of money are often wagered on a single hand. There are, of course, other games that get played, but Sul-kokyu is one of the most popular.
Have you worked out the rules or mechanics of this game and designs of the cards? That would make for a most interesting post!
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

elemtilas wrote: 26 Apr 2020 23:32 Have you worked out the rules or mechanics of this game and designs of the cards? That would make for a most interesting post!
Yes, I do have the rules worked out. From my notes:

The Setup:
Each player must place a set number of tokens (usually twelve, though with more players, this can be fewer) into the center of the table, called the pot

The Round:
1. Deal: Two cards are dealt to each player
2. Claim: If any player has cards whose values add up to twelve, they exclaim "Sul kokyu!" (standard; varies by region and socioeconomic status). The player may claim all the tokens in the pot and end the game. If multiple players get twelve, precedence is resolved as follows (with slight variation by region):
  • The Fool: A match with The Fool (rank 1) is the best pair
  • Matching Suit: Matched suits beat mismatched suits
  • High Rank: Rank of the card with the better rank
  • High Suit: Suit of the card with the better rank: Fire > Water > Life > Earth > Air
3. Turns: Each player, starting with the dealer, going around to the left may choose either to take a card or give a card. In most rulesets, this must be done without looking at the card.
  • Take a card: The player draws the top card of the deck into their hand
  • Give a card: The player takes the top card of the deck and gives it to another player
4. Count: Players total the values of the cards in their hand and then repeatedly subtract twelve until they have a number less than twelve. They must put this number of tokens in the pot. If a player chooses not to (or cannot), then they are out of the game. The player with the lowest score may take half of the tokens, rounded down. In the event of a tie, rules vary. In some rulesets, ties are broken similarly to the above, in others, tied players must split half the pot, and in yet others, no tokens may be awarded in case of a tie.
5. The player to the right of the dealer becomes the new dealer.
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog