Greenlandic! Kalaallisut!

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Re: Greenlandic! Kalaallisut!

Post by Prinsessa »

Yo.
Spoiler:
tiiliorpunga
kaffiliorputit
atuarfiliorpugut
illoqarfiliorpusi
kuuliorpoq
qimmiliopput
assilialiorpunga
Spoiler:
iipilisorpugut
limonadisorpusi
neqisorpunga
arfeq aalisagasorpoq (arfep aalisagaq nerivaa)
kalaallit puisisorpoq (kalaallitip puisi nerivaa)
iipilisopput
tiisorpoq
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

Skógvur wrote:Yo.
Spoiler:
tiiliorpunga
kaffiliorputit
atuarfiliorpugut
illoqarfiliorpusi
kuuliorpoq
qimmiliopput
assilialiorpunga
Remember, V in the third person plural is realized as <p> /p/ when it comes after <q> /q/.
Skógvur wrote:
Spoiler:
iipilisorpugut
limonadisorpusi
neqisorpunga
arfeq aalisagasorpoq (arfep aalisagaq nerivaa)
kalaallit puisisorpoq (kalaallitip puisi nerivaa)
iipilisopput
tiisorpoq
You got the ergatives wrong:
Spoiler:
arfip
kalaallip
Also, same problem with the first set of answers.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

I noticed the 3PP thing myself when I corrected it on my own, but I didn't want to lie/cheat, as this was what I wrote initially. You've fooled me a bit with those. >:[

arfip, obviously. Duh. Oops.
I based kalaallitip on angutip here.
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

NOTICE: THIS LESSON IS LARGELY INCORRECT. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF FIXING IT. BY EXTENSION, SO IS THE LESSON ABOUT PLURALS, SINCE IT WAS BASED ON THIS ONE

Lesson Three: Nouns!

Section One: the Urghgative. Urgh. Cause no one likes it.

This title embodies my hatred and bad spirits towards the making of this lesson.

What language lessons would be complete without mention of nominal morphology? That's right. None of them. Yo.

Greenlandic, as you may know already, is a (split) ergative-absolutive language, and the absolutive is the case that is unmarked. Every noun introduced thus so far have been in the absolutive case.

Now I'm sure most of you know how ergative alignments work, but just in case, here's a quick summary:

(1) The absolutive case marks direct objects and the subjects of intransitive verbs.
(2) The ergative marks the subjects of transitive verbs.

The ergative is actually used in possessive structures (it marks the possessor), but that's two lessons ahead. Patience!

So you are probably wondering, how do I mark the ergative case in Greenlandic?

Well, the postbase for it is p in the singular. Let's take a look at some nouns in the ergative:

kuup (abs. kuuk)
inuup (abs. inuk)
inussuup (abs. inussuk "inukshuk")

isigaap (abs. isigak)
assaap (abs. assak)

illoqarfiup (abs. illoqarfik)
oqaluffiup (abs. oqaluffik "church"

angutip (abs. angut "man")
eqqarsaatip (abs. eqqarsaat "thought")

puisip (abs. puisi)
tuttup (abs. tuttu "reindeer")

seqinerup (abs. seqineq "sun")
toqunerup (abs. tuqu "die" + niq "nominalizer" = toquneq "death")

kalaallip (abs. kalaalleq)
qimmip (abs. qimmeq)

As you can see, there are quite a few patterns to the ergative case; indeed, I believe it's the most unpredictable of all Greenlandic morphology. Here are observations about the ergative case:

(1) When a noun ending in a vowel is in the ergative, <p> /p/ is added to the noun without difficulty.
(2) When a noun ending in niq is in the ergative, the <q> /q/ morphs into a <r> /R/, and the ergative ending is realized as up.
(3) When a noun ending in <q> /q/ (but not in the case of niq), the <q> /q/ is removed, and the ergative ending <p> /p/ is added to the vocalic stem of the noun.
(4) When a noun ending in <k> /k/ is in the ergative, the <k> + <p> morphs into up. Remember, the vocalic sequence <iu> /iu/ [iju] exists (see footnote 1 at the end of this post), but *<au> /au/ does not. Can you figure out what /au/ changes to by looking at the example ergative words?
(5) When a noun ending in <t> /t/ is in the ergative, the ergative realization ip is tacked on to the consonantal stem.

There is a couple of words that go irregular (le gasp) when in the ergative case: the only one that I know of is qajaq (erg. qannaap).

Here are several useful transitive verbs:

tuni "give to"
uqalup "talk to"
tuquk "kill"
sana "make"
imiq "drink"
niri "eat"
iga "cook"
atuaq "read"
allat "write"
aqqutiG "travel along (lit. have as a road)"

Now you can say things! Translate these sentences.

"The Greenlander killed the seal."
"The man wrote a book."
"The kayak traveled along the river."
"The person cooked a seal."
"The reindeer killed the seal."
"The inukshuk saw you."
Spoiler:
Kalaallip puisi toquppaa.
Angutip atuagaq allappaa.
Qannaap kuuk aqqutigaa.
Inuup puisi igavaa.
Tuttup puisi toquppaa.
Inussuup takuatit.
Now, here comes the part when I ask readers for advice. What should I cover next? Greenlandic's split-ergativity or the absolutive and ergative plurals? Actually, I've decided already. [xP]
Last edited by Pirka on 12 Feb 2014 09:15, edited 4 times in total.
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

Skógvur wrote:I noticed the 3PP thing myself when I corrected it on my own, but I didn't want to lie/cheat, as this was what I wrote initially. You've fooled me a bit with those. >:[

arfip, obviously. Duh. Oops.

Utoqqatserpunga.
:c
Skógvur wrote:I based kalaallitip on angutip here.
Spoiler:
Yes, I saw. But kalaallit is both absolutive and ergative plural, its absolutive singular is kalaalleq, and its ergative singular is kalaallip. That goes for all words ending in iq in their basic form (abs.s. qimmeq, erg.s. qimmip, abs.erg.p. qimmit).
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

NOTICE: THIS LESSON IS LARGELY INCORRECT. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF FIXING IT
Section Two: the Plural!

The Greenlandic plural is a nifty little thing. What's nice about it is that the ergative and absolutive plural endings are identical, and if you know the singular ergative endings, you basically only need to change them a little to get the plural endings.

To form the Greenlandic abs./erg. plural, we need to change the ergative -p ending into a -t with only one exception: if a root ends in a <k> /k/, instead of -ut the ending will be -it.

That's basically it!

What would be the abs./erg. plurals of the following words, then?

"person"
"dog"
"school"
"book"
"town"
"kayak" (careful on this one)
Spoiler:
inuit (!)
qimmit
atuarfiit
atuagat
illoqarfiit
qaannat
That was easy.
Last edited by Pirka on 12 Feb 2014 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

I was wondering, would anyone like for me to keep writing these lessons? I'm all for it but I don't want to bother if no one wants it. If I continue, I'll consider making a PDF of the lessons so that it's not as difficult to find the lesson posts.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

This is probably about 6 or 7 months too late (I only joined this forum a few weeks ago, incidentally because I was looking for Kalaallisut resources and google turned up this thread), but this thread is awesome! I for one would love to learn more about Kalaallisut!
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

DesEsseintes wrote:This is probably about 6 or 7 months too late (I only joined this forum a few weeks ago, incidentally because I was looking for Kalaallisut resources and google turned up this thread), but this thread is awesome! I for one would love to learn more about Kalaallisut!
I'm glad you liked it. Unfortunately I'm not feeling up to write more lessons as of yet but you can always contact me with questions, and I'll do my best to answer.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Hi Pirka!

Thanks for your reply. We're now a bit "after the event", I do realise... [:'(]

I wonder what materials you've been using to learn Kalaallisut. I've been trying to find online materials as I live in Asia and won't be passing through Denmark, let alone Greenland, in the near future, but so far this thread is the most comprehensive introduction to the grammar I've come across.

I would be especially interested in finding a list of postbases, as I'm trying to raid the Kalaallisut inventory for ideas for my conlang. Would you know where I could find such a list, or better yet, an online grammar?

I really appreciate any help you can offer. [:D]
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

I can offer you three good resources.

1. Oqaaserpassualeriffik is the IT branch of Oqaasileriffik (the Institute of the Greenlandic Language) and has plenty of wonderful resources such as a dictionary and a word analyzer (it divides words into morphemes) that are being updated regularly. Check it out.
2. This is a nice introduction to West Greenlandic. It doesn't go very much into detail, but it makes up for that by being searchable and having a lengthy narrative text for you to study.
3. This is a deliciously detailed grammar, so much more so than number 2. However, due to the nature of the production it isn't searchable, but I have somewhat remedied that by undergoing a semi-Herculean effort to bookmark all the sections some two months ago. It was tedious but I think the end result was well worth it. I started retyping the grammar but I didn't get very far. Anyway, I like this grammar because it focuses a lot on the syntax of the language and it has a good list of postbases, as well as plenty of examples.

I basically used those three resources to construct these lessons as well as learn my share of Greenlandic.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Wow! Awesomeness is not a word I like to use, but this time I think I shall:

Awesomeness!!!

Big thanks [:D] I won't be sleeping tonight, what with 396 pages of Kalaalisut grammar downloaded on my phone!!! [xD]
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

I too must agree that these lessons are awesome!! It does seem like it was a lot of effort so kudos to you my friend!!

One question, what's the stress pattern for the words? Because I'm trying to sound authentic but I stumble a bit over the long words... Anyway thanks! This is so cool [:)] Greenlandic seems like a very pretty and (at least judging by these lessons) very regular language. I'm sure that once you get over its polysynthesis then it gets quite easy.
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

kanejam wrote:I too must agree that these lessons are awesome!! It does seem like it was a lot of effort so kudos to you my friend!!
Glad you liked it.
kanejam wrote:One question, what's the stress pattern for the words? Because I'm trying to sound authentic but I stumble a bit over the long words... Anyway thanks! This is so cool [:)] Greenlandic seems like a very pretty and (at least judging by these lessons) very regular language. I'm sure that once you get over its polysynthesis then it gets quite easy.
Check out number three on the resources list I put up above. There's a section somewhere in chapter one (just look in the bookmarks) that deals with intonation patterns.