Lingua Latīna - Lēctiōnēs

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Ambrisio
greek
greek

Re: Lingua Latīna - Lēctiōnēs

Post by Ambrisio »

Mālus
I wanted to say 'Apple'.
fesse, territe, ignave
I just read that as 'fessē, territē, ignavē' but without the macrons. Are those forms correct? (ignavē -> lazily, etc.)
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Agh, I almost got the whole next lesson done and then the page refreshed and I lost half of it [:S]
Ambrisio wrote:
Mālus
I wanted to say 'Apple'.
Ah! Sorry, I didn't know how to say apple in Latin :P looking it up though, mālus is for apple trees, the fruit itself is mālum.
Ambrisio wrote:
fesse, territe, ignave
I just read that as 'fessē, territē, ignavē' but without the macrons. Are those forms correct? (ignavē -> lazily, etc.)
Yes it should be without the macrons, as in mūle, monache etc. Latin adverbs aren't the most regular things in the world, so I'm not entirely sure if fessē, territē or īgnāvē exists. You could probably get away with using them though , unless

Also just looked it up and it's īgnāvus, that's my bad though.
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Lēctiō Sex

Housekeeping

Because Latin has reflexive pronouns, when a third person pronoun is used in a sentence, it will generally mean that it's referring to someone other than the subject of the sentence. This corresponds to English usage: he cut himself vs. he cut him.

If you ever need to put adjectives into the vocative case, just remember that adjectives endings are all the same as their corresponding nouns, so only bonus nouns in the masculine singular have a form that actually differs from the nominative.

Genitive Case

The genitive case is usually translated with 'of' and covers pretty much every meaning of the English word 'of'. It might be possessive as in Benedictī vīnum - 'Benedict's wine', fēminae cullucus - 'the woman's hood', or to indicate a quantity: amphora vinī - 'an amphora of wine', sarcina ōvōrum 'a bag of eggs' or as a simple genitive: amor Deī - 'love of God'. Note that this last sentence is ambiguous as to whether it is others' love of God or God's own love.

The good news is that you have already learnt the singular endings already. For silva, mulus, ager and puer nouns, the genitive is identical to the nominative plural. So our flagship nouns in the genitive are: silvae, mūlī, agrī and puerī. Vinum nouns, rather than following their own plural nominative, follow the rest of the second declension and take : vīnī.

In the plural, the endings are -ārum for the first declension and -ōrum for all the second declension nouns: silvārum, mūlōrum, agrōrum, puerōrum and vīnōrum. There, that wasn't so hard was it? Because it is possible to tell what declension a noun is when you have both its nominative and genitive, these are the two forms that are given in reference material.

Questions

As in most languages, there are two main types of questions, question-word questions (open questions) and yes-no questions (closed questions) and we will look at yes-no questions first. They are very simple: simply add the enclitic -ne to the first word in the sentence. You can add it to another word to add emphasis but generally it likes to be near the beginning of the question clause: tūne es Lucia? - 'are you Lucy?'.

Sometimes you might want to load the question. If you are expecting an affirmative reply, then precede the question with nōnne (which is a compound of nōn + -ne): nōnne episcopus sanctus est? - 'the bishop is saintly, isn't he? surely the bishop is saintly?'. If you expect a negative reply then use num: num discipulī īgnāvī sunt? - 'the students aren't lazy, are they? surely the students aren't lazy?'. Note that you shouldn't negate the sentence, even though you would in English.

Question-word questions are similar to English or any other Western European language. They start with a question word such as quid - 'what', quis - 'who', ubī - 'where', quandō - 'when', cūr - 'why' and quam/quōmodo - 'how, in what way': quis es? - 'who are you?', ubī sum? - 'where am I?'. You don't need to invert the subject and verb as you do in English though: cūr mūlus silvam nōn amat? - 'why doesn't the mule like the wood?'.

There is also quantus/-a/-um - 'how many', and like in most Romance languages it acts adjectivally (as a bonus adjective) and agrees with its substantive.

Answers

To answer a question-word question is easy - simply give the information requested. Cūr mūlus equōs nōn amat? Quod equī nōn laborant. - 'Why don't mules like horses? Because horses don't work.' To answer a yes-no question is a little more difficult as Latin has no words for 'yes' and 'no'.

The easiest way is to simply repeat what was in the question: num Sparta insula est? Sparta nōn (insula) est! - 'Sparta isn't an island is it? No, Sparta isn't (an island)!'. But there a few roundabout ways to say yes or no. One such pair of constructions are ita vērō - 'truly so' i.e. 'yes' and nōn ita - 'not so' i.e. 'no'.

Verbs

For now we will focus on the indicative mood, although Latin also has an imperative and subjunctive as well as a few non-finite thingies. We will also focus on the active voice, although there is also a passive. Latin verbs in the indicative distinguish all three tenses, past present and future, across both the non-perfect and perfect aspects. From here on I will talk about tense in the grammarian sense rather than the linguistic sense.

We know about the present, next we will learn about the imperfect. I will leave it until next lesson to fully introduce it, so for now I will just give a taste: sum (esse) has the irregular stem er-; it's conjugation in the active imperfect is eram - 'I was', erās - 'thou wast', erat - 's/he/it was', erāmus - 'we were', erātis - 'you were', erant - 'they were'. After that we will learn the future. Here's the future of sum (esse): erō - 'I will be', eris - 'thou will be', erit - 's/he/it will be', erimus - 'we will be', eritis - 'you will be', erunt - 'they will be'. The catch here is that the plural of erit is erunt.

Trust me, learning these properly will help you immensely when declining other verbs into the imperfect and future.

Exercises

Just a short lesson this time. Next lesson we will look more at verbs, and if there's time I will put in a bit about either numerals or the dative. Or would you rather explore another declension? Anyway, vocab:
Spoiler:
- fēmina, fēminae - f 'woman'
- amphora, amphorae - f 'amphora (a type of clay pitcher)'
- episcopus, episcopī - m 'bishop'
- amor, amōris - m 'love' (3rd declension, don't worry about this fellow just yet)
- aqua, aquae - f 'water'
- amīcus, amīcī - m 'male friend'
- amīca, amīcae - f 'female friend'
- terra, terrae - f 'ground'
- umbra, umbrae - f 'shadows'
- figūra, figūrae - f 'shape'

- bibō, bibere - 'drink'
- cadō, cadere - 'fall'
- dēclīnō, dēclīnāre - 'bend, swerve'
- videō, vidēre - 'see'
- currō, currere - 'run'
- rogō, rogāre - 'ask'
- festīnō, festāre - 'hurry'

- lentus, lenta, lentum - 'slow'
- celer, celeris, celere - 'quick' (3rd declension, again don't get worried just yet)
- amīcus, amīca, amīcum - 'friendly' (note there might be ambiguity here)
- mortuus, mortua, mortuum - 'dead'
- sanctus, sancta, sanctum - 'saintly'

- nunc - 'now'
- mox - 'soon'
- saepē - 'often'
- semper - 'always'
- quod - 'because'
- tamen - 'however'
- subitō - 'suddenly'
Reading exercise, rewrite it with long vowels marked: Ricardus cum mulus in silva umbrosa ambulat. Subito, equum Ricardus et mulus vident. Celeriter equus per viam ad Ricardum mulusque currit. In equo est monachus in cucullo. Equus, ab umbris territus, videt eos et subito e via in silvam declinat. Monachus ex equo in terram cadit. Nunc Ricardus ad monachum festinat. Figura tamen non monachi sed feminae est. Ricardus feminam spectat.
'Nonne es mortua?' rogat Ricardus.
'Mortua? Non ita. Ubi sum? In silvis?'
'Ita vero.'
'O malum est!'
'Lente! Quis es?' rogat Ricardus.
'Sum Lucia, filia Egbertae.'

Translate into Latin:
- I'm drinking Stephen's wine.
- I always see dead women.
- Why is the maid working with the monks?
- Where was the horse's field?
- You are mules' sons and daughters.
- He will soon be master of the school, and we will be Paul's students.
- The shape of the monastery is good.
- I see the amphoras of perfumes and the sacks of wines and food.
- 'Why are y'all hurrying?' asked Julius.
- The shadows don't like us, but we like the shadows.
Last edited by kanejam on 07 Jul 2013 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
Ambrisio
greek
greek

Post by Ambrisio »

Spoiler:
Ricardus cum mūlus in silvā umbrōsā ambulat. Subito, equum Ricardus et mūlus vident. Celeriter equus per viam ad Ricardum mūlusque currit. In equō est monachus in cucullō. Equus, ab umbris territus, videt eōs et subito e viā in silvam dēclīnat. Monachus ex equō in terram cadit. Nunc Ricardus ad monachum festīnat. Figūra tamen nōn monachī sed fēminae est. Ricardus fēminam spectat.

'Nōnne es mortua?' rogat Ricardus.
'Mortua? Nōn ita. Ubī sum? In silvīs?'
'Ita vērō.'
'O malum est!'
'Lentē! Quis es?' rogat Ricardus.
'Sum Lucia, fīlia Egbertae.'

(Ego) vīnum Stephanī bibō.
Semper fēminās mortuās videō.
Cūr ancilla cum monachīs laborat?
Ubī erat silva equī?
Fīliī et fīliae mūlōrum estis.
Is mox erit magister scholae, et discipulī Paulī erimus.
Figūra monnastēriī est bona.
Amphorās unguentōrum et sarcinās cibōrum vīnōrumque videō.
'Prō quō festīnātis?' rogat Julius. (I used the Vulgar Latin word for 'why' since I couldn't think of a good dialectal word for y'all.)
Umbrae nōs nōn amant, sed eās amāmus
Last edited by Ambrisio on 07 Jul 2013 02:38, edited 2 times in total.
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Spoiler:
Ricardus cum mūlus in silvā umbrōsā ambulat. Subitō, equum Ricardus et mūlus vident. Celeriter equus per viam ad Ricardum mūlusque currit. In equō est monachus in cucullō. Equus, ab umbrīs territus, videt eōs et subitō ē viā in silvam dēclīnat. Monachus ēx equō in terram cadit. Nunc Ricardus ad monachum festīnat. Figūra tamen nōn monachī sed fēminae est. Ricardus fēminam spectat.

'Nōnne es mortua?' rogat Ricardus.
'Mortua? Nōn ita. Ubī sum? In silvīs?'
'Ita vērō.'
'O malum est!'
'Lentē! Quis es?' rogat Ricardus.
'Sum Lucia, fīlia Egbertae.'

Vīnum Stephanī bibō. [tick]
Semper fēminās mortuās videō. [tick]
Cūr ancilla cum monachīs laborat? [tick]
Ubī erat silva ager equī? [info]
Fīliī et fīliae mūlōrum estis. [tick]
Is mox erit magister scholae, et discipulī Paulī erimus. [tick]
Figūra monnastēriī monastēriī est bona. [tick]
Amphorās unguentōrum et sarcinās cibōrum vīnōrumque videō. [tick]
'Cūr festīnātis?' rogat Julius. [tick] (I can't think of a good dialectal word to translate y'all, however - that's good, I only wanted the verb in 2pl)
Umbrae nōs nōn amant, sed eās amāmus. [tick] (sed (nōs) umbrās amāmus would also be right)
Excellent! You only missed a couple of long vowels and two of them were my fault because I didn't mark the long vowel in subitō. And no major errors in the exercises.
Ambrisio
greek
greek

Post by Ambrisio »

I decided on Vulgar Latin: "Prō quō festīnātis?"
ēx
I guess I have to get used to reading it with a tense vowel! (As an aside, pronouncing the short vowels lax really helps me remember where to put the macrons.)
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Lēctiō Septem

First and Second Conjugations

The first declension verbs are the -āre verbs and the second declension verbs are the -ēre verbs. I'm grouping them together because apart from the difference in their thematic vowel, they behave quite similarly. Hopefully you already know the present conjugations for these verbs. The present is used to express either general facts or actions that are happening now, so that portō might be translated as 'I carry', 'I do carry' or 'I'm carrying'.

The imperfect is used to express something that happened in the past that wasn't completed (or at least not necessarily) and corresponds to both the English simple past and past continuous, so that portābam might be translated as 'I carried', 'I did carry', 'I was carrying' or 'I used to carry'. For the first two conjugations, simply remove the -re to get the stem, add a -b- and then tack on the endings to sum, esse that you learnt in the last lesson.

Just in case that was convoluted, here are the imperfects for portō, portāre and videō, vidēre:

Code: Select all

_______|_1sg____|_2sg____|_3sg____|_1pl______|_2pl______|_3pl____
portāre|portābam|portābās|portābat|portābāmus|portābātis|portābant
vidēre |vidēbam |vidēbās |vidēbat |vidēbāmus |vidēbātis |vidēbant
To form the present imperative (yes there are other imperatives) in the singular is just the bare stem i.e. portā! - 'carry!', vidē! - 'see!'. To make the plural, simply tack -te onto the end. If you are astute, you will notice that these have the same endings as salvē/salvēte, avē/avēte and valē/valēte. This is because they are all in fact derived from imperatives of verbs roughly meaning 'to be well', although only the last one (goodbye) is completely transparent. Valē/valēte derive from valeo, valēre - 'to be strong, well, healthy'.

Here are two useful, irregular verbs: volō, velle - 'want' and possum, posse - 'can'. To use these, simply add it after the present infinitive of another verb: equōs audīre non possum - 'I can't hear horses', edere nōn volō - 'I don't want to eat'. To work out the conjugation of possum, add the root pot- (from potis - 'able') to the inflected form of esse, with the following small rules: -ts- becomes -ss-, -tf- becomes -t- and -tess- becomes -ss-. Those last two rules will come in handy later. The whole conjugation is formed this way.

The conjugation of velle is a little bit more irregular, but it just needs to be learnt. Here it is in the present: volō, vīs, vult, volumus, vultis, volunt. The imperfect is actually regular on the stem volē- so that it looks like this: volēbam, volēbās, volēbat, volēbāmus, volēbātis, volēbant. It should be used as an auxiliary; for a plain transitive verb, use dēsīderāre.

While we mentioned a verb derived from sum, I will add one more. Latin quite like its prepositional inclusion in the verb phrase, as do the Germanic languages. The verb absum, abesse conjugates just like sum, esse and means 'to be away from, to be absent'. So rather than saying *longē ā monastēriō agrōque sunt you would say monastērium et ager longē absunt, both meaning 'they are far from the field and monastery'.

Numbers

The first three cardinal numbers in Latin are ūnus, duo, trēs. These three numbers, and any other numbers that ends in one of these three, inflect for case and gender when they act adjectivally on nouns. Ūnus acts like a bonus adjective except that it has irregular genitives and datives in the singular. The singular genitive for all three genders is ūnīus. Otherwise it behaves normally. Duo and trēs are a little funkier so we will leave them for now. The next digits are quattuor, quīnque, sex, septem, octō, novem, decem. None of these decline at all.

The digits from 11-17 are basically number+decim although a few numbers change shape, much like English number+teen. Here they are: ūndecim, duodecim, trēdecim, quattuordecim, quīndecim, sēdecim, septendecim. To get the next two numbers, instead of saying eight+teen and nine+teen, we say 'two from twenty', 'one from twenty': duodēvīgintī, ūndēvīgintī. Hopefully you guessed that vīgintī is the word for twenty. For the numbers 21-27, simply put the second digit after the word twenty, as you would in English: vīgintī ūnus, vīgintī duo etc. For 28 and 29, you can follow this pattern, and have vīgintī octō, vīgintī novem or do the same things as 18 and 19: duodētrīgintā, ūndētrīgintā and yes, the Latin word for thirty is trīgintā.

Hopefully you Roman numerals already, but here's a quick demo: I is one, V is five, X is ten, L is fifty, C is one hundred, D is five hundred and M is one thousand. Simply build the numbers up starting with the biggest. When are smaller digit precedes a larger digit, subtract the smaller digit: IX is nine. Supposedly this isn't a Classical thing and was introduced in the Renaissance, and so in classical times you would be more likely to see IIII than IV.

The ordinals (1st, 2nd etc) from 1-10 are prīmus, secundus, tertius, quārtus, quīntus, sextus, septimus, octāvus, nōnus, decimus. If you need help remembering them, think of the English sequence primary, secondary, tertiary, then the English words quartet, quintet, sextet and hopefully you can remember the last four on your own. All the ordinals end in -us and fortunately all of them behave as bonus adjectives.

Lastly, three number related words: semel - 'once', bis - 'twice' and ter - 'thrice'. There is a larger set of these but these three will do for now.

A Note On Latin

Throughout the medieval age, Latin was used as a lingua franca among the educated peoples of Western Europe and by the Roman Catholic church as an ecclesiastical language. During the Renaissance it underwent a large resurgence in popularity, and became especially popular with scientists and mathematicians, who might publish their entire works in Latin. During this period, people drew on large amounts of Latin and Greek words and put them in their own language, and also they corrected forms that they though were 'wrong', which is why in English we have the b in debt even though it has never been pronounced.

A lot of the words borrowed from Latin and Greek were put to use in specific and scientific contexts, when a scientist needed a word more precise than any in Enghlish, or when a writer wanted to be particularly verbose and bombastic and show off their knowledge of Latin. However, a lot of these words would be taken from simple Latin roots. So often we get the wrong impression that Latin itself was verbose an bombastic, but this is simply not the case. Culpa, culpae, whence we get culpable, was just the ordinary word for 'fault, blame'. Verbum, verbī, whence we get verbose, was just the everyday word for 'word'. To concur (from concurrō, concurrere) with someone seems a bit more aloof than to agree.

English has been flooded with words of this type, which have more or less been left intact. The other major influx of Latin descended words was in during the Norman conquest via French. So these have been disguised by French diachronics and also have melted into native English morphophonology quite well e.g. desire from French désirer from dēsīderāre. There are also a few words that arrived in English directly from Classical Latin, before 1066, such as monachus -> monk, castellum -> castle, discipulus -> disciple.

A lot of words we learn will have cognates in English, and if you are familiar with a Romance language, you may recognise a whole lot more, but Latin has many false friends and words with slightly changed meanings and words that didn't survive in any daughter languages. Examples are the words video and audio which we have seen before.

Exercises

Up next we will look at the dative case and the other two verb conjugations and probably the future case. Here is the vocab list:
Spoiler:
- castellum, castellī - n 'castle'
- verbum, verbī - n 'word'
- dominus, dominī - m 'lord, sir'
- domina, dominae - f 'lady'
- histioria, historiae - f 'story'
- christianus, christianī - m 'christian'

- volō, velle - 'wish, want'
- possum, posse - 'can'
- absum, abesse - 'to be away from, to be absent'
- edō, edere - 'eat'
- narrō, narrāre - 'to tell'
- valeō, valēre - 'to be strong, well, healthy'

- semel - 'once'
- bis - 'twice'
- ter - 'thrice'
Translate the following into Latin:
- They want four amphoras of perfume.
- I saw one horse.
- We were watching the second monk.
- The woman in the castle could carry a mule.
- The monks want to eat.
- You (pl) will be lazy.
- The five lords of the town can carry the eight ladies of the town.
- He was watching the woman's horse.

Translate into English
- Magister scholae historiam christianōrum narrat.
- Monachī erāmus.
- Mūlōs portāre vīs.
- Cibum dēsīderābant.
- In monastēriīs monachī habitābant.

Write these in Roman numerals as well as, for the first five, proper words e.g 25 - XXV - vīgintī quīnque.
Last edited by kanejam on 09 Jul 2013 06:38, edited 3 times in total.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

careful with spelling -

discipulus, non disculupus
Spoiler:
{This would, however, be an interesting etymon to derive a romlang word}
trīgintā, non trēgintā

And gender
castellum (>castrum), non castellus

And case

*longē ā monasterio agroque sunt

you would say monasterio et agro longē absunt, both meaning 'they are far from the field and monastery'.
[;)]
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Thanks for picking up those errors!! I definitely made quite a few. That will serve me right for posting tired [:P] with the sentence monastērium et ager longē absunt, does that still work if I want it to mean 'the monastery and field are far away'?
Spoiler:
disculupus -> décaupe, descolpo, zesculpu
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Celi-Folia wrote: > The ser-estar distinction differs between Romance language, where in Italian and Occitan for instance, the cognate of stāre is much less common than in Spanish, and while Old French had the distinction the two merged into one in modern French. But how it started, I'm not totally sure..
[O.O]
Ooh, I just found this little tome that will elucidate some (nice Classical Latin possible precursors to the Vulgar Romance copula)

Martin Harris & Paolo Ramat. Historical development of Auxilliaries

I found the example from De rerum natura when using Perseus study tool.

tanta stat praedita natura mundi culpa
So great the flaws with which the nature of the world stand beset
(Lucr. 2,81)
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

kanejam wrote:Thanks for picking up those errors!! I definitely made quite a few. That will serve me right for posting tired [:P] with the sentence monastērium et ager longē absunt, does that still work if I want it to mean 'the monastery and field are far away'?
secundum Leverett, ita est -
castra aberant bidui - The camps were two days journey away.
Spoiler:
disculupus -> décaupe, descolpo, zesculpu
[/quote]
Spoiler:
+->*diesgolpo; +->gescuibo, gesquebo
Ambrisio
greek
greek

Post by Ambrisio »

volō, vīs, vult, volumus, vultis, volunt
That's very irregular. How could such a conjugation possibly have emerged naturally? Sounds like one of my attempts at conjugating 'to be' in my conlang Kinuiltys (the words to the left are personal pronouns):

sē bulo, tē cha, lī pora, nēs kshobi, tīs muke, lois tūpyk (and the infinitive form is eryn!)

And a typical verb looks like selyn 'to want' (which could translate velle or dēsīderāre, even though there's another verb, rēselyn, that can't take an infinitive verb as its sister)
sē selam, tē selith, lī sela, nēs selmes, tīs seltes, lois selen

And it just so happens that volē is a Kinuiltys word, meaning 'four'!
Spoiler:
Eī quattuor amphorās unguentī volunt.
Ūnum equum vidēbam.
Alterum spectābamus.
Fēmina in castellō mūlum edere poterat.
Monachī edere volunt.
Vōs eritis īgnāvī.
Quīnque dominī octō dominās oppidī portāre potest.
Is equum fēminae spectābat.

The master of the school tells the story of the Christians.
We were monks.
You want to carry mules.
They wanted food.
In monasteries lived monks (or Monks lived in monasteries)

XIII: trēdecim
XXIV: vīgintī quattuor
IX: novem
XVIII (or IIXX?): duodēvīgintī
XXXII: trīgintā duo
CCXLIV: (CC?) quadrāgintā quattuor
MDCCCLXII: mille(long vowels?) (DCCC?) sexāgintā duo
MMXIII: (MM?) trēdecim
How would you say the numbers from CI to M (which is M squared, by the way)?
As an aside, what's the Latin word for zero? (I know that there's no 'official' Roman numeral for zero, but I think I've read that the symbol N was used, for example, when calculating the date of Easter, which involved arithmetic in the ring Z/19Z, or maybe I should say Z/XIXZ, quod Rōmānī sumus!)

And did you know which ancient civilization was really the first to discover zero? (HINT: It isn't where the numerals we use today come from.)
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Ambrisio wrote:
volō, vīs, vult, volumus, vultis, volunt
That's very irregular. How could such a conjugation possibly have emerged naturally?
Well older forms of vult and vultis are volt, voltis, so then the conjugation is sort of regular on vol- and the only real weirdo is vīs. I think it seems irregular because it is, in some place, a consonant stem. I don't know whether the original verb in PIE was irregular or not but simple sound changes etc. could have made it irregular.
Ambrisio wrote:Sounds like one of my attempts at conjugating 'to be' in my conlang Kinuiltys (the words to the left are personal pronouns):

sē bulo, tē cha, lī pora, nēs kshobi, tīs muke, lois tūpyk (and the infinitive form is eryn!)

And a typical verb looks like selyn 'to want':
sē selam, tē selith, lī sela, nēs selmes, tīs seltes, lois selen
You're eryn verb is crazy! I would say that irregularity definitely trumps anything in Latin. Do you have any diachronic justification for it?
Ambrisio wrote:
Spoiler:
(Eī) quattuor amphorās unguentī volunt. [tick]
Ūnum equum vidēbam. [tick]
Alterum spectābamus. [info] Was this from google translate? This could definitely be translated 'we watched the second one' but what I was going four was to use the ordinal (but then I realised that would mean using res - 'thing' which we haven't learnt yet so I've changed it)
Fēmina in castellō mūlum edere poterat. [info] I'll just assume this was a joke :P
Monachī edere volunt. [tick]
(Vōs) eritis īgnāvī. [tick]
Quīnque dominī (oppidī) octō dominās oppidī portāre potest. [tick]
Is equum fēminae spectābat. [tick]

The master of the school tells the story of the Christians. [tick]
We were monks. [tick]
You want to carry mules. [tick]
They wanted food. [tick]
In monasteries lived monks (or Monks lived in monasteries) [tick] (second one is probably better)

XIII: trēdecim [tick]
XXIV: vīgintī quattuor [tick] **Remember that this would probably have been more common as XXIIII
IX: novem [tick]
XVIII (or IIXX?): duodēvīgintī [tick] **I should have said this, the subtraction thing only works with a single digit, so you could never have IIXX
XXXII: trīgintā duo [tick]
CCXLIV: ducentī quadrāgintā quattuor
MDCCCLXII: mīlle octingentī sexāgintā duo
MMXIII: duo mīlia trēdecim
How would you say the numbers from CI to M (which is M squared, by the way)? - I will do this next lesson [:D]
As an aside, what's the Latin word for zero? (I know that there's no 'official' Roman numeral for zero, but I think I've read that the symbol N was used, for example, when calculating the date of Easter, which involved arithmetic in the ring Z/19Z, or maybe I should say Z/XIXZ, quod Rōmānī sumus!)

And did you know which ancient civilization was really the first to discover zero? (HINT: It isn't where the numerals we use today come from.)
Very good, no major corrections. I will cover higher numbers in the next lesson. It's not that there was no numeral for zero, it's that the concept of zero didn't exist. If you want to say zero, you have to use nihil - 'nothing'.

Edit: no I don't really know where zero comes from, I though it was some Indian civilisation.
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Lēctiō Octō

Dative Case

If you want translate 'to somewhere' or 'towards a place', you must use the accusative. For all other meanings of 'to' and also for all meanings of 'for', the dative case is used: Paulus Benedictō cibum vinumque portat - 'Paul is bringing the food and wine to/for Benedict'. I have good news about the dative case: you already know all the endings. For regular first and second declension nouns, the plural ending is -īs, and indistinguishable from the ablative plural. For second declension nouns (mulus, ager, puer and vinum nouns) the singular is also the same as the ablative , and for the first declension (silva) nouns, it merges instead with the genitive -ae.

Here are some more examples: discipulus nōn episcopō sed abbātissae unguentum dat - 'the student gave perfume not to the bishop but to the abbess'; ancillae monachīs cibum portābant - the maids were carrying the food to the monks'.

You now know all the cases apart from a single rare case, the locative. It's use has mostly been completely taken over by the ablative and only survives for the names of cities and small islands, as well as a couple of isolated words. For first and second declension nouns, it is the same as the genitive in the singular and the ablative in the plural: Rōmae - 'in Rome'. Most Roman place names are first declension.

Pronouns

Since we have introduced two new cases, it is time to fill in the pronouns. The first and second person pronouns as well as the reflexive pronouns all have separate possessive forms that act adjectivally. These are separate from the genitive, and they are used much the same as in English. They are meus, mea, meum; tuus, tua, tuum; suus, sua, suum; noster, nostra, nostrum; vester, vestra, vestrum.

The genitive forms of the pronouns are meī, tuī, suī, ejus (also eius, this is the same regardless of gender) nostrī, vestrī, eōrum/eārum (it does matter for gender in the plural). Lastly, the datives for the plurals is the same as the ablatives: nōbīs, vōbīs, eīs. For the singular pronouns, their forms are a bit different: mihi, tibi, sibi, eī regardless of the gender.

Just to clarify, the only time you worry about the gender of the person the pronoun is referring to is with the third person singular pronouns in the nominative, accusative and ablative, and with the third person plural pronouns in the nominative, accusative and genitive.

Just as a last note, we might introduce the demonstratives: hic, haec, hoc - 'this', iste, ista, illud - 'that by you' and ille, illa, illud - 'that over there'. As you can see, Latin has a three-way distality distinction. I have put a link to the respective wiktionary pages so you can learn their irregular declensions on your own if you want. There are just a few notes to be made. They all agree with the gender of their referent and like other adjectives the three forms I have given are their masculine, feminine and neuter forms respectively. Iste and its family can be used more pejoratively or disparagingly. Ille in contrast casts the referent in a positive light. Ille is also the ancestor to all the Romance definite articles except Sardinian.

Verbs

Third conjugation verbs are verbs ending in -ere in the present infinitive such as bibere - 'to drink'. Fourth conjugation verbs are those ending in īre in the present infinitive, such as audīre - 'to hear, to listen'. Their conjugations aren't too hard: for the present tense, bibere inflected as if its stem were bibi- with the exception of bibō - 'I drink' and no vowel lengthening: bibō, bibis, bibit, bibimus, bibitis, bibunt. Note that bibunt is the plural of bibit, just like erit's plural is erunt. For the imperfect, the stem is bebē: bibēbam, bibēbās, bibēbat, bibēbāmus, bibēbātis, bibēbant.

For audīre, the present stem is audī- with vowel shortening in similar fashion to first and second conjugation verbs, although note an -i- is kept in the first person, like the -e- in the second conjugation and unlike the first and third conjugations where -ō replaces the stem vowel. So we get audiō, audīs, audit, audīmus, audītis, audiunt. Note the -iunt ending of the third person plural. For the imperfect, the root changes to audiē-: audiēbam, audiēbās, audiēbat, audiēbāmus, audiēbātis, audiēbant.

Now you know all the verb conjugations, it's time to learn a few useful verbs. Firstly, there is the verb dō, dare - 'give'. Just by looking at it, you should be able to guess that it is irregular, however it behaves much like an -āre verb, except that there are only two forms with a long ā: dās - you 'give' and - 'give!'. Here's the present and imperfect: dō, dās, dat, damus, datis, dant; dabam, dabās, dabat, dabāmus, dabātis, dabant. The recipient takes the dative case and the thing being given takes the accusative.

Next up is eō, īre - 'go'. It is also sort of regular on ī- in both the present and imperfect: eō, īs, it, īmus, ītis, eunt; ībam, ībās, ībat, ībāmus, ībātis, ībant. The imperative forms are also regular: ī, īte. Note that the location is in the accusative case. It also does the prepositional inclusion thingy that sum, esse does.

The next two are regular verbs: dēbeō, dēbēre - 'should, ought, owe' and habeō, habere - 'have'. The first works much like volō, velle and possum, posse: cantāre debēs - 'you should sing'. The second works most as English's have, and can often indicate possession: Benedictus cibum habet - 'Benedict has food'. It is used to say your age: habeō annōs ūndēvīgintī - 'I'm nineteen'. This construction (and also simply using the genitive) puts focus on the possessor. Another construction puts emphasis on the thing being possessed: cibus Benedictō est - 'the food is Benedict's', literally 'the food is to Benedict'.

Numbers

The tens numbers are decem, vīgintī, trīgintā, quadrāgintā, quīnquāgintā, sexāgintā, septuāgintā, octōgintā, and nōnāgintā. All are indeclineable. The numbers in between are made the same way as the numbers from 20 up, although I have read people who say that every number 21-99 was of the form 'four and twenty' rather than 'twenty four'. I don't know which is correct so you can probably use whichever appeals to you.For a number like 59 you can use either ūndēsexāgintā or quīnquāgintā noverm, although I think the former is more classical. This works for all two digit numbers ending in 8 or 9 except 18 and 19, where you have to use duodēvīgintī, ūndēvīgintī.

The word for one hundred is centum. It is indeclineable in the singular but does decline in the plural - it acts as a bonus adjective in the plural. The hundreds numbers are: ducentī, trēcentī, quadringentī, quīngentī, sescentī, septingentī, octingenti, nōngentī. These are all the masculine forms. The word for one thousand is mīlle and is similar to centum in that it is indeclineable in the singular but declines in the plural, although it is irregular. All multiples of mīlle are formed by simply placing the number in front of mīlia, so 2000 is duo mīlia and 500,000 is quīngentī mīlia.

After this my knowledge fails me. The Latin word for one million supposedly is deciēs centēna mīlia which means 'ten-times hundreds thousands'. The word mīliō was later introduced by Latin scholars and is third declension like lēctiō and quaestiō. This link is about the best and most extensive resource I can find. Just be very careful though because it has a lot of spelling errors on top of not marking vowel length.

Exercises

Next lesson, future and third declension. Vocab:
Spoiler:
- ludus, ludī - m 'game'
- abbātissa, abbātissae - f 'abbess' (female abbot)
- folium, foliī - n 'leaf'
- ramus, ramī - m 'branch'
- tunica, tunicae - f 'tunic, dress'
- oculus, oculī - m 'eye'
- ventus, ventī - m 'wind'
- cervisia, cervisiae - f 'beer'
- oboedientia, oboedientiae - f 'duty, obedience'

- dō, dare - 'give'
- debeō, debēre - 'should, ought to'
- habeō, habēre - 'have'
- crepō, crepāre - 'rattle, rustle'
- effugiō, effugīre - 'flee, escape'
- prōtegō, prōtegere - 'cover, protect'
- veniō, venīre - 'come'
- adsum, adesse - 'be present, be here'
- aperiō, aperīre - 'open, uncover'
- bibō, bibere - 'drink'
- eō, īre - 'go'
- emō, emere - 'buy'

- saevus - 'cruel'
- immotus - 'motionless, immobile'
- scissus - 'torn'
- timidus - 'timid, fearful'
- anxius - 'concerned'
- trepidus - 'nervous'
- frīgidus - 'cold'
- pulcher, pulchra, pulchrum - 'beautiful'

- enim - 'for, you see' (after first word in sentence)
- pro +ablative - 'for, on behalf of, in exchange for'
- fortasse - 'perhaps'
Translate the following:
- Why were you falling on the ground?
- You (sg) want to give me food.
- Do you want beer, wine or cold water to drink?
- The leaves and branches rustled in the wind.
- Perhaps I shouldn't watch beautiful women.
- Our duties are not to the monks but to the monks' school.
- That maid (over there) was eating their (not her own) eggs.
- The horses eat their (own) eggs.
- The cruel abbess bought sixty-six heavy amphoras of perfume.
- The anxious mule is fleeing.
- A beautiful woman covered her torn dress.
- We are buying beers because are eyes are opening.

More resources: this page details a lot of Latin prepositions. While it only gives basic meanings and doesn't mark vowel length, it does tell you which case the preposition governs. And this page is a list of Latin phrases. Don't try to learn the entire set of either of these pages! I just thought they would be good to flick through.

Edit: I just noticed that the preposition apud - 'beside' is in that list. For some reason, I think apud is an incredibly ugly word. It has to be the single ugliest word in the world in any language, and the worst part is it's included in Esperanto, Ido, Interlingua and I think even Interlingue.
atman
sinic
sinic

Post by atman »

Quick translations, don't expect anything impressive...
Spoiler:
Cur ad terram cadebas?
Mihi cibum dare vis.
Cervisiam, vinum, aut aquam frigidam ad bibendum vis?
Folia ramique in vento crepabant.
Fortasse pulchras feminas videre non debeo.
Oboedientia nostra non monachis sed monachorum scholae est.
Illa serva ova eorum edebat.
Equi suos ova edebant.
Saeva abbatissa unguenti amphoras onerosas sexaginta sex emit.
Mulus trepidus fugit.
Femina pulchra suam tunicam scissam protexit.
Cervisias ememus gar oculi nostri se aperiunt.
Երկնէր երկին, երկնէր երկիր, երկնէր և ծովն ծիրանի.
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

atman wrote:Quick translations, don't expect anything impressive...
Spoiler:
Cur ad terram cadebas? [tick]
Mihi cibum dare vis. [tick]
Cervisiam, vinum, aut aquam frigidam ad bibendum bibere vis? [info]
Folia ramique (in) vento crepabant. [tick]
Fortasse pulchras feminas videre non debeo. [tick]
Oboedientia nostra non monachis sed monachorum scholae est. [tick]
Illa serva ova eorum edebat. [tick] (I would have used ancilla but serva works too)
Equi suos sua ova edebant edunt. [info]
Saeva abbatissa unguenti amphoras onerosas sexaginta sex emit. [tick]
Mulus trepidus fugit. [tick]
Femina pulchra suam tunicam scissam protexit. [info] (I don't know if you meant to use the perfect here, I would have been happy with protegebat.)
Cervisias ememus emimus gar (?) oculi nostri (se) aperiunt. [info] (I don't know what gar is, I just would have used quod. Also this is beyond my knowledge but I don't think the last part needs a reflexive, contrary to most modern day Romance languages)
All the translations are pretty good! I should have mentioned that all the possessive pronouns agree with the thing they are possessing rather than their referent.

Edit: Can anyone with a good grasp of Latin comment on the state of reflexive verbs? To my knowledge they aren't a separate entity like they are in the modern Romance languages.
atman
sinic
sinic

Post by atman »

Femina pulchra suam tunicam scissam protexit. (I don't know if you meant to use the perfect here, I would have been happy with protegebat.)
Cervisias ememus emimus gar (?) oculi nostri (se) aperiunt. (I don't know what gar is, I just would have used quod. Also this is beyond my knowledge but I don't think the last part needs a reflexive, contrary to most modern day Romance languages)
Yes, I used the perfect "protexit". I think it's equivalent to use it or "protegebat".

The "gar" is a silly example of conlang interference. It's the :con: Atlantean word for "why, because" [:$]! Maybe it's related to :lat: "cur" at the Proto Indo-European level?

And I agree the last sentence doesn't need a reflexive, so add another mistake [:)]
Երկնէր երկին, երկնէր երկիր, երկնէր և ծովն ծիրանի.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

kanejam wrote:
Edit: Can anyone with a good grasp of Latin comment on the state of reflexive verbs? To my knowledge they aren't a separate entity like they are in the modern Romance languages.
Yeah, reflexivism is traditionally its own swimming-pool/later chapter/later unit/quicquid/sui generis

is it the same sort of quasi-ubiquitous beasty in the Latin zoo as in the Romance zoo?
That needs a bit of research.

Here's a good start, that seems to look precisely into that KT Boundary between Late Latin and Early(Proto-)Romance we all love to ponder about, in just this area:

Michela Cennamo (2002). Late Latin Pleonastic Reflexives and the Unaccusative Hypothesis. Transactions of the Philological Society.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 6/abstract
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

After tip-toeing through some resources, it looks like Romance reflexive verbs/pronouns are NOT reflected so neatly in Classical :lat: (surprise!?).

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Greek-2004/2 ... -hands.htm

http://glosbe.com/la/en/lavo

When referring to oneself, :lat: (and :grc: for that matter)
makes an ellipsis of any reflexive pronoun/possessive adjective.

Manus lavo / lavo manus - I wash my hands.

manus lavas / lavas manus - You wash your hands.

In both langs, if you're washing hair, brushing teeth, putting on a toga/chiton, it's assumed that it's going to be your own self your acting upon.

On the other manus, remember the difference between suus/eius -

Manus eius lavat / Manus suas lavat
He washes his hands (someone else's) / He washes his own hands.
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Wow I wish I was fluent enough in one of my own conlangs that I might accidentally confuse it with a natlang. Apparently though, cur comes from cui+res meaning 'for what thing'. Also, I think I will just leave reflexives alone altogether.

Lēctiō Novem

Third Declension

The first declension are all a-stems, as a pops up most in the paradigm's endings. The second declension are o-stems. The third declension is then i-stems. (The fourth are u-stems and the fifth are e-stems). The third declension is the largest declension of nouns and they may be any of masculine, feminine or neuter. The endings might vary a little bit, but they all have in common a genitive in -is. The nominative might have no ending, or an ending in -s, although it often changes its stem: nōmen, nōminis - n 'name', the stem is nōmin- for the cases other than nominative, accusative and vocative singulars (because it's neuter, these are all the same).

So for third declension nouns, being given both nominative and genitive in reference forms is very helpful. Try to build off of the genitive stem. Generally, though, the endings look like this:

Code: Select all

___|_sg_|_pl_
nom| -s | -ēs (-ia for neuter)
acc| -em| -ēs
gen| -is| -um
dat| -ī | -ibus
abl| -e | -ibus
Remember that neuter nouns always have the same form for nominative, accusative and vocative, singular and plural.

So if we take nātiō, nātiōnis - f 'birth, nation', we will build on the genitive stem nātiōn-. This noun is regular with the endings above. Some more examples: amor, amōris - m 'love', nox, noctis - f 'night', canis, canis - m (sometimes f) 'dog', rēx, rēgis - m 'king' (if this one looks irregular to you, think of the root as rēc- with an -s in the nominative and intervocalic voicing in the other cases. Canis rēgī suum amōrem in nocte ostentābat - 'the dog showed the king its love in the night'.

There are also the i-stems, that have an i at the end of the stem. The only difference is that the genitive plural is -ium with an extra -i-. For neuter nouns, they are i-stems if they end in -al, -ar or -e such as neuter animal, animālis. Neuter nouns also end in -ī in the ablative singular. For masculine and feminine nouns, they are i-stems if in the singular the nominative is the same as the genitive, or sometimes otherwise if there are two consonants before the genitive ending: the genitive plural of pars, partis - 'part, piece' is partium. You might also see -im, īs for the accusatives, but they are a bit archaic and not that common, and you should just use -em, -ēs everywhere. These rules aren't 100% effective either, as canis, canis above isn't an i-stem even though it looks like it should be. I'm afraid the best way to do it is just to learn each irregularity. The gender can also be unpredictable, but most nouns ending in -or are masculine, -īx are feminine and -us are neuter.

More on Pronouns

Most adjectives in Latin can stand alone with an implied head noun. This is why they are lumped under the category 'substantives' along with nouns. As the demonstratives act adjectivally, they can be used by themselves, usually with a pronominal meaning. They carry a subtle distinction though. Whereas the 3rd person personal pronouns imply the same subject that was being talked about, the demonstratives take the last object: servus mūlō cibum dat; is in agrō laborat means that the slave works in the field, servus mūlō cibum dat; ille in agrō laborat means that the mule works in the field.

A lot of the interrogative pronouns can be used as relative pronouns. The exception is quis, quid. These are both nominative forms of the same pronoun: quis is the masculine and feminine and quid is the neuter form. These are strictly interrogative, the relative pronoun is quī. The declension for both of them is a little bit odd so I encourage you to look it up.

Lastly there is the pronoun ipse, ipsa, ipsum. It functions like an irregular first/second declension adjective. It takes -īus in the genitive singular and -ī in the dative singular, like many pronouns and some adjectives, like ūnus - 'one' and nūllus - 'none'. It's meaning is to emphasise a noun: femina ipsa - 'the very woman, the woman herself'.

Future

The first and second conjugations are easy to put in the future, simply take off the imperfect endings, leaving the 'b', and add the future endings (which hopefully you know from learning esse's future tense. So portābam becomes portābō, habēbātis becomes habēbitis, vidēbant becomes vidēbunt

The third and fourth conjugations instead get a different set of endings on their present stem: -am, -ēs, -et, -ēmus, -ētis, -ent, so if we have two stems like bib- and audi-, we will get forms like bibēs - 'you will drink' and audient - 'they will hear'.

The future imperative is marked by a -tō on the stem: portātō is the future imperative of portō. In the future, the imperative also marks for third person. In the singular they are the same, but the second person plural is portātōte but the third person plural is portantō. Watch out; in the third conjugation, the short e becomes a short i: bibitō, and in the third person plural becomes bibuntō. In the fourth conjugation, the third person plural is audiuntō.

Passive

Most Latin verbs have a passive form, and this form conjugates for all the tenses that the active voice does. There are some defective verbs that don't have a passive form. An example we've seen is sedere. There are also deponent verbs that don't have an active form, but the passive form takes on an active meaning. One verb we will learn about soon is loquor, loquī - 'speak'. Most forms of the passive have something to do with -r. To form the passive, remove the active personal ending and add the passive personal ending: -r, -ris, -tur, -mur, -minī, -ntur. So we get portor - 'I'm being carried', portāris, portātur, portāmus, portāminī and portantur. Note the vowel lengthening/shortening with certain endings. Also note that the third conjugation is a bit weird: bibor, biberis, bibitur, bibimur, bibiminī, bibuntur.

The same rule goes for forming the passive in the imperfect and future. The verb loquor is third conjugation, so in the present it looks like this: loquor, loqueris, loquitur, loquimur, loquiminī, loquuntur. The imperfect is loquēbar, loquēbāris, loquēbātur, loquēbāmur, loquēbāminī, loquēbantur and the future loquar, loquēris, loquētur, loquēmur, loquēminī, loquentur. This is how you would say 'I speak Latin': Latīnē loquor. To ask someone if they speak Latin: loquerisne Latīnē?

To express the agent of a passive construction, simply use ab+ablative: Liber ā discipulō aperītur - 'the book was opened by the student'.

Exercises

Next lesson: third declension adjectives and the rest of the imperfective aspect. Vocab:
Spoiler:
- amor, amōris - m 'love'
- canis, canis - m/f 'dog'
- nox, noctis - f 'night'
- rēx, rēgis - m 'king'
- animal, animālis - n 'animal, living creature'
- bestia, bestiae - f 'beast, animal'
- nōmen, nōminis - n 'name'
- pars, partis - f 'part, piece'
- servus, servī - m 'slave, servant'
- nātio, nātiōnis - f 'birth, nation'
- lēctiō, lēctiōnis - f 'lesson'

- ostentō, ostentāre - 'show'
- loquor, loquī - 'speak'
- dicō, dicere - 'say, talk'
Translate the following:
- I love love
- They were carried by the mule
- We will be loved
- The dog ate a part of the food
- The wine will be drunk soon

And the following:
- Nōmen mihi est Stephanus
- Magnās bestiās ostentāre volēbant
- Servus rēgis mortuus est
- Dēsīderābiminī
- Saepe dicēbat, 'mox īre debit', sed nōn ībat.

Edit: fixed up the section on third declension nouns.
Last edited by kanejam on 16 Jul 2013 08:12, edited 5 times in total.