Miwonša in a nutshell: Learn the basics in ten lessons

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Plusquamperfekt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Miwonša in a nutshell: Learn the basics in ten lessons

Post by Plusquamperfekt »

Hey people,
In this thread I am going to provide some lessons to study the basics of Miwonša. Although Miwonša is an a priori conlang, its structure and phonology looks very Indo-European. Therefore the underlying idea is that the basics of Miwonša can be learned relatively quickly in spite of the Morphological complexity, since there are almost no exceptions in the language.

Lesson 1:

Miwonša has a relatively simple vowel system – five oral and five nasal vowels. These vowels do not undergo any reduction processes. This means that the quality of a vowel never changes. However, in stressed syllables nasal vowels can be slightly lengthened so that they are easier to be distinguished from their oral counterparts. Please keep in mind that <an> is not pronounced like in French, since it is a nasal front vowel.

Vowels

Code: Select all

Letter – Pronunciation
a      – [a]
e      – [ɛ]
i      – [i]
o      – [ɔ]
u      – [u]
an     – [ã(:)]
en     – [ɛ̃(:)]
in     – [ĩ(:)]
on     – [ɔ̃(:)]
un     – [ũ(:)]
Miwonša also has some (falling) diphthongs:

Letter – Pronunciation
ai     – [aɪ]
ei     – [ɛɪ]
oi     – [ɔɪ]
ui     – [uɪ]
au     – [aʊ] (very infrequently used)
iw     – [iʊ] (very infrequently used)
Consonants

Letter – Pronunciation
p      – [p] 
t      – [t] 
č      – [tʃ]
c      – [c] before vowels, [tɕ] before consonants and [i, ĩ]
k      – [k], possible allophone in the coda: [x] (free variation)

ph     – [p ʼ]
th     – [tʼ]
čh     – [tʃʼ]
ch     – [cʼ] before vowels, [tɕʼ] before consonants and [i, ĩ]
kh     – [kʼ]

ts     – [ts]

f      – [f]
s      – [s]
z      – [z]
š      – [ʃ]
ž      – [ʒ]
hj     – [ɕ]
h      – [h]

m      – [m]
n      – [n]
nj     – [ɲ]

m      – [m]
n      – [n]
nj     – [ɲ]

l      - [l]
lh     - [ɬ]
lw     - [ɬw]
lj     - [ʎ]
r      - [r]

w      – [w]
hw     – [ʍ]
j      - [j]

ti     - [tɕi]
thi    - [tɕ’i]
hi     - [ɕi]
Phonemes

p p’    t t’            c  c’    k k’
        ts     tʃ tʃ’  (tɕ tɕ’)
m       n               ɲ
f       s z    ʃ ʒ      ɕ         (x)     h
        l ɬ             ʎ         
        r
w ʍ                     j

Foreign phonemes

[*] The letters <b, d, g, v> appear only in loanwords and are usually pronounced like [p, t, k, f]

Phonotactics

[*] Syllable structure: ((C)C(C))V(C/V)
[*] Possible Onsets with more than one consonant:

pw pj spw spj špw špj pl pr spl spr špl špr
tw stw štw tr str štr
čw
cw
kw kj skw skj škw škj kl kr skl skr škl škr
tsj 
mj
fj sj sw zj zw šw žw
lw (=ɬw)

Possible codas

p t č k m s š l 
Alternations

I/J-Rule
In Miwonša there is a very frequent alternation in which some non-palatal consonants are palatalized, while some palatal consonants only change their spelling:

Orthographical alternation
ti  > ca ce co cu
hi  > hja hje hjo hju

Morpho-phonological alternation [palatalisation]
pi  > pja pje pjo pju
tsi > tsja tsje tsjo tsju
ki  > kja kje kjo kju
fi  > fja fje fjo fju
si  > sja sje sjo sju
zi  > sja zje zjo zju
mi  > mja mje mjo mju
ni  > nja nje njo nju
li  > lja lje ljo lju
Plusquamperfekt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Miwonša in a nutshell: Learn the basics in ten lessons

Lesson 2

Nouns
All native nouns end in -a, -i, -o or -n. There are five declensions (in the "o"-class, there are two different sets of suffixes for animate and inanimate nouns). There are two numbers (singular and plural) and four cases: Nominative, accusative, genitive and dative. The basic form is the nominative singular. The possible presence of genders associated with biological sexes and the precise number of genders are highly debatable and will be the topic of a future lesson. For the moment it's enough to know that there are five declensions and that nouns referring to female persons tend to be in the "a" class, while all nouns in the "n" class are male persons.

"a" declension:      maca (mother), nanža (sister), škonja (woman), čhera (tree), njara (moon), kuška (church)
"i": delcension:     sjazi (mouse), sjuli (forest), wali (house), zjali (star), zwanši (family), kjani (hart)
"o" declension (1):  kjunšo (boy), wonco (child), anro (father), thunho (god), thonšo (head), waro (ear)
"o" declension (2):  zanžo (city), šanlo (year), piwo (ball) lhozwo (lake)
"n" declension:      paiwašan (brother), twoškašan (son), waškašan (brother), čafjan (doctor), aran (king)
The nominative and accusative singular and plural of nouns

The good news is that the nominative and the accusative plural always have the same form. Furthermore, it is also very easy to remember how to form the accusative singular since all forms end in the letter <-i>.
Unfortunately there are also some irregularities:

- Nouns ending in <-ca>, <-ya>, <-ja> and <-wa> get the suffix <-e> instead of <-i> in the nominative/accusative plural, for example: maca -> mace (mothers), šonkwa -> šonkwe (daughters), škonja -> škonje (women)

- In the "i" declension, the "i/j"-rule has to be applied (see previous lesson for details about this alternation): wali -> walja (houses), zjali -> zjalja (stars), kjani -> kjanja (stars), kaipi -> kaipja (mountains)

Suffixes:

Class               NOM.SG    ACC.SG    NOM.PL/ACC.PL
-a- (Standard)      -a        -ai       -i
-a- (Subtype 2)                         -e
-i-                 -i        -i        -a
-o- (Animate)       -o        -oi       -i
-o- (Inanimate)                         -a
-n- (Standard)      -an       -ani      -anje
Examples:

Class               NOM.SG    ACC.SG    NOM.PL/ACC.PL
-a- (Standard)      nanža     nanžai    nanži
-a- (Subtype 2)     maca      macai     mace
-i- (Stanndard)     zwanši    zwanši    zwanša
-i- (I/J-Rule)      wali      wali      walja
-o- (Animate)       kjunšo    kjunšoi   kjunši
-o- (Inanimate)     piwo      piwoi     piwa
-n- (Standard)      tuškan    tuškani   tuškanje
The nominative and accusative of personal pronouns

Function      NOM      ACC      English equivalent

1SG           mi       mai      I, me
2SG           ši       šai      you
3SG.MASC      woi      woi      he, him, it
3SG.FEM       wai      wai      she, her, it

1PL           mika     mikai    we
2PL           šika     šikai    you
3PL           wei      wei      they, them

2.FORMAL      Šwi      Šwi      you
3.DEICTIC     sja      sjai     this, these
Some comments:
- "Woi" is usually used for all male persons, animals and for all other nouns in the "o" and "n" class
- "Wai" is used for for all female persons, animals and for all other nouns in the "a" and "i" class
- "Sja" is rather a demonstrative than a personal pronoun and does not necessarily need to represent a noun, but it may also refer to a whole situation or a whole previous utterance
- Some pronouns have the same form for the nominative and the accusative. They can be distinguished by looking at their position in the sentence and at verbal agreement.
- "Mika" and "šika" are stressed on first syllable. It is important to pronounce them correctly, since "mika" and "šika" (stressed on the last syllable) are their counterparts in the genitive case.

Omission of the copula verb in the present tense indicative

The copula verb "kwa" can be omitted in the present tense indicative. In this case the subject is at the first position and the predicate NP at the second position in the sentence.

Examples:

Mi waškašan.       I am a man.
Mika waškašanje.   We are men.
Sja wali.          This is a house.
Sja walja.         These are houses.
Woi čafjan.        He is a doctor.
Wei čafjanje.      They are doctors.
Škonja maca.       The woman is a mother. (in this case, it would be more natural to say "škonjaša" = "this woman")
Adverbs can be placed before or behind the subject NP. However, in Miwonša the topic (which is known to the participants of the conversation) is usually mentioned first, while the new information is usually revealed after the topic. Even though articles are optional in Miwonša, the definiteness of a noun can sometimes be shown indirectly by changing the word order.

Anro anhi. - The father (a father) is here. (possible response to the question "Where is the father?")
Anhi anro. - Here is a/the father. (possible response to the question "What is here?")

Maca koro. - The mother (a mother) is over there.
Koro maca. - Over there is a/the mother. 

Predative adjectives

Adjectives can be used in attributive and predicative positions. While attributive adjectives agree with the noun in number, declension class and case, the predicative adjectives have no agreement markers at all. When the copula verb is missing, the subject NP is at the first position and the predicative adjective is at the second position.

Čwona šei.  - The book is good.
Siwa sjošni - The water is cold.
Woi tošna.  - He is tall.
Wai cuski.  - She is beautiful.

Basic conjunctions

ya     and (to link NPs or VPs)
kweš   but
aro    or
wanjo  and (to link VPs)

Examples:
Mi chankošan ya tuškan.                   I'm a neighbor and a friend
Anhi sja hanza, kweš koro sja kaika.      This here is a dog, but that over there is a cat.
Anhi sja hanza, wanjo/ya koro sja kaika.  This here is a dog and that over there is a cat.
Ši kjunšo aro wanca?                      Are you a boy or a girl?
Plusquamperfekt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Lesson 3

Infinitives and verb stems

In Miwonša, all infinitives either end in -iwa or -a. The distribution of the two morphemes is completely arbitrary and has no effects on the conjugation. The verb stem can be identified by deleting the infinitive ending and applying the i/j-rule at the last consonant of the stem. (see lesson 1 for details)

žaniwa - to see (infinitive)
žanj-   - see (verb stem)

žweniwa - to speak (infinitive)
žwenj- - speak (verb stem)

mičiwa - to eat (infinitive)
mič- - eat (verb stem)

lufiwa - to sleep (infinitive)
lufj - sleep (verb stem)
The present tense indicative and subject agreement

Verbs in Miwonša agree both with the subject and the direct object. However, there is no object agreement when the NP referring to the direct object contains a noun and is explicitely mentioned in the sentence:

Žaniman hanzai.     [see-1SG-IPFV dog-ACC]         I see a dog.
Mičišan kišwai.     [eat-2SG-IPFV bread-ACC]       You are eating bread.
Žweniwan Miwonšai.  [speak-3SG-IPFV Miwonša-ACC]   He/she speaks Miwonša.
As the example shows, the present tense requires the use of the aspect marker <-an>, which is always placed at the end of the verb. The verb order is SVO. Another important characteristic of Miwonša is that it is a pro-drop language. This means that the subject pronoun is usually left as long as there is an agreement marker in the verb, which indicates the subject. Subject pronouns are only added to the sentence when the speaker wants to put more emphasis on the subject:

Ši Mičišan kišwai.      [2SG eat-2SG-IPFV bread-ACC]       YOU are eating bread. (and not someone else).
The following table contains the six agreement markers for the subject:

Person         replaces 

1SG     -im-  (mi)
2SG     -iš-  (ši, Šwi)
3SG     -iw-  (woi, wai, sja)

1PL     -am-  (mika)
2PL     -aš-  (šika, Šwi)
3PL     -aw-  (wei, sja)
Example:

Žaniman hanzai.     I see a dog.
Žanišan hanzai.     You (sg.) see a dog.
Žaniwan hanzai.     He/she/it sees a dog.
Žanjaman hanzai.    We see a dog.
Žanjašan hanzai.    You (pl.) see a dog.
Žanjawan hanzai.    They see a dog.
While agreement markers for the subject are always obligatory in the subject, their presence in the 3rd person depends on the presence or absence of a subject NP with a noun in the sentence. When the sentence contains a NP with a noun in it, then the agreement marker is omitted. Exception: When there is also an object marker in the verb, the subject marker is always used.

Kjunšo wancai kjanjan.     [boy-NOM girl-ACC love-IPFV] - The boy loves the girl.
Wancai kjaniwan.           [girl-ACC love-3SG-IPFV] - He/she loves the girl. 

No object agreement: The 3rd person marker for the subject is only used when there is no subject NP with a noun in the sentence

Kjunšo kjaniwišan.         [boy-NOM love-3SG-2SG-IPFV] - The boy loves you.
Kjaniwišan.                [love-3SG-2SG-IPFV] - He/she loves you.

Object agreement: The 3rd person marker for the subject is always used.
The present tense indicative of the copula verb "kwa"

pronoun     meaning        copula         English
mi          1SG            kwamišan       I am
ši          2SG            kwašišan       you (sg.) are
woi         3SG.MASC       kwawoišan      he/it is
wai         3SG.FEM        kwawaišan      she/it is
sja         3SG.DEICTIC    kwasjašan      this is
mika        1PL            kwamikan       we are
šika        2PL            kwašikan       you (pl.) are
wei         3PL            kwaweikan      they are
sja         3PL.DEICTIC    kwasjakan      these are
Šwi         2SG.FORMAL     Šwi kwašišan   you are (sg.)
            2PL.FORMAL     Šwi kwašikan   you are (pl.)
                           kwan           is/are (neutral)

Other forms:
žai         not            kwažairan      there is/are no
                           kwasjan        there is/are
anhi        here           kwanhjan       … is/are here
koro        there          kwakoran       … is/are over there
Some comments:
- "kwanhjan" and "kwakoran" are used to explain the position of an existing thing which is known to the speaker and the listener. In English, you would always use the definite article in these contexts.

Škonja kwanhjan. - The woman is here.
Kwanhjan čwona.  - Here is the book
Škonja žai kwanhjan. - The woman is not here.
Čwona žai kwakoran. - The book is not over there.
- "kwasjan" and "kwažairan" are used to explain whether something exisits or not, they are always at the first position in the sentence.

Kwasjan čwoni - There are books. (= The books exist.)
Kwažairan čwoni - There are no books. (= The books don't exist)
- When the subject NP is a noun and explicitely mentioned in the sentence, the copula verb "kwa" does not need an agreement marker:

Hanzi zwanša (kwan). - [dog-NOM.PL animal-NOM.PL COP-IPFV] - Dogs are animals.
Wanca cuski (kwan). - [girl-NOM.SG pretty-ADV COP-IPFV] - The girl is pretty.

Plusquamperfekt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Lesson 4

Object agreement

As you may have noticed in the previous lesson, Miwonša uses the same set of affixes for both the subject and the object agreement. The markers can only be distinguished by their position and this is exactly the reason why subject markers cannot be omitted when object markers are in the verb as well. However, instead of <-iw-> and <-aw-> it is also possible to use <-if-> and <-af-> in the slot for the subject (optional, see table for details).
When the subject and the direct object are the same entity, you have to insert <-ast-> (reflexive) or <-alw-> into the slot for the direct object. However, while there is always an object marker when the object is in the 1st or 2nd, the object markers for the 3rd person are only used when there is no object NP with a noun in the sentence. Just like the pronouns for the subject, the personal pronouns of the accusative case can be left out when they are not necessary.

Slot model

Stem       Slot 3       Slot 2       Slot 1
		    -im-         -im-          -an
		    -iš-         -iš-
	       -iw-/-if-    -iw-
	       -am-         -am-
		    -aš-         -aš-
		    -aw-/-af-    -aw-

-ast-
                       -alw-
Example conjugation

kjaniwa = to love

1SG.NOM        2SG.NOM        3SG.NOM        1PL.NOM        2PL.NOM       3PL.NOM        NO SUBJ. AGR.

NO OBJECT AGR.    kjaniman       kjanišan       kjaniwan       kjanjaman      kjanjašan     kjanjawan      kjanjan  

1SG.ACC           -              kjanišiman     kjaniwiman/    (kjanjamiman)  kjanjašiman   kjanjawiman/   - 
                                                kjanifiman                                  kjanjafiman 
2SG.ACC           kjanimišan     -              kjaniwišan/    kjanjamišan    -             kjanjawišan/   - 
                                                kjanifišan                                  kjanjafišan 
3SG.ACC           kjanimiwan     kjanišiwan     kjaniwiwan     kjanjamiwan    kjanjašiwan   kjanjawiwan/   - 
                                                kjanifiwan                                  kjanjafiwan 

1PL.ACC           kjanimaman     kjanišaman     kjaniwaman     -              kjanjašaman   kjanjawaman    - 
2PL.ACC           kjanimašan     kjanišašan     kjaniwašan     kjanjamašan    -             kjanjawašan    - 
3PL.ACC           kjanimawan     kjanišawan     kjaniwawan/    kjanjamawan    kjanjašawan   kjanjawawan/   - 
                                                kjanifawan                                  kjanjafawan      

REFLEXIVE         kjanimastan    kjanišastan    kjaniwastan    kjanjamastan   kjanjašastan  kjanjawastan   - 
RECIPROCAL        -              -              -              kjanjamalwan   kjanjašalwan  kjanjawalwan   - 
Summary: Subject and Object

As you have seen, subject and object markers as well as pronouns can be omitted under some circumstances.
This table contains an overview of the criteria. I know that it looks a little intimidating at first sight, but the logic is quite simple:

(1) Subject and object pronouns can be dropped anytime. They are only used to emphasize different parts of the sentence. (pro-drop)
(2) When there is an object marker in the verb, you will also need a subject marker, otherwise the object marker would be interpreted as a subject marker.
(3) Object markers can be left out when the verb is intransitive or when there is an object NP in the sentence, which contains a noun.
(4) Subject markers can be left out when there are no object markers and when there is a subject NP in the sentence, which contains a noun.

Subject		     Object            Subject Agr.   Object Agr.               Example   
1st or 2nd        none              YES            NO               Ši lufišan. (You are sleeping.)               
1st or 2nd        1st or 2nd        YES            YES              Mi kjanimišan šai. (I love you.)
1st or 2nd        dropped           YES            YES              Mi kjanimišan. (I love you.)
1st or 2nd        3rd = noun        YES            NO               Mi kjaniman wancašai. (I love that girl.)
1st or 2nd        3rd = pronoun     YES            YES              Mi kjanimiwan wai. (I love her.)
1st or 2nd        3rd = dropped     YES            YES              Mi kjanimiwan. (I love her.)

3rd = noun        none              NO             NO               Kjunšo lufjan. (The boy is sleeping)
3rd = noun        1st or 2nd        YES            YES              Kjunšo šai kjanifišan. (The boy loves you)
3rd = noun        dropped           YES            YES              Kjunšo kjaniwišan. (The boy loves you)
3rd = noun        3rd=noun          NO             NO               Kjunšo wancai kjanjan. (The boy loves the girl.)
3rd = noun        3rd=pronoun       YES            YES              Kjunšo wai kjanifiwan. (The boy loves her.)      
3rd = noun        3rd=dropped       YES            YES              Kjunšo kjanifiwan. (The boy loves her.)

3rd = pronoun      none             YES             NO              Woi lufiwan. (He is sleeping)
3rd = pronoun      1st or 2nd       YES            YES              Woi šai kjanifišan. (He loves you.)
3rd = pronoun      dropped          YES            YES              Woi kjanifišan. (He loves you.)
3rd = pronoun      3rd=noun         YES             NO              Woi wancai kjaniwan. (He loves the girl.)
3rd = pronoun      3rd=pronoun      YES            YES              Woi kjanifiwan wai. (He loves her.)
3rd = pronoun      3rd=dropped      YES            YES              Woi kjanifiwan. (He loves him/her.)

3rd = dropped      none             YES             NO              Lufiwan. (He/she is sleeping)
3rd = dropped      1st or 2nd       YES            YES              Šai kjanifišan. (He/she loves you.)
3rd = dropped      dropped          YES            YES              Kjanifišan. (He/she loves you.)
3rd = dropped      3rd=noun         YES             NO              Wancai kjaniwan. (He/she loves the girl.)
3rd = dropped      3rd=pronoun      YES            YES              Kjanifiwan wai. (He/she loves her.)
3rd = dropped      3rd=dropped      YES            YES              Kjanifiwan. (He/she loves him/her.)
Personal pronouns: Genitive

Function      NOM      ACC      GEN       English equivalent

1SG           mi       mai      maya     of me, my
2SG           ši       šai      šaya     of you, your (sg.)
3SG.MASC      woi      woi      woya     of him, his
3SG.FEM       wai      wai      waya     of her, her
3SG.DEICTIC   sja      sjai     sjaya    of this/that
1PL           mika     mikai    mika     of us, our
2PL           šika     šikai    šika     of you, your (pl.)
3PL           wei      wei      weika    of them, their
3SG.DEICTIC   sja      sjai     sjaka    of these/those

2.FORMAL      Šwi      Šwi      Šika     of you, your (formal)
Noun declension: Genitive singular
In order to form the genitive singular, you just have to add <ak>, <ik>, <ok> and <ka> to the stem.

Class               NOM.SG    ACC.SG    GEN.SG    NOM.PL/ACC.PL
-a- (Standard)      -a        -ai       -ak       -i
-a- (Subtype 2)                                   -e
-i-                 -i        -i        -ik       -a
-o- (Animate)       -o        -ok       -oi       -i
-o- (Inanimate)                                   -a
-n- (Standard)      -an       -ani      -anka     -anje
Examples:

Class               NOM.SG    ACC.SG    GEN.SG    NOM.PL/ACC.PL
-a- (Standard)      nanža     nanžai    nanžak    nanži
-a- (Subtype 2)     maca      macai     macak     mace
-i- (Stanndard)     zwanši    zwanši    zwanšik   zwanša
-i- (I/J-Rule)      wali      wali      walik     walja
-o- (Animate)       kjunšo    kjunšoi   kjunšok   kjunši
-o- (Inanimate)     piwo      piwoi     piwok     piwa
-n- (Standard)      tuškan    tuškani   tuškanka  tuškanje
Last edited by Plusquamperfekt on 02 Dec 2013 21:38, edited 3 times in total.
Plusquamperfekt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Btw I am grateful for all comments about the lessons and corrections of my English (typos, grammar, stylistic problems..)
Plusquamperfekt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Excersises

Vocabulary for lesson 2

Miwonša-English
Spoiler:

anhi        (here)
anro        (father), Pl: -ži
aran        (king)
aro         (or)
chankošan   (neighbor)
cuski       (pretty, beautiful)
čafjan      (doctor)
čhera       (tree)
hanza       (dog)
kaika       (cat)
kjani       (heart)
kjunšo      (boy), Pl: -i
koro        (there)
kuška       (church)
kweš        (but)
lhozwo      (lake), Pl: -a
maca        (mother)
maco        (small)
nanža       (sister)
njara       (moon)
paiwašan    (brother)
piwo        (ball), Pl: -a
šanlo       (year), Pl: -a
sjazi       (mouse)
sjošni      (cold)
sjuli       (forest)
šei         (good)
škonja      (woman)
thonšo      (head), Pl: -i
thunho      (god), Pl: -i
tošna       (tall (person), big (thing))
tuškan      (friend)
twoškašan   (son)
wali        (house)
wanca       (girl)
wanjo       (and)
waro        (ear), Pl: -ži
waškašan    (brother)
wonco       (child), Pl: -ti
ya          (and)
zanžo       (city), Pl: -a
zjali       (star)
zwanši      (family)
Excercises lesson 2

Translate into English
(1) Zanžo anhi.
(2) Škonja cuski.
(3) Hanzi ya kaiki tošna.
(4) Maca anhi, kweš anro koro.
(5) Čafjanje tuškanje.
(6) Wali šei.
(7) Anhi twoškašan aro paiwašan?
(8) Lhozwo sjošni.

Translate into Miwonša..

(1) The brothers are here, but the sisters are over there.
(2) The man is tall.
(3) The girls are pretty.
(4) The children are small.
(5) Here are the friends and the family.
(6) The girl is small, but pretty.
(7) Is this a dog or a cat?
(8) Are The father and the mother over there?