Help me to make a better Resources Thread!

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.

What do you think about the NEW Resources Thread?

I love it!
39%
I like it!
52%
I don't really care.
4%
I think it's dumb.
No votes
What was wrong with the old one?
4%

Total votes: 23

Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Help me to make a better Resources Thread!

Post by Ossicone »

I'd like to know how you feel about the NEW Resources Thread. So, if you have the time, please post and answer one or more of the following questions or give any additional comments you may have.
  • Do you know about it?
  • Do you use it?
  • Would you use it?
  • Do you give a shit?
  • Do you think it should be organized differently?
  • What changes would you make to it?
  • What would you like to see added to it?
Click
runic
runic

Re: Help me to make a better Resources Thread!

Post by Click »

I like it and I myself find it quite useful, but I have some quibbles regarding its organisation.

In my opinion there’s no need to subcategorise the Conlangs section into specific subsections for every single conlang especially given you organised languages by general regions. Generalising that to other sections, one could also conflate all non-English resources by region, but they are few so I think there’s no need for any subcategorisation in there. Lessons can also be grouped by region, but I’m against that because language learners generally aim towards a specific language.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

I do kind of agree with the conlang section possibly being merged. But I'm not sure. I guess I was hoping for more links in the area.

However, I think it is best to keep the non-English sections separate. If you're looking there, you're going to want a language you know and it's easier to pick out if they are separate. Also, there's a lot of non-English links on the old thread have yet to move over that I was taking into account.

The lessons I've grouped by language name under the same idea that if you're looking for lessons you probably know a name to search for. Or if you're just looking on a whim you'd probably want all materials for a given lang together.

The reason I grouped the natlangs by region are:
1. Some langs didn't have formalized names. Or some have multiple names and I don't want to go through the mess of figuring which one to list it as.
2. Countries are not helpful. What would I list English under? England? (NEVER!!!!) Or what about Arabic? Or something like Greenlandic?
The region system is not perfect but avoids most political BS and can help people find other similar langs in the region or to draw inspiration from a region. I have added a global section for langs like English, Arabic and Spanish which are not easily regionalized. (Of course most langs are not spoken all over the world in a number of communities and this seems like the best solution for the time being.)
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

I think having all of the Wikipedia links is unnecessary. The whole point of the thread is to make it easier to access various materials that may or may not be tricky to find; nothing can be less tricky than looking up something in Wikipedia. But that's an essentially minor quip; I'm just against fluff in lists when it can be avoided.

Also, are you going to transfer all the links from the old resource thread to this thread? That would be intensely helpful, as it's not fun to flip through the random pages in that thread looking for that one resource you wanted to check out later.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Pirka wrote:I think having all of the Wikipedia links is unnecessary. The whole point of the thread is to make it easier to access various materials that may or may not be tricky to find; nothing can be less tricky than looking up something in Wikipedia. But that's an essentially minor quip; I'm just against fluff in lists when it can be avoided.

Also, are you going to transfer all the links from the old resource thread to this thread? That would be intensely helpful, as it's not fun to flip through the random pages in that thread looking for that one resource you wanted to check out later.
I see the point on the wiki thing. Maybe I'll make a separate section for wiki links.

Yes. I'm in the process of moving the old links but it takes time. A long time...
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I wanted to vote both "I like it" and "what was wrong with the old one?"; but I had to pick just one.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

eldin raigmore wrote:I wanted to vote both "I like it" and "what was wrong with the old one?"; but I had to pick just one.
If you had to make a change to improve the old thread what would it be?

Personally, I found the old thread haphazard and difficult to search for links to what I was interested in.
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

I like it; I like the way everything is laid out and grouped neatly. I think the more links here are the more valuable it will be.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

I'm just starting from the very beginning, and I want to do more Conplanet-ing. There seem to be no guides for that [D:]
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Ossicone wrote:I'd like to know how you feel about the NEW Resources Thread. So, if you have the time, please post and answer one or more of the following questions or give any additional comments you may have.
  • Do you know about it?
  • Do you use it?
  • Would you use it?
  • Do you give a shit?
  • Do you think it should be organized differently?
  • What changes would you make to it?
  • What would you like to see added to it?
Haven't had a chance to examine everything in detail, but what I've seen of it I quite like! I think it's a fantastic resource.

If you haven't, you might also consider working with the folks over at the LCS as well as Conlang and ZBB -- they may know of other cool resources you're missing (and verse visa). At the least, LCS hosts a jobs board, maintains a lending library and also hosts the Language Creation Convention.

One thing you also might consider is a link to the old resource thread...seems like some folks prefer that one! [:)]

elemtilas
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Ossicone wrote:If you had to make a change to improve the old thread what would it be?
Can't think of one.

Ossicone wrote:Personally, I found the old thread haphazard and difficult to search for links to what I was interested in.
Maybe I didn't use the old one enough, or not the same way you used it, to notice any such difficulty.

Maybe if I start using the new one more I'll notice an improvement? (Up 'til now I had nothing to compare with -- of course.)

But whatever; certainly I see nothing wrong with the new one so far, and don't expect to.
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

I admit that I haven't used it much, but that's because I tend to forget that it's there.
When I do remember it exists, I tend to find something interesting though.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Ossicone wrote:I'd like to know how you feel about the NEW Resources Thread.
One resource you can add (I didn't see it in there already) is the IPA itself, especially since we all make use of their alphabet! --

https://www.internationalphoneticassociation.org

I was actually a member for quite some time, and the journal is interesting to read. Plus, if you're into this sort of thing, you can become Certified in the Phonetics of English by examination.

elemtilas