Does anyone have an IPA layout for the Microsoft creator?

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Does anyone have an IPA layout for the Microsoft creator?

Post by Isfendil »

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I downloaded the Microsoft keyboard layout creator that was detailed in the master post on this sub forum, and tried to make a layout by replacing the shift capitalizations with ipa symbols (I only need a few ones that I frequently used) when I encountered two problems- I forgot that caps lock is just a hold shift for capital letters (not that big a problem) but also for some reason the layout refuses to validate.

I thus have two questions- can I make the shift key and caps lock key act independently? Or... Does anyone already have a US keyboard layout derived ipa keyboard layout?
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Re: Does anyone have an IPA layout for the Microsoft creator

Post by Iyionaku »

I don't know the proper answer to your question, but at the web page ipa.typeit.org/full you can find an entire IPA-able input window.
I personally use it frequently whenever I need to provide the pronunctiation of one of my sentences.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Iyionaku wrote:I don't know the proper answer to your question, but at the web page ipa.typeit.org/full you can find an entire IPA-able input window.
I personally use it frequently whenever I need to provide the pronunctiation of one of my sentences.
This is, unfortunately, the exact opposite of what I am asking for- I'm trying to reduce my reliance on that site.
Ephraim
sinic
sinic

Post by Ephraim »

Rather than using shift for IPA symbols, can't you use AltGr? From what I understand, US Windows keyboards have two keys labelled Alt, but I think the right Alt key is identical to the AltGr key on most international Windows keyboards (I have only very little experience with US keyboards, and I haven't been a WIndows user for many years). Otherwise, you should be able to use Ctrl+Alt for the same function, I think. Since the basic US keyboard layout doesn't use AltGr for anything, you have two empty sets of keys (you can also map AltGr+Shift) to fill with the symbols you like, which is very useful for conlanging. If that's not enough, you can set up dead keys (which I don't think the basic US keyboard layout has either).

I'm not on Windows computer but with Ukelele on the Mac, you can map Caps lock and Shift separately, so it may be possible with MKLC as well. But there's probably no need for it.

SIL also has some IPA keyboard layouts which should probably work:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page ... pakeyboard
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Ephraim wrote:Rather than using shift for IPA symbols, can't you use AltGr? From what I understand, US Windows keyboards have two keys labelled Alt, but I think the right Alt key is identical to the AltGr key on most international Windows keyboards (I have only very little experience with US keyboards, and I haven't been a WIndows user for many years). Otherwise, you should be able to use Ctrl+Alt for the same function, I think. Since the basic US keyboard layout doesn't use AltGr for anything, you have two empty sets of keys (you can also map AltGr+Shift) to fill with the symbols you like, which is very useful for conlanging. If that's not enough, you can set up dead keys (which I don't think the basic US keyboard layout has either).

I'm not on Windows computer but with Ukelele on the Mac, you can map Caps lock and Shift separately, so it may be possible with MKLC as well. But there's probably no need for it.

SIL also has some IPA keyboard layouts which should probably work:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page ... pakeyboard

I actually just learned today that AltGr is easily rebindable to right alt, which solves my problem, but I'd still like to know if it's possible on windows just in case- at any rate, thank you for the layouts, they should prove helpful.