Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Aevas
admin
admin

Re: Forum News Thread

Post by Aevas »

Updated the narai rank image.
Darkgamma
banned

Post by Darkgamma »

I let my sister use my ZBB account.
You've dropped quite in my eyes =/
Svo hvernig get ég annað en glott á þig dauðlega?
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Darkgamma wrote:I let my sister use my ZBB account.
You've dropped quite in my eyes =/
I bet you did.

I'll say this Darkgamma: You have 3 options here - come clean and move on, shut up about this, or keep whining about it. If you come clean, that would be the best for all. If you shut up, fine, I'll leave it at that. If you keep whining, I'll share with everyone exactly why I am absolutely convinced that Qaar is your sockpuppet account.

Take it or leave it.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Aszev wrote:Take it or leave it.
I would suggest "taking it".
g

o

n

e
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

► The maximum allowed file size of avatars has been increased to 20kb. (Up from 10kb)
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Also, I should mention this, there will probably be a major overhaul of the rank system in the near future. More to come soonish™.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Aszev wrote:► The maximum allowed file size of avatars has been increased to 20kb. (Up from 10kb)
Nice.
g

o

n

e
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Woohoo! No more low-quality JPEGs for avis.

:D
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Aszev wrote:► The maximum allowed file size of avatars has been increased to 20kb. (Up from 10kb)
:3

Also thanks for renaming the Q&A threads.
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

I am very pleased with the size limit increase. Thank you, lord Aszev.
Aszev wrote:
Also, I should mention this, there will probably be a major overhaul of the rank system in the near future. More to come soonish™.
Sounds interesting.
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

From the Admin: Introduction to the Rank Overhaul

As I mentioned previously, there will be a major overhaul of the rank system on the board. This is still a work in progress, and I can't say when it will be made, however, I've decided to share the plans behind the new system with you:

► The current rank system will be completely removed.

► The new system will introduce 4 types of ranks:

-----Default ranks: These are the ranks based on postcount. They will be plain and most of you will probably find them boring.

-----Standard ranks: These ranks will be the elemental ones you are used to, but they are now no longer based on postcount. Instead you will be able to 'earn' them by contributing to the forum in various ways.

-----Special ranks: These ranks will be more 'flashier' elemental ones. They will be earned through more 'intensive' forum contribution.

-----Unique ranks: These are ranks unavailable to the normal member. They are used by the admin, the moderators, MVPs and other specific user groups.

► Users will be able to 'earn' multiple ranks, and then change between them to use the rank he or she prefers. People with unique ranks will not be able to do this, however.

Q: What exactly does it mean to "contribute to the forum" ?

This is currently under development, but the thought is that users will be able to earn ranks through contribution in the form of making certain types of posts, e.g. making a well-made translation challenge thread might earn you a standard rank.

Q: How can I have several ranks at the same time?

The new rank system will be handled manually by me, meaning that you won't get new ranks automatically. Ranks will be assigned to people fulfilling their criteria, as objectively as possible, but as no one is perfect, we will see how this works out. There will possibly be moderator involvement in this process as well.

Q: Does this have anything to do with the request for "newbhelpers" ?

Yes!

I would like to remind you all that this is still in the development stage and currently under construction. So if you have any thoughts on the matter, constructive feedback is always welcome.

Getting to try out my new admin template!
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

Oooh, that sounds very cool. Of course 'spambassador' is the most unique rank of all 8-).
Edit: All jokes aside, this sounds like a very interesting system.
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

Sounds cool.

Would it even be possible to have a reputation thing to help determine some of these ranks, or would that not be possible and/or would it not work out in your opinion?
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

cybrxkhan wrote:Sounds cool.

Would it even be possible to have a reputation thing to help determine some of these ranks, or would that not be possible and/or would it not work out in your opinion?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, could you elaborate?
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

Aszev wrote:
cybrxkhan wrote:Sounds cool.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, could you elaborate?
I'm pretty sure you may have come across it before. Anyhow, in some forums, users have the ability to give a "reputation point" to another user whenever they want. Usually there's some button around the post (perhaps, for instance, near the user's name), which any user can click on to give that person a reputation point. The idea is that users who have proven themselves to be helpful, friendly, awesome, entertaining, interesting, etc., will be more noticeable since other users can see how many reputation points they have. In order to prevent abuse of this system, most forums allow users to only award one reputation point a day.

Does that make sense?

I'm not sure if it'd be possible, though, as I know that not all forum making program things allow for it.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Cybr, like Kharma on some boards?
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

It would seem so. It's actually an intriguing idea, I'd love to get some opinions on this.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

I quite like the reputation idea. I also think it'll take some of the responsibility off of you to assign new ranks and such.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

I don't like reputation. First, it's very time-dependent. More often reputation/karma reflects how long the user's been around, not really how good of a poster they are.

Second, reputation can get quite meaningless due to different members having very different ideas of what is rep-worthy and what is not. Some people only give rep points to giant wall-of-text posts, others give a rep point to anyone who gives a funny link, and others still will never give you a single rep for any reason no matter how much they like what you post.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Pretty much what Micamo said