(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Oil In My Lamp
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Oil In My Lamp »

I think politically-motivated sound changes would be dependent on the sounds of the neighbouring (or otherwise culturally-significant) nations. Conquered or lower caste nations would use more of the language of the ruling class.

Is that what you had in mind?
Give me oil in my lamp, I pray.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Oil In My Lamp wrote: 22 Sep 2020 20:50 I think politically-motivated sound changes would be dependent on the sounds of the neighbouring (or otherwise culturally-significant) nations. Conquered or lower caste nations would use more of the language of the ruling class.

Is that what you had in mind?
That’s some of what I had in mind.

I was also thinking about one of the hypothesized causes of some of the Great Vowel Shift.
The hypothesis is that when the Norman-Anglo rulers of England lost the Hundred Years War and got kicked out of the French Court, they decided to pronounce everything the English way instead of the French or Norman French or Anglo-Norman way, and frequently overcorrected.

There may be other stuff like that.
For instance if a Southern kid goes to college at some Yankee university and gets too much fun made of him, he might over exaggerate the Southronistic characteristics of his English dialect. On purpose. Because he’s pissed off.
And wind up on the far side of the uneducated or untraveled people back home.
If his new habits spread to his speech-community that would be an example of such a sound-change.

Or any other kind of politically-motivated sound change.
I think President George W. Bush out-Texaned himself after losing an election early in his career to an opponent who made fun of George H.W.’s Kennebunkport connections. That’s another for-instance. (Or would be if it affected a whole speech-community!)

Note I am not saying any of these hypotheses are true, nor very likely, nor widely believed to be true or likely. It’s even possible that some people believe some of them have been disproven, for all I know.

I’m just saying there may be enough stories or hypotheses like these, to start a thread.
Or, maybe not. That’s kinda what I’m asking!
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 23 Sep 2020 01:25 I think President George W. Bush out-Texaned himself after losing an election early in his career to an opponent who made fun of George H.W.’s Kennebunkport connections. That’s another for-instance.
See Going Nucular by the late Geoffrey Nunberg.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 67,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

From Sappho this quote.
I can’t translate it yet; can you?

The moon has set,
And the Pleiades.
It is midnight.
Time passes;
And I sleep alone.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

“What’s Opera, Doc?” in Klingon?

Post by eldin raigmore »

In the webcomic “Freefall”, one of the characters says “‘What’s Opera, Doc?’ sounds so much better in Klingon.”.
“What’s Opera, Doc?” is a Warner Bros. cartoon from the late or middle 1950s starring Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny.
Translating it —— or even its one original song —— into Klingon and then performing it, would be a major challenge!

Anyone up to it?