(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Tanni
greek
greek

Re: Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Tanni »

Pe King wrote:I don't want a psychiatrist. I think the idea people make money of the thing is sad (no offense).
Fully second you!
Pe King wrote:It is no wonder the economy is in the trash. No one produces.
That is to be discussed. Surely, there are also many other reasons why economy ''is in the trash''. Thing is, that there are ''phenomenons''/problems/whatever which can't be healed when they happen, and these not only relate to bodily injuries. If there's to many of such things/events, economy very well can suffer. I remember over ten years ago -- I don't look TV for ten years now -- they came up with a report where they stated that bullying in companies can cause millions -- or was it billions -- (I don't know that for sure because it happened that I zapped in the report, so I didn't get all of the information.) of economical loss. (I'm not an economist who knows in what range those figures usually lie. But it can be researched for sure.) They gave figures for three branches of industry. Two of them were 100 millions or billions, and one were 30 millions or billions, if I remember correctly. (I guess the figures were rekoned for one year for one branch of industry each in my country.) That's why bullying today is a crime when done in companies. As far as I know, it isn't a crime outside of a company, alas. They said that there are special clinics now for treating bullying victims. (Other things aside, I think that making up special clinics for that also does cost very much!) I wonder if bullying is a sin, tax dodging is now, btw.

The question behind is how to deal with things that can't be healed if they happen. The simple answer is that they must be avoided! In former times, there was a means for doing so: (Whow, my online dictionary gives me ten possible translations for this!) decency, decorum, integrity, manners, modesty, policy, propriety, prudicity, seemliness, sense of decency. I would also add honour! But these are quite outdated notions in our so-called modern world. Decency seems to have got a negative connotation, as I learnt form Wikipedia (in my mative tongue) a few weeks ago. (I cannot understand why, it is obviously a political thingy.) I wonder if very young people still know that words. And there's another problem: western society people don't like to accept that there are things that can't be done. They strongly believe that everything can be done, that everything is posssible, including that e.g. people with mental problems can be healed. If someone gets dishonoured, you will never be able to ''heal'' him. That's what people like Ossicone can't understand.
Ossicone wrote:
Pe King wrote:I don't want a psychiatrist. I think the idea people make money of the thing is sad (no offense). It is no wonder the economy is in the trash. No one produces.
... but I refuse to believe the people wanting to help other people is ever a problem.
You shouldn't refuse that! People wanting to ''help'' other people -- regardless what their profession is -- often do more harm then they ever can dream of. I made that experience more than once and it destroyed all my life, in a certain sense. That's what I wanted to make clear in the old forum. There's even a proverb saying exactly that (trying to render it in English): ''Good intention if often the opposite of good''.
Last edited by Tanni on 17 Nov 2010 17:08, edited 20 times in total.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Tanni wrote:You shouldn't refuse that! People wanting to ''help'' other people -- regardless what their profession is -- often do more harm then they ever can dream of. I made that experience and it destroyed all my life, in a certain sense. That's what I wanted to make clear in the old forum. There's even a proverb saying exactly that (trying to render it in English): ''Good intention if often the opposite of good''.
You a right. However, I would rather live in a world where people have good intentions. People can't always tell what the consequences of their actions are, but at least they try. I think that part of the problem that what is good for one person is not good for everyone. So no matter someone will end up on the bad side. This could also be said for acts intended to be hurtful. It seems likely that someone would benefit in someway.

"No hay mal que por bien no venga."
"There is no bad from which good doesn't come."
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

They were not kidding. Ethics. Although, Thank, you Tanni.
One just isn't enough.

I am praying for you all, with sincerity and on occasion gritted teeth.

Mathew 5:43-44

I seldom think before I speak.
That requires patience, an art I have little practice in.

-Pe King, I hope.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Ossicone wrote:
Tanni wrote:You shouldn't refuse that! People wanting to ''help'' other people -- regardless what their profession is -- often do more harm then they ever can dream of. I made that experience and it destroyed all my life, in a certain sense. That's what I wanted to make clear in the old forum. There's even a proverb saying exactly that (trying to render it in English): ''Good intention if often the opposite of good''.
... I would rather live in a world where people have good intentions.
Who doesn't?
Ossicone wrote:People can't always tell what the consequences of their actions are, but at least they try.
Yes, of course, but people like priests, doctors, teachers and lawyers, judges, policeman etc. should be more carefully then the average person. Especially priests, doctors and teachers got special education and knew right from the beginning that they will have to deal with people in problematic situations. And they have a special obligation for executive care, especially I think to young persons.

Thing is, Ossicone, that you have a somewhat narrow sight. Face life, there are people who don't ''at least try''! Acutally, they don't try at all! And these are doctors as well. Some days ago, I've met an old woman who told me that her brother and the wife of her brother (who is a doctor) threatened that old lady (long time ago, I suppose) to give her an injection which kills her if she asks for her inheritance. (As the wife was a doctor by herself, it wouldn't stand out.) So the old lady waived that right on her inheritance. She was lucky in that respect that she had a job back then.

And I myself have made lots of experiences that people like to insult and hurt you, just for fun! And our law gives you no adequate means to defend yourself in an effective way in such a case. So you have to swallow the bother, which makes you ill in the long run. And then, you're insulted because you don't complain to the expectation your ''environment'' have towards you, even it that's nothing to do with them.
Ossicone wrote:I think that part of the problem that what is good for one person is not good for everyone. So no matter someone will end up on the bad side. This could also be said for acts intended to be hurtful. It seems likely that someone would benefit in someway.[/qoute]
Yes, but people like you professionally claim that they know what is good for someone. And they do it in a manipulative and suggestive way. (Thats a sure sign that there's something worng!) Or people like judges, teachers etc. They not evan are interested in the truth or what happened. (I have made that experience, and I decided back then to not give them the truth. That's why I'm still here, hate it or not.)

"No hay mal que por bien no venga."
"There is no bad from which good doesn't come."
Some proverbs say exactly the truth, some don't!

Consider that someone gets killed. That's bad for him, isn't it? The only good what can come from that kill is for other people, maybe someone who gets his job now! You are so nice!
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

I am well aware of people who do not care or even try to do a good job. I have suffered the consequences of their apathy and neglect. The problem with this conversation is there is no way either of use could know what the effects of everyone's actions/inactions are. According to your point of view a person does harm either way. It's no wonder people stop trying. Why put the effort and care in when the result is the same?

You say I have a 'narrow view' and that is true, but so do you. Life is too complex for anyone to predict. We can provide stories to support our arguments, but we do not know what other outcomes are possible. So how are we to judge what is best?

Also, I don't believe I have ever claimed to know what is best for a person. I have been taught to help a person find the solution that is best for them. I would never unilaterally make a decision about their life.
Wanderer
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Wanderer »

You guys got it all wrong, allow me to explain.

We don't need psychologists to help us with mental problems, we need more priests who'll drive the devils out that cause such problems.

8-)
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Wanderer wrote:You guys got it all wrong, allow me to explain.

We don't need psychologists to help us with mental problems, we need more priests who'll drive the devils out that cause such problems.
And demons. Don't forget demons.
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:

Devils? Demons? Come on guys. Everyone knows that Oompa-Loompas are the source of all misery.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Ceresz wrote:Devils? Demons? Come on guys. Everyone knows that Oompa-Loompas are the source of all misery.
Oh no! The demon of insanity has him!
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Ceresz wrote:Devils? Demons? Come on guys. Everyone knows that Oompa-Loompas are the source of all misery.
:-|
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

The feayr have an herbal remedy for this.

I'll get you a bucket.
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:

Angels=Demons=Devils, as far as I have read.

Your wish will come true, Wanderer, see Popes-exorcist-squads-wage-war-Satan

Oh, damn, I had problems with satanic thoughts for many years years ago, I didn't attend holy service for years, was told in Turkish lessens that I will go to hell because of that lack of attending holy service, listen to Satanic rock every day, write a story where bat-like creatures, spiders and the Rainbow Demon are a part of and I like Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, and sometimes I hang around with someone who's surname translates ''Devil'', maybe I'm really in urgent need for an exorcist.

And I'm guilty of proposing a framework for a collaborative conlanging tutorial where they not just summon a demon, but also ride on him, regularily, see http://www.cbbforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 6849#p6849. Even worse, I planned to have Sandy visit hell to save her friend who was sent there by the Authority for exzessive conlanging (he devised a triconsonantal root language with tones) and masturbation.
Last edited by Tanni on 17 Nov 2010 21:32, edited 12 times in total.
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

A big bucket.
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Tanni wrote:]Angels=Demons=Devils, as far as I have read.
Not sure where you got that one...
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
Tanni wrote:]Angels=Demons=Devils, as far as I have read.
There are some books, you know!
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
Tanni wrote:Angels=Demons=Devils, as far as I have read.
I think Tanni's right. In Christianity, demon = devil = fallen angel. There are good and evil angels as good and evil humans are.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

Trailsend wrote:The feayr have an herbal remedy for this.

I'll get you a bucket.
What kind of herbal remedy?

Sorry. I just had to.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Milya0 wrote:
Thakowsaizmu wrote:
I think Tanni's right. In Christianity, demon = devil = fallen angel. There are good and evil angels as good and evil humans are.
And in Pullman's His Dark Materials, The Authority is just the oldest angel, see http://www.bridgetothestars.net/index.p ... edia&p=a#A.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Ceresz wrote:
Trailsend wrote:The feayr have an herbal remedy for this.

I'll get you a bucket.
What kind of herbal remedy?

Sorry. I just had to.
Cannabis?
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Milya0 wrote:
Thakowsaizmu wrote:
Originally, demons didn't have that much an evil connotation than they have nowadays. At least the word ''demon'' sounds very peasant to me.