(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Dormouse559

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Dormouse559 »

elemtilas wrote: 23 Sep 2018 02:40
Well, Mothfolk in question apparently have no problem "... wear(ing) silk from other races than their own. they find it rude to wear your slik."
Then you see my point. Either wearing the silk of your dead speciesmates only rises to the level of “rude” for the moths (possible, just probably an important detail to include in a question for people who otherwise know nothing about your conworld) or there is less killing involved than real-world silk harvesting would imply.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Dormouse559 wrote: 23 Sep 2018 22:29
Well, Mothfolk in question apparently have no problem "... wear(ing) silk from other races than their own. they find it rude to wear your slik."
Then you see my point. Either wearing the silk of your dead speciesmates only rises to the level of “rude” for the moths (possible, just probably an important detail to include in a question for people who otherwise know nothing about your conworld) or there is less killing involved than real-world silk harvesting would imply.
Considering how Caddisflies often weave in "junk" from their surroundings into their cocoons, I would imagine some Mothfolk would readily sew in patches of other kinds' silken swatches with no thought at all except "Oooooh, look at my coat of many colors!"

Mothchicks dig coats of many colors (and textures!) [;)]

Looks up caddisly larvae cocoons on Google Images. Is blown away at artist Hubert Duprat's experiments with caddisly larvae making their cocoons with flecks of gold dust, tiny freshwater pearls, and gem shardlets. [O.O] Wow. Just Wow. :mrgreen: :!:

Of course, Caddisflies are something along the lines of 'Neandermothfolk', but mothfolk still!
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

WeepingElf wrote: 22 Sep 2018 18:51
fruityloops wrote: 18 Sep 2018 23:17my moths prefer to wear silk from other races than their own. they find it rude to wear your slik.
Which makes perfect sense. Who wears shoes made of human leather?
Apart from the atrocities of Nazi human skin lampshades, serial killer human skin 'costumes', and Native American scalp trophies, who knows WHAT the earliest Paleolithic (or earlier) humans might have done with the skins of other tribefolk during the hundreds of thousands of years of unrecorded history??? :wat: Perhaps not shoes, b/c human skin isn't thick enough for that, but otherwise, who knows??? [O.o]

https://www.skybound.com/the-walking-de ... t-history/

Pretty grisly, but no more grisly than cannibalism, and there are still folks who practice it/accept it in their culture today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_cannibalism

But I think I'm straying really far from the initial thrust of this thread's thought-path.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Dormouse559 wrote: 23 Sep 2018 00:03
WeepingElf wrote: 22 Sep 2018 23:53True; but AFAIK the process of obtaining silk kills the larva in the cocoon, while human hair can be harvested without harming the person on whose head it grows.
Also true, for real silk worms. But if that's also the case of fruityloops' arthropods, it seems their tolerance for killing is higher than I've assumed; fruityloops hasn't mentioned it as a factor in views of the silk.
IMHO if the mothfolk in question are arthropods, they'd farm live silkworms in the way that ants farm live aphids.
A continuous supply of any commodity (honeydew, silk) is pretty much always preferable over a one-time heist.

Such lepidopterid silk-gatherers would learn how to tell when a caterpillar was ready to spin and coax the grub to spin silk while gathering the threads.

They could do it by simple crank machines as well, sort of like how we harvest spidersilk w/o offing our 8-legged pals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLSGBQUA8l0

[;)]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Precisely!

Further cultural revelation will be required. It could be that Moth-girls lay enough eggs that sacrificing a few of them for the export silk trade is seen as an honourable gift. Maybe ever greater honours are heaped on those who sacrifice more and more of their children (if children they are seen as). How Molochian!
fruityloops
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by fruityloops »

elemtilas wrote: 24 Sep 2018 02:57
Precisely!

Further cultural revelation will be required. It could be that Moth-girls lay enough eggs that sacrificing a few of them for the export silk trade is seen as an honourable gift. Maybe ever greater honours are heaped on those who sacrifice more and more of their children (if children they are seen as). How Molochian!

I had been thinking they used domestic silkmoths as a sort of slave race of sorts. Of course not all my moth folk do this but a few do. I do like the ideas you guys give sometimes.
Spoiler:
this is so screwed up but then again my conworld is kinda alien in some areas
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

fruityloops wrote: 25 Sep 2018 15:30
elemtilas wrote: 24 Sep 2018 02:57 Further cultural revelation will be required. It could be that Moth-girls lay enough eggs that sacrificing a few of them for the export silk trade is seen as an honourable gift. Maybe ever greater honours are heaped on those who sacrifice more and more of their children (if children they are seen as). How Molochian!

I had been thinking they used domestic silkmoths as a sort of slave race of sorts. Of course not all my moth folk do this but a few do. I do like the ideas you guys give sometimes.
Spoiler:
this is so screwed up but then again my conworld is kinda alien in some areas
Also an interesting road to take. Looks like you've got some good options.
fruityloops
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by fruityloops »

while searching for results on spider silk made dresses, here's what i found. google is such a beautiful thing. whelp that's about it. if anyone wants to ask a question go ahead.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Did she have to stand still until the spiders were through tailoring it?
fruityloops
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by fruityloops »

eldin raigmore wrote: 26 Sep 2018 01:39 Did she have to stand still until the spiders were through tailoring it?

https://inhabitat.com/ecouterre/worlds- ... n-display/
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Bonfire Night

Post by eldin raigmore »

Who is doing what to observe Guy Fawkes’s Day?

—————

Did we miss our patroness St. Hildegard’s day not only this year 9/17/18 but also last year 9/17/17?
Dormouse559

Re: Bonfire Night

Post by Dormouse559 »

eldin raigmore wrote: 05 Nov 2018 22:17 Who is doing what to observe Guy Fawkes’s Day?
I tried to blow up a parliament, but the owls just swiveled their heads and saw me, so that didn't go so well. [:S]
rgj40q
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rgj40q »

The CBB was inaccessible for a few days. Is it going to be allright?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin raigmore wrote: 05 Nov 2018 22:17 Did we miss our patroness St. Hildegard’s day not only this year 9/17/18 but also last year 9/17/17?
Uff!

Remiss!!

A (sort-of) poem to Hildegard in an unknown tongue:

O crizanta Kulzhilzmaiz
Chorztum gaudium mei bischinizis
Vrizoil et Veriszoil
orzchisum rangziarum
Razinthia et Scorinzin
Nostra

O Anointed great-great-grand-stepmother
the joy of my youthful self
Virgin and Womb
of measureless tongues
Our Interpreter and Whisperer
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

This needs to be made into a door-sign

https://goo.gl/images/hZVYMx

"Shhh! Conlangers at work!"
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Dormouse559 wrote: 06 Nov 2018 03:16
eldin raigmore wrote: 05 Nov 2018 22:17 Who is doing what to observe Guy Fawkes’s Day?
I tried to blow up a parliament, but the owls just swiveled their heads and saw me, so that didn't go so well. [:S]
LOL! [:D] [xD] :mrgreen:

Lambuzhao wrote: 10 Nov 2018 07:27
eldin raigmore wrote: 05 Nov 2018 22:17 Did we miss our patroness St. Hildegard’s day not only this year 9/17/18 but also last year 9/17/17?
Uff!

Remiss!!

O crizanta Kulzhilzmaiz
Vrizoil et Veriszoil
orzchisum rangziarum
Razinthia et Scorinzin
Nostra

Virgin and Womb
of measureless tongues
Our Interpreter and Whisperer
That’s very good!
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

fruityloops wrote: 18 Sep 2018 20:21 I don't know if this belongs here but I wanna ask, in my world, the main races are mainly humanoid arthropods of different kinds and a few of them can produce silk. what impact would this have on society?
Depends on how much silk they produce. If it is much, then they also need much to eat. As far as I know, real spiders eat their nets to recycle the material. They might need special food. They might use their silk not just for clothing, but also for dwelling, i. e. building cocoons. They might have different kinds of silk, as spiders do. If they are more involved, they might have lots of kinds of silk for different purposes, e. g. building a cocoon, making it watertight, differend kinds of silk threads or tissues, sticky threads/tissues for attaching the threads/silk tissue to stones or trees, different qualities of silk tissues, different kinds of silk tissues for healing purposes (not just for themselves, but also for other species, so they could be some kind of healers).

BTW: I like your idea! My world has intelligent and sentinent giant spiders. Their silk has all the above mentioned properties, some silk tissues are used for treating wounds and to prevent them from infections (also of other species, especially Catys and Humans), and they live in huge cocoons together with some Catys.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

How come Antarctica 🇦🇶 doesn’t have any indigenous ants 🐜 on it?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Not just Antarctica! Greenland, Iceland, parts of Polynesia and the Hawaiian Islands lack native ant species, and… ooooh.
I see what you did there. [B)]

Silly Billy! Y'got me!!
[xP]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin raigmore wrote: 11 Nov 2018 05:55
Dormouse559 wrote: 06 Nov 2018 03:16
LOL! [:D] [xD] :mrgreen:

Lambuzhao wrote: 10 Nov 2018 07:27
Uff!

Remiss!!

O crizanta Kulzhilzmaiz
Vrizoil et Veriszoil
orzchisum rangziarum
Razinthia et Scorinzin
Nostra

Virgin and Womb