Other Creativity

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: Other Creativity

Post by Lambuzhao »

I don't know whether this was a victory or a caving-in to more iddish desires -

I have been growing some native wild plants for microgreen purposes, to expand my palate.
I have had pretty all right success (so far) with purslane (cannot believe that this Summer/tropical plant is clinging on, but I still have 3 little 'bushes' left from about 9 over the summer !!!) a crore of Asian garlic-chives and wild garlic (don't worry: it 'stinks' like garlic, so that means it's edible), a bunch of surprisingly doughty thistle seedlings (by far the best-tasting of my asteraceæ inulin-slaves), dandelion seedlings, wiry mint plants, and some daikon that I let go more to root (I hœp). But I have had nominal success (despite a fungus/white mold attack) with Burdock/gobo. They grow quite strong and the leaves are quite big and tender, but are by far about 20x more bitter than the bitterest dandelion greens I've ever prepared.

Until today (!)

I tried a trick I use with dandelion greens, but with a slightly different twist. The trick is to prepare the greens with bacon fat - salty, luscious, creamy bacon fat. Sonething about the porky naughtiness just neutralizes the bitterest principles of the dandelion, and makes for a truly yummy, hearty worthy late fall/winter veg.

(for the Kosher & Halal, I wouldn't doubt that a good Schmalz or duck fat would also do some marvey culinary magic for ye aulde pissenlit)

But today, seeing as to how I had some bacon laying about from yesterday's brunch kitchen explosion, I wrapped some sticks of bacon in fresh-snipped burdock leaves.

Guess what? Very very om-nom-nom-some. But make no mistake: Burdock is no lame-milquetoast
lettuce or simply ramped up arugula: you have to appreciate it for it's own untamed, indomitable mustang-merits. But if yer brave enough, give it a try. BTW, I would not use the bigger more prominent leaves on a burdock/gobo crown: god only knows what sort of paint they'd taste like.

I also recently bought some gobo root from the local Asian grocery: cannot wait to make some Kenpira Gobo stir-fry once againe!!!!! [:P] [:P] [:P] [:P] [:P] [:P]

Guude Eße!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

@Lambuzhao you probably already know, saltiness is the usual antidote to bitterness.
So the schmaltz will or won’t work, depending how salty it is. (Is my theory — haven’t tried it yet.)

———

I’m jealous you got your kitchen garden to succeed. How?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

I'm at least as surprised. Up til now, my greenthumb seemed to be only for outdoors.
Normally, keeping plants in my doors was an instant, irrevocable death sentence. Well, on reflection, since these plants are being grown for slaughter [:P] , I guess the same holds true. It's just a prolonged sentence, now. [>:)]

Youtube helped a lot. :wat: Did a lot of research there and on the 'Net to see what the next stages of each species' plantlets would be (over the summer).
Putting them almost all in Southern/Western exposure provides plenty of light, which helps a whole lot. [:D]
Not overwatering helped next to most. :roll:

The biggest help is that the microgreens, even the 'milquetoast' vegetals, were selected for nutrition but also durability. I am growing crucifers (radish, daikon, turnip) which spring up almost immediately, provide ample microgreens, and have a tasty peppery bite welcome in sammiches & salads & garnishes, & whatever else. Asian chives and mint are a little higher maintenance, but provide a lot of flavor. I planted the leftover roots of about two bunches worth of regular store-bought scallions. That was in August, and each plant is still regularly pumping out one new spike per week.

After that, all my other kitchen herbs are wild things: Purslane (still growing ?!) was dug from neighbor's yards, and weeded by my son from his mom's yard. Burdock/gobo seeds, Curly Dock seeds, Queene Anne Lace (NOT Poison Hemlock!)t seeds, Milk & Nodding Thistle seeds, Dandelion seeds were all harvested locally. Though their initial growth was sketchy~weedy, they have slowly proved their worth as marathon-running junkyard dawgs with regard to endurance (and my itchy kitchen-shears [}:D] ).

Also, I cannot grow most in the kitchen. I have one tiny sill with a somewhat blocked Eastern exposure. That's the perch for the Gobo plants alone.
So, fluctuations in heat/chill where I grow the rest maybe helping them. Again, the dandelions, gobo, alliums, crucifers kind of prefer it chilly, anyway. [;)]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Also, some are a test in patience.

I have had great success with wild garlic bulbils. And their tender baby spikes are a pure treat compared to the 'wolfy' taste+überaftertaste of the fuller grown, outdoors spikes. My indoors Wild Garlic are a cascade of very thin, lacy green. But they took from July to September to germinate and finally sprout.
Was it worth it? Heck YES! [:P] [:P] [:P]

I am still waiting on wild Garlic Mustard seed I sowed back in August. Some seeds I had cold stratified, some I did not. None have sprouted yet. Still waiting. Internet sez keep waiting. [:'(] *sigh*
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Also, some are a test in patience.

I have had great success with wild garlic bulbils. And their tender baby spikes are a pure treat compared to the 'wolfy' taste+überaftertaste of the fuller grown, outdoors spikes. My indoors Wild Garlic are a cascade of very thin, lacy green. But they took from July to September to germinate and finally sprout.
Was it worth it? Heck YES! [:P] [:P] [:P]

I am still waiting on wild Garlic Mustard seed I sowed back in August. Some seeds I had cold stratified, some I did not. None have sprouted yet. Still waiting. Internet sez keep waiting. [:'(] *sigh*
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Oh, BTW -

All are grown in a mix of about 1/2 seedling starter soil mix, and 1/2 sand. I put pebbles in the bottom for drainage. No containers have drainage holes.
As for containers, I use little $1 store plastic rectangular pencil/pen (??) trays. Some are still growing in larger plastic half-sized windowsill boxes.
But I now realize that I could be growing three smaller pencil-containers worth of plants for every larger windowsill box of dirt i still use... :roll:

We live & we learn.
[;)]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I was going to thank everybody for all those posts, then I realized they’re all Lambuzhao!
So; Thanks 🙏, @Lambuzhao!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao, the inside of your house must be a veritable Garden of Eatin!

Our indoor greenery has, for the last several years, consisted of several citrus trees (lemons or limes or maybe both), an avocado tree and a (I forget the English name) gumumela. No fruits as of yet: trees are too young I think. Also an ancient geranium and an ancient shamrock. Light, of course, is of concern this far north. Especially for relatively tropical plants. Have been considering a supplimental light source to be used a few hours each day.

This year we also inherited some kind of random doctor's-office-tree-with-long-spiky-leaves.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

A sappy singalong as a next upload: Prismmaker lens. (Genre: Soundtrack)

Youtube: Prismmaker lens
Soundcloud profile: Prismmaker lens
"Locked in his chamber, he worked on a prototype. With prisms and lenses, he built an interworldly vision. Stuck on the other dimension. Will he see his friends once again? With his eyes, he sees the prismmaker lens. Through the lenses, they still see."
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

"Dubya the Drunken Driver"

You know Washington, Jefferson, Jackson and Lincoln
Roosevelt, Kennedy, Reagan and Clinton
But do you recall . . .
The pres who drove on alcohol?

Dubya the Drunken Driver (driver)
Drove while he had a red nose (like an Englishman)
When he stole an election (-lection)
Guess whom the Supreme Court chose (like a racehorse)

All of them goddamn liberals (liberals)
Bashed the man and called him names (like Bushitler)
And when he drilled for oil (oil)
Folks threw on their leftist flames (like a gas stove)

Then one sad September day
Rummy came to say (hee, hee, hee):
"Dubya, with your brain so small
You're the one who'll save us all!"

Then he became a hero (hero)
Polls rose up to 93 (since we rigged 'em)
Dubya the Drunken Driver (driver)
Future of the GOP (like Mark Foley!)

"Mary Anne, D'djya Know?"

Mary Anne, d'djya know that your baby boy
Would soon collude with Russians?
Would shut down all discussion?
Did you know your baby boy 'gainst Ted Cruz would compete?
The child you delivered would soon deliver tweets

Would raise crime if you want crime?
Would build a wall you can't climb?
Did you know your baby boy would be a sexist clod?
When the Don wins the White House race, may money be our god

Mary Anne, d'djya know
Mary Anne, d'djya know
Mary Anne, d'djya know
Mary Anne, d'djya know

Too blind to see
Humanity
Is all one race, oh, yeah
So dumb, he'll tweet
From his high seat
About this "covfefe"

Mary Anne, d'djya know that your baby boy'd
Make Clinton's flaws seem littler?
Would get compared to Hitler?
Did you know your baby boy might even nuke Iran?
If you want self-promotion
Trumpster is . . . your man

"Must Be Donald"

Who is a bold, brash billionaire?
Trump is a bold brash billionaire!
Who always talks, but is full of air?
Trump always talks, but is full of air!
Billionaire, full of air
Must be Donald, must be Donald, must be Donald, Donald Trump!

Who's got a toupee on his head?
Trump's got a toupee on his head!
Who knows Ted Cruz as Lyin' Ted?
Trump knows Ted Cruz as Lyin' Ted!
Wig on head, Lyin' Ted
Billionaire, full of air

Who says he'll make this country great?
Trump says he'll make this country great!
Who sure knows how to bloviate?
Trump sure knows how to bloviate!
Make us great, bloviate
Wig on head, Lyin' Ted
Billionaire, full of air

Who married thrice and often cheats?
Trump married thrice and often cheats!
Who gets online and tweet, tweet, tweets?
Trump gets online and tweet, tweet, tweets!
Often cheats, tweet, tweet, tweets
Make us great, bloviate
Wig on head, Lyin' Ted
Billionaire, full of air

Who's as rich as Ebenezer Scrooge?
Trump's as rich as Ebenezer Scrooge!
Who's got an ego that is yuge?
Trump's got an ego that is yuge!
Rich as Scrooge, ego yuge
Make us great, bloviate
Wig on head, Lyin' Ted
Billionaire, full of air

Whose reign is filled with coverups?
Trump's reign is filled with coverups!
Who's living proof that power corrupts?
Trump's living proof that power corrupts!
Coverups, power corrupts
Rich as Scrooge, ego yuge
Make us great, bloviate
Wig on head, Lyin' Ted
Billionaire, full of air

Must be Donald, must be Donald, must be Donald, Donald CHUMP!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

I was bored.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

OMG MORE MONEY

sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I hope my Minecraft stuff is welcome here (I didn't want to keep posting it in the Quintessential Conversation thread):

It started out just as the structure in the bottom right of the map, which still more or less looks like this:

But has ended up becoming a much larger build, currently around 1000 blocks by 1000 blocks.

The stone (grey) and just paths, unless they have spruce (brown) running through them, in which case they're walls of various thicknesses and heights. There are four main baileys through which a path runs (each bailey, as well as the structure as a whole, having a single entrance), which are divided by the thickest walls. The two outer baileys on the left of the map are then further divided into three smaller (sub-)baileys by slightly thinner walls, while the thinnest set of walls runs alongside the "inner" edge of the main pathway (well, mostly) basically just to keep movement from the main path to the wall around the centre bailey just a bit more difficult (I'd call it a "redundant wall", in that they're there "just in case" more than anything else). The main "castle" structure (bottom right) then has its own internal bailey system, as well as a set of barracks outside its entrance (I think there's 200 beds there altogether, as well as bathhouses, mess halls and map rooms).

I'd call it a fortified town more than anything else, and the plan is to fill out the various baileys with houses, stables, forges, religious buildings (the structure to the top right is basically just a glorified nether portal at the moment, but I want that to be a sort of ritual site as well in the end), food storage areas, etc.

Oh, and there's a small harbour at the bottom of the map as well, to the right of the town's entrance.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Got a fair bit of work done on the large church-like building in the central bailey done today after finishing work:

I've intentionally gone heavily overboard on the flying buttresses, since I think it gives it a more... industrial(?) look. Like, from a certain perspective it looks almost like a factory.

I'm also trying my best to stick with some sort of architectural "realism", so no floating walls for internal areas that are higher up that the external parts, which meant that the central spire for that "church" now looks like this when viewed from inside and directly at the centre:

Which I really, really like.
Just one time.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

^Looks like the exterior hallway of a scifi prison spaceship lol [xD]

Still impressive though.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Reyzadren wrote: 24 Apr 2019 01:03 ^Looks like the exterior hallway of a scifi prison spaceship lol [xD]

Still impressive though.
I am so okay with that! [:D]
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

So managed to complete a section that I'm considering a sort of "bailey of the nobility". There are eight buildings which are inspired mostly by the Roman domus, which would act as residences for eight noble families when they spend time in the city (although I suspect only "immediate" family). Each residence has four bedrooms, a few kitchen areas, storage areas to the rear, a dining area, a washroom/toilet, a separate room to house several personal bodyguards (I think I made room for eight in each residence), with the central area being open for receiving guests.

The two walled off areas towards the front of the image are 1) a military area on the left, and 2) an area to house the servants for each noble residence.

The military area houses ten soldiers, as well as the two servants assigned to them, with another building, divided in two between a cooking/mess area and a bathing area. There's then two sets of stables with room for five horses each, and structures built to hold their food.

The houses in the servants' area are pretty basic, being a single room with a fireplace, room for storage, eight beds, and then a separate "out house".

Overall, the map is coming up to be about half-full, with lots still to do, lol:

Just one time.
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

I made these recently. (Yay for playing around with a slowly-developing language.)

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

vampireshark wrote: 22 May 2019 00:17 I made these recently. (Yay for playing around with a slowly-developing language.)
Spoiler:
Curious:

What is the rationale (if you know!) why they would have a 3 denomination rather than a 2 1/2? Is there some historical reason? 2 1/2 would seem to make more sense given the existence of 1/2, 5, 10, 20, 50 as it will evenly go into all the denominations above (plus, in addition with a 1/2, would make 3, if there was some quirk of history making that denomination useful).
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

elemtilas wrote: 22 May 2019 01:55
vampireshark wrote: 22 May 2019 00:17 I made these recently. (Yay for playing around with a slowly-developing language.)
Spoiler:
Curious:

What is the rationale (if you know!) why they would have a 3 denomination rather than a 2 1/2? Is there some historical reason? 2 1/2 would seem to make more sense given the existence of 1/2, 5, 10, 20, 50 as it will evenly go into all the denominations above (plus, in addition with a 1/2, would make 3, if there was some quirk of history making that denomination useful).
Currency-specific, the ordinary pyew is issued in coins of 0.05, 0.25, and 1 pyew (one pyew is divided into 20 ni) and banknotes of 3, 5, 20, and 100 pyew. The reason for the FEC 3 note is because there's an ordinary OSP 3 note. A thing to note is that these are foreign exchange certificates, not ordinary banknotes (and coins), so there are peculiarities in terms of there being more denominations to "facilitate" foreign trade. (There aren't ordinary 0.50 and 1 pyew notes, for example.)

Interestingly (to me, because MONEY), this an attested denomination structure in several currencies (eg. the Cuban peso convertible, the Tajikistani somoni, and the Bahamian dollar). Not sure why exactly, but there is/was real-world inspiration.