Conlanger stereotype poll

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Re: Conlanger stereotype poll

Post by LinguoFranco »

1. Gender: Cismale
2. Sexual orientation: Asexual
3. Handedness: Right
4. Nationality: American. State is South Carolina
5. Ethnicity you primarily identify with: White, of various European ethnicities. Primarily of Scottish and French heritage.
6. Neurotype: Aspie, ADD and possibly OCD
7. Health conditions and physical disabilities (asthma, allergies, near-sightedness, auditory processing disorder, tinnitus
8. Do you wear glasses? No.
9. Facial hair: Yes
10. Body Type: Average
11. Subculture: Loner
12. Species/breed of pets: Reptiles
13. Religion: Baptist
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

OTʜᴇB wrote: 10 Sep 2018 23:31 5. Ethnicity you primarily identify with: White British (I get to choose? What?)
A clarification: I put "primarily identify with" so posters (especially Americans) wouldn't feel compelled to list every single ethnic group in the ancestral part of their family tree. Instead of "I'm 1/4 Italian, 1/8 Irish, 1/8 Puerto Rican, 1/16 Scottish, 3/16 German, 1/16 Powhatan and 1/16 Indonesian", I was hoping to get one or maybe two ethnic groups from each person. One person of the aforementioned combination might think of him- or herself as Italian, while his sister might think of herself as Puerto Rican and his brother might simply identify as "multiracial". Also, if someone wants to say s/he simply identifies him- or herself as a "plain White American" (being, say, English, German, Dutch, Scottish, Swedish and Danish), that's fine with me.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

gestaltist wrote: 11 Sep 2018 10:37 And thanks for linking to that earlier post of mine. It mentioned Lirsh - a conlang I forgot I even had.
You're welcome. Have you come back around to Lirsh since?
♂♥♂♀

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Khemehekis wrote: 02 Jan 2019 07:49
gestaltist wrote: 11 Sep 2018 10:37 And thanks for linking to that earlier post of mine. It mentioned Lirsh - a conlang I forgot I even had.
You're welcome. Have you come back around to Lirsh since?
Only as a nostalgia review. I think Lirsh was my first conlang that wasn't completely clueless but it was still pretty naive. I'd have to rework it to get it up to my current standards. And I haven't felt the need so far. Maybe if I decide to import Lirsh speakers to one of my current conworlds, that would give me an excuse to work on it again.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Reyzadren wrote: 05 Sep 2018 23:37 5. Ethnicity you primarily identify with: Other
I hate to bother you again, but the list of ethnicities was only a list of examples and was not meant to be complete. If you identify as sometjing else, feel free to share exactly what it is!
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2019 06:32
Reyzadren wrote: 05 Sep 2018 23:37 5. Ethnicity you primarily identify with: Other
I hate to bother you again, but the list of ethnicities was only a list of examples and was not meant to be complete. If you identify as sometjing else, feel free to share exactly what it is!
Maybe it actually is "Other"? One thing I've learned is that Reyzadren rarely identifies with pigeonholes of any kind! I sometimes put "Other" on (non-medical) forms. Or just fill in some random circle. None of their effing business anyway.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 15 Apr 2019 07:30 Maybe it actually is "Other"? One thing I've learned is that Reyzadren rarely identifies with pigeonholes of any kind!
I've definitely noticed this myself.
I sometimes put "Other" on (non-medical) forms. Or just fill in some random circle. None of their effing business anyway.
I usually have to put "Other" when asked my ethnicity, because most forms that ask don't have a category for Middle Eastern groups.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2019 07:34 I usually have to put "Other" when asked my ethnicity, because most forms that ask don't have a category for Middle Eastern groups.
You could put Asian, you know. Screw with the System!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 15 Apr 2019 07:35 You could put Asian, you know. Screw with the System!
I've actually pondered doing that before, since geographers say the Middle East is part of Asia. Also, the CIS, where many of my ancestors spent a few generations, straddles Eorope and Asia.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2019 07:38
elemtilas wrote: 15 Apr 2019 07:35 You could put Asian, you know. Screw with the System!
I've actually pondered doing that before, since geographers say the Middle East is part of Asia. Also, the CIS, where many of my ancestors spent a few generations, straddles Eorope and Asia.
Commonwealth of Independent States?

Can I put an invented culture or ethnicity?
Last edited by elemtilas on 15 Apr 2019 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 15 Apr 2019 07:43
You want to answer the survey and list your ethnicity as Daine? Go for it!
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2019 07:43
elemtilas wrote: 15 Apr 2019 07:43
You want to answer the survey and list your ethnicity as Daine? Go for it!
[<3]

That would rather defeat the purpose of the survey, though!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Well, yes.

But do you really identify yourself as a Daine? I guess that's the key question.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2019 07:47 Well, yes.

But do you really identify yourself as a Daine? I guess that's the key question.
:sigh: Only in my dreams. Well, I guess that's half the time!

Last edited by elemtilas on 15 Apr 2019 07:53, edited 2 times in total.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I doubt you could do worse than this.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2019 07:52 I doubt you could do worse than this.
Erm. Actually, some of those answers are spot on!

As for your specific question:

Mind you, there is rather a depth to that question that really bears consideration. And possibly doesn't fit in this kind of poll at all. I mean, The World has been in my head & heart for so long, perhaps questions of identification get a touch, ah, difficult.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 15 Apr 2019 07:56 Mind you, there is rather a depth to that question that really bears consideration. And possibly doesn't fit in this kind of poll at all. I mean, The World has been in my head & heart for so long, perhaps questions of identification get a touch, ah, difficult.
Mmmmm. I think I know what you mean.

After all, ethnicity is part identification. Why do some English/German/Irish-Americans identify as Irish, some as English, some as German, and some as simply White? I'm not sure, but any one English/German/Irish-American's answer to that question should reflect how s/he sees her- or himself.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2019 08:00
elemtilas wrote: 15 Apr 2019 07:56 Mind you, there is rather a depth to that question that really bears consideration. And possibly doesn't fit in this kind of poll at all. I mean, The World has been in my head & heart for so long, perhaps questions of identification get a touch, ah, difficult.
Mmmmm. I think I know what you mean.
Will chaw that over and perhaps address in our long talk.
After all, ethnicity is part identification. Why do some English/German/Irish-Americans identify as Irish, some as English, some as German, and some as simply White? I'm not sure, but any one English/German/Irish-American's answer to that question should reflect how s/he sees her- or himself.
I don't identify as any ethnicity. Especially when it comes to the ones on typical lists.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 15 Apr 2019 08:03 I don't identify as any ethnicity. Especially when it comes to the ones on typical lists.
Not even Filipino?
♂♥♂♀

Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Khemehekis wrote: 15 Apr 2019 06:32
Short answer: I don't talk about non-canon things.

Long answer: Administratively, I was grouped as Other in some places, but not in other places.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread