The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Xonen

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Xonen »

Okay, I just submitted my first abstract for a presentation at a linguistics conference. [:|] Feeling kind of like this penguin, which I can only presume was butchered and gibbeted as a warning to others immediately after these photos were taken.

Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

I assumed the penguin killed and dissected the scientists.

It's possible I have read At the Mountains of Madness too often...
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Salmoneus wrote: 01 Oct 2019 00:55 I assumed the penguin killed and dissected the scientists.

It's possible I have read At the Mountains of Madness too often...
No, I suppose you're right. If I get turned down, instead of wallowing in self-pity I should just pingu up and start preparing my next presentation, Ex Vivo Examination of the Human Vocal Apparatus in the People Who Rejected my Previous Abstract - Let's see how lucky you're feeling this time, Reviewer #2.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I have 2,383 posts now (including this one).

There is a confluence of members with more than 2,380 but fewer than 2,390 posts:

memberlist.php?sk=d&sd=d&start=25

MrKrov 2389 http://www.youtube.com/user/MrKrov Wed 11 Aug 2010, 17:47
Egerius 2388 http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com Thu 12 Sep 2013, 12:29
clawgrip 2386 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 22:33
Keenir 2383 Mon 21 May 2012, 18:05
Khemehekis 2382 Sat 14 Aug 2010, 00:36

Over the next few days, I am going to rise from poster #31 to poster #27!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

Passed my Ph.D. defense a little less than two weeks ago. Still feels strange to have done so.
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

vampireshark wrote: 24 Oct 2019 01:00 Passed my Ph.D. defense a little less than two weeks ago. Still feels strange to have done so.
Congratulations!
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

vampireshark wrote: 24 Oct 2019 01:00 Passed my Ph.D. defense a little less than two weeks ago. Still feels strange to have done so.
Congrats!

Are you experiencing an odd, hollow feeling from having so much free time?
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Hi everyone i haven't talk in the boards actually in... A while, how's everyone doing?

Also strength for the bearded dragon, my dad's 17 year old dog is undergoing a similar process and i totally feel you.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

loglorn wrote: 01 Nov 2019 23:50 Hi everyone i haven't talk in the boards actually in... A while, how's everyone doing?

Also strength for the bearded dragon, my dad's 17 year old dog is undergoing a similar process and i totally feel you.
Hihi,

I haven’t been very active on here either lately. Since last night, I’ve been jotting down some ideas about Húú, Híí’s long-dormant sisterlang. What have you been up to?
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

Xonen wrote: 30 Sep 2019 21:09 Okay, I just submitted my first abstract for a presentation at a linguistics conference. [:|] Feeling kind of like this penguin, which I can only presume was butchered and gibbeted as a warning to others immediately after these photos were taken.
Heh, what I find happens pretty often is that your talk goes just fine but no one asks an actually relevant followup question, including the old timers sitting in the front row. Then again, it makes it that much more rewarding when people come to talk to you afterwards about your work.
Well done. I hope you've found time to properly relax afterwords.

I've been totally overworked myself for the whole autumn, working on several different papers at the same time. I just resubmitted a substantial revision report to a Nature manuscript. Fingers crossed. It turned out extending into 2+13+2 pages of responses to the editor and the referees, all for a letter that mustn't in any case exceed over four pages (though excluding a freer online only method section). The ridiculous thing with these letters is that even with substantial answers to the referees' questions, you often end up only adding or altering one or two sentences per question in the manuscript itself, since there just isn't any more free space to spare. At least it's been a good exercise in concise writing.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

DesEsseintes wrote: 02 Nov 2019 05:16 Hihi,

I haven’t been very active on here either lately. Since last night, I’ve been jotting down some ideas about Húú, Híí’s long-dormant sisterlang. What have you been up to?
Well lately (as in the last two and half years) all my langing and worlding creativity has been direct at Sahar (CWS's collabworld). Most recently i did some scripting, which i posted on the discord (noticed you haven't been there lately Des) and yesterday i came up with sound changes for another language for Shohai (one of my countries in the Sahar collabworld), i'll post a comparative sample here (the three languages of Shohai i have sound changes for, the most recent one top):

Code: Select all

xeránene nganeráslustray omó exéroma
shangenge hangyáathukay omó eshóma
yãkenge ãyálukway omó e'éma
As for Real Life matters, i'm in my second first year of university, still a bit far from those Ph.D. defense shenanigans, thought i plan to be there one day [:P]
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

loglorn wrote: 05 Nov 2019 18:58 on the discord (noticed you haven't been there lately Des)
I should pop in and say hi soon.

Code: Select all

xeránene nganeráslustray omó exéroma
shangenge hangyáathukay omó eshóma
yãkenge ãyálukway omó e'éma
Looks familiar - I think you showed that last one to me a while back? [:D]
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

*sighs*

Well, finally got banned from the ZBB.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Salmoneus wrote: 25 Nov 2019 23:57 *sighs*

Tempban though, right?
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

sangi39 wrote: 26 Nov 2019 09:12
Salmoneus wrote: 25 Nov 2019 23:57 *sighs*

Tempban though, right?
So it seems. It's kind of difficult to tell, though (at least as an occasional lurker), just what logic that place operates on these days... Although I guess one rule that fairly consistently gets enforced on pretty much any platform on the net is "don't talk back to the admin when they're clearly having a bad day". [¬.¬]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Is my new avatar too fast? [:S] Not particularly sure I like the animation either, but I cooked it up over the last couple of hours, since I thought that maybe my avatar needed an update. Idk how to really cut up the circle more into like 16ths or 32nds for a slower animation
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

gach wrote: 03 Nov 2019 20:39
Well done. I hope you've found time to properly relax afterwords.
Thanks. Had a few weeks to relax while brother visited, but now it's back to work, though things aren't very... well, normal as of late. Long story short is that they're having to do a lot of lab rearrangement, which means that I can't go into the lab to work. Not hugely problematic, as I had to take a lot of time to work through thesis corrections (I'm trying to get the final thesis handed in ASAP, but I'm waiting for one last person to sign off!).

Also working on papers as well, including starting for an invited (!) article. (And by invited, oddly enough, I got a personal invitation.) And this is balanced with job search activities: the job I tried for in Luxembourg didn't work out, and since my research doesn't mesh too well with the current landscape, I'm looking elsewhere (Germany, France, Sweden, the Netherlands, the UK...).
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

vampireshark wrote: 29 Nov 2019 00:13 Also working on papers as well, including starting for an invited (!) article. (And by invited, oddly enough, I got a personal invitation.) And this is balanced with job search activities: the job I tried for in Luxembourg didn't work out, and since my research doesn't mesh too well with the current landscape, I'm looking elsewhere (Germany, France, Sweden, the Netherlands, the UK...).
Now there's a difference between academic fields. I don't think in our field invited articles are even a thing beyond lengthy review papers. Another difference is, of course, that the closest thing to lab work I have is traveling to a telescope twice a year (actually leaving again tomorrow). We are using a pretty much private instrument, so apart from running the observations I also have to install the instrument on my own, which is good fun.

What is the same is the agony of applying for positions. Quite often you can't even be sure which country you'll be living in within a few years. A colleague of mine (in Germany) is looking for his next position and decided not to apply for an opening in New Mexico since he thought that that's too remote. Well, now he's nevertheless having an interview to Hawaii.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I thought of my friend John Hensle, July 5, 1993 - December 5, 2016.

https://savegraduation.tumblr.com/post/ ... -1993-2016
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

There is quite a bit of variety in terms of the possible physical states of matter, but more than half of them require extreme cold or heat and/or extreme pressure. In everyday Earth conditions however, four basic or classical types can be identified:

* solid ("earth")
* liquid ("water")
* gas ("air")
* plasma ("fire")
Xonen wrote: 26 Nov 2019 20:28 So it seems. It's kind of difficult to tell, though (at least as an occasional lurker), just what logic that place operates on these days... Although I guess one rule that fairly consistently gets enforced on pretty much any platform on the net is "don't talk back to the admin when they're clearly having a bad day". [¬.¬]
I think a better rule of thumb is, don't write arguments that attack something the admin likes, or defend something he hates. And Sal unfortunately is exactly the kind of guy that likes to philosophize around the controversial, searching for the good in what he thinks is bad, and the bad in what he thinks is good. Sigh, philosophers.

It doesn't surprise me he was banned in the context of making a negative evaluation of the stated official reasons for Trump's impeachment, questioning whether the Democrats followed the spirit of the law. As part of the post, Sal wrote a horrible imaginary scenario involving a ZBBer in order to attack the Congress's conception of the law, and the admin took it to be a fantasy Sal wished to be true. Sal asked the admin to re-read the post to understand what he actually wrote, but I don't think that was the problem. I assume Sal questioning the stated basis of the impeachment is ultimately the real reason for his ban. *shrugs*

(Personally I find the impeachment unsurprising considering that spiteful clown of a president, but it is a hopeless effort when a supermajority is needed in the Senate. It is remarkable that polls show ~45% of the country is in favour of it and ~45% is against, obviously along the usual binary American political line. I'm skeptical that the impeachment will even weaken his reelection chances, or do anything at all. The US, what a damn polarized country...)
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.