Introducing XIPA. (IPA & X-SAMPA input tool)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Aevas
admin
admin

Introducing XIPA. (IPA & X-SAMPA input tool)

Post by Aevas »

I have completely revamped the old simple X-SAMPA to IPA Converter that I had on the old domain, that I know some of you were using.

It is now XIPA., a tool where you can both input IPA characters, and convert X-SAMPA to IPA.

https://cbbforum.com/xipa.html

I hope that you will find it useful [:)] Feel free to give feedback if you feel like something could be improved.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Introducing XIPA. (IPA & X-SAMPA input tool)

Post by elemtilas »

Chapeau! Simple & intuitive! Very easy to use.

Is there any way you could place a permanent link somewhere near the post / reply edit screen? Near the smilies or as a button that would open to a new tab or window?
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

elemtilas wrote: 11 Apr 2020 15:06 Chapeau! Simple & intuitive! Very easy to use.

Is there any way you could place a permanent link somewhere near the post / reply edit screen? Near the smilies or as a button that would open to a new tab or window?
Thank you!

It's probably technically possible, but tweaking the board code will inevitably get messy when we update it :( (Hence why we're sticking with the default forum style atm.) I think it'll be easier if anyone who wants XIPA. readily available simply bookmarks it in their browser.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Aszev wrote: 15 Apr 2020 15:09
elemtilas wrote: 11 Apr 2020 15:06 Chapeau! Simple & intuitive! Very easy to use.

Thank you!

It's probably technically possible, but tweaking the board code will inevitably get messy when we update it :( (Hence why we're sticking with the default forum style atm.) I think it'll be easier if anyone who wants XIPA. readily available simply bookmarks it in their browser.
[¬.¬] but understandable!
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

Aevas wrote: 11 Apr 2020 11:30xipa.html

I hope that you will find it useful [:)] Feel free to give feedback if you feel like something could be improved.
Thank you so much for this revamped version of XIPA! I see it both looks nicer and also has more things, like the zero-morpheme marker ∅ (through a button). It's wonderful!

I'd love it if you could correct a small bug that was also present in the ancient version: the ˞ (rhotic) marker for some reason stops the conversion of the character right before it.

How to reproduce: type an X-SAMPA code that gets converted (e.g. E, A), and then type ` (backtick).
An example:
- input: A`
- output: A˞
- expected output: ɑ˞
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Sequor wrote: 18 Oct 2020 20:07Thank you so much for this revamped version of XIPA! I see it both looks nicer and also has more things, like the zero-morpheme marker ∅ (through a button). It's wonderful!

I'd love it if you could correct a small bug that was also present in the ancient version: the ˞ (rhotic) marker for some reason stops the conversion of the character right before it.

How to reproduce: type an X-SAMPA code that gets converted (e.g. E, A), and then type ` (backtick).
An example:
- input: A`
- output: A˞
- expected output: ɑ˞
I'm glad that you like it! I've been curious about whether anyone has been using it, so your comment is much appreciated 🙂

I've updated it now and added a fix for the rhotic issue. It's not very elegant, because you have to use <_`> instead of <`>, but at least it should work.
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

Aevas wrote: 19 Oct 2020 21:00I've updated it now and added a fix for the rhotic issue. It's not very elegant, because you have to use <_`> instead of <`>, but at least it should work.
Thank you for the fix!

One thing I didn't know I was missing in particular was the inventory of suprasegmentals as buttons. In particular, for some reason, the X-SAMPA codes for tones have never felt intuitive for me, even though I understood in theory that _T = "top" ˥, _H = "high" ˦, _M = "mid" ˧, _L = "low" ˨, and _B = "bottom" ˩.
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Sequor wrote: 20 Oct 2020 03:26One thing I didn't know I was missing in particular was the inventory of suprasegmentals as buttons. In particular, for some reason, the X-SAMPA codes for tones have never felt intuitive for me, even though I understood in theory that _T = "top" ˥, _H = "high" ˦, _M = "mid" ˧, _L = "low" ˨, and _B = "bottom" ˩.
I agree with this. The various diacritics were always the hardest part of X-SAMPA. I like the current buttons with tooltip text, because I usually have a general idea of where the diacritic I'm looking for should be, and now I can simply hover around and find it, instead of having to go look it up somewhere else.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Aevas wrote: 19 Oct 2020 21:00I'm glad that you like it! I've been curious about whether anyone has been using it, so your comment is much appreciated 🙂
I have also been using it [:)] It's how I make almost all of my IPA transcriptions online. Thank you for keeping it up!
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Dormouse559 wrote: 21 Oct 2020 09:11
Aevas wrote: 19 Oct 2020 21:00I'm glad that you like it! I've been curious about whether anyone has been using it, so your comment is much appreciated 🙂
I have also been using it [:)] It's how I make almost all of my IPA transcriptions online. Thank you for keeping it up!
Thanks for letting me know! 🙂
jimydog000
sinic
sinic

Post by jimydog000 »

I thought I would get used to the textbox centring after a while. Nope, it's still annoying.
Its an okay tool. I still prefer another though. I like having the diacritics labelled so I can easily find what I'm looking for, and the zoom and colour choices...
It is the only tool with everything on one page and xesampa conversion gizmos.
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 70,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

Just noticed another bug: the divider of major intonation groups isn't converted.

How to reproduce:
input: || (two vertical lines, as available on the US and US-international keyboards)
expected output: ‖ (U+2016 DOUBLE VERTICAL LINE)
actual output: || (U+007C VERTICAL LINE, U+007C VERTICAL LINE)

Ancillary note: the |\|\ click correctly converts to ǁ (U+01C1 LATIN LETTER LATERAL CLICK).
jimydog000 wrote: 29 Nov 2020 07:44I thought I would get used to the textbox centring after a while. Nope, it's still annoying.
Its an okay tool. I still prefer another though. I like having the diacritics labelled so I can easily find what I'm looking for, and the zoom and colour choices...
It is the only tool with everything on one page and xesampa conversion gizmos.
You can download the page and modify the code, if you know how... Just go to the CSS file (xipa.css) and change "text-align: center" to "text-align: left" under both the .box and .box2 classes. I generally use my own slightly modified version of the page in fact. (I report bugs here because I'd like the official public version bug-free.)

If this sounds like hocus-pocus to you, something easier you could do is:
- Press F12 to open the page inspector on Chrome/Firefox
- Select the Console tab
- Copy-paste the following:

Code: Select all

document.getElementById("ipaBox").style.textAlign = "left";document.getElementById("sampaBox").style.textAlign = "left";
- Press Enter

You need to do it every time you open and load the page anew again, but thankfully only once per visit.

This doesn't work on cellphones though...
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Khemehekis wrote: 07 Jan 2021 07:25 XIPA is now listed at https://www.frathwiki.com/Software_tools_for_conlanging !
I don't understand why you insist on writing my old username when refering to me. It's entirely irrelevant in the given context and the reason I changed it is because I don't want to use it anymore.
Sequor wrote: 13 Jan 2021 18:09 Just noticed another bug: the divider of major intonation groups isn't converted.
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I'll try to look into this when I have some time to spare!
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

Aevas wrote: 15 Jan 2021 19:36
Khemehekis wrote: 07 Jan 2021 07:25 XIPA is now listed at https://www.frathwiki.com/Software_tools_for_conlanging !
I don't understand why you insist on writing my old username when refering to me. It's entirely irrelevant in the given context and the reason I changed it is because I don't want to use it anymore.
Mainly because the name change was so recent that people who aren't CBBizens (or even those who are but haven't been on recently) will likely not know who "Aevas" is.

At your request, I have removed the old name from the XIPA article. I also removed your "deadname" from the quote in the FrathWiki stub article on the CBB (which used your old name because the stub was written many years ago).
♂♥♂♀

Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

Yeah, on the occasions I see discussion of the CBB elsewhere, people often refer to you by your old username, Aevas.
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

I have often seen this too, when I search for conlanging discussions.

But wait . . .

I think I've found a way everyone will understand whom "Aevas" refers to . . .

Click here.
♂♥♂♀