[Split thread] Bob tells us about himself

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Bob
cuneiform
cuneiform

[Split thread] Bob tells us about himself

Post by Bob »

anonymous123 wrote: 31 Aug 2020 19:07 ( original post )
This sounds interesting to me because I'm interested in Iroquoian languages and thinking about doing work towards a free online etymological dictionary for them. Until then, I think the 1960s Seneca dictionary and morphology summary is the best book on Iroquoian etymology (or website). I have that dictionary and have studied it a bit but not much. I'm really interested in 1600s Huron aka Wendat (they really don't like the name Huron, so never use it with them) but haven't done much with it yet except find its free online dictionary and wish it and its sources were more accessible and cited. Speaking of which, there's a really great book about 1600s Huron aka Wendat that runs through all the core vocabulary of interest. I really hope you can get that because I just can't imagine any other book being better for your project.

And I have actually done extensive bibliographic review for Iroquoian languages, just because a nearby university library has a very extensive section on them. And would also recommend the gigantic dictionary for the Tuscarora language. If I remember the name of it correctly. The T- one.

I'm also Mohawk by blood and otherwise somewhat into New World Indigenous and Native American languages.

But I haven't done extensive work finding or studying Proto-Iroquoian articles or books, though I have for Proto-Algonquian, so already I'm learning a lot and getting a review.

You know what I like to do with New World Indigenous languages? Translate their associated myths and myth-derived fairy tales into them. I recommend you consider doing this for this North Iroquoian language. However, it occurs to me that on Conlang Bulletin Board and Zompist Bboard, the sort of extensive translations I do into my conlangs are not so popular as the making and presenting of very detailed grammars. Translations and sample sentences tend to be short, among other things. ( But be careful about this, some New World Indigenous peoples might either take offense at translating myths or such or just not want to talk about it even if it was done due to religious taboos. But then some don't take offense. In case you don't know, and it sounds like you do, there's a lot of variety among and a lot of different such peoples. )

Here's some interlinear glossed translations I made into 1600s Massachusett Language, what I consider to be the second most important historical New World Indigenous language of them all, due to its great yet unsung influence on English but moreover its early, unique, and extensive documentation of indigenous words of anthropological and prehistoric interest.

List of Recent Translations by Me into 1600s Massachusett (the Thanksgiving Indian Language)
https://anylanguageatall411.blogspot.co ... w=flipcard

That website also contains some scant work by me on North Iroquoian languages and bibliography, some of which I think you might actually find helpful and not so laughable. Just search Iroquoian to get to that section of the link list.

Guide to "Any Language at All" Encyclopedic Website and Other Websites by Me
https://anylanguageatall411.blogspot.co ... w=flipcard

Oh, and it's also notable that I find Klingon to be very much like North Iroquoian languages.

Oh, and here's another relevant thought: The last couple years have seen me do a number of conlangs based on whole language families or their branches, with approximation of some historical or ancient member of the family or branch. Yet with a decidedly quick and translation-focused approach. From what I've seen here and on Zompist Bboard, it seems that people like to follow the branch or family characteristics quite carefully, but I like to spice things up by adding in odd things that either match or don't match with the branch or family characteristics. My focus in conlanging is more on etymology and orthography (writing systems), so I think I might be considered to paint in broad strokes with reference to following language typology universals (and phonology). Though I understand more than I care to put into a conlang, and like my conlangs to reflect a very vast reading of historic and archaeological lore and such.

And I don't remember ever seeing anyone who had studied North Iroquoian languages and then said they put that into their conlangs. But maybe I don't remember right. There was someone who said they had studied Algonquian languages quite a bit, maybe on Zompist Bboard.

Hmm. Well, you haven't put much up yet so let's see how you approach it. Me, I think Algonquian and Iroquoian languages are very grammatically similar but maybe I also noticed a lot more polysynthesis with Iroquoian languages, like the "Thanksgiving Ritual" book with semi-glossed texts for Seneca. If I did a conlang like that, since I focus on translation, I'd have to simplify all that and ease my way into it. At least the phonologies are easy as pie and a cake walk to write.
Last edited by Bob on 01 Sep 2020 23:23, edited 1 time in total.