Kranheiŋ (formerly Granheim)

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
reizoukin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Kranheiŋ (formerly Granheim)

Post by reizoukin »

Hey guys. I don't know if anyone remembers me, but back in 2010 and maybe a bit of 2011 I was actively a member of this board. I created a lang called "Roman Georgian" (Which arguably failed). I'm coming to the beginners' corner because I had never learned or used anything complex enough to be considered a strong conlanger.

But recently, after becoming near-fluent in another language (Spanish) and being much more exposed to Mandarin, the itch to get back into this art has been pulling at me. So here's my shot at a conlang...hopefully interesting and unique, but that's not necessarily what I'm aiming for. I just want to explore linguistics and make something interesting. Please make any suggestions you think would improve it, or any terms I've missed out on.

[NOTE: The phonology was changed slightly from the original.]

Phonology, Phonotactics...Phono-:
Spoiler:
Phonology:
Consonants
[p t c k q] -- <p t c k q>
[n ŋ] -- <n ŋ>
[ʀ] -- <r>
[f s ç~x h] -- <f s x h>

[ɑ i ɛ ə ɔ u] - <a i e v o u>

(C)(r)V(V)(N)(FC/C)
Where V is a vowel or diphthong
N is a nasal
F is a fricative
C is any consonant.

/r/ is never doubled.
If there are two vowels in the coda, neither may be a diphthong.

RULES
Word-final fricatives are realized as their voiced counterparts.
Word final /h/ is realized as /r/
/t s/ after /i/ are realized as /c ç/
/n/ before /p b/ is realized as /m/.
If /b/ is in the final position, but is preceded by a consonant, the preceding consonant is labalized and the /b/ is elided.
Verbs:
Spoiler:
This language uses a VSO sentence structure (Indirect Object before Direct Object).

Tense and Mood
Verbs use ablaut to conjugate for 2 tenses within 3 moods. Verbs fall under different categories, which dictate how they change. A verb's category depends on which vowel it has in its stressed syllable.

The two tenses are Present and Future. The three moods are Indicative, Subjunctive, and Optative.

Category 1 verbs
/i/ in coda. Example: Ris (to sing)

Present, Indicative - Ris
Present, Subjunctive - Rais
Present, Optative - Reis
Future, Indicative - Rus
Future, Subjunctive - Ros
Future, Optative - Rois

Category 2 verbs
/e v/ in coda. Example: Fvŋ (to play, as a game), Peŋk (to shine, as the sun)

Present, Indicative - Fvŋ, Peŋk
Present, Subjunctive - Faŋ, Paŋk
Present, Optative - Feŋ, Pvŋk
Future, Indicative - Fuŋ, Puŋk
Future, Subjunctive - Foŋ, Poŋk
Future, Optative - Foiŋ, Poiŋk

Category 3 verbs
/u o/ in coda. Example: Krun (to sleep), Rop (to laugh)

Present, Indicative - Krun, Rop
Present, Subjunctive - Kran, Rap
Present, Optative - Krem, Rep
Future, Indicative - Krin, Rip
Future, Subjunctive - Kron, Rup
Future, Optative - Kroin, Roip

Category 4 verbs
/a oi ei ai/ in coda. Example: Traf (to run), Frains (to flow, as a river)

Present, Indicative - Traf, Frains
Present, Subjunctive - Trvf, Frvns
Present, Optative - Tref, Frens
Future, Indicative - Truf, Fruns
Future, Subjunctive - Trof, Frons
Future, Optative - Trif, Frins

Past Tense
Rather than use conjugation to indicate past tense, Kranheiŋ will use the present form of "to do" plus the past participle of the verb used.

There are, of course, exceptions, but this accounts for the majority of verbs.

Other Notes
Gnomic Aspects:
These verbs take the same form as a future indicative verb, but break up the diphthong into two vowels (Example: Peink -> Pe'ink). In the case of a category 1 verb, it follows the same process with the past optative form.

Passive voice is formed by changing the sentence to SOV format.
More will be added. This is what I have for now. Any thoughts, suggestions, critiques, reformatting tips, etc. etc. etc.? Constructive help is always appreciated.
Last edited by reizoukin on 04 Jun 2012 14:37, edited 3 times in total.
:eng: Native | :esp: Almost Fluent | :zho: Intermediate | :ara: :fra: Interested | :kat: :cym: Very interested.
Maximillian
greek
greek

Re: Granheim

Post by Maximillian »

reizoukin wrote:The fourth mood I mentioned is one I'm not quite sure what to call. To sum it up, it's general knowledge. It describes something that does not take place at a certain time, but is definite.
Like "roses are red, violets are blue"? Then you're looking for gnomic tense/aspect. It is not a mood.
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
reizoukin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by reizoukin »

Maximillian wrote: Like "roses are red, violets are blue"? Then you're looking for gnomic tense/aspect. It is not a mood.
Ah, thank you sir. I'll edit that up above.
:eng: Native | :esp: Almost Fluent | :zho: Intermediate | :ara: :fra: Interested | :kat: :cym: Very interested.
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

Maximillian wrote:It is not a mood.
It may make sense to call it a mood within the analysis of Granheim if the language treats it like one.
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian »

Trailsend wrote:It may make sense to call it a mood within the analysis of Granheim if the language treats it like one.
Of course, everything is relative. I was confused by Wikipedia's own description.
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
reizoukin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by reizoukin »

I've decided that, to make it more unique and interesting, I'm going to change quite a bit of Granheim. First and foremost, the phonology. This will be the new phonology:

[p t c k q] -- <p t c k q>
[n ŋ] -- <n ŋ>
[ʀ] -- <r>
[f s ç~x h] -- <f s x h>

[ɑ i ɛ ə ɔ u] - <a i e v o u>

(C)(r)V(V)(N)(FC/C)
Where V is a vowel or diphthong
N is a nasal
F is a fricative
C is any consonant.

/r/ is never doubled.
If there are two vowels in the coda, neither may be a diphthong.

RULES
Word-final fricatives are realized as their voiced counterparts.
Word final /h/ is realized as /r/
/t s/ after /i/ are realized as /c ç/
/n/ before /p b/ is realized as /m/.
If /b/ is in the final position, but is preceded by a consonant, the preceding consonant is labalized and the /b/ is elided.

Other rules may be added later. I'll be changing the ablaut rules later when I have more time, but I wanted to get this out there first and hear suggestions. I'm also going to change the name of Granheim to Kranheiŋ to fit the new phonology.

EDIT
This is the last change for today, I swear!

I'm going to take a chance and remove the past tense ablaut. Rather than use conjugation to indicate past tense, Kranheiŋ will use the present form of "to do" plus the past participle of the verb used.