First Conlang: Aigean

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
InquisitorJL
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

First Conlang: Aigean

Post by InquisitorJL »

Looking back on my previous attempts at conlanging, Aijean (in the conlang called Haidje) is probably the first time I have gotten far enough into a project before it could be called a conlang. I've read about lots of conlangs, and also written down vague collections of ideas before, but never produced more than about a phoneme inventory before.

The anglicised name of the conlang comes from my nation on NationStates, however, I'm not sure I intend for it to be assocciated with that country. I just liked how the name sounded. If I am happy with the end result, I am probably going to use it as a protolang for a group of nomadic peoples originating from an island chain with a mediterranean like climate. Some will settle on the islands, while others will retain their nomadicism, and with their knowledge of boats and sailing will move to a larger, cooler, more temperate continent, where the language will spread along coasts and rivers as they settle down there.

Phonolgy

CONSONANTS
Aspirated Plosives /pʰ tʰ kʰ qʰ/ <ph th kh qh>
Plosives /p b t d k q/ <p b t d k q>
Affricates /tɕ dʑ/ <tj dj>
Fricatives /f v s z ɕ ʑ x ʁ h/ <f v s z sj zj c g h>
Nasals /m n ɲ ŋ/ <m n nj nk>
Approximants /ɹ j/ <r j>
Laterals /l ʎ/ <l lj>

VOWELS
Closed /i ɨ u/ <i y u>
Mid /e ə/ <e o>
Open /a/ <a>

DIPHTHONGS
'Strong' /ai au ei/ <ai au ei>
'Weak' /aə uə eə/ <ao uo eo>

'Strong' diphthongs are roughly twice the length of a pure vowel, and have falling stress. 'Weak' diphtongs are shorter in length and both elements are equally stressed.

ALLOPHONY
  • /q/ and /ʁ/ become [g] and [ɣ] intervocalically
  • /v/ becomes [w] intervocalically
  • /p/ and /f/ become [ɸ] and [h] word initially
  • /k/ and /x/ become [c] and [ç] before /e/, /ei/ or /i/
  • 'Weak' diphthongs become [ə] in an unstressed syllable
  • In any cluster with a voiced plosive, /s/ assimilates to [z]
PHONOTACTICS

Syllables have a (C)CV(C) structure, where V can be either a vowel or a diphthong. However, they tend towards open CV or CCV structures, preferring to form a cluster where legal, as opposed to a final consonant. An aspirated plosive loses it's aspiration if it forms a syllable coda, and a plosive isn't released word finally.

Legal initial clusters are as follows:
  • Plosive or Nasal + Approximant
  • Plosive + /s/
  • /fs/, /fɕ/, /sf/, /ɕf/ and voiced equivalents
In medial positions the following are also allowed
  • Nasal (excluding /ɲ/) + Plosive (assimilates to match point of articulation of nasal)
  • /s/ + Plosive (/q/ becomes [g])
  • geminates of non-plosives
Syllables are not allowed to start with a vowel. When two vowels come together in a word, an unmarked [h] is inserted between them, [j] where the second vowel is /e/ or /i/. A diphthong containing /e/ or /i/ will have it become [j] between the other element of the diphthong and anohter vowel. /u/ will become [w] in this position.

STRESS
Stress falls on the penultimate syllable of a root word, moving to the final syllable if any suffixes are added to the root. Stress is marked by a lengthening of the vowel, and by a notably higher tone.

I hope to get a sketch verbal morphology up tomorrow, and also the nominal morphology if I can get it worked out in time. For now I can give some ideas I am hoping to incorporate in the Aijean's morphology and syntax:
  • mostly agglutinative typology, though with a few fusional and analytical structures
  • VSO strongly head final word order
  • topic prominent language, with the topic being the first part of the sentence
  • very limited distinction tense and aspect (considering three distinctions combining tense and aspect, called past, non-past and perfect)
  • voice, evidentiality and the subject marked on the verb, as well as a large number of moods
  • animacy system (spirit/abstract, human, animal, edible, inedible) and split ergativity based on the animacy of the subject
  • two negative structures, with subtle differences in meaning and/or usage
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: First Conlang: Aigean

Post by Khemehekis »

That phonology is music to my ears.

Now, you said that your language was both VSO and topic-first. Can you go into detail about how this works? How your language starts sentences with the topic without starting them with nouns?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
InquisitorJL
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by InquisitorJL »

Something along the lines of Topic - Verb - (S) - (O). Whatever is the topic would be moved ahead of the verb. An example - using nom/acc for ease

Subject as topic - The dog bit the man
dog-TOP bite man-ACC

Object as topic - The dog was bitten by the rat OR As for the dog, the rat bit it
dog-TOP bite rat-NOM

Oblique as topic - As for dogs, I like Labradors
dog-TOP like 1S-NOM Labrador-ACC

Whatever role in the sentence the topic plays, it will be moved to the start. Through a combination of case marking, and also the distinctions in voice, I'm hoping it'll be clear what role the topic has in the sentence, by what argument the verb is missing.

* this language is likely to be pro-drop been as the subject is marked on the verb, for the last example "dog-TOP like-1S Labrador-ACC would probably be more accurate
InquisitorJL
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by InquisitorJL »

Verbal Morphology

Verbs are marked for voice, evidentiality, mood and the subject of the verb. They also take particles for marking a limited combined tense/aspect distinction. Verbal roots are distinguished between mono and polysyllabic roots, as well as roots ending in vowels or consonants.
  • A monosyllabic root takes all suffixes directly onto the root
  • A polysyllabic root ending in a vowel drops the vowel, if the suffix added directly to the root begins with a vowel
  • A polysyllabic root ending in a consonant drops the consonant, if the suffix added directy begins with a consonant
The structure goes like this:

tense ROOT-voice-evidentiality-mood-person

TENSE/ASPECT

There are three particles used to mark this. However, when there is an adverb present marking time, the speaker feels it is obvious from context, or just does not consider it important these particles are omited.

PAST bei - Used, for continuing actions in the past, or happening repeatedly or habitually in the past

PERFECT jyn - Used to mark an action begun in the past that is relevent to the present situation, or an action that has been completed

NON-PAST hu - For actions begun in the present or future

If unsure, omit the particle.

VOICE

Basic -0 - Used with simple active or passive sentences, whether it is active or passive is shown by the topic

Adjudative -er - Expressed helping someone to do something. The noun helping becomes the subject, and the noun being helped is put in the dative case. Can also be used to express doing something for someone.

Causative -yd - Expresses making someone do something. The noun doing the making is the subject, the person being made to do something is the object and the noun that would have been the object in the basic voice is put into the instrumental case.

Reflexive -on - Used when the subject and object are the same thing, or also with a reciprocal meaning of doing stuff to each other. Allows omission of object pronouns.

EVIDENTIALITY

Sensory -(y) - Typically used when the person can see what is going on, or knows what's going on because they are doing it, but can be used with other senses if the speaker feels that it is impossible for anything else to be occuring with what they are hearing/smelling ect. Usually omitted unless the speaker wants to emphasise this is the case.

Deductive -au - Used for senses other than sight when it is unclear, or when the speaker feels he is decuding something through logic or common sense

Reported -qhum - Used for something where the speaker has been told it by someone else. Using the particle "koge" immediately preceding what someone has said will indicate that it is a direct quote, or also if the speaker believes it to be true.

MOOD

Indicative -0 - Standard mood for saying something is the case.

The generic and declerative never take a marking for evidentiality. They are used for things that speaker believes generally accepted to be true. Generic is used if the statement is generally true, while declerative indicates the speaker believes it to be factual and always true.

Generic -jaq
Declerative -sun

The interrogative and first negative are not suffixed but are instead treated as auxilliary verbs of a sort. The root verb is still marked for voice and subject, and the auxilliary follows the root verb, carrying markings for mood and evidentiality.

Interrogative tha-
Negative I. ren-

The second negative is formed using a suffix -r or a particle gu preceding the verb (used when the speaker whishes to mark a second mood on the verb). While the first negative is used for saying something is simply not the case, the second negative comes with suggestions of something never being the case (e.g someone saying not only that they aren't doing something but they are incapable of it), or for correcting something that someone else has expressed with a positive sentence.

Negative II. -r OR gu

These are used for commands. The imperative is considered a direct command and is usually directed at a second person subject. The jussive shows more of a suggestion, or an encouragement, and is typically used with a subject in the first or third person. To suggest that a second person do something it is typically formed using 3s or 1pl, as in "someone should do ..." or "let us do...". The particle he goes at the end of the sentence.

Imperative -0 he!
Jussive -s he!

Delibrative -rek - Used to suggest something should be the case

Volitive -j - Used to show wanting to do something, or hoping something will occur. Often used as a round about way of marking a future occurence the speaker feels it is likely will occur.

Potential -sjo - Used to say something is possible, or someone is capable of doing something

Conditional -hu - Used to say something would happen, if something else was the case

Subjunctive -se - A catch all mood, often used when the speaker feels no other mood fits. Comes with connotations of something being probable, or hoped for (though not as strong as volitive). Used like the volitive to mark a possible future occurence, when the speaker feels it is uncertain if it will actually happen.

Dubiative REP -khan / DED -an - Only used with the decutive and reportative evidentialities, and the two combine in a single suffix. Used to express doubt as to something being the case.

SUBJECT

This agrees in person, number and animacy with the subject of the sentence.

Code: Select all

Spirit/Abstract		   Human		     Animal	       Edible	       Inedible
1s            -ces              -esj            -               -               -
2s            -ce               -ed             -o              -               -
3s            -i                -i              -u              -sy             -sy
1pl           -cesei            -esjei          -               -               -
2pl           -cen              -edei           -on             -               -
3pl           -ren              -ren            -un             -syn            -syn

That's all I've got so far, though I am starting to develop a pretty good idea of what the case system will look like, and hope to get the nominal morphology posted tomorrow, along with hopefully some basic syntax, and perhaps some basic examples.
Chelsara
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Chelsara »

This seems pretty cool and well thought out! Can't wait to see some examples.
cartweel
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by cartweel »

You have really made me smile, since the name of one of my very very early attempts was something like "Akhaian," something I got from my ancient Greek class.

The language was spoken by some half-feline arctic nomads... or something.
InquisitorJL
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by InquisitorJL »

It's late, and I'm going on holiday tomorrow, so I haven't got as much done as I like, but here is a quick look at nominal morphology, as well as an attempt at the first line of the babel text.

Nominal Morphology

Nouns are marked for number and case. Case markings for some cases vary depending on the animacy of the noun. All nouns have a vowel as part of the root. This vowel is dropped before a suffix begining with a vowel. Nouns take the following structure:

ROOT-case-number

ANIMACY

Spirit/Abstract - the speakers of Aigean have a strong belief in spirits and this is used to refer to them. It is also used for animate nouns in the first person, or inanimate ones (edible/inedible) in the first and second persons - as it is believed it is the spirit in those cases, not the actual object. Also used for abstract concepts that aren't clearly attached to a specific object - i.e. emotions are human, but time is abstract.

Human - used for humans, or intrinsically human things such as emotions, or speech.

Animate - used for animals, and some things such as rivers and fire which are constantly moving and changing

Edible - Used of plants, the fruit of trees, and of meat that has been prepared. Also stuff that can be drunk like freshwater

Inedible - Inanimate objects that don't fit in edible. Rocks, the bark of trees, tools, pretty much anything that doesn't fit in any other catergories.

CASES

Topic - This is used to mark the topic of the sentence. It can usually be omitted been as it is typically clear from the syntax what the topic is.

Nom/Abs - The least marked form of the noun, this is the subject of a sentence when it's of animate or higher animacy. If the subject is inanimate then it's the object of a transitive sentence, or the subject of an intransitive one.

Acc/Erg - In a transitive sentence this plays the role not occupied by the word in the Nom/Abs case.

Dative - Used for indirect objects, motion towards something - and commonly used for oblique arguments, along with the instrumental case

Instrumental - Used for something being used to do something, and also of being located with something. Along with the dative this is often used for oblique arguments. In fact it seems that if you are unsure of what case something should be in, the instrumental is probably the safest bet.

Genetive - Used for possession, composition and origin

Locative - Used for current location

Ablative - Used for movement away from

Semblative - Used to say something is like something, or is similar to something

Partitive - Never combined with marking for number. This is used an adjective or a particle gives the number.

Only topic and nom/abs have the same marking for all types of noun, other cases show a abstract/animate/inanimate distinction, or a distinction marking all 5 types of animacy.

Spirit/Abstract      Human      Animate      Edible      Inedible
TOP              -i             -i         -i           -i          -i
NOM/ABS          -0             -0         -0           -0          -0
ACC/ERG          -oq            -og        -og          -o          -o
DAT              -yhaq          -yga       -yga         -y          -y
INS              -ubeq          -uve       -uve         -u          -u
GEN              -suome         -suon      -suo         -su         -wu
LOC              -ksaq          -ksan      -ksa         -cyn        -cy
ABL              -gaq           -gan       -ga          -hyn        -hy
SEM              -qhaq          -qhai      -qhan        -qa         -qo
PAR              -jiq           -jei       -ji          -en         -ei
NUMBER

Single -0 - Used for one of an object

Paucal -hen - Used for specifically 2-5 objects, or more generally a few, typically to express fewer than expected. If the noun is the subject this still takes singular endings on the verb

Plural -n - Used for more than one of an object in cases the paucal is unsuitable. If a case ending ends in a consonant, this is pronounced as a nasalised central vowel [ə̃]

Babel Text (first line) + lexicon and notes

A lot of the stuff in this I'm still working out, but for now this is the first line of the babel text

himesuon thu haisjo(i)n jossunren lu haidjuve tidjuvehenpha pha

hime-suon thu haisjo-(i)-n  jos-sun-ren lu  haidj   -uve tidj-uve-hen=pha pha
1pl -GEN  all people-TOP-PL be -DEC-3PL one language-INS word-INS-PAU=and and
and all of our people had one langauge and few ideas

thu "all, every" is one of a number of particles relating to number, that precede the noun they modify. lu "one" is a number and behaves in a similar way to these particles.

haisjo is a word meaning 'person' or 'human', most commonly found in the plural haisjo-CASE-n where it means people. Due to the nomadic nature of the culture speaking Aigean, the same word is used for people, and the lands they currently live on. It is derived from the verb hai meaning to speak or to say, and the potential suffix - in essence meaning "those that can speak"

hime is the third person plural pronoun. Personal pronouns in Aigean take case marking like nouns, but number is built into the root. The phrase himesuon haisjon means "our people" or "the land we live on"

jos is the root of the verb "to be". Used taking an instrumental argument it means "to be with" or "to have"

haidje and tidje come respectively from the verbs for to speak and to think. The ending -dje gives a concept of what results from this action. Hence:
haidje: language
tidje: idea, concept, word

pha "and" can be used as both a clitic and a particle, in both cases going at the end of the two words, clauses or sentences they are joining together. Here the second pha indicates that this sentence is following on from sentences that, at least in this case, aren't given.

LEXICON

hai: to say, to speak
jos: to be
ti: to think, to understand

haidje: language
haisjo: person, land, country
hime: 3PL pronoun, we, us, ours etc.
tidje: thought, concept, idea

lu: one
pha: and
thu: all
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Arzemju »

The language looks really nice, is it totally priori-made? or does it have natlang influences?
Fluent: :fra: :eng: | Learning: :esp: :tgl: :epo:
InquisitorJL
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by InquisitorJL »

a-priori: some of these ideas have been floating around my head for quite some time but I didn't have enough to put them all together. I have been reading about japanese and turkish recently, as well as dutch phonology - I wasn't intending to mimic these but I've felt some of my ideas have unintentionally (though not unfortunately cos I like those langauges) been influenced by these languages.

Also ... because I am going to be on holiday I'm not going to be able to update this for about 10 days. I just don't want you to think I have given up on it, I'm probably not gonna have much access to a computer.
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Arzemju »

InquisitorJL wrote:a-priori: some of these ideas have been floating around my head for quite some time but I didn't have enough to put them all together. I have been reading about japanese and turkish recently, as well as dutch phonology - I wasn't intending to mimic these but I've felt some of my ideas have unintentionally (though not unfortunately cos I like those langauges) been influenced by these languages.

Also ... because I am going to be on holiday I'm not going to be able to update this for about 10 days. I just don't want you to think I have given up on it, I'm probably not gonna have much access to a computer.
Get some holidays and then come back with fresh ideas for words :D
Fluent: :fra: :eng: | Learning: :esp: :tgl: :epo: