Belvar

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
masako
mayan
mayan

Belvar

Post by masako »

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/belvar.htm
The Belvar alphabet was invented by DonZabu from March 2010 to May 2010. He got the idea for it during a brief immersion into the Lojban community, where he found that there was some demand for a writing system that kept to the same principles that Lojban itself was founded on: logic, unambiguity, and cultural neutrality.

Functionally, it's based on the International Phonetic Alphabet. Visually, it's based on the Latin alphabet, with the individual shapes chosen more for their morphability than anything.

Each Belvar letter conveys 3 pieces of information: for consonants, it's the place of articulation, the manner of articulation, and whether or not it's modally voiced. For vowels, it's how open it is, how front-to-back it is, and whether or not it's rounded. The consonant letters convey this by shape, stem, and underline respectively, and the vowel letters convey this by shape, diacritic, and underline respectively.

I give this script a 4/10.

That's a 3 for functionality. It does however lack distinguished characters for non-pulmonic consonants, affricates and co-articulated/complex consonants, this means it falls short of its creators claims of being able to write any language. It does come close to providing a kitchen sink for phonemes, but that does not necessarily make it a complete script.

A 1 aesthetically. I am tempted to scream Tengwar, but that would be trite an memetic. It is my experience that very few people enjoy a script that has a multitude of repetitive symbols simply flipped horizontally and/or vertically. I do not think this script comes anywhere near aesthetically pleasing, at least not in its current state. I think it would be nice if the author would attempt some cursive or free writing and see where this script goes.
g

o

n

e
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Re: Belvar

Post by Ossicone »

I wouldn't even give it a 3 for functionality. I really prefer for scripts not to be too dependent symbols that are mirror images or rotations of one another.(I fuck up by b's, p's, d's and q's all the time.) Not to mention I don't see any advantage of this over straight ipa.
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

op lirrdob drihb op dopb dpr obb rhwop ib bihbibr obb pribb. bci op obbrib wib prbob obb hrbbobb obb bib jhb bcipbb wob obobop ib o bdipib od dpobopliib.

I think that explains the biggest problem I have with this.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Ossicone wrote:Not to mention I don't see any advantage of this over straight ipa.
Nor do I. From what I've seen, most attempts at a phonetic/universal alternative try to stay away from the Latin based theme. This script starts out by saying "Visually, it's based on the Latin alphabet..." which in my honest opinion dooms it to failure in an aesthetic way right off.

I will say though, many people do not create scripts with any sort of ostensive intent on trying to be advantageous over any other.
g

o

n

e
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

sano wrote: I will say though, many people do not create scripts with any sort of ostensive intent on trying to be advantageous over any other.
But then what's the point?
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Ossicone wrote:But then what's the point?
Creativity?

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/conscripts.htm#phonetic < These seem to be all of the same intent, to be advantageous over existing orthographies, but numerous others seem to have been created just for the sake of creation.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tciaar.htm < This is probably my favorite example of a script that can potentially be used to write a myriad of languages but does not make the lofty claim of being able to write every language, nor does in necessarily seek to replace numerous writing systems, but simply to be an alternative.
g

o

n

e
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

I can honestly say I am not a fan of that. No, sir. Not one bit.