Yozur language

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Yozur language

Post by Omzinesý »

Yozur [ɥəʒɨ:r]

This is my old conlang Qizūr that is changed guite much. I considered going on with the old thread, and due to that the first post of it is identical to this one, but decide to make a new one, after all.
-Only 3 vowels now
-An ejective plosive series added

Yozir [ɥə'ʒɨ:r] (maybe Yozirian in an English way) is my old renewed PIE descendant lang. It is spoken by a people that calls itself Yure[ɥy:rə] ’the people’. (Based on the Indo-European root wīr- ’man’. It’s spoken somewhere between the Caspian Sea and the Lake Aral. I try to mix some altaic features in it. It is a satem language (c>s, ɟ>z, ɟʰ>j) but not closely related to the other satems ones. Its phonological system actually resembles the Semitic languages with its several infixes and ablaut changes in the word stems.
It is somewhat based on Glottalic theory, but it can be derived from the traditional reconstruction, too.

Yozur began to use the Latin alphabet during 19th century by influence an European trend. The earlier alphabet was based on the Arabic one, which was actually not a very bad system for Yozir.

Vowel inventory

There are only three vowel morphemes: closed; mid; open. So, length, roundedness and the place of articulation are not distinctive features. There are of course rules limiting these features but they are related to consonants instead.

closed:<i> [ɨ][ɯ:] <u>[y][ʉ]
mid: e[e][ɘ][ɤ] o[ø][ɵ][o]
closed: a[a][ä][ɑ] q[ɶ][ɶ̈][ɒ]

The unstresses vowels are somewhat more centralized, but I don't see necessary marking them with different IPA marks.
Consonant inventory

voiceless plosives: p[p], t[t][tʷ], c[c][cʷ], k[k][kʷ]
voiced plosives: b, d[d][dʷ], j[Ɉ][Ɉʷ], g[g][gʷ]
ejective plosives: p’[p’], t’[t'][tʷ’], c’[c’][cʷ’], k'[k’][kʷ’]
implosives: b'[ɓ], d'[ɗ][ɗʷ], j'[ʄ][ʄʷ], g'[ɠ][ɠʷ]
voiceless sibilant: s[ʃ]
voiced sibilant: z[z][ʒ]
nasals: m[m], n[n][nʷ],
liquids: r[r], l[l], ll[ʎ], h(a nasalized alveolar lateral), lh(a nasalized palatal lateral)
semivowels: y[j][ɥ], w[ɰ][w]

Consonants

As you can see, all the consonants except liquids and labials have a labialised pair. Before a vowel their difference is marked in the vowel (after a labialised consonant a "labial" vowel: u, o, q and after "non-labial" consonant the vowel i, e, a). Only "non-labials" are written after bilabial consonants. The vowels are pronounced rounded after a labialised consonant and unrounded after a not labialised consonant but labialisation is a feature of the consonant after all. If there is no consonant after a labialised vowel, <v> is written to indicate labialisation. /ʃ/ and /ʒ/ are understood to be the labialised pairs of /s/ and /z/, but the following vowel is pronounced unrounded.

Vowels

So, the preceding consonant orders the roundedness of the following vowel. Word-initial vowels are defaultedly unrounded but the last consonant of the preceding word, especially in the same phase, makes them rounded . After /ʃ/ and /ʒ/ the vowel is after all pronounced unrounded.

POA
The vowels are pronounced front beside a palatal consonant and back beside a velar consonant. If there are both a palatal and a velar or none of them beside a vowel, it is pronounced central.

Later I maybe find time to explain how the phonology has developed from PIE.
Last edited by Omzinesý on 09 Jan 2012 19:33, edited 2 times in total.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Solarius
roman
roman

Re: Yozur language

Post by Solarius »

Looks nifty. I do want to see the changes. One question: Is there any Sandhi?
CMunk
greek
greek

Post by CMunk »

Definately a cool phonology.
Omzinesý wrote:closed:<i> [ɨ][ɯ:] <u>[y][ʉ]
mid: i[e][ɘ][ɤ] o[ø][ɵ][o]
closed: a[a][ä][ɑ] q[ɶ][ɶ̈][ɒ]

I really like this phoneme (in bold), but <q> as a vowel grapheme seems odd to me. Maybe <oa>, <ó> or <ǫ> could work? But if you're not into vowel digraphs or diacritics, there's really no way around it. (Oh, and I guess the mid front vowel should be <e>, right?)

Omzinesý wrote:POA
The vowels are pronounced front beside a palatal consonant and back beside a velar consonant. If there are both a palatal and a velar on none of them beside a vowel, it is pronounced central.

It's probably just a typo, but this part confused me a bit. Do you mean that if there is both a palatal and a velar beside the vowel it is central, and the same goes for a vowel with neither palatal nor velar consonant near it? (I guess it's what you call NAND in logics).
Native: :dan: | Fluent: :uk: | Less than fluent: :deu:, :jpn:, :epo: | Beginner: Image, :fao:, :non:
Creating: :con:Jwar Nong, :con:Mhmmz
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

CMunk wrote:
The vowels are pronounced front beside a palatal consonant and back beside a velar consonant. If there are both a palatal and a velar on none of them beside a vowel, it is pronounced central.
It's probably just a typo, but this part confused me a bit. Do you mean that if there is both a palatal and a velar beside the vowel it is central, and the same goes for a vowel with neither palatal nor velar consonant near it? (I guess it's what you call NAND in logics).
That's my reading; I took the (highlighted) 'on' to be a typo of 'or'.
As an aside, I like this idea; it reminds me a little of Gaelic's 'slenderisation' rule, where consonants between the slender vowels <e i> are palatalised.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Lodhas wrote:
CMunk wrote:
That's my reading; I took the (highlighted) 'on' to be a typo of 'or'.
As an aside, I like this idea; it reminds me a little of Gaelic's 'slenderisation' rule, where consonants between the slender vowels <e i> are palatalised.
This is the old (ruined) post and it is full of typos.
The central vowel is <e> of course.
And it should be /or/.

I do highlight that the roundedness is marked in vowels, but it is a feature of consonants.
- There are no rounded vowels not preceded by a rounded consonant. (Initial vowels are always unrounded)
- Laterals or sibilants cannot be followed by a rounded vowel (because they are never rounded themself).
- Final consonants can be rounded (marked C + <v>)

My old ortigraphy used <va> instead of <q>. It has the same effect the preceding consonants is rounded. Yes, <q> may be an odd choise. I don't either like <w> being not labial sometimes.

Sandhi. There are sanhi phenomena inside words. Ejectives are geminate consonants actually.
A a labialised consonant can make the following vowel rounded, even over a word border.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760