Lexicon milestones and discussion of lexicon growth

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Re: Lexicon milestones

Post by clawgrip »

What makes you feel that males are pushed towards linguistics? I feel like linguistics is something few people are actually pushed towards. Seems like kind of a fringe thing, especially when compared to science or social work.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

clawgrip wrote:What makes you feel that males are pushed towards linguistics? I feel like linguistics is something few people are actually pushed towards. Seems like kind of a fringe thing, especially when compared to science or social work.
I don't mean more in general, I just mean more than women. It's still pretty fringe, but men are given more leeway than women in what they really want to do. And I think pushed or forced aren't really the right words to use. It's more that men have more of a choice in what they can pursue. Everyone knows Curie, but I doubt that the average person really knows much of linguistics past Chomsky's name, much less female contributions in linguistics. It's also part of the whole fantasy element of conworlds that men are pushed towards. But overall, I think that the ratios are much more even than a 9:1 ratio, and are rapidly decreasing, due to an increased media representation of fantasy geared towards females (without asserting that females should get different representation).
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Not a major milestone to mention, per se, but I mark it here to coincide with the "accomplishments" thread:

As of now, the Japonégueule - English lexicon is at 398 entries; the English - Japonégueule counterpart is at 455. I suspect it'll be a while before any significant milestones are reached.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Lao Kou wrote:As of now, the Japonégueule - English lexicon is at 398 entries; the English - Japonégueule counterpart is at 455. I suspect it'll be a while before any significant milestones are reached.
well, you made it safely past 444, so that's good.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Keenir wrote:well, you made it safely past 444, so that's good.
Ah, but what of 666?

道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Lao Kou wrote:
Keenir wrote:well, you made it safely past 444, so that's good.
Ah, but what of 666?

616 is in the future, and will be as easily passed as 444 was.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Azen hit 400 words a couple of days ago, with word #400 being shāni, 'to hurt (emotionally/mentally)'.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Kankonian just reached 51,832 words with blatos, a noun meaning "twentyness" (from blat, twenty, and -os, a suffix equivalent to -ness).

Vedanic has 51,831 words, so Kankonian has just surpassed Vedanic in size.

Now there are only five conlangs with larger lexica than Kankonian: Interlingua, with over 60,000 words; Neo, with 72,000 words; Esperanto, with 77,000 words; xuxuxi, with over 83,000 words; and of course Classical Yiklamu, with 91,591 words.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Lonmai Luna has now more than 3,000 entities, as counted by the system of CWS, however, there are many polysemies.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

The growth of Kankonian's lexicon is starting to slow down.

On April 2, 2011, Kankonian reached its 25,000th word (inmeho, fanfic).

On March 23, 2012, Kankonian notched its 30,000th word (hozos na thashe, box jelly).

On January 29, 2013, Kankonian attained its 35,000th word (pahworo, anemone/windflower).

On November 28, 2013, Kankonian marked its 40,000th word (biusa, vesicle).

On November 6, 2014, Kankonian celebrated its 45,000th word (wesperem, unknowable).

On November 5, 2015, Kankonian achieved its 50,000th word (ashpiarb, telambulance).

And now, on October 23, 2016, Kankonian has landed its 52,500th word (remethos, asociality).

I only accomplished half this year of what I accomplished the other years this decade, at least in terms of increasing the vocabulary of Kankonian. Part of it may be the other things I had to deal with this year, but it is likely that the lexicon of Kankonian is starting to stabilize as I find fewer and fewer concepts that don't have at least one (or don't have enough) Kankonian word(s) for them. Back in 2010, I could go over an essay I wrote and easily find 50 new Kankonian words. Now, most of the high-frequency English words, and most of their meanings and semantic space, are accounted for. Occasionally I'll still run into a surprising gap, though (it was only a few days ago I discovered my dictionary didn't have words for "to embroider", "fava bean" or "file extension"). Or maybe it's just that now that I've reached that humongous 50,000-word milestone, the thrill of reaching new milestones is not great enough for me to push myself to add 5,000 words a year.
♂♥♂♀

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Lonmai Luna and Urban Basanawa now have more than 4,500 entities as counted by CWS
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Khemehekis wrote:The growth of Kankonian's lexicon is starting to slow down. [snip] I only accomplished half this year of what I accomplished the other years this decade, at least in terms of increasing the vocabulary of Kankonian.
I feel your pain, girlfriend -- though obviously on a much smaller and slower scale.
it is likely that the lexicon of Kankonian is starting to stabilize as I find fewer and fewer concepts that don't have at least one (or don't have enough) Kankonian word(s) for them.
Yep.
Occasionally I'll still run into a surprising gap, though (it was only a few days ago I discovered my dictionary didn't have words for "to embroider", "fava bean" or "file extension").
"embroider" and "fava bean" would be nice entries to have; finding it rather hard to whip up enthusiasm for "file extension" (unless the need arose, and probs a compound which wouldn't add to the count anyway).
Or maybe it's just that now that I've reached that humongous 50,000-word milestone, the thrill of reaching new milestones is not great enough for me to push myself to add 5,000 words a year.
Total count for Géarthnuns is still low enough that any landmark would still be "Weeeee!". But 5,000 a year is an average of, like, 14 words a day! That's just never happening.

Keep on coinin', though! Your 52,500 is a soothing sparkly mobile hanging over my playpen. [:)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

k1234567890y wrote:Lonmai Luna and Urban Basanawa now have more than 4,500 entities as counted by CWS
So you have added around 1,500 words in less than three months? That's very much actually!

(I am mainly commenting because I know how hard it is too get attention to a four-digit milestone with Khemehekis around [xD] )

Yélian's word count is still stagnating, I was still not able to make it to 4,000. However, Caelian, Anto, Bath'aso and Paatherye are all rapidly increasing and will soon reach 1,000 words per language.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

k1234567890y wrote:Lonmai Luna and Urban Basanawa now have more than 4,500 entities as counted by CWS
Wow, k123467890y, they seem to be growing fast! You'll be up to the big five-O-O-O in no time!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Lao Kou wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:The growth of Kankonian's lexicon is starting to slow down. [snip] I only accomplished half this year of what I accomplished the other years this decade, at least in terms of increasing the vocabulary of Kankonian.
I feel your pain, girlfriend -- though obviously on a much smaller and slower scale.
Still going for 14,000 words, I know. BTW, your use of the word "girlfriend" was ironic, right?
"embroider" and "fava bean" would be nice entries to have; finding it rather hard to whip up enthusiasm for "file extension" (unless the need arose, and probs a compound which wouldn't add to the count anyway).
Compounds count as words, don't they? Glad to help you realize you needed "embroider" and "fava bean".
Or maybe it's just that now that I've reached that humongous 50,000-word milestone, the thrill of reaching new milestones is not great enough for me to push myself to add 5,000 words a year.
Total count for Géarthnuns is still low enough that any landmark would still be "Weeeee!". But 5,000 a year is an average of, like, 14 words a day! That's just never happening.
Ever tried translating a long essay you wrote? Translating many essays? That could increase your vocab fast.
Keep on coinin', though! Your 52,500 is a soothing sparkly mobile hanging over my playpen. [:)]
This is a great metaphor!
♂♥♂♀

Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Khemehekis wrote:your use of the word "girlfriend" was ironic, right?
Yes, just trying to be sassy <uses index finger to make a manual alphabet "z" in the air, then snaps fingers and adds a head-bob>.
Compounds count as words, don't they?
Sure they do, but they may not count as new entries. On the English side, "file extension" would be entered under "file" and "extension"; if both entries already exist (perhaps "file" or "file cabinet" and "hair extension" were entered earlier), then the English count won't go up (though given the nature of Géarthnuns compounds, the Géarthnuns count goes up one). In contrast, a "fava bean" is a "broad bean" is a "horse bean" for which there is a word. On the English side, it will entered under "broad", "fava", "horse" and "bean". "Fava" is new, so the English count will increase by one. Meanwhile, "ögwazhöls" gets two new glosses, but has no impact count-wise. Result: I have absolutely no idea of how many "words" Géarthnuns actually has (though one surmises it's probably higher than entry count). But this way, with regard to lexicon compilation and collation, I sidestep the whole Angst-ridden philosophical question of "What is a word?", and get to say the lexicon is adding in "depth".
Glad to help you realize you needed "embroider" and "fava bean".
Many thanks. [:)]
Ever tried translating a long essay you wrote? Translating many essays? That could increase your vocab fast.
Translation is great, though he is a coy and capricious buff loincloth-clad muse.
This is a great metaphor!
Aw, shucks. [:$]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Vrkhazhian has still yet to achieve 1k CWS dict entries.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Khemehekis wrote:
Wow, k123467890y, they seem to be growing fast! You'll be up to the big five-O-O-O in no time!
yes lol

btw, Lonmai Luna now has more than 5,000 entities as counted by CWS.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

k1234567890y wrote: btw, Lonmai Luna now has more than 5,000 entities as counted by CWS.
[Throws hat in the air]

Woo-hoo!

(Now, my heart knows me better than I know myself, so I'm going to let it do all the talking . . .)
♂♥♂♀

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Khemehekis wrote:
k1234567890y wrote: btw, Lonmai Luna now has more than 5,000 entities as counted by CWS.
[Throws hat in the air]

Woo-hoo!

(Now, my heart knows me better than I know myself, so I'm going to let it do all the talking . . .)
thank you (:

Urban Basanawa may also have more than 5,000 entities as counted by CWS, and probably the number of vocabulary in Urban Basanawa will surpass that of Lonmai Luna.