Anerite (3rd go)

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Shemtov
runic
runic

Anerite (3rd go)

Post by Shemtov »

This is the 3rd go at an IE-conlang called Anerite.
Anerite is the language spoken by the descendants of an IE tribe, who settled in what is now Turkey and Syria, Near Ugarit. They were heavily influenced by the Semitic languages.
The Kingdom of Aner was absorbed into the (in succession) the Babylonian, the Persian and the Hellenic empires. During the Persian period, Jews settled there, influencing the Anerites linguistically, and religously- most converted to a religion called Anerite Noahidism.
A small group of them- around 80,000- survive today in Turkey and Syria, though most o the latter country's community participated in a mass exodus to America and then to Israel, because of they were being mistreated by the Syrian Government.
Consonants:
/m n/ <m n>
/p pʰ b t tʰ d tˤ tˤʰ k g q/ <p ph b t th d ṭ ṭh k g q>
/f s ʃ ħ/ < v s sh h>
/r/ <r>
/l/ <l>
/j/ <y>

Vowels:
a e i o u ə <a e i o u ë>

Changes from PIE:
The palatal series folded into the velar series, voiced aspirated stops unvoiced, labiovelars became Labials, but w>v>f. A schwa was inserted into initial clusters, and Alveolar Obstruents were Pharyngealized and Velars turned into uvalars and unvoiced before Back vowels, which became fronted and unrounded . However, later borrowings preserved the t/tˤ s/sˤ distinction Also, s>ʃ word finally, though the distinction was made in some POAs by borrowing.
The laryngeals Fused into /ħ/ under Semitic influence.
Diphthongs of Back vowel +/j/ became fronted.

PIE bʰréh₂tēr >pʰərter 'Phërter' "Brother" (Laryngeals were lost syllable-finally)
oynos>enoʃ 'enosh' "One"
duwo>tˤivo 'ṭivo' "2"
treyes>treʃ>təreʃ 'tëresh' "3"
kwetwores>p>potˤerʃ 'Poṭorsh' "four"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien