Conlang word easter eggs?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2705
Joined: 10 Nov 2012 20:52
Location: California

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by Dormouse559 »

rainbowcult wrote: 16 Oct 2020 23:13If you're about to be offended over that, don't. It's a joke.
Hi rainbowcult, just a reminder that in the House Rules we ask that users not post things they know will offend others. This extends to jokes.
User avatar
jimydog000
sinic
sinic
Posts: 338
Joined: 19 Mar 2016 04:14
Location: Australian Country

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by jimydog000 »

Spoiler:
rainbowcult wrote: 16 Oct 2020 23:13 Also in that map is strat, an stupid or rude person, which is related to both Trump (more distantly) and "straight." If you're about to be offended over that, don't. It's a joke.
Well now that you point out that I could be offended by that, I might be, so thanks for that. Maybe I'll do the same thing to a minority I don't belong to and get a lot of angry tweets from SJWs.
In one of my conlangs bilmuri means god, from Bill Murry. dami means queen from Dami Im. And I think I made the word covefe into some rude word, but I can't remember what.
Khemehekis
runic
runic
Posts: 2474
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 09:36
Location: California über alles

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by Khemehekis »

jimydog000 wrote: 17 Oct 2020 05:28 In one of my conlangs bilmuri means god, from Bill Murry. dami means queen from Dami Im. And I think I made the word covefe into some rude word, but I can't remember what.
You mean "covfefe"?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 66,666 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
User avatar
jimydog000
sinic
sinic
Posts: 338
Joined: 19 Mar 2016 04:14
Location: Australian Country

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by jimydog000 »

Khemehekis wrote: 17 Oct 2020 05:59 You mean "covfefe"?
I meant I made that into covefe because of phonotactics.
Khemehekis
runic
runic
Posts: 2474
Joined: 14 Aug 2010 09:36
Location: California über alles

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by Khemehekis »

jimydog000 wrote: 17 Oct 2020 06:42 I meant I made that into covefe because of phonotactics.
Oh, OK. /vf/ is a rather odd cluster, anyway.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 66,666 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
GoshDiggityDangit
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 175
Joined: 18 Dec 2018 21:27
Location: Misawa AFB, Aomori, Japan
Contact:

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by GoshDiggityDangit »

I know I posted this in the discord, but in P.I.P, the word for boring and useless is *āwān₂as₂. The word comes from the Christian youth organization Awanas.
Disregard anything said above; I know nothing.
Conworkshop: https://conworkshop.com/view_profile.php?m=S2821536908
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan
Posts: 1740
Joined: 25 May 2014 14:17

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by Iyionaku »

jimydog000 wrote: 17 Oct 2020 05:28
Spoiler:
rainbowcult wrote: 16 Oct 2020 23:13 Also in that map is strat, an stupid or rude person, which is related to both Trump (more distantly) and "straight." If you're about to be offended over that, don't. It's a joke.
Well now that you point out that I could be offended by that, I might be, so thanks for that. Maybe I'll do the same thing to a minority I don't belong to and get a lot of angry tweets from SJWs.
I personally think that of course, everyone can design their conlang as they please, especially if it's a perslang. Then, I think there is a gigantic difference in making fun of a mighty, wealthy politician for their actions vs. making fun of a minority for their existence, but you do you.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
User avatar
Vlürch
sinic
sinic
Posts: 337
Joined: 09 Mar 2016 21:19
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by Vlürch »

The word for "horizon" in Ulduga is 畕天 (terunuma), which does have an etymology (edge + sky) but is also a very blatant reference to the name of a certain Japanese porn star/musician/artist. Of course, there are other people with the name, but it's the obligatory reference to an attractive woman I include in all of my conlangs if I keep working on said conlangs long enough.

In Phenglộl, the words for "dark grey" and "light grey" (dhìr and dhír respectively) are references to Dir en grey, one of the best bands in the entire history of music and the only arguments about a band better than them would be ones involving the Beatles and even then I'd say it's a tie. Pretty sure there were other references to things, too, but I don't remember anymore.

In Jinqaṣyavri, there's сталӥн meaning "hero" because the conpeople are esoteric Stalinists. It's not really an easter egg, though, just a joke.

In Nemin, there's гумран meaning "precipice", a reference to Qumran because it's a place with lots of cliffs. There are some other words that could be called "references" to stuff, too, but most of the words have Chinese-derived etymologies and those were just coincidences that turned out very loosely fitting or whatever. I guess there may have been some that were intentional references/easter eggs, but I don't remember.

In Haerogelos, chav meaning "youth" is obviously from English chav and profit is from prophet, but the latter is meant to be an English loanword and it's only the spelling that's meant to be funny... but it's probably not funny to anyone since it's a joke that's been done to death. There's another reference to the same porn star/musician/artist as in Ulduga but not nearly as in-your-face, too, in the words fan and fasar meaning "beauty" and "attractive person" respectively. Also, av meaning "to have sex" is from, well, AV. There are a few other references, too, but...
Iyionaku wrote: 17 Oct 2020 10:34I think there is a gigantic difference in making fun of a mighty, wealthy politician for their actions vs. making fun of a minority for their existence, but you do you.
I thought the offensive part was the thing about a word derived from "straight" meaning "stupid or rude person", presumably being a reference to heterosexual people, not the Trump thing.

Considering the vast majority of people are stupid and rude, and also the vast majority of people are straight, statistically it's true... and at least I'm a rude straight person* so getting offended by something that's true is... well... I guess sometimes insults that are true do hurt the most if we're in denial about something, so I guess it makes sense. I guess straight people who're not rude might be sensibly offended by it, too?

*Because apparently bisexuals aren't LGBT anymore... and I am statistically attracted to more women than men, and not into beefbears, so I may as well be 100% straight.

But yeah, I don't think it's the same as if it was a word derived from eg. gay that meant "stupid or rude person" since homosexuals are a minority and heterosexuality is the norm. Maybe in the future there will be just as many homosexuals as heterosexuals (and as many transgender people as cisgender people) and it'll be seen as just as much the norm, but that's a pretty distant future even in the most progressive societies.

Comparing all straight people to Trump could well be offensive, though, I think...🤔 But eh, I'd be more offended by strat having negative connotations because strats are not bad guitars, even if some would swear on their lives that they suck and would never play a single riff on one.
User avatar
Dormouse559
moderator
moderator
Posts: 2705
Joined: 10 Nov 2012 20:52
Location: California

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by Dormouse559 »

jimydog000 wrote: 17 Oct 2020 05:28
Spoiler:
rainbowcult wrote: 16 Oct 2020 23:13 Also in that map is strat, an stupid or rude person, which is related to both Trump (more distantly) and "straight." If you're about to be offended over that, don't. It's a joke.
Well now that you point out that I could be offended by that, I might be, so thanks for that. Maybe I'll do the same thing to a minority I don't belong to and get a lot of angry tweets from SJWs.
Iyionaku wrote: 17 Oct 2020 10:34
Spoiler:
jimydog000 wrote: 17 Oct 2020 05:28
Spoiler:
rainbowcult wrote: 16 Oct 2020 23:13 Also in that map is strat, an stupid or rude person, which is related to both Trump (more distantly) and "straight." If you're about to be offended over that, don't. It's a joke.
Well now that you point out that I could be offended by that, I might be, so thanks for that. Maybe I'll do the same thing to a minority I don't belong to and get a lot of angry tweets from SJWs.
I personally think that of course, everyone can design their conlang as they please, especially if it's a perslang. Then, I think there is a gigantic difference in making fun of a mighty, wealthy politician for their actions vs. making fun of a minority for their existence, but you do you.
Vlürch wrote: 17 Oct 2020 16:46
Spoiler:
Iyionaku wrote: 17 Oct 2020 10:34I think there is a gigantic difference in making fun of a mighty, wealthy politician for their actions vs. making fun of a minority for their existence, but you do you.
I thought the offensive part was the thing about a word derived from "straight" meaning "stupid or rude person", presumably being a reference to heterosexual people, not the Trump thing.

Considering the vast majority of people are stupid and rude, and also the vast majority of people are straight, statistically it's true... and at least I'm a rude straight person* so getting offended by something that's true is... well... I guess sometimes insults that are true do hurt the most if we're in denial about something, so I guess it makes sense. I guess straight people who're not rude might be sensibly offended by it, too?

*Because apparently bisexuals aren't LGBT anymore... and I am statistically attracted to more women than men, and not into beefbears, so I may as well be 100% straight.

But yeah, I don't think it's the same as if it was a word derived from eg. gay that meant "stupid or rude person" since homosexuals are a minority and heterosexuality is the norm. Maybe in the future there will be just as many homosexuals as heterosexuals (and as many transgender people as cisgender people) and it'll be seen as just as much the norm, but that's a pretty distant future even in the most progressive societies.

Comparing all straight people to Trump could well be offensive, though, I think...🤔 But eh, I'd be more offended by strat having negative connotations because strats are not bad guitars, even if some would swear on their lives that they suck and would never play a single riff on one.
A reminder not to engage with a post that has been noted (in this case by both the OP and a mod) as likely to offend. Doing so just increases the chances of a flame war.
User avatar
rainbowcult
rupestrian
rupestrian
Posts: 24
Joined: 31 Aug 2020 02:22

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by rainbowcult »

Dormouse559 wrote: 17 Oct 2020 05:06
rainbowcult wrote: 16 Oct 2020 23:13If you're about to be offended over that, don't. It's a joke.
Hi rainbowcult, just a reminder that in the House Rules we ask that users not post things they know will offend others. This extends to jokes.
Oh, sorry
♂♥♂♀
User avatar
elemtilas
runic
runic
Posts: 2683
Joined: 22 Nov 2014 04:48

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by elemtilas »

rainbowcult wrote: 17 Oct 2020 20:32
Dormouse559 wrote: 17 Oct 2020 05:06
rainbowcult wrote: 16 Oct 2020 23:13If you're about to be offended over that, don't. It's a joke.
Hi rainbowcult, just a reminder that in the House Rules we ask that users not post things they know will offend others. This extends to jokes.
Oh, sorry
No worries! Pretty much topics of real life religion, real life politics, your sex life. Basic stuff that can be considered needlessly inflammatory (or needlessly tmi) by folks in the forum. Somewhere around there is a thread where you can mention these things about yourself (I think it's called "About You" or something). Try to keep that kind of stuff there, please!
User avatar
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek
Posts: 523
Joined: 15 Feb 2016 06:10
Location: Northern California

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Well, so...back to the topic [:D]

The Dákrā Sea is named after my childhood mishearing of "aristocracy" as the name of a body of water: the Eris Dakra Sea. lol. There's nothing particularly aristocratic about this body of water, but that is its name nonetheless.
Post Reply