Kala changes/new words

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
masako
mayan
mayan

Kala changes/new words

Post by masako »

In this thread I will chronicle changes to Kala lexicon and grammar. These are ongoing and recent changes.

kyolo >> kiyo - be fast; quick(ly); rapid(ity) / The "abbreviation"/particle kyo is still used as the emphatic "Quickly/Hurry!"

The "epigraphic" version of Omyatloko will no longer be used and is for archive purposes only. Only the "handwritten" version will be used from on, and ideo/logographs will be converted in the coming months.

Stay tuned for updates.
g

o

n

e
masako
mayan
mayan

Re: Kala changes/new words

Post by masako »

ma'a - with [accompanied by / furnished with] will now be "be together with", "to accompany"

ma will be used for the preposition "with" in addition to its current meaning "and; also; too; as well"
g

o

n

e
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

tsua / -tsua /t͡ʃʷɑ/ - almost; nearly; more or less

will now be:

tsu'a / tsua / -tsua /t͡ʃuːʔa~t͡ʃʷɑ/ - almost; more-or-less; so-so; meh; to be average; neither good nor bad
g

o

n

e
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

I have updated some vocabulary and altered the Kala calendar (more on this in subsequent posts). It now recognizes the six ecological seasons rather than the basic four.

tseku – early spring (prevernal) – Begins February (mild temperate), to March (cool temperate).
kueta – spring (vernal) – Begins mid March (mild temperate), to late April (cool temperate).
natsu – summer (estival) – Begins June in most temperate climates.
nkosa – late summer (serotinal) – Generally begins mid to late August.
aki – autumn; fall (autumnal) – Generally begins mid to late September.
neku – winter (hibernal) – Begins December (mild temperate), November (cool temperate).

Additionally, the word for “season” is now myeta (formerly muasa) with the prefix mye- being used for constructions like myepana “rainy season; monsoon”, or myetlolo “temperate season”.
g

o

n

e
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Some new vocabulary:

anye - waist; lower back
ike - gene; character; property; quality
kanki - flu; influenza
uto - organ (of body)
yanki - be refreshed; perk up
g

o

n

e
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Been messing around with the idea of different diacritics for the endings –m (or -lo (indicating general plural), -n (indicating adverbial or adjectival use), and –k (or -nke) (indicating negative mood). These endings all are word final and thus far I've been using a mark to indicate a lack of vowel as Moya is an abugida with inherent /a/.

Let me know what you think.
g

o

n

e
Backstroke_Italics
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Backstroke_Italics »

Are these based on the letters m, n, and k? It's hard to be sure. I think aesthetically it might look nicer/more naturalistic if they weren't the same shape flipped or rotated. The abbreviated k, for example, might be more angular like k itself. But I like the idea. It gives a historical depth to the writing system.
I did it. I made the world's worst book blog.
Allekanger
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Allekanger »

Gor for it! [:)] I like when scripts get a few shorthand solutions for common features. I do, however, think that the negative mood -k/-nke character could be distinct from the others. I like the C-shape design of the diacritic you've presented. The plural and the adverbial are mirrored, so I think that could work, but I feel like the negative could be miswritten as one of the others in hasty pen strokes. I don't know Kala grammatically, so I can't say whether this would actually be a problem when reading though. Perhaps the word class of the main word determines the possible endings and it can't be misinterpreted/confusing?

I really like Moya in general though, it's very pretty!
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Here's what I came up with based on your suggestions.

I quite like it.
g

o

n

e