sinic
sinic

Re: Random phonology/phonemic inventory thread

Post by jimydog000 »

Vlürch wrote: 12 Sep 2020 01:42
jimydog000 wrote: 11 Sep 2020 13:11
Vlürch wrote: 11 Sep 2020 08:36 ...ɔæ̯]
[+1]
If you meant that sarcastically, I figured that even though the required sound changes would've been pretty wacky, they'd be realistic enough:
[r] -> [ʀ] -> [ʁ] -> [ʕ] -> [æ̯] after back vowels, and for whatever reason not going farther than [ʀ] in onsets
[r] -> [ɾ] -> [ɹ] -> [ɹ̝] -> [ʒ] after front vowels, and for whatever reason not going farther than [ɹ] in onsets
The rationale behind the allophones going in different directions was vowels having had a gradual lenitive effect on them, but them not having had an effect on vowels for whatever reason. I know the opposite is more likely, but well.

Anyway, apparently coda [ʁ] -> [æ̯] has actually happened in one Norwegian dialect so that should be fine. I thought coda /r/ being [ʒ] was a thing in some dialects of Portuguese, but apparently not. Oh well. I still think it's at least borderline naturalistic, though? Weeeell, it doesn't really matter anyway since it's just a random sketch phonology. [:P]
I like it, diphthongs that end in æ̯ are interesting, and diphthongs from diachronics are interesting too.
Vlürch
sinic
sinic

Post by Vlürch »

What if Basque and Arabic had a kitchen sink baby?

/m n̪ n̺ ɲ/ <m ṉ n ñ>
/b t̪ d̪ t̺ d̺ k g ʔ/ <b ṯ ḏ t d k g ʾ>
/t̪ˤ d̪ˤ/ <ṭ ḍ>
/t̪͡s̪ t̺͡s̺ t͡ʃ d͡ʒ/ <tz ts tx j>
/t̪͡s̪ˤ/ <ṭṣ>
/s̪ s̺ ʃ/ <z s x>
/s̪ˤ/ <ṣ>
/f j w x ɣ ħ ʕ h/ <f y w ḵ ḡ ḥ ʿ h>
/l̪ r̺ ʎ/ <l r ll>

/a e i o u/ <a e i o u>
/aː eː iː oː uː/ <ā ē ī ō ū>
jimydog000 wrote: 14 Oct 2020 11:24I like it, diphthongs that end in æ̯ are interesting
Mmh, there's something about them that's just... comfy?🤔
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

I quite like this inventory, but now I'm starting to see problems.

/m n/
/p t t͡ʃ t͡ɬ k/
/b d g/
/s ɬ x/
/z ɮ/
/l j ʋ

/i u/
/e o/
/a/

I've been told it is unusual to have /l/, /ɬ/ and /ɮ/ in the same language, and that does seem to be the case with the natlangs I've perused.

The syllable structure is CVC, btw.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

LinguoFranco wrote: 24 Oct 2020 04:52 I've been told it is unusual to have /l/, /ɬ/ and /ɮ/ in the same language, and that does seem to be the case with the natlangs I've perused.
While this is true, that doesn't mean it's impossible. I did a quick search on Wikipedia and found, for example, a Chadic language spoken in northeastern Nigeria, Tera, which is described as contrasting /l/, /ɬ/, and /ɮ/.