Hohétyé - Hooti qyà an

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: Hohétyé - Hooti qyà an

Post by Creyeditor »

Thank you a lot [:)] The relative clause generally goes before the noun. Interesting, I missed that before. Definitely gives the syntax some Eurasian feeling.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Davush
greek
greek

Post by Davush »

I'm also enjoying this! Although I did not get the impression of African languages. My first thought was that it reminded me of some Latin American languages. I particularly like the evidentiality distinction in the past.
this_is_an_account
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by this_is_an_account »

Nominalization
There are two nominalizers, -ti and -ta. The former is a lexical nominalizer. The verbs it modifies are treated exactly the same as a noun would be. It can form agent and action nouns.

Éréma kôtyà moityi.
"I want to eat."

Code: Select all

ére -ma      kôtyà moi-ti
want-PST.VIS 1SG   eat-NMZ
Xàákà nyàcoti monmam.
"The one who saw will tell us.

xàa-kà       nyàcu-ti  mon=mam
say-NPST.IRR see  -NMZ LOC=1PL
The -ta suffix is a clausal nominalizer. While it is affixed to the verb, it affects the whole clause. The verb cannot take any tense, mood, or evidentiality markers when it has this suffix. This nominalizer is used in relative and complement clauses.

Éréma kôtyà mon'yati seâqyota.
"I want to live by the ocean."

ére -ma      kôtyà [mon=yati  seâqyi-ta ]
want-PST.VIS 1SG   [LOC=ocean reside-NMZ]
This nominalizer can also be used on the main clause to express the speaker's stance, usually their suprise.

Poheta pànyà rompa!
"How beautiful the woman is!"

pohe-ta  pànyà rompa
COP -NMZ woman beautiful
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

That looks neat [:)] I have some small questions.
  • Why does nyàcoti mean 'the one who saw' and not 'seer'? Is there a way to predict the tense of the nominalized verb?
  • Can clausal nominalizations with -ta include subjects/two argument, e.g. 'my destruction of the city? Can it include adverbs?
  • Does the surprise nominalizer -ta always go on the copula or can it go with any verb?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
this_is_an_account
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by this_is_an_account »

Creyeditor wrote: 24 Dec 2020 00:18 That looks neat [:)] I have some small questions.
  • Why does nyàcoti mean 'the one who saw' and not 'seer'? Is there a way to predict the tense of the nominalized verb?
  • Can clausal nominalizations with -ta include subjects/two argument, e.g. 'my destruction of the city? Can it include adverbs?
  • Does the surprise nominalizer -ta always go on the copula or can it go with any verb?
  • I think it will be able to mean either. This marker doesn't give additional meaning to a root like in English 'seer.'
  • Yes it can to both.
  • It can go on any verb.