The worst sounding natlang ever

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
nmn
sinic
sinic
Posts: 414
Joined: 11 Apr 2012 14:58

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by nmn »

Slurred languages don't really like I. Yet Norwegian study I. Oh the irony.
User avatar
Aevas
admin
admin
Posts: 1428
Joined: 11 May 2010 05:46
Location: ꜱᴇ

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Aevas »

nmn wrote:Slurred languages
:wat:

On topic: I don't like the sound of Polish, Turkish, Arabic and Persian, off the top of my head. I don't really dislike the sound of Finnish, but it sounds really silly [>_<]
arilando
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 137
Joined: 28 May 2012 00:38

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by arilando »

Ossicone wrote:I think the silliest bits of English are the damn /eɪ/ and /oʊ/.

Except for a southern (american) accent sounds god awful.
Why?
arilando
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 137
Joined: 28 May 2012 00:38

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by arilando »

Xing wrote:
Chagen wrote:Dude, that was back when I was an idiot and knew jack-shit about linguistics.

Once I started learning linguistics, I had a change of heart and took on my current "All languages are equal" viewpoint.
"All languages are equal" can mean different things. It can mean that all languages are capable of expressing the same kind of information. This is a scientific fact.
That's not true, not all language can express the range of numerals english ca, some dont have higer numerals than 3.
User avatar
Click
runic
runic
Posts: 2780
Joined: 21 Jan 2012 12:17

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Click »

From the Admin: House Rule Change

► House Rule 5 has been updated with the following passage:

The same goes for making extraordinary or controversial claims without backing them up with evidence or proper arguentation. Repeatedly making such claims, without providing either evidence or argumentation to defend your claim, will be regarded as trolling.
Xing wrote:
Chagen wrote:Dude, that was back when I was an idiot and knew jack-shit about linguistics.

Once I started learning linguistics, I had a change of heart and took on my current "All languages are equal" viewpoint.
"All languages are equal" can mean different things. It can mean that all languages are capable of expressing the same kind of information. This is a scientific fact.
User avatar
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin
Posts: 2908
Joined: 12 Aug 2010 05:20
Location: I've heard it both ways.
Contact:

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Ossicone »

arilando wrote:
Ossicone wrote:I think the silliest bits of English are the damn /eɪ/ and /oʊ/.

Except for a southern (american) accent sounds god awful.
Why?
Because it's personal aesthetic opinion. That's the whole point of this thread.

-----

@2-4: Please do not try to play moderator. If you feel a post is in breach of a rule you can report it using the [!] in the lower right hand corner. Or you can simply ask the poster to explain themselves.
Edit: This means that you should notify people if you think they are breaking rules, but slamming the rules at someone is not the best way to do so.
User avatar
Testyal
roman
roman
Posts: 955
Joined: 12 Aug 2010 19:47
Location: England

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Testyal »

Omzinesý wrote:I could claim that most Finns would name Finnish the worst sounding native language. They would mention a very beautiful word like my signature. But all languages can by esed beutifully or ugly.
Just quoting something from the past here. I've watched a few episodes of a Finnish cartoon, and I find the language very amusing.

To me, it sounds something like Italian, only with sexier words.

'Jumalauta' will always be awesome.
:deu: :fra: :zho: :epo:
nmn
sinic
sinic
Posts: 414
Joined: 11 Apr 2012 14:58

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by nmn »

testyal1 wrote:
Omzinesý wrote:I could claim that most Finns would name Finnish the worst sounding native language. They would mention a very beautiful word like my signature. But all languages can by esed beutifully or ugly.
Just quoting something from the past here. I've watched a few episodes of a Finnish cartoon, and I find the language very amusing.

To me, it sounds something like Italian, only with sexier words.

'Jumalauta' will always be awesome.
Than 'kahdeksan' a word more awesome will hardly find you.
User avatar
CrazyEttin
sinic
sinic
Posts: 435
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 19:43

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by CrazyEttin »

testyal1 wrote:
Omzinesý wrote:I could claim that most Finns would name Finnish the worst sounding native language. They would mention a very beautiful word like my signature. But all languages can by esed beutifully or ugly.
Just quoting something from the past here. I've watched a few episodes of a Finnish cartoon, and I find the language very amusing.

To me, it sounds something like Italian, only with sexier words.

'Jumalauta' will always be awesome.
It's interesting how every time people mention an example word in Finnish, it's a curse word.

Perkele.
User avatar
Xonen
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1072
Joined: 16 May 2010 00:25

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Xonen »

Ossicone wrote:@2-4: Please do not try to play moderator. If you feel a post is in breach of a rule you can report it using the [!] in the lower right hand corner. Or you can simply ask the poster to explain themselves.
Edit: This means that you should notify people if you think they are breaking rules, but slamming the rules at someone is not the best way to do so.
Discussed the question with Aszev; some extra clarification has been posted in the News Thread.
User avatar
Xonen
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1072
Joined: 16 May 2010 00:25

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Xonen »

CrazyEttin wrote:It's interesting how every time people mention an example word in Finnish, it's a curse word.

Perkele.
That's because we have the best curse words there are. Perkele.

Also, ravintolassa, goddammit!
User avatar
Click
runic
runic
Posts: 2780
Joined: 21 Jan 2012 12:17

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Click »

Ossicone wrote:
@2-4: Please do not try to play moderator. If you feel a post is in breach of a rule you can report it using the [!] in the lower right hand corner. Or you can simply ask the poster to explain themselves.
Edit: This means that you should notify people if you think they are breaking rules, but slamming the rules at someone is not the best way to do so.
Point taken. Won't do this anymore. [:)]
User avatar
Chagen
runic
runic
Posts: 3341
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 05:14
Location: Texas

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Chagen »

zelos wrote:
Chagen wrote:I'm surprised at the sheer amount of Japanese hate in this thread.

Maybe it's because I'm an anime fan, but I don't see a problem with it.
My reason was stated :P It sounds like a broken record due to its CV structure.
I seriously implore you to listen to this and this and tell me that Japanese sounds like a "broken record".

Because if you still do, then there's something wrong with your ears. Japanese is one of the best sounding languages out there.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
User avatar
Ceresz
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2237
Joined: 16 Oct 2010 02:14
Location: North
Contact:

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Ceresz »

If all languages are equal, how can Japanese be one of the best sounding languages out there?
User avatar
Chagen
runic
runic
Posts: 3341
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 05:14
Location: Texas

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Chagen »

I have no problem with positive opinions on a language. I have a problem with negative opinions on languages.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
User avatar
Ceresz
mayan
mayan
Posts: 2237
Joined: 16 Oct 2010 02:14
Location: North
Contact:

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Ceresz »

Okay. So you don't think any language sounds bad, you just think some sound better than others. That doesn't mean you like them equally when it comes to how they sound, though. I guess that's cleared up now.
User avatar
Chagen
runic
runic
Posts: 3341
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 05:14
Location: Texas

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Chagen »

It's more that I don't think any language sounds bad out of respect for its native speakers. Plus, I still think that not liking a language is one step from racism (sue me if you want, a ton of racists also hate the language of those they hate).
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic
Posts: 2540
Joined: 13 Aug 2010 18:57
Contact:

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Chagen wrote:It's more that I don't think any language sounds bad out of respect for its native speakers. Plus, I still think that not liking a language is one step from racism (sue me if you want, a ton of racists also hate the language of those they hate).
Sorry, what? I mean, are you serious?
User avatar
Chagen
runic
runic
Posts: 3341
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 05:14
Location: Texas

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Chagen »

"I hate the sound of Chinese" ---> "I hate people who speak Chinese."

Not that far of a stretch.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic
Posts: 2540
Joined: 13 Aug 2010 18:57
Contact:

Re: The worst sounding natlang ever

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Chagen wrote:"I hate the sound of Chinese" ---> "I hate people who speak Chinese."

Not that far of a stretch.
That's like saying "you don't care for Thai food? Obviously you hate Thais! Racist!"
Post Reply