(L&N) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here [2010-2019]

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Dormouse559

Re: (L&N) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Dormouse559 »

Something irrelevant that stood out to me:
The New Yorker wrote:the quietly aloof Quijada stuck out like an umlaut in English. …

coördinates … reëstablishment
Sumelic
greek
greek

Post by Sumelic »

Dormouse559 wrote:
Something irrelevant that stood out to me:
The New Yorker wrote:the quietly aloof Quijada stuck out like an umlaut in English. …

coördinates … reëstablishment
Those are diereses. There are examples of umlaut in that article, though, such as "men."

It's interesting to see that the New Yorker doesn't have ļ, ř, ţ in its usual font, but rather than transcribing all of the Ithkuil passages in a substitute font, they only replace those three letters. It's better than just dropping the diacritics, but it doesn't look very good.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Sumelic wrote: Those are diereses. There are examples of umlaut in that article, though, such as "men."

It's interesting to see that the New Yorker doesn't have ļ, ř, ţ in its usual font, but rather than transcribing all of the Ithkuil passages in a substitute font, they only replace those three letters. It's better than just dropping the diacritics, but it doesn't look very good.

Oh! Oh! Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while! Is there a list of IPA friendly fonts? (Or at least semiticist friendly ones? with ž, š, č and so on.)
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Sumelic wrote:Those are diereses.
Also commonly known as "umlauts" because of their association with Germanic umlaut (see "metal umlaut" or just the diaeresis Wikipedia page). I can almost guarantee you that the reporter is using the diacritic meaning.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

A little late, but...
HoskhMatriarch wrote:If Suzhou Chinese sounds like this then I find that to be a lot nicer-sounding than most Chinese dialects I've heard (which pretty much = Mandarin and Cantonese, although I might have heard Shanghainese or Taiwanese a couple of times).
The old adage is that it's more pleasant to listen to two beggars fighting over a piece of discarded fish in Suzhou dialect than it is to listen to two lovers bill and coo in Cantonese. While I do like the Wu dialects, I don't find Suzhou dialect to be significantly more mellifluous than Shanghainese (a personal fave). I do think Cantonese gets a bum rap; Taiwanese is by far my least favorite on the aurally aesthetic side.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Lao Kou wrote:A little late, but...
HoskhMatriarch wrote:If Suzhou Chinese sounds like this then I find that to be a lot nicer-sounding than most Chinese dialects I've heard (which pretty much = Mandarin and Cantonese, although I might have heard Shanghainese or Taiwanese a couple of times).
The old adage is that it's more pleasant to listen to two beggars fighting over a piece of discarded fish in Suzhou dialect than it is to listen to two lovers bill and coo in Cantonese.
Then again, it tends to be more pleasant to listen to nails on chalkboard than to two lovers bill and coo in any language, so that's not saying much. [¬.¬] Of course, not understanding what they're saying might help.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Xonen wrote:Then again, it tends to be more pleasant to listen to nails on chalkboard than to two lovers bill and coo in any language, so that's not saying much. [¬.¬]
A wee bit cynical, that. [;)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

Is it possible for a language to be tense- and mood-prominent? Tense- and mood-prominent languages seemed to be characterized pretty oppositely from the snippets I read in that one book but it doesn't seem like it's impossible to me for a language to prominently mark both.
Xonen wrote: Then again, it tends to be more pleasant to listen to nails on chalkboard than to two lovers bill and coo in any language, so that's not saying much. [¬.¬] Of course, not understanding what they're saying might help.
Have you even heard romantic (not to be confused with Romantic although there is frequently overlap) poetry? But then, that's not two lovers cooing, just one lover cooing.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:Is it possible for a language to be tense- and mood-prominent? Tense- and mood-prominent languages seemed to be characterized pretty oppositely from the snippets I read in that one book but it doesn't seem like it's impossible to me for a language to prominently mark both.
then yes, it is very possible.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Aleks
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Aleks »

Why is it that English has the /eɪ/ diphtong yet we have the /ɛ/ vowel and not /e/?
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Aleks wrote:Why is it that English has the /eɪ/ diphtong yet we have the /ɛ/ vowel and not /e/?
Because weird stuff happens. [;)]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Sumelic wrote:The symbol /o/ is not used by itself in the most common phonemic transcriptions of English. It's used to transcribe the first element of the "goat" diphthong /oʊ/ in General American (in British English, this vowel is usually fronted, so it's transcribed /əʊ/ instead). When transcribing North American English, some people treat the diphthongization of "goat" and "face" as a secondary detail and just transcribe them using /o/ and /e/.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Aleks wrote:Why is it that English has the /eɪ/ diphtong yet we have the /ɛ/ vowel and not /e/?
/eː/ diphthongized to /eɪ̯/.

(Also, for some people, such as me, /eɪ̯/ is phonetically [ɛɪ̯])
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Isfendil wrote:
Sumelic wrote: Those are diereses. There are examples of umlaut in that article, though, such as "men."

Oh! Oh! Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while! Is there a list of IPA friendly fonts? (Or at least semiticist friendly ones? with ž, š, č and so on.)

I believe that this got buried, or people are ignoring it.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Isfendil wrote:
Isfendil wrote:

Buried it got. I am fairly certain Segoe UI, Cambria, Calibri, Arial, Times New Roman and Tahoma support IPA fully, and most likely all those diacritics too.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

Well, I consider English to have /e/ and /ɛ/, since [eɪ] never contrasts with [eː]. /e/ also seems to have a decent number of allophones besides [eɪ] but always including something like [e] or [ɛ]. The same is true for /o/ as well. On the other hand, some languages actually do have contrastive /eɪ/ and /e/ or /eː/.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

loglorn wrote:
Isfendil wrote:
Isfendil wrote:

Buried it got. I am fairly certain Segoe UI, Cambria, Calibri, Arial, Times New Roman and Tahoma support IPA fully, and most likely all those diacritics too.
Thank you!
Aleks
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Aleks »

Different question but I am wondering about the origin of German using <eu> and <ei> to represent the diphtongs they represent. Why not <ai> instead of <ei>?
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Aleks wrote:Different question but I am wondering about the origin of German using <eu> and <ei> to represent the diphtongs they represent. Why not <ai> instead of <ei>?
From what I can tell, it's a historical spelling. Some instances of /aɪ/ come from /ei/, which was spelt <ei> and some instances of /ɔʏ/ come from /eu/, written <eu>. Later instances of /aɪ/ come from /i:/, and likewise later instances of /ɔʏ/ come from /y:/ (maybe? I'm a little uncertain on this one), but there was no orthographic pressure to adopt, say, <ai> over <ei> (in the sense that there was no /ai/ <ei> for /ei/ <ei> to merge into), so <ei> stuck around for /aɪ/ < /ei/ and this spelling convention was adopted in turn for /aɪ/ < /i:/.

That's about it as for as I can tell. Old diphthong shifted, but nothing caused any pressure for the spelling to change and that spelling was adopted to represent diphthongs arising from another sound shift.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

I'm not sure how quick of a question this will be, but could someone briefly explain how tenses and aspects work in a general fashion, and then give a few examples? I think I probably struggle so much with this as I only know minimal linguistics jargon.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner