Project: Yucca Mountain Warning Sign

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Project: Yucca Mountain Warning Sign

Post by Ilaeriu »

Original planning thread here.

the project
This is a little project to translate the proposed Yucca Mountain warning sign into as many conlangs as possible, and then to compile the result into one sign.

Apparently, the Yucca Mountain is a repository for nuclear waste, and the US government has been brainstorming of ways to make a sign that will warn humans millennia from ever going near the place due to the harmful radiation. More information can be found in this article.

the text
:eng: English
This place is a message… and part of a system of messages… pay attention to it!
Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.

What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location… it increases toward a center… the center of danger is here… of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.
This text is chosen because it contains very few notions specific to one species or culture (e.g. names, body parts, dates, observances, terrain features, etc.) so it can be easily translated into our different conlangs, suiting our conworlds and concultures. It is also of a decent length, and finally it is the type of message that would be translated into as many languages as possible.

to clarify
  • Translate the above text into your conlang(s). Natlangs are great too!
  • You may write in a Latin script, but the use of conscripts and the like are encouraged.
  • If using a conscript, please inform us of the direction of writing so that left-right sentences will all be in one section, followed by right-left, up-down, etc.
  • If you are having trouble exactly translating the text, feel free to tweak the wording in some places. Understandably, the phrase "emanation of energy" may be hard for some langs; just write whatever will make your conpeople stay far away from the place. (For example, I am using "evil spirits" instead.)
  • Watch this space for anything else I may add.
:con: Aentoui (Atalinna Script)

:con: Aentoui (Featural Script)

(in order of proficiency from greatest to least)
Native :eng: | Fluent :tgl: | Learning :esp: · :kor: · :zho: · :qbc: | Want to learn :lat: · :jpn: · :ara:
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Re: Project: Yucca Mountain Warning Sign

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

:pol: Polish

To miejsce to wiadomość i część systemu wiadomości, zwróć na to uwagę.
Zostawienie tej wiadomości było dla nas ważne. Uznaliśmy, że jesteśmy potężną kulturą.
To miejsce to nie miejsce chwały. Nie został tu upamiętniony żaden wartościowy czyn.
To, co tu się znajduje, jest groźne i wstrętne dla nas. Ta wiadomość ostrzega przed niebezpieczeństwem.
Niebezpieczeństwo ma określone miejsce, narasta ku środkowi. Tu jest centrum niebezpieczeństwa, o określonej wielkości i kształcie, poniżej nas.
Zagrożenie jest nadal obecne w waszych czasach, jak było w naszych.
To miejsce zagraża ciału i może zabić.
Niebezpieczeństwo ma postać emanacji energii.
Niebezpieczeństwo zostanie uwolnione tylko, jeśli namacalnie naruszysz to miejsce. Najlepiej omijać to miejsce i zostawić je niezamieszkałe.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
SLiV
sinic
sinic

Post by SLiV »

I've been translating it to Lurioneski, but what exactly is meant by this?
of a particular size and shape
:nld: native | :eng: fluent | :deu: :fra: :esp: reading | :lat: :grc: translating
Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Post by Ilaeriu »

SLiV wrote:I've been translating it to Lurioneski, but what exactly is meant by this?
of a particular size and shape
I'm not sure myself, because you would think it is obvious that any object has a particular size and shape. I think they are trying to say the object is finite and static, as opposed to it having a changing size and shape.

Native :eng: | Fluent :tgl: | Learning :esp: · :kor: · :zho: · :qbc: | Want to learn :lat: · :jpn: · :ara:
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

I translated it as:
Tu jest centrum niebezpieczeństwa, o określonej wielkości i kształcie, poniżej nas.
Lit. Here is center of danger, having specified size and shape, below us.
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

I'm not sure myself, because you would think it is obvious that any object has a particular size and shape. I think they are trying to say the object is finite and static, as opposed to it having a changing size and shape.
Water hasn't particular shape. Fire hasn't particular size. Other "emanating energies" or "evil spirits" have no particular size nor shape, but the source/center of this one has.
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

So it means that it isn't a supernatural, but a real danger.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
SLiV
sinic
sinic

Post by SLiV »

So it's about it having only one size and shape? 'Cause that's much easier to translate than "particular".
:nld: native | :eng: fluent | :deu: :fra: :esp: reading | :lat: :grc: translating
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

SLiV wrote:So it's about it having only one size and shape? 'Cause that's much easier to translate than "particular".
What about "specific" or "detailed"?
SLiV
sinic
sinic

Post by SLiV »

But it isn't specified anywhere.
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Nuclear waste has concrete size and shape, hasn't it? And it's source of the emanation, isn't it?
SLiV
sinic
sinic

Post by SLiV »

Yes, but what size and shape it has, isn't specified. I guess it lies with my interpretation of the words "specified", "detailed" and "particular".
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I like this. Thanks for thinking of it.
Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Post by Ilaeriu »

Milyamd wrote:
Water hasn't particular shape. Fire hasn't particular size. Other "emanating energies" or "evil spirits" have no particular size nor shape, but the source/center of this one has.
Ahhh that makes sense. But my evil spirits do have a particular size and shape. They are not wispy apparitions but real beings.

eldin raigmore wrote:I like this. Thanks for thinking of it.
Wasn't my idea but Trailsend's, and zelos started the Rosetta Stone thread, so I was pretty much just the impatient guy who wanted to start something :D Thanks anyways!

SLiV
sinic
sinic

Post by SLiV »

Here's my translation of the Yucca Sign in Lurioneski.

Ἁδε мεнι ᴧοгυ… e ὁυπυ ᴧοгωc πрοнтου… ειδεcκειυcтε ιευδει!
Λeгειн ᴧοгεн ἁтιεн eмεнι нοιc мαгαрιε. Eοιοмα нοc мεнοнтιεc ᴧωεн κрαтιεн.
Ἁδε мεнι нε ἁδε αрιтου… рοιι ἁδει нιε ποιтα ᴧαυδεтαιοнтιε … мεнι ἁтει нε мεᴧᴧοтωнтιε.
Ἁтει мεнοнтε нοιc мεнι καιрιε e цεрπαтιε. Λοгυ ἁтιε мεнι ιευδοрυ καιрει.
Καιрυ εн ἁδει мεнι… мeгιтeрι αδнα нeрεн… нeрυ καιрου ἁтει мεнι… тιει мεгαнει ειδοικε, e ʙαᴧιцωн.
Καιрυ υπтα мειнι, εн οπнει cαтрου, e εн нωc.
Mεнι καιрυ cωмαтει e нουтι.
Ὁнυ καιрου мεнι εргου εκгεнοнтυ.
Καιрυ ααтυрοрεcι ει ἁδε ἁπтεтα. Ἁδε αнαδнαιтαι e нε οικιтαι.

Spoiler:
Place is word*... and part word.pl.gen group.gen... look.intens.opt.imper_formal** care.dat!
(*: or story, truth; **: this is a formal imperative of an intensified word in the optative mood)
Say.inf word.acc this.acc was we.dat important. Think.pst.1pl we.acc be.prt.acc people.acc strong.acc.
Place is not place justice.gen... be_remembered place.dat no deed praise.pass.opt.prt... is here nothing want.pass.prt.
Here be.prt.n we.dat is dangerous and hated. Word this is warning danger.dat.
Danger in here is... grow towards center.acc... center danger.gen here is... a size.dat shape.dat-and, and below.
Danger still stays, in time.dat your_formal.gen, also in we.gen.
Is danger body.dat and kill.
Kind danger.gen is energy.gen out-come.prt.
Danger unleash.prf.fut if place touch.pass. Place un-near.pass.opt and not inhabit.pass.opt.

This place is a message... and part of a group of messages... please pay attention carefully!
Telling this message was important to us. We believe we are a strong civilisation.
This is not a place of justice... No praiseworthy deed is remembered here... there is nothing desireable here.
What is here, is dangerous and dispicable to us. This message is a warning of danger.
The danger is here... it grows towards the center... the senter of danger is here... of a certain shape and size, and below us.
The danger is still here, in your time, in ours as well.
It is a danger to the body and it kills.
The kind of danger is an outburst of energy.
The danger is unleashed if this place is stirred. This place should be avoided and not inhabited.
Though, truth be told, this text on a huge scare stone would be by far more effective:

Βαᴧιцωн οικιεc Тαнαφεрec.
Spoiler:
Below live.3pl death-carrier.
Below live the Deathbringers!

The Deathbringers are servants of Khotano, the God of Death and also of Earth.
Good luck everybody else!