The jawbone of an ass [;)]

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

The jawbone of an ass [;)]

Post by eldin raigmore »

Translate Judges chapter 15 verses 15-16 into any language(s) you choose— con- or nat-.
“KJV” wrote:15 And he found a new jawbone of an ass, and put forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith.
16 And Samson said, With the jawbone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men.
(BTW it’s still one of the world’s deadliest weapons.) :mrgreen:
spanick
roman
roman

Re: The jawbone of an ass [;)]

Post by spanick »

Weddisch (edited from Nortsääenglisch)

Ann hie vann aan neyu kiekbaan of aan as, ann strekked his hann uut, ann tóek him, ann slog duzenn men dearmid. Ann Simson seid, “Mid det kiekbaan of aan as, [hiepe on hiepe], mid det kiekbaan of aan as heb ik duzenn men slage.”

/anː hiː vanː aːn nɛiu kiːkbaːn of aːn as | anː stɾekəd hɪs hanː uːt| anː tøːk hɪm | anː slog duːzenː men dɛːrmɪd | anː zɪmzon zɛɪd | mɪd dɛt kiːkbaːn of aːn as | hiːpə on hiːpə | mɪd dɛt kiːkbaːn of aːn as hɛb ɪk duːzenː men slagə/

The bracketed text below is an alternate to the bracketed text above. "heaps upon heaps" appears to be a KJV rendering and not found in all English (or other languages) versions, so I opted to include both.
[mid det kiekbaan of det kout of ese]
/ mɪd dɛt kiːkbaːn of dɛt kout of ɛz/
Last edited by spanick on 20 Apr 2019 04:35, edited 2 times in total.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

spanick wrote: 06 Dec 2018 21:51 Nortsääenglisch

Ann hij vann aan neiu tschiikbaan of aan as, ann streked his hann uut, ann töök him, ann slog duuzenn men däärmid. Ann Simson seid, “Mid dät tschiikbaan of aan as, [hiipe on hiipe], mid dät tschiikbaan of aan as häb ik duuzenn men slage.”

/anː hiː vanː aːn nɛiu ʧiːkbaːn of aːn as | anː stɾekəd hɪs hanː uːt| anː tøːk hɪm | anː slog duːzenː men dɛːɐmɪd | anː zɪmzon zɛɪd | mɪd dɛt ʧiːkbaːn of aːn as | hiːpə on hiːpə | mɪd dɛt ʧiːkbaːn of aːn as hɛb ɪk duːzenː men slagə/

The bracketed text below is an alternate to the bracketed text above. "heaps upon heaps" appears to be a KJV rendering and not found in all English (or other languages) versions, so I opted to include both.
[mid dät tschiikbaan of dät kout of äser]
/ mɪd dɛt ʧiːkbaːn of dɛt kout of ɛzɐ/

Thanks, @spanick!
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Sorry I'm late!

:con: Rozwi

15) Yaza raʕūsanè ʕeofuenin šišθošiʕaunà tovr, ʕa zveinedosanè qaɂočū yagu,

ʕa qaɂočuen yagu hæʕūsanè ɂeikæ, ča ʕuestkostirausanè giezin ɂelefoà ɂeikau.

16) ʕa Šomušun sveitosanè, «yaza ptuena ʕa ptuena ʕuestkostiraúsanie giezin ɂelefoà ʕeofuenin šišθošiʕauneu.»

Spoiler:
15) Yaza raʕūsanè ʕeofuenin šišθošiʕaunà tovr, ʕa zveinedosanè qaɂočū yagu,
CNJ find<PLUP>3SG donkey.GEN jawbone<SG>ACC new | CNJ reach<PLUP>3SG hand<SG>INST 3SG.M.GEN

ʕa qaɂočuen yagu hæʕūsanè ɂeikæ, ča ʕuestkostirausanè giezin ɂelefoà ɂeikau.
CNJ hand<SG>LOC 3SG.M.GEN grasp<PLUP>3SG 3SG.INAN.OBJ | CNJ kill<PLUP>3SG servant\soldier<PL>GEN thousand.ACC 3SG.INAN.INST

16) ʕa Šomušun sveitosanè, «yaza ptuena ʕa ptuena ʕuestkostiraúsanie giezin ɂelefoà ʕeofuenin šišθošiʕauneu.»
CNJ <Samson> speak<PLUP>3SG | CNJ pile<PL>LOC CNJ pile<PL>LOC kill<PLUP>1SG servant\soldier<PL>GEN thousand.ACC donkey.GEN jawbone<SG>INST
Quijada de burro (jawbone of ass) & guitarra veracruzana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R44rBtI37EE
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

:con: Silvish

15. Trouvan in-a mahhouya d' as frehha, illy ettandì la mà, la raccoulyì e ss' in servì par tûyé mill eumi.
16. E sSansou dì : Avé lê mahhoû d' in as, de moù e dde moù, avé lê mahhoû d' in as, j' ê tûyé mill eumi.

Spoiler:
Trouvan in-a mahhouya d' as frehha, illy ettandì la mà, la raccoulyì e ss' in servì par tûyé mill eumi.
[truˈvɑ̃ŋ ʔẽ.a.mɑˈhu.jə ˈdɑs ˈfʁɛh.hə | ʔiʎ.ʎɛt.tɑ̃ˈdi ləˈma | la.ʁɑk.kuˈʎi ʔɛs.sɛ̃n.sɛˈvi pɑʁ.tyˈje miˈlø.mi]
find-GER INDEF-F.C jawbone of ass new-F.C | 3S.M.NOM put_forth-PST.3S DEF-F.C hand | 3S.ACC-F take-PST.3S and 3S.REFL of_it make_use for slay-INF thousand man-ACC

And he found a new jawbone of an ass, and put forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith.

E sSansou dì : Avé lê mahhoû d' in as, de moù e dde moù, avé lê mahhoû d' in as, j' ê tûyé mill eumi.
[ʔɛˈsɑ̃n.su ˈdi | ʔəˈve lɛː.mɑˈhuː dŋ̩ˈɑs | dəˈmu ʔɛd.dəˈmu | ʔəˈve lɛː.mɑˈhuː dŋ̩ˈɑs | ʑɛː.tyˈje miˈlø.mi]
and Samson say.3S | with DEF-OBL.F.C jawbone.OBL of INDEF ass | PART heap and PART heap | with DEF-OBL.F.C jawbone.OBL of INDEF ass | 1S.NOM have.1S slay-PST_PTCP thousand man

And Samson said, With the jawbone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:tan: Swahili
Biblia Takatifu

Waamuzi Mlango Kumi na Tano

15 Naye akaona mfupa mbichi wa taya ya punda, akautwaa, akapiga watu elfu kwa mfupa huo;
16 Samsoni akasema, Kwa taya ya punda chungu juu ya chungu, Kwa taya ya punda nimepiga watu elfu.

Code: Select all

na-ye   a-ka-on(a)    mfupa    m-bichi  w-a    taya    y-a    punda 
COM-1   1-SUBS-see    bone(3)  3-fresh  3-GEN  jaw(9)  9-GEN  donkey(9)
and he  he then saw   bone     fresh    of     jaw     of     donkey
and he then saw a fresh jawbone of a donkey

a-ka-u-twa(a)
1-SUBS-3-seize
he then seized it
and seized it

a-ka-pig(a)     watu       elfu      kw-a    mfupa    huo
1-SUBS-strike   people(2)  thousand  15-GEN  bone(3)  DEM.mentioned.3
he then struck  people     thousand  with    bone     that aforementioned
and struck one thousand people with that bone

Samsoni  a-ka-sem(a) 
Samson   1-SUBS-say
Samson   he then said
Samson then said

kw-a    taya    y-a    punda      chungu        juu     y-a    chungu 
15-GEN  jaw(9)  9-GEN  donkey(9)  multitude(9)  top(9)  9-GEN  multitude(9)
with    jaw     of     donkey     multidue      on top  of     multitude
with the jaw of a donkey, heap upon heap

kw-a    taya    y-a    punda      ni-me-pig(a)   watu       elfu
15-GEN  jaw(9)  9-GEN  donkey(9)  1S-PRF-strike  people(2)  thousand
with    jaw     of     donkey     I have struck  people     thousand
with the jaw of a donkey, I have struck one thousand people

Numbers alone do not refer to person but to noun class.
1st and 2nd persons indicated with 1S, 1P, 2S, 2P
SUBS = subsequent, narrative tense ("and then")
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

“KJV” wrote:15 And he found a new jawbone of an ass, and put forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith.
16 And Samson said, With the jawbone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men.
Image Géarthnuns

15 San lé orha sau bdonafsörsaut çíhöraut sö nléjobsös zçírhef, kfö cha thrinsat mnaujiz kfö sauraut haukuzh, kfö sök dhaubsöch péreböch sauraun zçomikh.
3SG-NOM AUX.PAST and INDEF jawbone-ACC fresh/new-ACC INDEF ass-GEN found, and DEF hand-ACC put.forth and 3SG-ACC take, and INDEF.PL man-ACC.PL thousand-ACC.PL 3SG-INSTR smite/slay
15 And he found a new jawbone of an ass, and put forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith.

16 Shímsons lé orha ngamath: „Chau bdonafsörsaun sö nléjobsös, sí galsín, síl galsíg; chau bdonafsörsaun sö nléjobsös sí lö sök dhaubsöch péreböch zçomikh.”
Samson-NOM AUX.PAST and say: „DEF jawbone-INSTR INDEF ass-GEN, INDEF heap-INSTR, INDEF.DUAL heap-INSTR.DUAL; DEF jawbone-INSTR INDEF ass-GEN 1SG-NOM AUX.PRESPRF INDEF.PL man-ACC.PL thousand-ACC.PL smite/slay
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

Amqoli:
Sha ndeq pshazhashi kralixtsu traqe, sha lphajo cherye tqhazhel, sha je shcheta bguli tetsori.
[ʃa ⁿdjaʁ ˈpʃaʒaʃi kraˈʎixtsu traˈʁe | ʃa ˈlpʰadʒo ˈtʃeje ˈtqˣaʒeɫ | ʃa dʒe ˈʃtʃeta ˈbɣuʎi teˈtsoji]
and new ass-PAR jawbone 3T.M-find\PST | and 3S.POSS-hand 3T.M-extend\PST 3T.M-take-PST=3.ACC | and 3INAN.INSTR thousand man.PL 3T.M-kill\PST

Sha Samsom dzgaba tqolzh, Pshazhashi kralixtspe, mochxakri mqochxakryecha, pshazhashi kralixtspe zha shcheta bguli metsorzi.
[ʃa ˈsãsõ ˈdzɣaβa tχoʎʒ | ˈpʃaʒaʃi kraˈʎixtspe | moˈtʃʰakji mʁoˈtʃʰakjetʃa | ˈpʃaʒaʃi kraˈʎixtspe ʒa ˈʃtʃeta ˈbɣuʎi meˈtsorzi]
and Samson thus 3T.M-say-PST ass-PAR jawbone-INSTR | heap-COLL <NONF>heap-V>N.be_over | ass-PAR jawbone-INSTR 1S.NOM thousand man.PL 3L.INAN-kill-INSTR>TOP-PST
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Imralu wrote: 31 Dec 2018 04:59 :tan: Swahili
Biblia Takatifu

Waamuzi Mlango Kumi na Tano

15 Naye akaona mfupa mbichi wa taya ya punda, akautwaa, akapiga watu elfu kwa mfupa huo;
16 Samsoni akasema, Kwa taya ya punda chungu juu ya chungu, Kwa taya ya punda nimepiga watu elfu.

Code: Select all

na-ye   a-ka-on(a)    mfupa    m-bichi  w-a    taya    y-a    punda 
COM-1   1-SUBS-see    bone(3)  3-fresh  3-GEN  jaw(9)  9-GEN  donkey(9)
and he  he then saw   bone     fresh    of     jaw     of     donkey
and he then saw a fresh jawbone of a donkey

a-ka-u-twa(a)
1-SUBS-3-seize
he then seized it
and seized it

a-ka-pig(a)     watu       elfu      kw-a    mfupa    huo
1-SUBS-strike   people(2)  thousand  15-GEN  bone(3)  DEM.mentioned.3
he then struck  people     thousand  with    bone     that aforementioned
and struck one thousand people with that bone

Samsoni  a-ka-sem(a) 
Samson   1-SUBS-say
Samson   he then said
Samson then said

kw-a    taya    y-a    punda      chungu        juu     y-a    chungu 
15-GEN  jaw(9)  9-GEN  donkey(9)  multitude(9)  top(9)  9-GEN  multitude(9)
with    jaw     of     donkey     multidue      on top  of     multitude
with the jaw of a donkey, heap upon heap

kw-a    taya    y-a    punda      ni-me-pig(a)   watu       elfu
15-GEN  jaw(9)  9-GEN  donkey(9)  1S-PRF-strike  people(2)  thousand
with    jaw     of     donkey     I have struck  people     thousand
with the jaw of a donkey, I have struck one thousand people

Numbers alone do not refer to person but to noun class.
1st and 2nd persons indicated with 1S, 1P, 2S, 2P
SUBS = subsequent, narrative tense ("and then")
I have liked and appreciated all of these translations so far. Thank you! I’m sorry I didn’t say so sooner!

I especially like the one I’ve quoted, largely because of the SUBS feature of the language!
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Yélian

15 Èpa sandet náclacnar o'falmi, betál nabernet to vanit zetpiys èpabetál tem pesut, fécunat lacolket brayeʻi pes.
[ˈɛpɐ ˈsandət ˈnaklaknɐd̟ ɔ̈ˈɸalmi, bəˈtal nɐˈbeɾnət tɔ̈ ˈvaːnɨt ˈcĕpa̯iːs ˌɛpɐbəˈtaːl təm ˌpeːsʉt, ˈɸeːkʉnɐt lɐˈkolkə̆‿ˈbɾaːʃəʔi pes]
and find-3SG bone DEF.GEN=jaw DEF.GEN=donkey, then move 3SG.MASC.POSS hand forward and_then 3SG.MASC.OBL take-INV.3SG.INAN, with_DEM slay-3SG man.PL-ENUM thousand
15 And he found a new jawbone of an ass, and put forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith.

16 Betál Samson bicet, fecun náclacnar o'falmi, éveresce, fecun náclacnar o'falmi yilacolkai brayeʻi pes.
[bəˈtal ˈsamsɔ̈n ˈbiːkət, ˈɸeːkʉn ˈnaklaknɐd̟ ɔ̈ˈɸalmi, ˈeːvəˌɾeskə, ˈɸeːkʉn ˈnaklaknɐd̟ ɔ̈ˈɸalmi çɨlɐˈkolkai̯ ˈbɾaːʃəˈʔi pes]
then PROP say-3SG, with bone DEF.GEN=jaw DEF.GEN=donkey, masses_on_masses, with bone DEF.GEN=jaw DEF.GEN=donkey PST-slay-1SG man.PL-ENUM thousand
Last edited by Iyionaku on 24 Jan 2019 11:30, edited 2 times in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Iyionaku wrote: 23 Jan 2019 11:04 :con: Yélian

15 Èpa sandai clacnar o'naclec o'falmi, betál nabernet to vanit zetpiys èpabetál tem pesut, fécunat lacolket brayeʻi pes.
[ˈɛpɐ ˈsandaɪ̯ ˈklaknɐd̟ ɔ̈ˈnaklək ɔ̈ˈɸalmi, bəˈtal nɐˈbeɾnət tɔ̈ ˈvaːnɨt ˈcĕpa̯iːs ˌɛpɐbəˈtaːl təm ˌpeːsʉt, ˈɸeːkʉnɐt lɐˈkolkə̆‿ˈbɾaːʃəʔi pes]
and find-1SG bone DEF.GEN=jaw DEF.GEN=donkey, then move 3SG.MASC.POSS hand forward and_then 3SG.MASC.OBL take-INV.3SG.INAN, with_DEM slay-3SG man.PL-ENUM thousand

16 Betál Samson bicet, fecun clacnar o'naclec o'falmi, éveresce, fecun clacnar o'naclec o'falmi yilacolkai brayeʻi pes.
[bəˈtal ˈsamsɔ̈n ˈbiːkət, ˈɸeːkʉn ˈklaknɐd̟ ɔ̈ˈnaklək ɔ̈ˈɸalmi, ˈeːvəˌɾeskə, ˈɸeːkʉn ˈklaknɐd̟ ɔ̈ˈnaklək ɔ̈ˈɸalmi çɨlɐˈkolkai̯ ˈbɾaːʃəˈʔi pes]
then PROP say-3SG, with bone DEF.GEN=jaw DEF.GEN=donkey, masses_on_masses, with bone DEF.GEN=jaw DEF.GEN=donkey PST-slay-1SG man.PL-ENUM thousand
Thanks, Iyionaku.
... find-1SG ...
Should this be “find-3SG”?

take-INV.3SG.INAN
What does -INV. mean?

Tense seems to be marked inconsistently.
In verse 15, there’s no tense on any of the verbs: not “find” nor “move” nor “take” nor “slay”.
In verse 16, there’s no tense on “say”, but there’s past tense on “slay”.
Is that intentional? If so, why?

Also, why are “jaw” and “donkey” both definite, and why are they both genitive?
My guess would have been only “donkey” should be genitive and only “jaw” should be definite.
But I can easily imagine that there might be language-specific reasons for it to be otherwise; is that the case?
If so, what are those reasons?

————

Yours turned out to be a very interesting translation of these two verses!
Thank you again!

========== ========== ========== ========== ==========

@Nortaneous:
Nortaneous wrote: 02 Jan 2019 19:16 Amqoli:
Sha ndeq pshazhashi kralixtsu traqe, sha lphajo cherye tqhazhel, sha je shcheta bguli tetsori.
[ʃa ⁿdjaʁ ˈpʃaʒaʃi kraˈʎixtsu traˈʁe | ʃa ˈlpʰadʒo ˈtʃeje ˈtqˣaʒeɫ | ʃa dʒe ˈʃtʃeta ˈbɣuʎi teˈtsoji]
and new ass-PAR jawbone 3T.M-find\PST | and 3S.POSS-hand 3T.M-extend\PST 3T.M-take-PST=3.ACC | and 3INAN.INSTR thousand man.PL 3T.M-kill\PST

Sha Samsom dzgaba tqolzh, Pshazhashi kralixtspe, mochxakri mqochxakryecha, pshazhashi kralixtspe zha shcheta bguli metsorzi.
[ʃa ˈsãsõ ˈdzɣaβa tχoʎʒ | ˈpʃaʒaʃi kraˈʎixtspe | moˈtʃʰakji mʁoˈtʃʰakjetʃa | ˈpʃaʒaʃi kraˈʎixtspe ʒa ˈʃtʃeta ˈbɣuʎi meˈtsorzi]
and Samson thus 3T.M-say-PST ass-PAR jawbone-INSTR | heap-COLL <NONF>heap-V>N.be_over | ass-PAR jawbone-INSTR 1S.NOM thousand man.PL 3L.INAN-kill-INSTR>TOP-PST
What does the T stand for in the 3T.M notations?
I also am uncertain about <NONF>heap-V>N.be_over |

===== ===== ===== ===== =====

@Dormouse559;
What’s the .C stand for in the glosses of the Silvish?
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

eldin raigmore wrote: 23 Jan 2019 23:20
Iyionaku wrote: 23 Jan 2019 11:04
Thanks, Iyionaku.
... find-1SG ...
Should this be “find-3SG”?

Yes, and the original translation is wrong too. Fixed.
take-INV.3SG.INAN
What does -INV. mean?

INV = Inverse diathesis. The word translates routhly as "it is found" in that context.

Tense seems to be marked inconsistently.
In verse 15, there’s no tense on any of the verbs: not “find” nor “move” nor “take” nor “slay”.
In verse 16, there’s no tense on “say”, but there’s past tense on “slay”.
Is that intentional? If so, why?

Yes, it's intentional. Stories in Yélian are not marked for past tense. The one word that is marked for past tense is in direct speech.

Also, why are “jaw” and “donkey” both definite, and why are they both genitive?
My guess would have been only “donkey” should be genitive and only “jaw” should be definite.
But I can easily imagine that there might be language-specific reasons for it to be otherwise; is that the case?
If so, what are those reasons?

I had quite a difficult time to translate "jawbone". I have translated it as "bone of a jaw", which is why the whole phrase looks a little clunky. "o'" is indeed the definite genitive article, but in lexical units it can be used even in an indefinite sense like it is here. However, after you highlighted it I regarded the entrie phrase as rather ugly, so I changed the lexical unit of "jawbone" to the new word "náclacnar".

————

Yours turned out to be a very interesting translation of these two verses!
Thank you again!

========== ========== ========== ========== ==========
Thanks a lot for reading my translation! [:)] Sometimes you wonder if anyone is actually interested in the provided translations, and it's good to see that this is indeed the case.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thanks, @Iyionaku, that explains everything quite satisfactorily!
Iyionaku wrote: 24 Jan 2019 11:29 Thanks a lot for reading my translation! [:)] Sometimes you wonder if anyone is actually interested in the provided translations, and it's good to see that this is indeed the case.
You’re welcome! Very much so!

I think I should have responded to Nortaneous’s and Dormouse’s translations more quickly.
I apologize to them for the delay, and I hope they read my responses!

I read every translation. In particular I also read Lao Kou’s and Lambuzhao’s. I just had no questions about those other translations! The Nortsäanglisch I didn’t even need an interlinear morphemic gloss for!
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

eldin raigmore wrote: 24 Jan 2019 15:13I think I should have responded to Nortaneous’s and Dormouse’s translations more quickly.
I apologize to them for the delay, and I hope they read my responses!
No problem. I make my own share of delayed replies. [:P]

eldin raigmore wrote: 23 Jan 2019 23:20@Dormouse559;
What’s the .C stand for in the glosses of the Silvish?
It stands for Silvish's common gender, which includes most nouns except for some human ones. It overlaps the masculine and feminine, which is why the jawbone in my translation takes feminine common (F.C) agreement.
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

eldin raigmore wrote: 23 Jan 2019 23:20 What does the T stand for in the 3T.M notations?
Noun classes T, S, and L. They govern verb agreement, but not much else. Probably should have adjective agreement too, but Amqoli morphology needs to be completely redone anyway.
I also am uncertain about <NONF>heap-V>N.be_over
Generic nonfinite form. Amqoli locatives are always verbs, so it'd be loosely translated as "heaps that are on top of heaps". This is not terribly idiomatic, but neither is the equivalent phrase in the English text.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

[tick]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

What about Proverbs 22:3 and Proverbs 27:12?
The prudent man foreseeth evil and hideth himself; but the simple pass on and are punished.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

What about Proverbs 22:3 and Proverbs 27:12?

Image Géarthnuns

Chö rözçaudöbs lav chü vebuteksüt tel kfö las míközdön, de chauk épöndnersaup la göshfíanöz kfö lat vdil.
DEF prudent.one-NOM AUX.PRES.IMPERS DEF bad-ACC see and AUX.PRES.REFL hide, and DEF.PL simple.one-NOM.PL AUX.PRES pass.on and AUX.PRES.PASS punish
The prudent man foreseeth evil and hideth himself; but the simple pass on and are punished.

Did the writer have a senior moment between chapters 22 and 27? Did a scribe pass out and then recopy? It's nice enough, but hardly bears repeating.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Lao Kou wrote: 26 Feb 2019 13:34 What about Proverbs 22:3 and Proverbs 27:12?

Image Géarthnuns

Chö rözçaudöbs lav chü vebuteksüt tel kfö las míközdön, de chauk épöndnersaup la göshfíanöz kfö lat vdil.
DEF prudent.one-NOM AUX.PRES.IMPERS DEF bad-ACC see and AUX.PRES.REFL hide, and DEF.PL simple.one-NOM.PL AUX.PRES pass.on and AUX.PRES.PASS punish
Thank you: that’s interesting!

Lao Kou wrote: 26 Feb 2019 13:34Did the writer have a senior moment between chapters 22 and 27? Did a scribe pass out and then recopy? It's nice enough, but hardly bears repeating.
I suspect he just thought someone didn’t pay attention the first time.
But I don’t know.
Actual knowledge is a severe obstacle to wild speculation, I find.