The gods didn't create us....

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

The gods didn't create us....

Post by gestaltist »

I decided to translate a short bit of Ismaic mythos. Perhaps someone else will find it interesting to also try.

"The gods didn't create us. They revealed it to us themselves. It was an older power, a mysterious breath of life, that created us all."

:con: Īsmay

Issa ēťo sārā upravya. Issa zulāy tumīv. Pāšukum limpāľ åsar nan åkrasavtā dhasārā niwwati.
Issa ēťo sār-ā upravya. Issa zul<ā>y tum=īv. pâru=suku=m lin=pāľ ʕ=sar nan=ʕ=krasavtā dha-sār-ā na=iwwa=ti.
1p.EXCL not.be\CONT exist<3pm><CAUS>\AOR.GNO god.PL 1p.EXCL see<3pm><CAUS>\AOR.PUNC INTENS=3pm. power=old=more EQ.CNJ=breath POSS=life CNJ=POSS=mystery ANTIP-exist<3sm><CAUS>\AOR.GNO OPT=1p.INCL=all.

[ˈisːa ˈɛːʈo ˈsaːɹaː ˈupɹaʋja ‖ ˈisːa zuˈlaːj tumˈiːʋ ‖ ˈpaːʂukum lʲimˈpaːɭ ɒˈsaɹ naˈnɒkɹasaʋtaː dʱaˈsaːraː ˈnʲiwwati]
"The gods didn't create us. They revealed it to us themselves. It was an older power, a mysterious breath of life, that created us all."

EDIT: fixed erroneous stress placement.
Last edited by gestaltist on 13 Jan 2019 12:18, edited 2 times in total.
Jackk
roman
roman

Re: The gods didn't create us....

Post by Jackk »

Boral:

Formal:
Y ci deu nos creaurn noc. Il nos ig revelaurn lou. Nostry creatour agisc ses d'un povir veðrem, un halen vital eð arcan.

Informal:
I no sta ci deu noscon creað. Par lou il nos ig revelaurn. I fo forç veilessem, un respir myster a við, noscon cascun fait.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

:con: griuskant (without the conscript)

akroe shur zhaeista aeskes. raeses laerka riounden ki aeskes.
/'akrɯ 'ʃur 'ʒeista 'eskəs. 'resəs 'lerka 'riɔundən ki 'eskəs/
deity NEG create-V 1PL. 3PL reveal story-N-PASS to 1PL

koenzungki zhuicyaje il uarki ijeres zhaeista uv aeskes.
/'kɯnzuŋki 'ʒuitʃjadʒə 'il 'uarki 'idʒərəs 'ʒeista 'uv 'eskəs/
shall.mystery-A life.first-N more old-A advanced-N-IMP-N-PL create-V all 1PL
Last edited by Reyzadren on 30 Mar 2020 03:47, edited 1 time in total.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

:con: Silvish

Li ddyes nou-z an pas creyê. I nnou ll' ant revlé leû mimmou. L' ett in plu vvyê possoù, in souflou de viya misteryeu, qu' î nou-z a tû creyê.
[liˈdjɛs nu.zɑ̃ˈpɑs kʁəˈjɛː | ʔɛ̃n.nul.lɑ̃n.tʁəˈvle ˈlœː ˈmɛ̃m.mu | lɛt.tɛ̃m.plyv.vjɛː.pɔˈsu | ʔɛ̃ˈsu.flu dəˈvi.jə mi.stɛˈjø | kiː.nu.zəˈtyː kʁəˈjɛː]
DEF-M.N god 1P have.3P NEG create-PST_PTCP.ACC.M.N | 3P 1P 3S.ACC reveal-PST_PTCP.ACC.M.C 3P.DISJ self | 3S be.3S INDEF.M.C more old.M.C power INDEF.M.C breath of life mysterious.M.C REL 3S 1P have.3P all.ACC.M.N create-PST_PTCP.ACC.M.N

The gods haven't created us. They revealed it to us themselves. It was an older power, a mysterious breath of life, that created us all.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:con: Ngolu / Iliaqu

Kka ti kue iuis ini ju Niqu ju Uoqu.
NEG PRF create ACC.2P.ICS ACC.1P.ICS NOM.3S.DEF.ICS goddess.of.creation NOM.3S.DEF.ICS god.of.destruction
Niqu and Uoqu did not create us.

Ahe tuzu xi ieui ienis iju mio.
AFF introduce ACC.3S.DEF.INAN DAT.2P.ICS DAT.1P.ICS NOM.3P.DEF.ICS self
But rather, they made it known to us themselves.

Ti otu hue vire xue hinaime lau kamau xu kue giui gini va
PRF powerful more old and(VP) breath alive mystery NOM.3S.DEF.INAN create VB-ACC.2P.ICS VP-ACC.1P.ICS all
It was an older power, a mysterious breath of life, that created us all.

(I'm not sure what the it in "They revealed it to us themselves" refers to, but I just translated it directly.)
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Imralu wrote: 13 Jan 2019 10:41 (I'm not sure what the it in "They revealed it to us themselves" refers to, but I just translated it directly.)
"It" refers to the previous sentence, i.e. "gods told us themselves that it wasn't them who created us."
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

gestaltist wrote: 13 Jan 2019 12:19
Imralu wrote: 13 Jan 2019 10:41 (I'm not sure what the it in "They revealed it to us themselves" refers to, but I just translated it directly.)
"It" refers to the previous sentence, i.e. "gods told us themselves that it wasn't them who created us."
Ah, got it! Thanks.

I'd now translate the second sentence as:

Mauzu xiie ieui ienis iju mio.
make.known ACC.3S.DEF.INAN.PROX DAT.2P.ICS DAT.1P.ICS NOM.3P.DEF.ICS self
They revealed that to us themselves.

using the demonstrative xiie (roughly "that which I just said") instead of just xi ("it") and add the ahe to the beginning of the third sentence to give it the "but rather" feeling. I wasn't sure what was being contrasted with the negative of the first sentence, whether it was the content of the second or third.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Imralu wrote: 13 Jan 2019 19:34
gestaltist wrote: 13 Jan 2019 12:19
Ah, got it! Thanks.

I'd now translate the second sentence as:

Mauzu xiie ieui ienis iju mio.
make.known ACC.3S.DEF.INAN.PROX DAT.2P.ICS DAT.1P.ICS NOM.3P.DEF.ICS self
They revealed that to us themselves.

using the demonstrative xiie (roughly "that which I just said") instead of just xi ("it") and add the ahe to the beginning of the third sentence to give it the "but rather" feeling. I wasn't sure what was being contrasted with the negative of the first sentence, whether it was the content of the second or third.
Glad to help. :) I love Ngolu BTW. It's the conlang spoken in a tube on an orbital station, right?
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

gestaltist wrote: 14 Jan 2019 09:44 Glad to help. :) I love Ngolu BTW. It's the conlang spoken in a tube on an orbital station, right?
Thanks so much. Yep, that's the one! Click on accessible/inaccessible in my signature for the thread. :-)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

gestaltist wrote: 12 Jan 2019 20:23 I decided to translate a short bit of Ismaic mythos. Perhaps someone else will find it interesting to also try.
Image Géarthnuns

Vek dhaugsep lé pantalach tíornath.
DEF.PL.NEG god-NOM.PL.NEG AUX.PAST 1PL-ACC.NEG create
The gods didn't create us.

Rheth lé rhethníe makhlamal hereçkeveçö gdhöidazçukh.
3PL-NOM AUX.PAST themselves-ADV 1PL-DAT thus-ADV reveal
They revealed it to us themselves.

Sü shöngíks zçemelök lü, sau türs cha mnusansab thfau, chaur lé makhlamach fanfethech híau tíornath sho, jnéal.
It was an older power, a mysterious breath of life, that created us all.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
nmn
sinic
sinic

Post by nmn »

Z̧uǯ

Téotéok faefmrłkl joln. Won non puofmrł won lsjoln. Womrł mçó žéacl, žõš d'ⱬúo mw'an, won faefmrł joln.
Téo~téo-k faefm-rł-kl joln. Won non puofm-rł won ls=joln. Wom-rł mçó žéa-cl, žõš d-ⱬúo mw'an, won faefm-rł joln.
god~PL-PL.INT create-PST-NEG 1.PL.EMP. 3 this reveal-PST 3 DAT=1.PL.EMP. 3.be-PST power old-COMP, breath ADJ-mystery life, 3 create-PST 1.PL.EMP.
The gods didn't create us. They revealed it to us themselves. It was an older power, a mysterious breath of life, that created us all.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Koren

Ol Nebsa rok ses<e>k Pesa.
NEG god.DEF PERF create<AG> we.all
'It was not the gad(s) who created us.

[Ao] n<e>b Pesa tetu.
[3] tell.<AG> we.all self
'They told to us themselves.'

Ses<e>k-i-r Pesa, usiu el ao, ru eksa, ru gosi-g Naksa-o.
create<AG>-NMLZ-POSS we.all, be.old than 3, COP power.INDEF, COP breath-POSS.INDEF life-PN
'The creator or us is older than them, it is a power, it was a breath of Life'
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Imralu wrote: 14 Jan 2019 10:27
gestaltist wrote: 14 Jan 2019 09:44 Glad to help. :) I love Ngolu BTW. It's the conlang spoken in a tube on an orbital station, right?
Thanks so much. Yep, that's the one! Click on accessible/inaccessible in my signature for the thread. :-)
If you look back at the thread, most of the responses were from me, so yeah, I've read it. ;) It's been almost 4 years, though, so I guess we both forgot.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Yélian

A'devian yanat ciyimancyí. Cenʻit yipavimitut pès yanat. Vat yibet staûpuʻata, simiarprès o'vinquasé, vit yanó yimancyut.

Spoiler:
A'devian yanat ciyimancyí. Cenʻit yipavimitut pès yanat.
[ɐˈdeːʋɪ̯ɐn ˈʃaːnɐt kɨɕɨmɐŋkˈʃiː | ˈkenʔɨt ɕɨˌpaːʋɨˈmiːtʉ‿pɛs ˈʃaːnɐt]
DEF.ANIM=god-PL 1PLIN.OBL NEG-PST-create-3PL | 3PL.OBL PST-REFL-reveal-INV.3SG.INAN DAT 1PLIN.OBL
"The gods didn't create us. They revealed it to us themselves.

Vat yibet staûpuʻata, simiarprès o'vinquasé, vit yanó yimancyut.
[vɐt ˈɕiːbət ˈsta.ʉˌpuːʔɐtɐ, ˈsimɪ̯ɐɾˌpɾɛs ɔ̈ˌʋɨŋkɐˈseː, vɨt ʃɐˈnoː ɕɨˈmaŋkʃʉt]
DEM PST-COP.3SG power-old-COMP, breath-mysterious DEF.GEN=life, REL 1COLIN.REC PST-create-INV.3SG.INAN
It was an older power, a mysterious breath of life, that created us all."
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Dlor

So múmul mut kam.
NEG MOVINGOBJECT.make god PL1EXCL
'The god(s) didn't create us.'

Bar me on kam âsa
say with it PL1EXCL self
'They revealed it to us themselves.'

Til tûk jeen lu mut, bal ra mo bál
do_it ? be_old than god, breath of COMPL be_alive
'It was an older power, a mysterious breath of life, that created us all.'

Tûk is best translated as 'natural law', 'natural existence', something that just is.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

:con: Rireinutire

hase mena muhikiseve: he huti sikimu meha iñamayekive: saki kaki kanama hava memu koñe muhikive saki ravañara vuisano viusu yakive:
/ˈhɑse ˈmenɑ ˈmuhikiseve || he ˈhuti ˈsikimu ˈmehɑ ˈiŋɑmajekive || ˈsɑki ˈkɑki ˈkɑnɑmɑ ˈhɑvɑ ˈmemu ˈkoŋe ˈmuhikive ˈsɑki ˈɹɑvɑŋɑɹɑ ˈvuisano ˈviusu ˈjɑkive/
hase me-na muhi-ki-se-ve || he huti siki-mu me-ha iñamaye-ki-ve || saki kaki kana-ma hava me-mu koñe muhi-ki-ve saki ravañara vuisa-no viusu ya-ki-ve
goddess.NOM 1P-PTV create-PST-NEG-HSY || 3P.R.NOM self.NOM this-ACC 1P-ADE reveal-PST-HSY || that.NOM which.NOM old-COMP power.NOM 1P-ACC all create-PST-HSY that.NOM mysterious life-GEN breath.NOM be-PST-HSY

Translation challenge 9/100
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

:con: 3SDL:
pÀˏÅp¾^^w¼pÀË{¼†¼¿iyÀ†¾¼¿™öÍ`ÀÁ^Ž¾¼Ð
(those above all and saying their activity not giving men given by breath of very old strength unknown...)