The Book of the Dead Chapter 12

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

The Book of the Dead Chapter 12

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Egyptian: åu åri-nå neter-hetepu en neteru perxeru en xu nehem-ten-uå år ten xu uå år ten enen små-ten er-å em bah neter âa*

:eng: I have made offerings to the gods, and sacrificial meals to the spirits. Deliver me then ye, protect me then ye, make not accusations against me before the gods great.

:con: Sztiatosian (Latin): Espendmi í tód nëtaruyos hé i tód khujos to përkharum. Dólópási år emí kue tí hé szersi år emí kue tí, mé leksi emí pres tói nëtarusu wesui.

:con: Sztiatosian:

*Represents older Egyptian realizations. There is no "e" in Egyptian and so on...
cartweel
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: The Book of the Dead Chapter 12

Post by cartweel »

This is a new project that I just started called wh-tn blw, "The Language of the Gods" inspired in large part by ancient texts like this one. So, it's an appropriate TC. wh-tn blw is biconsonental.

wh-tn blw

tbt yb-yd l yb-yl:w m tbt yb-yht s-sm-k l ym-ybt h-wy. bm-t hn ps-b:m, bm-t hn s-ph-n:m, m ka pr-d:t ym-ynt lrm pn wb-sn blw sm-d.

Why so many dashes? It's an orthographical convention to help any would-be translator keep straight his or her root consonants from their transfixes. Colons indicate that the preceding consonant is geminate.

tbt yb-yd l yb-yl:w m tbt yb-yht s-sm-k l ym-ybt h-wy
I.offer.PERF offering.PL to god.PL and I.offer.PERF eat.PASS_PTCP.PL to hunger.ACT_PTCP.PL holy.ADJ
Colzie
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Colzie »

Rudan:

Aludipnifpís aludifisús ilge, aludepepísca alunisaśás.
Mi sitáraxte nu, mi soce nu, aludifispís aftarifis aŋri icáziktan mi cek irikte nit.

DEF-sacrifice-DAT.PL DEF-god-ACC.PL do-PAST.1s DEF-sacrifical.meal-DAT.PL DEF-spirit-ACC.PL
1s.ACC guard-IMP.2s now 1s.ACC protect-IMP.2s now DEF-god-DAT.PL great-DAT.PL in front of IND-attack-ACC 1s.ACC against do-IMP.2s not
Utlandr
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Utlandr »

Egyptian: åu åri-nå neter-hetepu en neteru perxeru en xu nehem-ten-uå år ten xu uå år ten enen små-ten er-å em bah neter âa*

:eng: I have made offerings to the gods, and sacrificial meals to the spirits. Deliver me then ye, protect me then ye, make not accusations against me before the gods great.

:con: Sztiatosian (Latin): Espendmi í tód nëtaruyos hé i tód khujos to përkharum. Dólópási år emí kue tí hé szersi år emí kue tí, mé leksi emí pres tói nëtarusu wesui.

:con: Sztiatosian:

:con: Wistra Gutisk: Ek haba salida du guþam, jah sauþs mateis du ahmam. Sandjei mek þauh jus, bairgei mek þauh jus, gasak wiþra mek ni faur guþam mahteigs.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Inyauk:
ʧánaunut iʔíʦuunak wa píʔimpiuʧut ikíθaunak ʃúpalak ʧíral. ʦaʃúnabmi wa ʦabátimabmi fúr ʧíʔutxan. jaʦaʔáʦinmi íʦaurut ʧílak iʔíʦuunila.

ʧánaun-ut i-íʦuun-ak wa píʔimpiuʧ-ut i-kíθaun-ak ʃúp-al-ak ʧí-ral
sacrifice.pl-PSD DEF-god.pl-RCP and meal.gifts-PSD DEF-spirit.pl-RCP give-PST-END 1.sg-GVR

ʦa-ʃún-ab-mi wa ʦa-bátim-ab-mi fú-r ʧí-ut-xan
IMP-carry-FUT-SRT and IMP-protect-FUT-SRT 2.pl-PSR 1.sg-PSD-BEN

ja-ʦa-áʦin-mi íʦaur-ut ʧí-lak i-íʦuun-ila
NEG-IMP-throw-SRT word.pl-PSD 1.sg-DST DEF-god.pl-BLW
hadad
sinic
sinic

Post by hadad »

:con: Zhormaunii - Oizhaup miitdou thozhuts, en xekrabaasil mils dou thozfiradz. Tiilaparmii thanjouz, fruudakdmii thanjouz, noumiik ekiousiisions endoimii veibuur thogalzhuts.
Know phrases in more languages than can fit in this signature.
Speaks English and Spanish.
Reads Sumerian.
There is more.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Egyptian: åu åri-nå neter-hetepu en neteru perxeru en xu nehem-ten-uå år ten xu uå år ten enen små-ten er-å em bah neter âa*
Coptic (Bohairic) -

AINI ŃϪЄ ANOK ŃϢOΥϢѠOΥϢI *ŃNINOYϮ,
/ɛj.ni ən.ʤe ɒ.nɔk ən.ʃu.ʃo:ʊ.ʃi ən.ni.nu:.ti/
[do-PFT=1SG:bring TOPZ 1SG.NOM ACC.sacrifice
DAT.ART:PL=god ]
I have brought sacrifices to the gods

OYOϨ AINI ŃNIOYѠM ŃNIϦ.
/wɔh ɛj.ni ən.ni.wo:m ən.ni:x /
[CNJ do-PFT=1SG:bring ACC.ART:PL=food DAT.ART:PL=spirit]
and I have brought meals to the spirits

ЄΘPЄTŃNAϨM NHI, ЄΘPЄTŃNAϢϮ NHI,
/e.θre.tən.nɒ.həm ni:/ /e.θre.tən.nɒʃ.ti ni:/
[SBJV=2PL:deliver DAT.1SG][SBJV=2PL:strengthen DAT.1SG]
Ye deliver me, ye protect me

MHTЄTЄNCЄMI ЄPOI ϦATЄN NINOYϮ NINIϢϮ.
/mi.te.ten.sɛ.mi e.rɔj xɒ.ten ni.nu:.ti ni.niʃ.ti/
[PROH=2PL:accuse DAT:mouth=1SG before ART:PL=god ART:PL=mighty]
Don't you accuse me before the gods the mighty

*ŃTHP, ŃTAIP, ŃΔЄЄPЄ – "gods" fossilized Old Coptic plural forms from older */na.ʧejr.ʌw/ (viz. Loprieno, 45)
the form above is straight biblical, the number-neutral form used in the Old Testament for "god" or "gods".

Dua Netjer en ek. Thakowsaizmu!!!

:lat: Latin -

Sacrificia deis et cenas laribus obtuli.
Liberate me atque custodite,
Nec loquemini contra me accusationes coram deis magnis.

I have made offerings to the gods, and sacrificial meals to the spirits. Deliver me then ye, protect me then ye, make not accusations against me before the gods great.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Image Silvish

Jh' e fé d' ofranda li ddyi e d' repà sakrefisyélo paû-z eppri. Delivremme alora, defendemme alora, m' akuzê pà devan li ggran dyi.
I have made offerings to the gods, and sacrificial meals to the spirits. Deliver me then ye, protect me then ye, make not accusations against me before the gods great.

Jh' e fé d' ofranda li ddyi e d' repà sakrefisyélo paû-z eppri.
[ʒəˈfe dəˈfʁɑ̃n.da liˈdi e.dʁəˈpa sa.kʁe.fiˈʃe.lə pɑː.zɛˈpʁi]
1S.NOM have.1S make.PSTP INDF.PL offering DEF-M.N.OBL.PL PL-god-OBL and INDF.PL meal sacrifical-M.C for-DEF.M.C-PL spirit

I have made offerings to the gods, and sacrificial meals to the spirits.

Delivremme alora, defendemme alora, m' akuzê pà devan li ggran dyi.
[de.liˈvʁɛm.mə ʔaˈlo.ʁa | de.fɛ̃ˈdɛm.mə ʔaˈlo.ʁa | ma.kyˈzɛː ˈpa dəˈvɑ̃ŋ lig.gʁɑ̃ˈdi]
deliver-IMP.2P-1S.ACC then | protect-IMP.2P-1S.ACC then | 1S.ACC accuse-IMP.2P NEG in_front_of DEF-M.N.OBL.PL PL-great.M.N god-OBL

Deliver me then ye, protect me then ye, make not accusations against me before the gods great.

Notes
The Silvish oblique case is actually an amalgam of the Latin genitive, dative and ablative — evidenced by some of its uses. Relevant to this sentence, it can mark the indirect object of a verb if the object meets certain criteria (definite, noble gender), and it can mark certain possessors (again, definite, noble gender). Because of the language's syntax, an oblique-marked indirect object can look identical to a possessor of the direct object, and that's what happens in this translation: Jh' e fé d' ofranda li dyi can read as either "I have made offerings to the gods" or "I have made some of the gods' offerings".

I have considered doing something to resolve this ambiguity, but I'm probably going to keep it. The interpretations that result from sentences I've tested don't feel like anything context wouldn't clear up. Meanwhile, I might be able to use the ambiguity for puns or riddles (see "Make me a prince!").

New word
ofranda nfc - offering (borrowing < Fr. offrande)
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Dormouse559 wrote: 09 Nov 2020 08:59 Delivremme alora, defendemme alora, m' akuzê pà devan li ggran dyi.
[de.liˈvʁɛm.mə ʔaˈlo.ʁa | de.fɛ̃ˈdɛm.mə ʔaˈlo.ʁa | ma.kyˈzɛː ˈpa dəˈvɑ̃ŋ lig.gʁɑ̃ˈdi]
deliver-IMP.2P-1S.ACC | 1S.ACC accuse-IMP.2P NEG in_front_of DEF-M.N.OBL.PL PL-great.M.N god-OBL
Deliver me then ye, protect me then ye, make not accusations against me before the gods great.
Is your gloss correct? It seems like the meaning of the word "alora" is missing.

:con: Yélian

Yicefrai meyén pès devian è viyin, o'tisten è muyéran. Betál rat mazas, èpabetál rat egeras, èpa rat citènecas zet devianyivan.
[ɕɨˈkeːɾaɪ̯ məˈʃeːn pɛs ˈdeːʋɪ̯ɐn ɛ ˈviːɕɨn, ɔ̈ˈtistən ɛ mʉˈʃeːɾɐn. bəˈtaːl ɾɐt ˈmaɟɐʃ, ˌɛpɐbəˈtaːl ɾɐt əˈxeːɾɐʃ, ˈɛpɐ ɾat‿ɨˈtɛnəkɐʃ ce‿ˈdeːʋɪ̯ɐnˌɕiːʋɐn]
PST-sacrifice-1SG offering-PL to god-PL and ghost-PL, DEF.GEN=thing-PL and meal-PL. then 1SG.OBL deliver-JUS.2SG, and_then 1SG.OBL protect-JUS.2SG, and 1SG.POSS NEG-accuse-JUS.2SG before god-PL-great-PL
I have made sacrifices to the gods and spirits, of things and meals. Deliver me then ye, protect me then ye, make not accusations against me before the gods great.

New word:

tèneca [ˈtɛnəkɐ] - to make (public) accusations of; to formally accuse sb.
Etymology: cross-derivation from the root *tnc, see the cognates distinc "mistake" or tincas "guilty"

One note for the text: The word meyé implicitly means sacrificial meal, but also a sacrifice and an offering in general; If you look closely, you can see where it derives from, muya is "to eat". Therefore, in order to avoid confusion, I added the nature of the sacrifices, "meyén made of things" for the gods and "meyén made out of meal" for the spirits. I hope to convey the meaning of the original text as closely as possible.
Last edited by Iyionaku on 10 Nov 2020 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Iyionaku wrote: 09 Nov 2020 11:34Is your gloss correct? It seems like the meaning of the word "alora" is missing.
Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. And it looks like I entirely forgot to gloss "protect me then ye". Teaches me to do interlinear glosses past my bedtime. Everything's fixed now.
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

:con: Alál

Xa·Mamıskımıkûraḳma xáṭuṭ : xa·Hamḳatzıkûraḳmá kalıáh rıẓaúẓ.
Mluùzrumuaráaı : Ḷaùzsuruaı : ahà·Laùzlatalṭıutàḳma xáṭuṭ tıûrum.

Xa·Mamıskımıkûraḳma xáṭuṭ : xa·Hamḳatzıkûraḳmá kalıáh rıẓaúẓ.
[xǝ ˈmɐmɪskɪmɪguˌɾɑŋm̩ ˈxaʔʊtʼ xǝ ˈçɐmŋǝt͡ʃɪguˌɾɑŋma kɐˈɬjaç ɾɪˈt͡ʃʰut͡ʃ]
xa mı<amv>s-k-mı<kú>ŕ-à-ḳm-a xáṭ<u>ṭ xa ha<am>ḳ-tzı<kú>ŕ-à-ḳm-á kalı<á>h rıẓ<aú>ẓ
BEN prayer<1.4PL>-purpose-hand.misc<PRF>-PFV-DSTR-VOL.ACT god<OBL> BEN
give.up<1.4PL>-hand.food<PRF>-PFV-DISTR-XVOL.ACT prior.soul<OBL> meal<PAT>

Mluùzrumuaráaı : Ḷaùzsuruaı : ahà·Laùzlatalṭıutàḳma xáṭuṭ tıûrum.
[m̩ˈɮvoʃɾʊmvǝˌɾahɪ ˈt͡ɬʰoʃsʊɾvǝj ǝˈçɑ ˈɬʰoʃɬǝdǝɬtʼɪfˌtɑŋm̩ ˈxaʔʊtʼ tjuˈɾom]
mlu<vùz>r-ma<u-rv>ŕ-ı-a ḷa<vùz>s-u-rv-ı-a ahà la<vùz-ltv>l-ṭı<u>t-à-ḳm-a xáṭ<u>ṭ tu<ıv-ŕ>r-vr̀-m
guide<2.1>-hand.hum<IMP-thus>-DUR-VOL.ACT protect<2.1>-IMP-thus-DUR-VOL.ACT up.from.below
word<2.1-NEG>-bite<IMP>-CONC-DISTR-VOL.ACT god<OBL> powerful<3-PL>-ATTR-STAT

---
Oh, this was good fun. A nice excuse to play with bipartite verb stems that have a "handling" component (Mıskımîax 'offer [misc. things] as tribute', Haḳtazîaá 'sacrifice [a food]', Mlurmáaı 'deliver/guide [s.o.] through hardship'), which I've wanted to properly implement for a while but hadn't entirely gotten the hang of. Also, a new compound verb Lalṭıtàx 'accuse [s.o.]', literally to 'word-bite'.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

:con: Rireinutire

ma haseha to tekavotusina teñekiva to tekaañena:
/mɑ ˈhɑsehɑ to ˈtekɑˌvotusinɑ ˈteŋekivɑ to ˈtekɑˌɑŋenɑ/
ma hase-ha to teka-votusi-na teñe-ki-va to teka-añe-na ||
1S.NOM and goddess/spirit-ADE sacrifice-offering-PTV make-PST-SENS and sacrifice-meal-PTV ||

te niyi mamu soteka'· te niyi mamu yomaka'· te ute haseno ise mana vasaña noñetakase':
/te ˈniji ˈmɑmu ˈsotekɑʔ | te ˈniji ˈmɑmu ˈjomɑkɑʔ | te ˈute ˈhɑseno ˈise ˈmɑnɑ ˈvɑsɑŋɑ ˈnoŋetɑkɑˌseʔ/
te niyi ma-mu sote-ka-' | te niyi ma-mu yoma-ka-' | te ute hase-no ise ma-na vasa-ña noñeta-ka-se-' ||
2P.NOM then.CONJ 1S-ACC rescue-PRS-IMP | 2P.NOM then.CONJ 1S-ACC protect-PRS-IMP | 2P.NOM great goddess-GEN before 1S-PTV against accuse-PRS-NEG-IMP ||

Translation challenge 79/100
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?