Symbols of Concultures

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Symbols of Concultures

Post by Ahzoh »

XXXVII wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
XXXVII wrote:No problem!

I just ask that you rehost it somewhere. My photo bucket stuff is overdue for some sort of re-organization and purging of stuff, I'd hate to break your links everywhere when I do.
I hope you don't purge the (big) flag...
Nah, but lots o' stuff will move. Purging will be for super old avies and sigs from like circa '02!
The flag is gone and I didn't even get a chance to rehost it...
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

First, you had weeks, second its still there.

I just rearranged everything, its in the CBB folder. So just switch out Language for CBB.
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

GBR wrote:Nice stuff Carl! What did you use to make the greater seal and it's constituent parts?
XXXVII wrote:Image & Image

The second icon there, is for Carl Miller, since the one in his sig doesn't appear to have the 3D "beveled" edge to it. I added one since his flag is just the three colors and only took a few seconds to do.
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

No problem!
Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena »

I have been looking forward to join this conversation for a long time, but I didn't have anything to talk about. Now I finally can :D

This is the Official Flag of the Old Country, a fictional utopian country within my novel Karyon (ch.01). As of year 2318, the starting point of the novel, this flag has been prohibited and hidden by the New Country, a dystopian government settled in most of the American continent.

The sun and the moon are ethical symbols. The moon comes after the sun and the sun comes after the moon regularly, because every consequence has a cause and every cause has a consequence.

Five is a recurrent number in this philosophy. The five colors stand for the five elements (yellow light, blue water, red fire, green earth and silvery air), but also for the five virtues (cleverness, justice, courage, sacrifice and strength). The five virtues will be a prominent element in the plot of my novel.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

[<3] it Serena.

How about this for a glyphic representation-

When i saw the flag, I immediately caught the moon/sun symbol, and thought of this:

the alternate symbol for Pluto

...but, instead of the cross at the bottom, a five-point asterisk?

http://delisiaraceli-5855.zippykid.netd ... terisk.png

Just something to think about, especially if a character wanted to scratch it on a tree-trunk or graffiti it quickly on a wall somewhere, or otherwise mark something as having something to do with "The Old Country".

:?:
Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena »

Lambuzhao wrote:Just something to think about, especially if a character wanted to scratch it on a tree-trunk or graffiti it quickly on a wall somewhere, or otherwise mark something as having something to do with "The Old Country".
I happen to need something like this, actually.

What if I needed to make this a key (I mean a physical key, one made to open a door), how would it be like? It's a great opportunity to pop in some symbology :)
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Serena wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:Just something to think about, especially if a character wanted to scratch it on a tree-trunk or graffiti it quickly on a wall somewhere, or otherwise mark something as having something to do with "The Old Country".
I happen to need something like this, actually.

What if I needed to make this a key (I mean a physical key, one made to open a door), how would it be like? It's a great opportunity to pop in some symbology :)
I would think like some sort of skeleton key. Or make the drawing on a piece of paper, then fold it longitudinally so you get a bisected half. That kind of "half" key would definitely look more skeletony.

Maybe two half-keys that need to fit together to be able to open the lock?

It's really up to you, but glad I could help. [:)]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Lambuzhao wrote:
Serena wrote:I happen to need something like this, actually. What if I needed to make this a key (I mean a physical key, one made to open a door), how would it be like? It's a great opportunity to pop in some symbology :)

I would think like some sort of skeleton key. Or make the drawing on a piece of paper, then fold it longitudinally so you get a bisected half. That kind of "half" key would definitely look more skeletony.
Maybe two half-keys that need to fit together to be able to open the lock?
It's really up to you, but glad I could help. [:)]
See e.g. the key Jack Sparrow needed to get from Davy Jones in Disney's second "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie.
I can only assume it went to some kind of double-cylinder lock. Or, more likely, a single cylinder, but with teeth both at the top and at the bottom.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

It would have to be one - you couldn't rotate two cylinders at once with a key that didn't bend...

Not that odd, though - just think of it as a super-simplified brahma.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Or it could be pieces of an amulet that fit together and press into a relatively shallow keyhole, like a missing dial or knob. Then you rotate it, again, like a knob or dial. I think like the same principle as the key for the Book of Amun-Ra in the movie The Mummy.

CAVEAT: Be sure that the lock isn't a simple negative impression of the key. Unless it's magically delicious enchanted.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I've reworked the Yabushio flags. All of them have a ratio of 5:8. They are all charged with the Satomi mon in black.

Civil and state flag Image

Civil and state ensign Image

Military flag Image

Military ensign Image
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

I have re-done the official leopard (Waku) flags. I changed the proportions from 1:2 to 5:9, and changed the nuances of blue and yellow.

There is one blue and one yellow flag. I don't know which flag will be used in which situation. I thought the blue one could be a civil flag, while the yellow one could be the state flag. But I might change my mind.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Xing wrote:I have re-done the official leopard (Waku) flags. I changed the proportions from 1:2 to 5:9, and changed the nuances of blue and yellow.

There is one blue and one yellow flag. I don't know which flag will be used in which situation. I thought the blue one could be a civil flag, while the yellow one could be the state flag. But I might change my mind.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I think your avatar needs to change too [;)]
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Yačay256 wrote:Such as flags, seals, mottos, anthems and national floral and fauna. Post your conculture's here!
Hm. To my knowledge, none of the countries of the Eastlands of the World have national anthems or even flags. To say nothing of national birds or crustaceans.

There are, of course, seals. Those are not "symbols" though -- those are culturally accepted and legally defined visual representations of a juridic body. Just like how a signature represents you when you write it on a check, so the Seal of the emperor represents the whole imperium when it's pressed into wax on vellum. And of course, every governmental office in every country, every civic body, every guild, every association and often times, many individuals too, have them. *Here*, we carry a clicky pen so we can sign off on things -- *there*, they carry a seal.

Certain organisations, though, have a particular kind of seal that is called sciuda and is in its generalities very similar to a heraldic device *here*. Usually it is noble families, armies and legions and their suborders that will have such devices. These serve simply as devices of recognition -- not as legal representations. A noble family or even a legion will still have its official seal. A legion will often emblazon its sciudo upon a cloth banner; but these don't work quite like flags. First, they hang from a horizontal rod, much like a drape. Second, they serve as displays of legion honour as much as legion identification, as there will be campaign medals and bannerets attached as well as the main devices.

The only country that I can think of off hand that has anything like a national symbol is Rumnias, and that symbol is an old bronze statue of a wolf and her human cubs, Remulus and Romus.

Other places may offer other possibilities!

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Xing wrote:I have re-done the official leopard (Waku) flags. I changed the proportions from 1:2 to 5:9, and changed the nuances of blue and yellow.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
What did they look like before? Why did you settle on just a single colour for each?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

clawgrip wrote:
Xing wrote:I have re-done the official leopard (Waku) flags.
What did they look like before? Why did you settle on just a single colour for each?
Saves on printing, a blue-on-blue flag. Plus, citizens no longer have to wrack their brains trying to remember which order the colours are named. How much easier would it be if our jolly old tricolour were the "good old red, red and red!"

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

qwed117 wrote:I think your avatar needs to change too
[tick]
clawgrip wrote:What did they look like before?
Like this:

Why did you settle on just a single colour for each?
Because there's at the moment a lack a unicoloured flags in the world. The new (civil) flag of the leopard also reminds of the old flag of the Swedish Archipelago fleet:

Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

I have completed the national anthem of the Leopardish Federation. Or at least, the lyrics. Inspired by the simplicity of the Leopardish flag (and by some genres of contemporary dance music), it consists of a single word repeated throughout the song:
Waraippa waraippa waraippa waraippa
Waraippa waraippa waraippa waraippa

Waraippa waraippa
Waraippa waraippa

Waraippa waraippa
Waraippa waraippa
Waraippa means 'leopard'.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

waraippa streisand

I believe my neighbours are currently playing the type of music you describe.

— ”Very interesting, uh, music!„