Con-Script Development Centre

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Re: Con-Script Development Centre

Post by Hālian »

Yaaaaay [:D]

I'd defintely love to know the correspondence between glyphs and letters/etc. (And to get this in font form of course, if that's possible. [:)])
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

[:(]?
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Sorry dude, my week's been weird and I've literally not sat in front of my PC since I posted the last images.

I'll take a moment before I go to sleep in the morning to knock out an image with the sound equivalences and a short description of how I've used them. As I've said though, I think you might enjoy them most if you make your own choices about what they mean.
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

[:(] *hug?*
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

I made an alphabet(?) which, uh, stacks the consonant of a CV syllable onto the vowel. The maximum syllable it can handle is C(j)V. Currently written left to right, but could easily be mirrored.

Imgur album

I suppose more consonant-y words could be represented by either a) writing the consonant marks before the next syllable onto no stem, b) inserting an ephenthetic <e>, or c) writing the consonant onto a half-length stem (a shorter <e>?)
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

List of conlangs with links!
Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

That script reminds me heavily of Mwakbujat, a script I've posted about a few times:

And a written example from an earlier version of the script that doesnt map exactly to the above, even though that's a more "current" version. I posted it already, though, so it was easier to find than a more accurate example but I think you get the idea.

Carl Miller wrote:[:(] *hug?*
Ha, nothing like that! Just busy. And me being awake weird hours and sleeping through my normal times I'd've been able to mess with it.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:That script reminds me heavily of Mwakbujat, a script I've posted about a few times:

And a written example from an earlier version of the script that doesn't map exactly to the above, even though that's a more "current" version. I posted it already, though, so it was easier to find than a more accurate example but I think you get the idea.
Considering that I probably lurked through this thread at some point, I'll declare Mwakbujat an (unconscious) inspiration for Unnamed Angular Conscript #1. (The angles vs curves do definitely give them a different feel though.)
One question though: is there a fancy word for this kind of script, or is it just a regular alphabet?
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

druneragarsh wrote:One question though: is there a fancy word for this kind of script, or is it just a regular alphabet?
In basic form this is pretty much like an abugida/alphasyllabary, but since consonant signs lack an inherent vowel, it can also be considered an alphabet of sorts, if a non-linear one, in the same way that Korean may be considered an alphabet.
One thing I notice is that although you suggest that the vowel signs are the base to which consonants are attached, both types of sign are, as far as I can tell, just mutually stuck together. The vowels could just as easily be identified as diacritics attached to the top of the consonant signs, especially considering that many of the consonant signs are larger and more structurally complex than the vowel signs. It appears to function nearly identically to the Thaana script, which is hard to classify for the same reasons I stated at the beginning.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

As promised, albeit a bit later than I had suspected:

That is definitely NOT my prettiest chart, but I think it serves relatively well to describe what all the symbols I was using mean. You'll note that there are a bunch of glyphs on the bottom with no note as to what they mean... because I never assigned them anything but I feel like they fit the look and I wanted to include them as well for ya. There are also variant forms of the character with the "horn" or "spike" element incorporated into them which would for use with the vowel signs to indicate /i/ and /u/, for those that don't have a variant included you can either attach one of the free horns that are included next to the +BACK sign to the glyph in question, or you can just plop the "i"-like sign in front of the glyph in question. All the characters are given along with a version with a loop which indicated +VOICE (well except <c> but I think I MAY be able to craft one without the loops if you so desire, but it wasn't working well for me so we'd have to see what I can come up with). Also, you'll note that none of the semivowels have a full glyph, rather they exist as additions that go before or after another character to indicate that the relevant glyph has the semivowel in it between the C and the V portions. For syllables that begin with a semivowel, you can use the null glyph and the appropriate vowel sign. Finally, nasal consonants are indicated as describes previously by appending the +NASAL sign after the plosive consonant that matches the POA of the nasal you desire. Also, I have a vowel killer sign as well as a single diacritic that can be used to indicate that fortition or lenition occurred on the syllable that it modifies. Now, this system isn't perfect by any means and some of the things in my earlier examples were a bit kludged, and a syllable like /mjuːt/ would be pretty long and cumbersome... but there you go!

Lemme know if you need something else, but likewise I'm curious to see how you change it for your purposes!
Spoiler:
This ponderous beasty would be /mjuːt/:
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

Here's what I did with it. (Note that a vowel below a consonant is the second part of a diphthong.)

The word in the upper right corner is "Airumāli".
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Nifty. I'm not sure how I feel about the diacritic appearing under the arc of the <r>, but I'm not sure what a more æstheticly pleasing choice might be. Mayhap you could somehow make use of one of the other unused characters, or perhaps some sort of alternative say to handle the diphthongs so that you could put the dia ritic below. But, if you're pleased, that's what matters isn't it?
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

Updated in the same post to add proper characters for the liquids. [:)]
Last edited by Hālian on 29 Jan 2016 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I think adding in liquid glyphs helps a lot. The example word you have looks a ton better IMO.

As for fonts, I've never been good at that myself. You'd have to try to find a program that'd work for you or find someone who knows more about that than I.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

The Drúnish script:
large version
Patched together from multiple images of my papers, since I suck at drawing on the computer.
The left-hand side has the glyphs required for writing down Drún, and the right-hand side has the additional glyphs for Eyþï, Žilèði, Kixaḷi and Mira. (And Proto-Šile.)
(ê should look more like a mirror image of e)
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I think this script is interesting. The letter forms look plausible as southeast Asian-style letters, but of course it's an alphabet rather than an alphasyllabary. The loops are used effectively rather than excessively, which can very easily make a conscript look artificial. Overall, I like it.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

clawgrip wrote:I think this script is interesting. The letter forms look plausible as southeast Asian-style letters, but of course it's an alphabet rather than an alphasyllabary. The loops are used effectively rather than excessively, which can very easily make a conscript look artificial. Overall, I like it.
Thank you! [:D] Any opinions on the voicing diacritic? I don't quite like <b, š, ŋ, l> yet. A double-loop system for <l> might work, but I haven't the faintest clue how to simplify the glyphs.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

Is this thread a place where we can ask for help to develop a conscript? If so, I'd like to request to work on one, but if not, I don't want to sound silly by rambling on about all the things I like in natscripts for no particular reason.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:Is this thread a place where we can ask for help to develop a conscript? If so, I'd like to request to work on one, but if not, I don't want to sound silly by rambling on about all the things I like in natscripts for no particular reason.
I thought the answer was "yes". I hope it is. I think I probably need help too.
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

eldin raigmore wrote:
HoskhMatriarch wrote:Is this thread a place where we can ask for help to develop a conscript? If so, I'd like to request to work on one, but if not, I don't want to sound silly by rambling on about all the things I like in natscripts for no particular reason.
I thought the answer was "yes". I hope it is. I think I probably need help too.
OK, cool, so I should just request away then. I don't have the phonology 100%, but if I did anything, I'd be taking things out rather than adding things in, so it'd not be a big deal to change things.

Is it possible to make an abugida if you have 14 vowel qualities? I mean, really the length distinction is primary and the quality distinction is secondary (as seen by the long tense vowels retracting to long lax vowels near uvulars), so there's that, which would lower it to 7 or 8, but I don't know any abugidas for languages that have had umlaut and how they handle that. Do you just write vowel diacritics on your vowel diacritics?
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

With a tad of ingenuity I'm sure an abugida of any size of vowel inventory could be made to work. You could create a system of vowel diacritics that merge and/or stack in some way... you could create dummy glyphs that alter the vowel preceding them in some way, you could have different base consonant glyphs for the long and short variants... All things are possible, even if a natlang doesn't do it, it could still end up with something feasible.

Oh, and there's always the option that occurs in many natlangs: a defective script in which some features are underspecified in writing and need context or lexicon knowledge to decipher. It's a pretty naturalistic option, but one that bugs me since I enjoy a 1:1 correspondence in scripts I make.

Post away and I know at least I will comment. [:)]