False cognates

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: False cognates

Post by Shemtov »

On that note ,Cantonese /hyːn³⁵/ Danish <hund> /hun/ both "Dog"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Shemtov wrote: 10 Apr 2019 06:55 On that note ,Cantonese /hyːn³⁵/ Danish <hund> /hun/ both "Dog"
As noted in the previous post, these may be true cognates (Cantonese hyun2 is cognate with Japanese ken, and Danish hund is cognate with Italian cane).
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

GrandPiano wrote: 11 Apr 2019 04:55
Shemtov wrote: 10 Apr 2019 06:55 On that note ,Cantonese /hyːn³⁵/ Danish <hund> /hun/ both "Dog"
As noted in the previous post, these may be true cognates (Cantonese hyun2 is cognate with Japanese ken, and Danish hund is cognate with Italian cane).
The Wiktionary entry doesn't explain how the IE and the ST words. It says that the ST word is probably a Wanderwort with Hmong-Mien and Austronesian, but does not mention how it got to (or from) IE. It seems to be suggesting the possibility, however slight, that PIE word has connections, but may be acknowledging it as a false cognate. Wiktionary gives the alternate theory that PIE *k'wo and *pek'u (ancestor of :deu: <Viech>) go back to a single Pre-PIE root.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

just found this:

Vietnamese hố "hole,pit" v.s. English hole

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/hố#Vietnamese

also Vietnamese lỗ "hole" v.s. Standard German Loch "hole, pit"

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/lỗ
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Shemtov wrote: 11 Apr 2019 06:50
GrandPiano wrote: 11 Apr 2019 04:55
The Wiktionary entry doesn't explain how the IE and the ST words. It says that the ST word is probably a Wanderwort with Hmong-Mien and Austronesian, but does not mention how it got to (or from) IE. It seems to be suggesting the possibility, however slight, that PIE word has connections, but may be acknowledging it as a false cognate. Wiktionary gives the alternate theory that PIE *k'wo and *pek'u (ancestor of :deu: <Viech>) go back to a single Pre-PIE root.
I was just saying that they may be related. It seems like we don’t know for sure whether they are.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

This are racist slurs, for a group that isn't mine but when I learned they weren't related, it blew my mind, so please don't shoot me:
:eng:Ching-Chong; Chink; Both racist slurs for East Asians. I always thought the latter was a corruption of the first syllable of the former- my English doesn't allow coda /ŋ/, but rather it's pronounced as [ŋğ̚] (or it could be a post-stopped /ŋ/, not sure) so I though <Chink> came from speakers of similar dialects devoicing the /g/ of <Ching>, but it comes from racists saying "Their eyes look like chinks in a wall"
-JRR Tolkien
Zekoslav
sinic
sinic

Post by Zekoslav »

I've always thought it was some kind of derogatory deformation of "Chinese". These are really common in the Balkans (for neighboring peoples, that is...)
Languages:
:hrv: [:D], :bih: :srb: [;)], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:|], :lat: [:(], :deu: [:'(]

A linguistics enthusiast who occasionally frequents the CBB.

- Guide to Slavic accentuation
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Zekoslav wrote: 21 May 2019 15:28 I've always thought it was some kind of derogatory deformation of "Chinese". These are really common in the Balkans (for neighboring peoples, that is...)
I thought that too, but then I realized "then where does the velar(s) come from?"
-JRR Tolkien
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Post by yangfiretiger121 »

Shemtov wrote: 21 May 2019 03:22 This are racist slurs, for a group that isn't mine but when I learned they weren't related, it blew my mind, so please don't shoot me:
:eng:Ching-Chong; Chink; Both racist slurs for East Asians. I always thought the latter was a corruption of the first syllable of the former- my English doesn't allow coda /ŋ/, but rather it's pronounced as [ŋğ̚] (or it could be a post-stopped /ŋ/, not sure) so I though <Chink> came from speakers of similar dialects devoicing the /g/ of <Ching>, but it comes from racists saying "Their eyes look like chinks in a wall"
You, sir, are incorrect. English has three pronunciations for the velar nasal [ŋ] (cf. sing), [ŋk] (cf. sink), and [ŋg] (cf. finger).
Alien conlangs (Font may be needed for Vai symbols)
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

yangfiretiger121 wrote: 28 May 2019 17:27
Shemtov wrote: 21 May 2019 03:22 This are racist slurs, for a group that isn't mine but when I learned they weren't related, it blew my mind, so please don't shoot me:
You, sir, are incorrect. English has three pronunciations for the velar nasal [ŋ] (cf. sing), [ŋk] (cf. sink), and [ŋg] (cf. finger).
No, I'm talking about my dialect, and I know there are other dialects that do it, where [ŋ] doesn't exist, it's always [ŋg], perhaps [ŋˑg], though the form [ŋˑg]] is not unknown, especially before a stop or affricate. English is not monolithic.
-JRR Tolkien
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Post by yangfiretiger121 »

Shemtov wrote: 28 May 2019 23:46
yangfiretiger121 wrote: 28 May 2019 17:27
No, I'm talking about my dialect, and I know there are other dialects that do it, where [ŋ] doesn't exist, it's always [ŋg], perhaps [ŋˑg], though the form [ŋˑg]] is not unknown, especially before a stop or affricate. English is not monolithic.
I, really, oughta read stuff closer before posting as I missed "my."
Alien conlangs (Font may be needed for Vai symbols)
Vlürch
greek
greek

Post by Vlürch »

:eng: quick
Old Chinese /*qʰʷaːɡ/ - quickly, suddenly

Maybe it's a bit of a stretch, but they do have similar meanings and velars and uvulars aren't that different. Also, even though I don't know of one, I wouldn't be too surprised if there was some English dialect where "quick" is pronounced [kwɑːk] or [kwæk]; I mean, if [ɪ] -> [æ] can happen before /ŋ/ for some people, why not before /k/ since it's also velar?
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Although both of these words ultimately derive their first element from the same Indo-European root, they both derive it from different words in Latin and so I think they still count as false cognates

:bra: para "for" (from Latin per + ad)
:esp: para "for" (from Latin pro + ad)
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

just found this:

Aymara malku "king" v.s. the word for "king" in Semitic languages e.g. Hebrew מֶלֶךְ‏ (mélekh) "king" and Arabic مَلِك (malik) "king"
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

k1234567890y wrote: 19 Jun 2019 08:56 just found this:

Aymara malku "king" v.s. the word for "king" in Semitic languages e.g. Hebrew מֶלֶךְ‏ (mélekh) "king" and Arabic مَلِك (malik) "king"
Yes, I once found this in a list of bogus etymologies adduced as evidence for Atlantis. Another example is Nahuatl teotl 'god' vs. Latin deus and Greek theos - the latter two being also a pair of false cognates.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Japanese 治す(naosu) "to cure, to heal" v.s. English nurse
WeepingElf wrote: 20 Jun 2019 18:33

Yes, I once found this in a list of bogus etymologies adduced as evidence for Atlantis. Another example is Nahuatl teotl 'god' vs. Latin deus and Greek theos - the latter two being also a pair of false cognates.
ok thanks for telling (:
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

k1234567890y wrote: 24 Jun 2019 19:48 Japanese 治す(naosu) "to cure, to heal" v.s. English nurse

ok thanks for telling (:
This becomes evident once you know the Indo-European sound correspondences - an initial /d/ in Latin never corresponds to a Greek /th/. The PIE antecedents are *deiwos for deus and *dhesos for theos. That's two different roots; in PIE, *d and *dh are two distinct phonemes which have nothing more to do with each other than either does with *t. Indeed, each of the two words has cognates in the other language: the Greek cognate of Latin deus is the name Zeus, and the Latin cognate of Greek theos is the fes- in the word festus, the source of English feast.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

English LOL v.s. Dutch lol "fun"(attested as early as 1560s) v.s. Welsh lol "nonsense, ridiculous"
WeepingElf wrote: 28 Jun 2019 14:34
k1234567890y wrote: 24 Jun 2019 19:48 Japanese 治す(naosu) "to cure, to heal" v.s. English nurse

ok thanks for telling (:
This becomes evident once you know the Indo-European sound correspondences - an initial /d/ in Latin never corresponds to a Greek /th/. The PIE antecedents are *deiwos for deus and *dhesos for theos. That's two different roots; in PIE, *d and *dh are two distinct phonemes which have nothing more to do with each other than either does with *t. Indeed, each of the two words has cognates in the other language: the Greek cognate of Latin deus is the name Zeus, and the Latin cognate of Greek theos is the fes- in the word festus, the source of English feast.
ok (:
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

In wordlists of North Bougainville languages, "boat" is almost always given as boato.

Most words were given in the "definite" (it's not actually a definite, but 1950s missionaries were bad at naming things -- words can take the "definite" and the "indefinite" at the same time! unfortunately, they were also bad at describing things, so I don't think anyone's sure what it is), and the "definite article" is /bo-/. The root is just /ato/.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

:hun: Nő "Woman" vs. the Mandarin, Shanghainese and Xiang pronounciation (without tones) of :chn: 女 "Female", /ny/
-JRR Tolkien