How common are these vowels

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Teck
rupestrian
rupestrian

How common are these vowels

Post by Teck »

I was wondering how common creaky and nasalized vowels are and whether there are any languages that have short, long, nasalized and creaky vowels; or if there are any combinations with only three possible?
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: How common are these vowels

Post by Creyeditor »

phoible.org lists 7 languages that have creaky voiced nasalized vowels /ã̰/ or /ḭ̃/. None of them has a length contrast in vowels. There are two languages that have long creaky voiced /ḭː/. A bunch of languages (approx. hundred) have long nasalized vowels. So from the combinations you listed long nasalized vowels are most common I guess, but that might just be because creaky voice in general is rather rare.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Teck wrote: 14 Dec 2019 18:17 I was wondering how common creaky and nasalized vowels are and whether there are any languages that have short, long, nasalized and creaky vowels?
According to WALS, it seems that nasal vowels contrast with oral vowels in around 25% of languages.

Jalapa Mazatec contrasts modal voice, creaky voice and breathy voice on all five vowels, and each of those sets also have a contrastive nasal counterpart. Creaky voice, though, seems to be quite rare (it seems that the eastern Oto-Manguean is the main group that gets mentions as containing them as a contrastive feature), although it does co-occur alongside tone in languages like Burmese, and, I think, Tuvan(?), but in those languages creaky voice isn't contrastive in and of itself (in Burmese, for example, it occurs alongside slight vowel lengthening and a high-falling tone).

Having a four-way distinction between short, long, nasalised and creaky wouldn't seem all that weird to me [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Just wanted to mention that for some languages the different dimensions (length, creaky voice, nasality) are independent, so you get combinations of these. But others don't, so it's up to you.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

sangi39 wrote: 14 Dec 2019 18:57
Teck wrote: 14 Dec 2019 18:17 I was wondering how common creaky and nasalized vowels are and whether there are any languages that have short, long, nasalized and creaky vowels?
According to WALS, it seems that nasal vowels contrast with oral vowels in around 25% of languages.

Jalapa Mazatec contrasts modal voice, creaky voice and breathy voice on all five vowels, and each of those sets also have a contrastive nasal counterpart. Creaky voice, though, seems to be quite rare (it seems that the eastern Oto-Manguean is the main group that gets mentions as containing them as a contrastive feature), although it does co-occur alongside tone in languages like Burmese, and, I think, Tuvan(?), but in those languages creaky voice isn't contrastive in and of itself (in Burmese, for example, it occurs alongside slight vowel lengthening and a high-falling tone).

Having a four-way distinction between short, long, nasalised and creaky wouldn't seem all that weird to me [:)]
The modal phonation varies per language. A phonation that might be creaky in one language is modal in another, so there might be reason to include languages with breathy-modal phonation systems as equivalent (and those are common as well). I do suspect however, it would be unusual to contrast short, long, nasalized and creaky directly; it might be more reasonable to contrast short and long, and modal, modal nasalized, and creaky, that is having 6 different vowel series.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Teck
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Teck »

Thank you everyone for the input! I greatly appreciate it!
qwed117 wrote: 15 Dec 2019 06:10
sangi39 wrote: 14 Dec 2019 18:57

Jalapa Mazatec contrasts modal voice, creaky voice and breathy voice on all five vowels, and each of those sets also have a contrastive nasal counterpart. Creaky voice, though, seems to be quite rare (it seems that the eastern Oto-Manguean is the main group that gets mentions as containing them as a contrastive feature), although it does co-occur alongside tone in languages like Burmese, and, I think, Tuvan(?), but in those languages, creaky voice isn't contrastive in and of itself (in Burmese, for example, it occurs alongside slight vowel lengthening and a high-falling tone).

The modal phonation varies per language. A phonation that might be creaky in one language is modal in another, so there might be reason to include languages with breathy-modal phonation systems as equivalent (and those are common as well). I do suspect however, it would be unusual to contrast short, long, nasalized and creaky directly; it might be more reasonable to contrast short and long, and modal, modal nasalized, and creaky, that is having 6 different vowel series.
I should have been clearer on what I wanted to do to start with, but if I understand you, what you're saying is kind of what I was planning.

What I was thinking of having as contrasts were (with /e/ as example): /e/, /ẽ/, /ḛ/, /e:/, /ẽ:/, /ḛ:/

So this would be naturalistic?