Damta: A collaborative world

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Damta: A collaborative world

Post by Khemehekis »

k1234567890y wrote: 02 Mar 2020 07:44 ok (: not bad
Thanks.
and I guess Kankonian alphabet evolved from a logographic system?
It probably would have, although I haven't created an ancestor alphabet.
who would first invented writing systems in Damta?
Ooh! Good question!

Probably some ancient civilization that hasn't been created yet.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

I made an abugida for Proto-Bokisig quite a while back (still quite undeveloped as I've not worked anymore on it really; also, the link is dead); I would date this to around PS8500. I have reuploaded the short draft file here, but it will only be up for 30 days.

I assume this syllabary will be the basis for an alphabet for later Bokisig languages once the syllabary no longer fits the phonotactics at all - which might already happen at the Classical Stage). For this Classical Stage, I've been drawing up paradigms, and regularizing it all might prove a bit difficult, but there will be a post about it at some point!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

". . . do show that voicing has changed".

I believe you mean ". . . to show that voicing has changed".

The glyphs are quite simple, but they work! I'm sure they'll evolve into lots of different abugidas, alphabets, and abjads, given time.
♂♥♂♀

brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Khemehekis wrote: 02 Mar 2020 16:51 ". . . do show that voicing has changed".

I believe you mean ". . . to show that voicing has changed".

The glyphs are quite simple, but they work! I'm sure they'll evolve into lots of different abugidas, alphabets, and abjads, given time.
Thanks for spotting the mistake! Yes, they are simple, and I unfortuntely can't really do complex ones - if somebody else comes up with other scripts I would also be happy to incorporate some of those glyphs [:D]

I am really eager to get back into Damta, and am currently adding some stuff to the Bokisig history pages on the wikia.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I'm still not dead. Despite corona virus now prowling about. I have finally gotten a reprieve from life a bit (see previous sentence) and can put some time into this again. As such, I've added rivers to our glorious (?) little world.
https://flic.kr/p/2iGw648
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Nachtuil wrote: 22 Mar 2020 05:12 As such, I've added rivers to our glorious (?) little world.
Yay!

I guess I know where the river-centered Txabao descendants will be settling.
♂♥♂♀

Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Before too much time passes, do you think there should be any more major rivers or is this pretty good to your eyes? I feel as though I should add some more in the north actually. Even though it is arctic or tundra I notice rivers still exist in such regions.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Nachtuil wrote: 22 Mar 2020 19:41 Before too much time passes, do you think there should be any more major rivers or is this pretty good to your eyes? I feel as though I should add some more in the north actually. Even though it is arctic or tundra I notice rivers still exist in such regions.
sure

we should give some major rivers

and yeah, we have things like the Ob river and the Yenisei river
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
jimydog000
greek
greek

Post by jimydog000 »

How big is this world?
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

jimydog000 wrote: 23 Mar 2020 06:35 How big is this world?
guess it is as big as our world aka this is an alternative Earth.

do you want to join? (:
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

k1234567890y wrote: 23 Mar 2020 07:08
jimydog000 wrote: 23 Mar 2020 06:35 How big is this world?
guess it is as big as our world aka this is an alternative Earth.
Yeah, the year is the same length as Earth's year too.
♂♥♂♀

brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Woo, glad you're back, Nachtuil, and have brought us a map!

Would it be possible to add some more rivers in E4? I can't see any there, and feel like at least the savannah parts should have some, though some of them may also be seasonal.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I added in all the nouns, verbs, and adjectives from the Swadesh List, and Txabao is now up to 417 words.
♂♥♂♀

Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Here is an update. I diverted a southern river into E4 so that it has a major river basin and added more northern rivers. The largest river system on the map is on the north west part of the continent. It drains from parts of 2E to 2G and some of 1G. I imagine that there are more smaller rivers or creeks that are not marked at this resolution of the map but this includes all the 'major' or 'important' ones.

https://flic.kr/p/2iLjxem

Khemehekis wrote: 31 Mar 2020 14:15 I added in all the nouns, verbs, and adjectives from the Swadesh List, and Txabao is now up to 417 words.
I'm so excited by that :) Haha.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Nachtuil wrote: 31 Mar 2020 14:15
Khemehekis wrote: I added in all the nouns, verbs, and adjectives from the Swadesh List, and Txabao is now up to 417 words.
I'm so excited by that :) Haha.
Heehee. Knew you would be.

I added a few more new words today, including some metals.

EDIT: I've added some body parts. Now it's up to 500.

Also: Just added a word for owl (mubu) so you can have a Txabao name: Kxunmubu.
♂♥♂♀

brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Once again great work on the map, Nachtuil!

I've started posting my lang, now renamed Early Bokisig (since the "proto" label didn't really fit anymore, given the time I've been spending developing that lang :D ), on conworkshop (cws), which I mostly find handy for the dictionary, which can be found here . Once I've gotten all words in, I hope to also export the dictionary and put it on the wikia.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

brblues wrote: 05 Apr 2020 18:28 Once again great work on the map, Nachtuil!

I've started posting my lang, now renamed Early Bokisig (since the "proto" label didn't really fit anymore, given the time I've been spending developing that lang :D ), on conworkshop (cws), which I mostly find handy for the dictionary, which can be found here . Once I've gotten all words in, I hope to also export the dictionary and put it on the wikia.
Interesting -- I see you have the same word for "suppression" as you do for "struggle against evil".
♂♥♂♀

brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Apr 2020 18:34
brblues wrote: 05 Apr 2020 18:28 Once again great work on the map, Nachtuil!

Interesting -- I see you have the same word for "suppression" as you do for "struggle against evil".
Yes, and that word actually has got a whole lot to do with your lot ;) "suppression" here refers to suppressing a revolt, and the Early Bokisig term etymologically consists of a modifier derived from the same root as the lative case (i.e. "towards" something) as well as the root noun "fight". It is interpreted as "struggle to arrive back at the established order", by means of fighting towards it - after all, it's nicer to fight for something or towards something than simply against something!

The word was mostly used to refer to the wars against the invading /neduki/, who had abolished the status quo, to which my people wanted to get back urgently - once they had reclaimed their lands, however, their whole way of life had changed, but that's another story altogether :mrgreen:

It later then also came to be used for suppressing revolts by any seditious elements, and also somewhat generalised - "struggle against evil" may sound a tiny bit hyperbolical, but it refers to basically any "good fight".
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

brblues wrote: 05 Apr 2020 18:58
Khemehekis wrote: 05 Apr 2020 18:34 Interesting -- I see you have the same word for "suppression" as you do for "struggle against evil".
Yes, and that word actually has got a whole lot to do with your lot ;) "suppression" here refers to suppressing a revolt, and the Early Bokisig term etymologically consists of a modifier derived from the same root as the lative case (i.e. "towards" something) as well as the root noun "fight". It is interpreted as "struggle to arrive back at the established order", by means of fighting towards it - after all, it's nicer to fight for something or towards something than simply against something!

The word was mostly used to refer to the wars against the invading /neduki/, who had abolished the status quo, to which my people wanted to get back urgently - once they had reclaimed their lands, however, their whole way of life had changed, but that's another story altogether :mrgreen:

It later then also came to be used for suppressing revolts by any seditious elements, and also somewhat generalised - "struggle against evil" may sound a tiny bit hyperbolical, but it refers to basically any "good fight".
Wow. [O.O]

I see you have a great story behind that polysemy!

The Neduki and the Bokisig -- like coffee and water.
♂♥♂♀

brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

I've entered etymologies for almost all entries in the dictionary on CWS so far, except of course for roots. Now that you got around 500 words, the etymology "Loan from Txabao" may also appear more frequently [:D]