Damta: A collaborative world

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Damta: A collaborative world

Post by Khemehekis »

brblues wrote: 06 Apr 2020 18:29 Now that you got around 500 words, the etymology "Loan from Txabao" may also appear more frequently [:D]
Yayyyyyy!!!!

By the way, I'm now up to 627 words. A few days ago I reached the 418 mark. So my lexicon has "sesquipled" over the past few days.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I've just been doing some updates on the Wiki. I added a world map page with the current world map uploaded and a time line page. I'm just digging through this thread in an attempt to fill in details though its a lot of reading now hahah. I don't know if posting the image at true size on the wiki will be an issue or not. I forget the limits but I know some exist as to how much we can upload so for any images say, in the timeline page, I'll be happy to rescale them to a small but still usable size.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I updated the timeline. Please take a look to see what you think and add things. I'm not sure what the best approach will be for us, if not this list format perhaps a table. The tables on the site editor have the disadvantage that editing existing text is tricky in that it is easy to just overwrite the whole box so I chose this list format.

The AG timeline has me thinking what the power source that is so important should be. I have been thinking perhaps it was nuclear power and somehow this allowed significant jumps forward in technology but maybe the combustion engine or steam engine would be more appropriate. I could go either way and if it is nuclear, am happy to bump back the AG year 0. I still think about the original idea of this world having post modern or space age history so maybe nuclear is far more significant for that, especially thousands of years forward. (into the future I mean). What do you guys think?

Regarding AG, I'm quite happy if it plays second fiddle to PS, especially for more pre modern events. So basically don't feel pressure to use it unless you want to.
https://damta.fandom.com/wiki/Historical_Timeline
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I've been doing some organisation for the front page. https://damta.fandom.com/wiki/Damta_Wiki
I've created a few landing pages for later expansion and interlinking. I.... don't know if Miranda will ever come back but I added a page for the Lúume people too.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

I will take a look at the timeline and hopefully be able to update some stuff about the Bokisig. If a table doesn't work, maybe we could add stuff regarding different regions in different colours (if that's possible)? I'll leave the decision about the modern power source up to you guys cause at my current rate I won't be leaving the bronze age any time soon [:D]

EDIT: It seems different colours are at least not planned for in the standard user interface of fandom-wiki...

I've updated the info on the timeline concerning Bokisig since most things have changed since my timeline post, and linked to some parts of my more detailed entry on Bokisig history! I also deleted the PS10,000 event for the Bokisig without having any replacement as I've not yet thought so far ahead now.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Yeah it's unfortunate. I guess one thing we could do is keep notes in the main timeline brief and important and leave full histories to dedicated pages. I have not looked into the details but something like the tables available to wikipedia would be great.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

The wiki is much improved, especially the front page. One request: Do you think you could rename the Txabao language family to the Txabaoic language family?
Nachtuil wrote: 17 Apr 2020 00:07 The AG timeline has me thinking what the power source that is so important should be. I have been thinking perhaps it was nuclear power and somehow this allowed significant jumps forward in technology but maybe the combustion engine or steam engine would be more appropriate. I could go either way and if it is nuclear, am happy to bump back the AG year 0. I still think about the original idea of this world having post modern or space age history so maybe nuclear is far more significant for that, especially thousands of years forward. (into the future I mean). What do you guys think?
I guess if nuclear power predated the combustion engine and steam engine, chemistry would advance sooner (in comparison to other sciences) on Damta than it did in Earth's history. Powerful microscopes could do the trick. Do all of you think it possible that the development of the periodic table could predate the internal combustion engine?
♂♥♂♀

brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Nachtuil wrote: 18 Apr 2020 19:28 Yeah it's unfortunate. I guess one thing we could do is keep notes in the main timeline brief and important and leave full histories to dedicated pages. I have not looked into the details but something like the tables available to wikipedia would be great.

That would be a possibility, especially cause one of the great things about wikis is all the interlinks. I've already linked to relevant chapters on my history page, and would keep doing so.

Regarding the tables, ky has posted something about how it works, I've just not looked into it yet, as learning such stuff always takes a bit of time and headspace!

My Early Bokisig dictionary on conworkshop has now at least passed the 200-milestones.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Khemehekis wrote: 18 Apr 2020 20:04 The wiki is much improved, especially the front page. One request: Do you think you could rename the Txabao language family to the Txabaoic language family?
Done with pleasure! :)
Khemehekis wrote: 18 Apr 2020 20:04 I guess if nuclear power predated the combustion engine and steam engine, chemistry would advance sooner (in comparison to other sciences) on Damta than it did in Earth's history. Powerful microscopes could do the trick. Do all of you think it possible that the development of the periodic table could predate the internal combustion engine?
Hmm it is possible. Nuclear before steam seems unlikely since conventional Earth based nuclear power production uses steam turbines. Maybe if nuclear solved power problem the south continent had. Perhaps a date based on the first manned space flight would be more relevant to the "future" part of our universe. Perhaps something like "Orbit Reached: OR" is better. If so I'll push it back a few hundred years and adjust dates accordingly. That would have a very discrete start point. I promise to resist fiddling with it further haha. What do you think?
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

If you agree, I can have a go at trying to flesh out the mythical city, which would mean it'd be a Bokisig myth?
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

brblues wrote: 19 Apr 2020 14:00 If you agree, I can have a go at trying to flesh out the mythical city, which would mean it'd be a Bokisig myth?

That works for me. Like, the city is first attested in Bokisig writing?
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Nachtuil wrote: 19 Apr 2020 22:31
brblues wrote: 19 Apr 2020 14:00 If you agree, I can have a go at trying to flesh out the mythical city, which would mean it'd be a Bokisig myth?

That works for me. Like, the city is first attested in Bokisig writing?
Yes, but it doesn't even have to be; there could still be attestations, even in earlier ones, elsewhere. I'd just make some mythology for it, leaving it open whether the city actually existed, although the Bokisig of the bronze time and possibly later certainly believe in it.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

That works for me as well :)
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I was just thinking of customs the desert tribes may have. What if there was a tradition of "sky burial" or "silent towers" where basically you put a dead body up high in a specially made tower or on a rock specifically for scavenging birds to consume? The idea being that the body should not be buried and it is a kind of gift to the birds. If not for an existing culture maybe an additional one or just a specific religion shared by several cultures. Maybe just a sect I don't know.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Nachtuil wrote: 21 Apr 2020 02:53 I was just thinking of customs the desert tribes may have. What if there was a tradition of "sky burial" or "silent towers" where basically you put a dead body up high in a specially made tower or on a rock specifically for scavenging birds to consume? The idea being that the body should not be buried and it is a kind of gift to the birds. If not for an existing culture maybe an additional one or just a specific religion shared by several cultures. Maybe just a sect I don't know.
that sounds nice and interesting! mummification of the dead can be another choice for their funeral practices.

also I think they would use soil instead of wood for traditional architecture.

oases can play an important role in their lives, btw.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Those could work too. :) I was thinking of a general cultural tradition with it. I've added a page for it though.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Maybe the Prömkhongkhong (the zebu pastoralists) can practice sky burials like the Zoroastrians. I'll probably have the Txabao practice cremation so their language can have two words for "ashes".
♂♥♂♀

Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Khemehekis wrote: 23 Apr 2020 02:24 Maybe the Prömkhongkhong (the zebu pastoralists) can practice sky burials like the Zoroastrians. I'll probably have the Txabao practice cremation so their language can have two words for "ashes".
That would be really cool :)
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

I would also gladly loan the word for "ashes (cremated remains)" then in case the practice is also adopted by some of my people!

On the historical timeline page, I've added a link to the newly created page for our mythical city, and I've already entered the earliest Bokisig myth about the city. More comments, and a glossed translation of the myth (my first full in-world text in Early Bokisig!) are to follow. Feel free to add your own myths for that city if you want, I've used the Heading 2 style for the "In Early Bokisig mythology" heading, so you can also add "In Txabao mythology" etc as a Heading 2 and then put it on the same page :)
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

have not done Damta things recently, maybe I should do Damta things more?
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.