CBB Conlang Relay XII - FINISHED!!

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
sasasha
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: CBB Conlang Relay XII - SIGNUPS OPEN

Post by sasasha »

Assuming it is not a prerequisite to be coming at this with a massively developed conlang, I'd like in on this. I need some motivation to keep going with my most recent project. I'd like to do it with Peoppaeq.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

sasasha wrote: 08 Jul 2020 22:18 Assuming it is not a prerequisite to be coming at this with a massively developed conlang, I'd like in on this. I need some motivation to keep going with my most recent project. I'd like to do it with Peoppaeq.
You can absolutely join—I've myself used several relays as an excuse to flesh out ny languages! [:D]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Yrusia
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Yrusia »

I'd love to join! I'll either be using Ottóxsh Gétkerna or (more likely) Modern Tuókéné
sasasha
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sasasha »

Jackk wrote: 08 Jul 2020 22:21
sasasha wrote: 08 Jul 2020 22:18 Assuming it is not a prerequisite to be coming at this with a massively developed conlang, I'd like in on this. I need some motivation to keep going with my most recent project. I'd like to do it with Peoppaeq.
You can absolutely join—I've myself used several relays as an excuse to flesh out ny languages! [:D]
Great! Thanks.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Re: CBB Conlang Relay XII - SIGNUPS OPEN - STARTING Saturday 11th July

Post by brblues »

I want to take part, with either Bokisig (Early or Classical, depending on how early or late it'll be my turn), or possibly Mbath, a new lang that at the moment doesn't really have that much grammar, and basically zero vocab.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

brblues wrote: 09 Jul 2020 12:48 I want to take part, with either Bokisig (Early or Classical, depending on how early or late it'll be my turn), or possibly Mbath, a new lang that at the moment doesn't really have that much grammar, and basically zero vocab.
Welcome aboard—we're now only two signups away from splitting into two rings! 😮
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

I suppose I may as well try one of these, now that I have a conlang with a non-zero amount of vocabulary...

The thing that's always puzzled me, though, is how do you put enough grammar to translate a decent-sized text into less than a page of description, without having to just walk the person through clause by clause, spoonfeeding them? Do you just have to hope you get lucky with what's in the text, that it's nothing that happens to be complicated in your language?
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Salmoneus wrote: 09 Jul 2020 17:55 I suppose I may as well try one of these, now that I have a conlang with a non-zero amount of vocabulary...

The thing that's always puzzled me, though, is how do you put enough grammar to translate a decent-sized text into less than a page of description, without having to just walk the person through clause by clause, spoonfeeding them? Do you just have to hope you get lucky with what's in the text, that it's nothing that happens to be complicated in your language?
Welcome! The first time is always exciting. [:D] There is an art to working out exactly what you need to describe about your conlang so that the person after you ends up with a fun puzzle of reasonable difficulty. Something I will do if there's a particularly-idiosyncratic construction is describe the construction in general and then give a couple of examples of the construction using random words not actually in the text.

I think ideally it shouldn't be very difficult to get from the text to an interlinear gloss; most of the trickiness ought probably to come in working out how to get from the gloss to something vaguely reasonable in English! [:D] But of course your mileage may vary.

What is the language you're going to be using called?
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

I will add, sometimes what feels to you like spoonfeeding may be surprisingly opaque to the person after you—I've been on both sides of that phenomenon myself (in the case of me not understand something that should have been doable, mostly due to my own lack of reading comprehension, I will admit [xD] ).

As for practical advice, I believe some of the previous relays (link in the original post) have copies of people's torches, so maybe that will help give an idea of what people usually include in their descriptions.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Jackk wrote: 08 Jul 2020 17:53
shimobaatar wrote: 08 Jul 2020 17:43 I'd like to join in as well, probably with Y²KS again. If possible, I'd prefer to go before the end of July.
No problem - you can even go first! [:D]
Ah, thank you! Looking forward to working with Boral. [:)]
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

shimobaatar wrote: 09 Jul 2020 18:22
Jackk wrote: 08 Jul 2020 17:53
shimobaatar wrote: 08 Jul 2020 17:43 I'd like to join in as well, probably with Y²KS again. If possible, I'd prefer to go before the end of July.
No problem - you can even go first! [:D]
Ah, thank you! Looking forward to working with Boral. [:)]
Thank you! [<3]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Salmoneus wrote: 09 Jul 2020 17:55 The thing that's always puzzled me, though, is how do you put enough grammar to translate a decent-sized text into less than a page of description, without having to just walk the person through clause by clause, spoonfeeding them? Do you just have to hope you get lucky with what's in the text, that it's nothing that happens to be complicated in your language?
I'll add to what the others have said that there isn't a hard length limit on the grammar description. Obviously, it can't be a book, but I doubt most torches are "less than a page". The two descriptions I've written for Silvish were 2,000 words and 2,200 words, including a glossary and stripped-down declension tables.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Dormouse559 wrote: 09 Jul 2020 18:41 I'll add to what the others have said that there isn't a hard length limit on the grammar description. Obviously, it can't be a book, but I doubt most torches are "less than a page". The two descriptions I've written for Silvish were 2,000 and 2,200 words.
An excellent point—the last two torches I've received have been 6k and 1.2k words long. My torches are probably shorter than average, since Boral is an Indo-European language and so I can assume a decent anount of shared context with English
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

In with Speedlang
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

re: relay grammars: I think it's also okay to underspecify things where you're confident context will be sufficient for the recipient. They're "just" translating, so they don't necessarily need to know all the underlying rules. I definitely cut things down to the bare minimum and gloss over fine distinctions where they aren't needed for understanding the text.

(that being said, every relay I feel like I have this nice overview with a simple grammar and straightforward examples that cover everything... and then down at the end it's like, "also here's some weird constructions I won't even try to justify". It happens.)
Jackk
roman
roman

CBB Conlang Relay XII - SIGNUPS OPEN - STARTING Saturday 11th July - TWO RINGS

Post by Jackk »

:!: UPDATE :!:
We now have enough participants for two rings! I have also added approximate dates so people can more easily tell if they need to ask to be rearranged.
ixals wrote: 09 Jul 2020 20:57 In with Speedlang
Welcome aboard!
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Jackk wrote: 09 Jul 2020 18:04 What is the language you're going to be using called?
Old Wenthish.

EDIT: regarding timing: aside from the usual provisos I'm sure everyone has about things coming up unexpectedly - and bear in mind also that I've not done this before so we'll have to see how long it takes - I'm aware that I'm going to have considerably less free time in the week of the 27th onward. So if everything runs very late, I may also run late. But hopefully this won't be a problem.

Thanks for the guidance on grammar length.
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Salmoneus wrote: 09 Jul 2020 22:20 Jackk wrote: ↑
Today, 17:04
What is the language you're going to be using called?

Old Wenthish.
Cheers!
Salmoneus wrote: 09 Jul 2020 22:20 EDIT: regarding timing: aside from the usual provisos I'm sure everyone has about things coming up unexpectedly - and bear in mind also that I've not done this before so we'll have to see how long it takes - I'm aware that I'm going to have considerably less free time in the week of the 27th onward. So if everything runs very late, I may also run late. But hopefully this won't be a problem.

Thanks for the guidance on grammar length.
No problem—thanks for the heads-up. [+1]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Re: CBB Conlang Relay XII - SIGNUPS OPEN - STARTING Saturday 11th July - TWO RINGS

Post by Frislander »

I'd better throw my hat into the ring with Asta, happy to be stuck on the end of ring 1 if that's OK.
cedh
MVP
MVP

Re: CBB Conlang Relay XII - SIGNUPS OPEN - STARTING Saturday 11th July - TWO RINGS

Post by cedh »

I would love to translate out of Asta, if the schedule works for that. Into which language though...? Lerudųrunį probably won't be up for the challenge in time, so I may have to use one of Ronc Tyu, Buruya Nzaysa, or Ndok Aisô as a fallback.