Warning: Wild Donkeys!

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Dormouse559

Warning: Wild Donkeys!

Post by Dormouse559 »

This is an edited version of a sign I saw at 1:00 in this video.

:eng: English
Warning for tourists: The donkeys are wild and can be very dangerous! They may fight each other when they are eating or mating! You could easily be seriously injured! Elderly people and parents, use care! Keep dogs away from the donkeys!

Image Silvish

Avertissemen au ttouristo : Lo-z anno i sson saûvajho e-y i ppont ettre bin danjhiryeu ! I sse poryon batre lo-z un kontra lo-z aûtro en manjhan o-v en s' akoblan ! Vou vvou pporyê bin férï gravamen bleçê ! K' la vyeôta e lou pparen i prenyön guarda ! Kordê lou ççhen dî-z anno !

Glosses

Avertissemen au ttouristo : Lo-z anno i sson saûvajho e-y i ppont ettre bin danjhiryeu !
[ʔa.vɛʁ.tis.səˈmɛŋ ʔɑt.tuˈʁi.stə | ləˈzɑn.nə ʔis.sɔ̃n.sɑˈva.ʒə ʔe.jip.pɔ̃ˈtɛt.tʁə bɛ̃n.dɑ̃ɲ̟.ʒiˈʁjø]
warning to.DEF.M.C PL-tourist-ACC | DEF-M.C-PL donkey 3.NOM PL-be.3P wild-M.C and 3 PL-be_able.3P be-INF very dangerous.M.C

Warning for tourists: The donkeys are wild and can be very dangerous!

I sse poryon batre lo-z un kontra lo-z aûtro en manjhan o-v en s' akoblan !
[is.se.pˈəʁjɔ̃ŋ ˈba.tʁə ləˈzœ̃ŋ ˈkɔ̃n.tʁa ləˈzɑː.tʁə ʔɛ̃m.mɑ̃ˈʒɑ̃ŋ o.vɛ̃n.sa.kəˈblɑ̃ŋ]
3 PL-3.REFL be_able.COND-3P fight-INF DEF-PL one against DEF-PL other in eat-PRSP or in 3.REFL mate-PRSP

They may fight each other when they are eating or mating!

Vou vvou pporyê bin férï gravamen bleçê !
[vuv.vup.pəˈʁjɛː ˈbɛ̃ŋ ˈfe.ʁi gʁa.vaˈmɛ̃ŋ bləˈʃɛː]
2P 2P be_able.COND-2P easily make-INF seriously injure-INF

You could easily be seriously injured!

K' la vyeôta e lou pparen i prenyön guarda !
[klaˈvjœː.ta ʔe.lup.paˈʁɛ̃ŋ ʔiˈpʁɛ.ɲˑŋ̩ ˈʒɑʁ.da]
SBRD DEF-F.C elderly and DEF-M.C.PL parent to_it take.SBJV-3P guard

Elderly and parents, use care!

Kordê lou ççhen dî-z anno !
[kɔˈdɛː luˈhɛ̃ŋ diːˈzɑn.nə]
keep_away-IMP.2P DEF-M.C.PL dog from-DEF.M-PL donkey

Keep dogs away from the donkeys!

Note
This is the first translation where I've used the verb kordre "keep away" (last sentence, first word). It is based on a set of cognates I've come across in many Arpitan dialects. I find them quite frustrating because in none of these cases is an etymology given. My best guess is that they come from Latin corrigo.

New/rethought words
danjhî nmc - danger
danjhiryeu adj - dangerous
kordre v - push; keep away; steer, change the course of (etymology uncertain; possibly from Lt. corrigo)
saûvajho adj - wild
vyeôta nfc - (with DEF article) the elderly; old age (< VL *veclus by analogy with iuventa "youth" [modern jhouenta])
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Re: Warning: Wild Donkeys!

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Yélian

Ivatelest a'lorenoran: A'falmin cezedbul èpa tyautaruybul! Diteblodvam evaneʻi fum muyʻi ù sangí! San dityapafibegiacseveinun! Palanbuʻatan è mepeʻin, vèpasban! Matʻastavat pès cenʻit fecun sanim teriyn!

Glosses:
Spoiler:
Ivatelest a'lorenoran:
[ɨʋɐˈteːləst ɐlɔ̈ˈɾeːnɔ̈ɾɐn]
VOL-warn-1PLEX DEF.ANIM=traveller-PL
We want to warn the tourists:

A'falmin cezedbul èpa tyautaruybul!
[ɐˈɸalmɨn ˈkeːɟəbʉl ˈɛpɐ t͡ʃaʊ̯ˈtaːɾʉʃbʉl]
DEF.ANIM=donkey-PL untamed-COP.3PL and POT-too-dangerous-COP.3PL
The donkeys are untamed and can be very dangerous!

Diteblodvam evaneʻi fum muyʻi ù sangí!
[dɨtəˈblodvɐm əʋɐˈneːʔi ɸum ˈmuʃʔi ʉ sɐŋˈgiː]
COND-fight-COND.3PL each_other while eat-3PL or mate-3PL
They might fight each other while they eat or mate!

San dityapafibegiacseveinun!
san di-tya-pafi-begi-acsa-veinun
[san dɨt͡ʃɐˌpaːɸiˌbeːˈxɪ̯aksəvɛɪ̯nʉn]
2PL.REC COND-POT-easy-serious-injure-COND.INV.2PL
You can easily be seriously injured!

Palanbuʻatan è mepeʻin, vèpasban!
[ˈpaːlɐnˌbuːʔɐtɐn ɛ məˈpeːʔɨn, ˈvɛpɐsbɐn]
people.PL-old-PL and parent-PL, careful-COP.JUS.2PL
Old people and parents, be cautious!

Matʻastavat pès cenʻit fecun sanim teriyn!
[mɐtˈʔastɐʋɐ‿pɛs ˈkenʔɨt ˈɸeːkʉn ˈsaːnɨm ˈteːɾa̯iːn]
stay_away-JUS.2PL to 3PL.OBL with 2PL.POSS dog-PL
Stay away from them with your dogs!
New words for this challenge:

cezed [ˈkeːɟəd] - wild, untamed
Etymology: from ezed "tame", itself newly coined; cross-derivation from the root, *zmd, cognates include zemedor "farmer, sheperd"

sangia [ˈsaŋgɪ̯a] - to mate (animals)
Etymology: semantic extension: sangia also means "to unite"
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Pāṇini
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Pāṇini »

:oci: Old Occitan

Avisamén al torista: li asne so salvatge e pòden èsser molt dangierós! Pòden batre·s can manjan ò copulan! Podriatz vos ferir gravamén ab facilitat. Ancián e paire, cuidatz·eus! No laissetz pas que s’apropíon li can a los asnes!

Glosses and Pronunciation:
Spoiler:
Avisamén al torista:
/a.vi.zaˈmen al tuˈɾis.ta/
warning DAT-DEF tourist

Warning to the tourist:

¡li asne so salvatge e pòden èsser molt dangierós!
/li ˈas.ne su salˈva.dʒe e ˈpɔ.den ˈɛ.ser mult dan.dʒjeˈɾus/
DEF.NOM.PL donkey[NOM.PL] COP.3PL wild[NOM.PL] and can-3PL COP.INF very dangerous[NOM.PL]

the donkeys are wild and can be very dangerous!

¡Pòden batre·s can manjan ò copulan!
/ˈpɔ.den ˈba.tres kan ˈman.dʒan ɔ kuˈpy.lan/
can-3PL fight-INF-REFL.OBL when eat-3PL or copulate-3PL

They may fight one another when they eat or mate!

Podriatz vos ferir gravamén ab facilitat.
/pu.driˈats vus feˈɾir gra.vaˈmen amb fa.si.liˈtat/
can-COND-2PL 2PL.OBL injure-INF-gravely with ease.OBL

You could become gravely injured with ease.

Ancián e paire, vos cuidatz!
/ɑnˈsjan e ˈpai.ɾe ‖ vus kwiˈdats/
elder[NOM.PL] and parent[NOM.PL], 2PL.OBL take_care-2PL.IMP

Elders and parents, take care!

No laissetz pas que s’apropíon li can a los asnes!
/nu laiˈsets pas ke sa.pruˈpi.u(n) li kan a lus ˈas.nes/
NEG allow-2PL.SUBJ NEG that REFL.OBJ-approach-3PL.SUBJ DEF.NOM.PL dog[NOM.PL] DAT DEF.OBJ.PL

Don’t let dogs approach the donkeys!
Notes:
Man—where do I begin? I've been having a small love affair with Old Occitan for some weeks now. Resources are a little hard to find, so I suspect I'll be reporting my findings to Teach and Share relatively soon. Some points of interest:

Occitano–Romance sets itself apart from the rest of the Romance–speaking world with its curious n-mobile, ṉ, ṇ in scholarly transcriptions. Originating most often from Latin -VnV{s, m}#, the n–mobile disappears and reappears every so often, depending on dialect and phonological environment. Before /s/, it triggers backing of /a/ a to /ɑ/ .

Èu, parl occitá. Parl occitán ancar. L'occitás, sabètz?
Ęu, parl occitaṉ. Parl occitaṉ ancar. L'occitạṉs, sabętz?
/jɛu parl uk.siˈta ‖ parl uksiˈtan aŋˈkar ‖ luk.siˈtɑs ‖ saˈbɛts/
1SG.NOM speak[1SG] Occitan[OBJ] ‖ speak[1SG] Occitan[OBJ] still ‖ DEF.SG-Occitan-NOM know-2PL

Me, I'm speaking Occitan. I'm still speaking Occitan. Occitan, y'know?

The word occitá here is an anachronism, much like torista—in Old Occitan's heyday the language was generally called proençal, limosí, or romans. All these words by pure coincidence capture part of the chain shift from /o u/ to /u y/, of debatable timeline placement. Some date it back to the troubadours, others to Middle Occitan post c. 1350.

Old Occitan proper, as the koiné of the troubadors, has a nominal declension system almost identical to that of Old French. As far as I can tell, Medieval Catalan lects never distinguished a nominative from an oblique case throughout their written history, though in most aspects they were nearly identical to those dialects across the border. Like all Western Romance languages, Modern Occitan no longer preserves noun declensions. Some dialects, Provençal among them, have lost all traces of final consonants except for /n/.

As far as archaisms, remnants of the masculine genitive plural remained in a couple of adjectives, such as ancianor, paganor for “of the old/ancients, of the pagans." There are also a handful more inherited synthetic comparatives than in modern Romance languages: auçor, belazor for "higher/taller, more beautiful." All of these forms directly parallel Old French cognates ancienor, payenor, alçor, bellezour. That’s my TED talk, I think.

EDIT: spelling
天含青海道。城頭月千里。
/tʰiæn ɣɑm tsʰieŋ.hɑ́i dʱɑ́u ‖ ʑʱeŋ dʱəu ᵑgyæɾ tsʰiæn lí/
The sky swallows the road to Kokonor. On the Great Wall, a thousand miles of moonlight.
—/lí ɣɑ̀/ (李賀), tr. A. C. Graham
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

:con: Rireinutire

mosutasi mineñuyaha: hepo remi yakiri vahu hetañara yata hopokave: ke saro tositosina yuneta vanikave karo au nohikavo au simikavo: te niheti orohotuta pipoti hopokahuvo: to murupiñi' to emotima'· te nayuñuka': te penimu maraha hepore piyaka':

mosutasi mineñuyaha: hepo remi yakiri vahu hetañara yata hopokave:
/ˈmosutɑsi ˈmineŋujɑhɑ || ˈhepo ˈɹemi ˈjɑkiɹi ˈvɑhu ˈhetɑˌŋɑɹɑ ˈjɑtɑ ˈhopokɑve/
mosutasi mineñuya-ha || hepo remi ya-kiri vahu hetañara ya-ta hopo-ka-ve ||
warning.NOM tourist-ADE || donkey.NOM wild be-GER very dangerous be-INF can-PRS-HSY ||

Warning for tourists: The donkeys are wild and can be very dangerous!

ke saro tositosina yuneta vanikave karo au nohikavo au simikavo:
/ke ˈsɑɹo ˈtosiˌtosinɑ ˈjunetɑ ˈvɑnikɑve ˈkɑɹo ɑu ˈnohikɑvo ɑu ˈsimikɑvo/
ke saro tosi-tosi-na yune-ta vani-ka-ve karo au nohi-ka-vo au simi-ka-vo ||
3P.F.NOM then.ADV other-other-PTV fight-INF may-PRS-HSY when.REL xor feed-PRS-INFR xor mate-PRS-INFR ||

They may fight each other when they are eating or mating!

te niheti orohotuta pipoti hopokahuvo:
/te ˈniheti ˈoɹohotutɑ ˈpipoti ˈhopokɑhuvo/
te nihe-ti orohotu-ta pipo-ti hopo-ka-hu-vo ||
2P.NOM serious-ADVZ be.injured-INF easy-ADVZ can-PRS-SBJV-INFR ||

You could easily be seriously injured!

to murupiñi' to emotima'· te nayuñuka':
/to ˈmuɹuˌpiŋiʔ to ˈemoˌtimɑʔ | te ˈnɑjuŋukɑʔ/
to muru-piñi-' to emo-tima-' | te nayuñu-ka-' ||
and age-AGZ-VOC and birthmother-comother-VOC | 2P.NOM take.care-PRS-IMP ||

Elderly people and parents, use care!

te penimu maraha hepore piyaka':
/te ˈpenimu ˈmɑɹɑhɑ ˈhepoɹe ˈpijɑkɑʔ/
te peni-mu maraha hepo-re piya-ka-' ||
2P.NOM dog-ACC away donkey-ELA keep-PRS-IMP ||

Keep dogs away from the donkeys!

Translation challenge 82/100
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Warning for tourists: The donkeys are wild and can be very dangerous! They may fight each other when they are eating or mating! You could easily be seriously injured! Elderly people and parents, use care! Keep dogs away from the donkeys!

:con: Keoita Iyamri (I'm using different dialects for different translations. Keoita makes most sense here because it's spoken in the most donkey-accepting environment in Kekeoi.)

Kwes teyanwa anaro iyeka es bayon iyon noyatri! Kesa, gweos os, iyon boksea iyon! Ronote wai orkanri! Ana teyanri, anaken raski! Ana kwes kem tebakota teyon ek!
kwes te=janwa an=aro iyeka es bayon iyon noyat-ri kesa gweos os iyon boksea iyon ro-no-te wai orkan-ri ana te=janri ana-ken raski ana kwes kem te=bakota tey=iyon ek

cause MW=person MW=faraway place of know donkey danger-AUG / eat / mate in / donkey fight donkey / that.MED-PL-person can feel.pain-AUG / VOC MW=elderly.person / IMP-NEG reckless / IMP cause NEG MW=dog MW=donkey near

Translation challenge: 19%
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber languages, Izre, Ngama, Areyaxi languages, ???, 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her