petaQ, tlhIngan Hol yIghojqu'

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Re: petaQ, tlhIngan Hol yIghojqu'

Post by Khemehekis »

At https://www.kli.org/chabal/, a few of the members made word request lists for Christmas. Included are a lot of good words that appear on the LCV: "pronoun", "cotton", "sodium", "algae", "edit, revise", "stress, emphasize", "esophagus", "calcium", "marble", "spleen", "pancreas", "absorb". There are also three more recent requests for LCV words: "tap", "be curly", and "plutonium". Check them out and vote up the ones you like!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 67,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

By a show of hands, how many people here participate in the chabal tetlh word nomination and voting?
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

Klingon has some new words now as a result of translating the play Hamletmachine. One of them is a nod to the Hebrew alphabet.

https://www.kli.org/about-klingon/new-k ... ords/date/
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

The Aspies on this board (of which I know of many) might be interested to know that someone at https://www.kli.org/chabal/ has made a request for the stative verb "be autistic/Aspie". If you care to vote it up, I'm just letting you know.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

Marc Okrand has revealed 167 new Klingon words at the latest qep'a'!

http://klingon.wiki/En/NewWordsQepa27

Both of my requests made it in. "Disorder, disability, syndrome, condition" became the second-most popular request on the chabal tetlh, and was revealed as HarqIn. This word no doubt honors Tom Harkin, who helped pass the Americans with disabilities Act. "Headphones" can either be DannI' (covers both ears and includes a band across head), or teS HablI' (described as like what Uhura wears). I researched and found out that Dany is a Pakistan-based headphone manufacturer.

None of the words requested in July were included in the update. Apparently, Okrand made his list in June.

We got a number of new chemical elements: aluminum, plutonium, mercury, sodium, titanium, calcium.

Some great puns: monQIv (algae) references Algernon "Algy" Moncrieff of The Importance of Being Earnest. SupDIng (Kronos' equivalent of cotton) is made out of Sup (to jump) and DIng (to spin), as in "Jump down, spin around, pick a bale o' cotton . . ." And ravngI' (furniture) Is Ingvar Kamprad's first name spelt backwards.

A number of other LCV words now have Klingon equivalents: "lawsuit", "to absorb", "esophagus", "mint", "porch", "to be wise", "dollar", "to stress, to emphasize", "seizure (epileptic)", "fair, circus", "oval", "(magic) trick", "scab", "teen, teen-ager, adolescent, youth, young adult", "thyroid", "counter", "lily", "pronoun", "curfew", "protein", "braid", "marble", "to reflect", "gluten", "to be turbulent", "to solve", "date" (as in going out with someone), "vinegar", "athlete", "trapezoid", "parent", "to nod", "sickle", "cream", "adverb(ial)", "to aim", "to be cool", "to tap", "gums", "nightmare", "to blush", "cherry", "pancreas", "common cold", "to be curly", "favor", "to blink", "gland", "Wales", "to be hollow", "to slap", "to be lonely", "RNA", "void", "freckle(s)", "squash/pumpkin", "by the way", "tumor", "drug", "peach/apricot", "dew", "base (alkali)", "spouse", and "spleen".

Thank you, Marc!
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

Update: The new words have all been added to https://www.frathwiki.com/Klingon/lexicon (plus I got quite a lot of solid words for numbers to add!)

EDIT: This dictionary now has 4,432 entries.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

♂♥♂♀

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

In the webcomic “Freefall”, one of the characters says “‘What’s Opera, Doc?’ sounds so much better in Klingon.”.
“What’s Opera, Doc?” is a Warner Bros. cartoon from the late or middle 1950s starring Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny.
Translating it —— or even its one original song —— into Klingon and then performing it, would be a major challenge!

Anyone up to it?