Until Hell freezes over

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Until Hell freezes over

Post by Khemehekis »

Ossicone wrote::con: Inyauk: Fía itxmátxuil i-áyarikuba Látxalaya Útsalaya.
/'fi-ia iʧ-'maʧu-il i-'ajarik-uba 'laʧal-aja 'uʦal-aja/
2sg-BEN 1sgP-love-GVR DEF-joining-BFR latxal-OBJ utsal-OBJ
'I will love you until Latxal and Utsal meet.'

Latxal(moon) and Utsal(ocean) are the 2 gods of destruction (they <3 each other). If/when they meet everything will be destroyed. :D
Nifty!

Love your new signature too.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Khemehekis wrote:
Ossicone wrote::con: Inyauk: Fía itxmátxuil i-áyarikuba Látxalaya Útsalaya.
/'fi-ia iʧ-'maʧu-il i-'ajarik-uba 'laʧal-aja 'uʦal-aja/
2sg-BEN 1sgP-love-GVR DEF-joining-BFR latxal-OBJ utsal-OBJ
'I will love you until Latxal and Utsal meet.'

Latxal(moon) and Utsal(ocean) are the 2 gods of destruction (they <3 each other). If/when they meet everything will be destroyed. :D
Nifty!

Love your new signature too.
:D :D
reizoukin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by reizoukin »

Slaua oelnifob oeikail oftjae iia mu Karaar oelnifob pljae. (Aua ifob oeikail tjae iia Mukaraar ifob pljae.)
I future-ADV love-LKLY you until the Path future-ADV darken. (I future-ADV love-LKLY you until DEF-Path future-ADV darken.)
/slaua wɛlniβob wɛigail oβdʲa: ija mu kɒao wɛlniβob plʲa:/ (/aua iβob wɛigail tʲa: ija mukɒao iβob plʲa:/)
I will love you until the Path darkens.

The Mfeparolnjilt believe that when they die, they go to a path, and that you cross this path as a shining ball of light.

Slaua oelnifob oeikail oftjae iia mu Leintolnjilt oelnifob unga Farisa. (Aua ifob oeikal tjae iia Muleintolnjilt ifob unga Farisa.)
I future-ADV love-LKLY you until the Reint-er-PL future-ADV seize-DEF Farisa. (I future-ADV love-LKLY you until DEF-Reint-ers future-ADV seize-DEF Farisa.
/slaua wɛlniβob wɛigail oβdʲa: ija mu lɛintolnʲilt wɛlniβob uŋa ɸɒiza/ (/aua iβob wɛigail tʲa: ija mulɛintolnʲilt iβob uŋa ɸɒiza/)
I will love you until the Reintish seize Farisa.

Reint is a country south of Farisa, where all the people live in poverty. It's ironic because at a later point the Reintish DO seize Farisa.
:eng: Native | :esp: Almost Fluent | :zho: Intermediate | :ara: :fra: Interested | :kat: :cym: Very interested.
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

:con: goshpysheshta: nel kue dhas ko ki ga hiedhe zhw kagat kittha gadhgai pa
PRD AUX feel-with 1 2 REL until STA know human sky REL
I will feel with you until humans know the sky.

Because the sky is the place where the dathakh (the gods) live, the kittha (humans on the surface) consider it impossible for them to reach this holy realm.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Image Silvish. I came up with three options. There are probably a bunch more out there.

 Jho sy a té avoi k' î nevése a la Sen Majheré.
[ʒo.sjaˈte ʔaˈvu kiː.nəˈve.sə ʔa.la.sɛ̃m.mɑˈʒʁe]
1S.NOM be.1S to 2S.DSJ until SBRD 3S.NOM snow-IPF_SBJV-3S at DEF-F.C.ACC saint.F.N.OBL Margaret.OBL

I'm yours until it snows on Saint Margaret's Day.

Margaret of Antioch is celebrated on July 20, so snow is the last thing in the Silvish forecast at that point. This option is probably the most positive or romantic. It's evocative, and it invokes a saint associated with childbirth and pregnant women, which could connect to loving relationships of a few different kinds.

 Jho sy a té avoi k' la ppoela eusön de den.
[ʒo.sjaˈte ʔaˈvu klɑˈpu.la ˈʔø.sŋ̩ dəˈdɛ̃ŋ]
1S.NOM be.1S to 2S.DSJ until SBRD DEF-F.C PL-chicken have.IPF_SBJV-3P INDF.PL tooth

I'm yours until chickens have teeth.

I borrowed this option from French, and it strikes me as kind of wacky in this context. Is it a promise or a threat? Who knows?

 Jho sy a té avoi ke tu m' atrapése un daū.
[ʒo.sjaˈte ʔaˈvu ke.ty.ma.tʁaˈpe.sə ʔœ̃n.daˈy]
1S.NOM be.1S to 2S.DSJ until SBRD 2S-NOM 1S.DAT catch-IPF_SBJV-2S INDF.M.C dahu

I'm yours until you catch me a dahu.

Finally, this option, which I'd say gives the most negative vibe. The dahu is an imaginary creature that inhabits mountainous areas in Europe. So this option works best as an impossible quid pro quo (e.g. Jho t' edyeré kan ke tu m' atrapése un daū "I'll help you when you catch me a dahu"). In this translation, the speaker is saying they won't leave unless the addressee does something impossible. Really puts the onus on the addressee.

On a general note, Silvish gets to use its imperfect subjunctive (a counterfactual) in the "until" clauses, adding extra oomph to the "This will never, ever happen" idea. The other possible verb form in those clauses, the present subjunctive, is a better choice for things that are certain or likely to happen.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Yélian

Sat roiavai nabetál dorman royovti cu veto.
[sɐt ɾɔ̈ˈɪ̯aːʋaɪ̯ nɐbəˈtaːl ˈdoɾmɐn ɾɔ̈ˈʃɔʊ̯ti kʉ ˈveːtɔ̈]
2SG.OBL FUT-love-1SG until_then beaver.PL FUT-dance-3PL at beach
I will love you until beavers dance on the beach.

Borrowed from several similar idioms in natlangs, that all incorporate an animal doing stuff an animal does not do, like pigs whistling (German), crawfish whistling on the mountain (Russian) or the aforementioned teething chickens.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Dormouse559 wrote: 07 Nov 2020 18:41  Jho sy a té avoî ke tu m' atrapése un daū.
[ʒo.sjaˈte ʔaˈvuː ke.ty.ma.tʁaˈpe.sə ʔœ̃n.daˈy]
1S.NOM be.1S to 2S.DSJ until SBRD 2S-NOM 1S.DAT catch-IPF_SBJV-2S INDF.M.C dahu

I'm yours until you catch me a dahu.

Finally, this option, which I'd say gives the most negative vibe. The dahu is an imaginary creature that inhabits mountainous areas in Europe. So this option works best as an impossible quid pro quo (e.g. Jho t' edyeré kan ke tu m' atrapése un daū "I'll help you when you catch me a dahu"). In this translation, the speaker is saying they won't leave unless the addressee does something impossible. Really puts the onus on the addressee.
This is a great one! It took me a few seconds to remember what a dahu was, and then it turned out that that jogging of my memory wasn't even necessary, because you explained it below.
♂♥♂♀

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Khemehekis wrote: 11 Nov 2020 09:58 This is a great one! It took me a few seconds to remember what a dahu was, and then it turned out that that jogging of my memory wasn't even necessary, because you explained it below.
Cool! I'm glad you enjoy it [:)]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Dormouse559 wrote: 12 Nov 2020 02:33
Khemehekis wrote: 11 Nov 2020 09:58 This is a great one! It took me a few seconds to remember what a dahu was, and then it turned out that that jogging of my memory wasn't even necessary, because you explained it below.
In the American West, we have the gyascutus.
♂♥♂♀

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Dec 2020 02:31
Dormouse559 wrote: 12 Nov 2020 02:33
In the American West, we have the gyascutus.
Hmm, as a denizen of the American West™, I can't say I've ever heard of that. It appears to be distinctly nonfictional, though. Personally, I find that the dahu reminds me of the jackalope.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Dormouse559 wrote: 05 Dec 2020 18:45 Hmm, as a denizen of the American West™, I can't say I've ever heard of that. It appears to be distinctly nonfictional, though. Personally, I find that the dahu reminds me of the jackalope.
::Turns to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyascutus and is flabbergasted as the entry reveals nothing but a beetle genus::

No, not that! This:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidehill_gouger
♂♥♂♀

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Dormouse559 wrote: 05 Dec 2020 18:45
Khemehekis wrote: 05 Dec 2020 02:31 In the American West, we have the gyascutus.
Hmm, as a denizen of the American West™, I can't say I've ever heard of that. It appears to be distinctly nonfictional, though. Personally, I find that the dahu reminds me of the jackalope.
The folkloric gyascutus appears to have started in Vermont as far as Wikipedia can tell. Unless I misunderstood.

There’s a real-life genus of beetles called gyascutus. They don’t have legs longer on the left than the right, though.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Dec 2020 18:50
Dormouse559 wrote: 05 Dec 2020 18:45 Hmm, as a denizen of the American West™, I can't say I've ever heard of that. It appears to be distinctly nonfictional, though. Personally, I find that the dahu reminds me of the jackalope.
::Turns to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyascutus and is flabbergasted as the entry reveals nothing but a beetle genus::

No, not that! This:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidehill_gouger
Oh! That makes more sense. I hadn't heard of the sidehill gouger either [:P] I should brush up on my cryptids.
eldin raigmore wrote: 05 Dec 2020 19:22 The folkloric gyascutus appears to have started in Vermont as far as Wikipedia can tell. Unless I misunderstood.
Must be migratory [xD]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Dormouse559 wrote: 05 Dec 2020 22:37
eldin raigmore wrote: 05 Dec 2020 19:22 The folkloric gyascutus appears to have started in Vermont as far as Wikipedia can tell. Unless I misunderstood.
Must be migratory [xD]
My understanding is that the tale of the gyascutus originated in the West; however, an embellishment of the gyascutus story is that the species originated in Vermont and then migrated to the West.
♂♥♂♀

prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

:con: Rireinutire

ta mamu sevohuhura sati ukavo:
/tɑ ˈmɑmu ˈsevoˌhuhuɹɑ ˈsɑti ˈukɑvo/
ta ma-mu sevo-huhu-ra sati u-ka-vo ||
2S.NOM 1S-ACC age-end-INE as.far.as have-PRS-INFR ||

I'm yours until the end of the world.
More literally, "You have me until the current age of the world ends." The sevo are a religious-cosmological cycle somewhat like the Hindu concept of Caturyuga, a series of Ages each worse and shorter than the last, until a cataclysm of some kind resets the cosmic clock and the cycle begins again with the next Golden Age.

Translation challenge 90/100
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?