Weird coincidences in your conlanging journey

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Weird coincidences in your conlanging journey

Post by Khemehekis »

Have you experienced any really creepy coincidences during your months/year/years/decades of experience with conlanging?

While I was adding whatever OR- words I could think of, such as "oriel window" and "orpiment" to Kankonian, I came up with puor, meaning orf (as in, the veterinary disease). That became word #39,671.

A few words later, I realized I needed a word for "idem sonans". This soon had me fishing about (no pun intended) for other IDE- words, and I realized I was missing a word for "ide".

I did some research on ides (the plural of the fish, that is, not what Julius Caesar was supposed to beware of) and discovered that an ide was also called an orfe! Thus within one day of each other my Kankonian dictionary acquired both "orf" (puor, word #39,671), and "orfe" (obrozas, word #39,682). And entirely by coincidence . . . not because I thought, "I have a word for 'orf', now I need a word for 'orfe'".

Creepy, huh?

You have any stories about such synchronicity?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
AndrewTheConlanger
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Weird coincidences in your conlanging journey

Post by AndrewTheConlanger »

Oh my god.

Thirty-nine thousand words.

How.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

AndrewTheConlanger wrote:Oh my god.

How.
You mean 51k
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

AndrewTheConlanger wrote:Oh my god.

How.
See this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3077&p=220346#p220346
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I just ran into another really bizarre coincidence.

I was working on Hapoish today, creating words to borrow into Kankonian, such as nejita, a verb meaning "to be like a nejita (a patty of vexu qasa)". Qasa is a type of in vitro meat popular in the Lehola Galaxy, and a vexu is a Hapoish animal raised for its meat.

So anyway, after doing a search for the string "cric" in my Hapoish document to make sure I didn't mistype any circumflex entities as &acric; instead of â and therefore break them, I discovered Hapoish didn't have a verb for "to be like a cricket"!

I searched my soul for a word, and I thought that qîqâ would be a good imitation of a cricket's sound. The circumflexes, in case you're wondering, mark stridulant vowels, a kind of phonation in Hapoish caused by the Reds (the sapient species that speaks Hapoish) stridulating their apos. An apo is a three-leaf-clover-shaped projection at the back of a Red's throat, the way we have a uvula. All five vowels in Hapoish -- a, e, i, o, and u -- have a clear form and a stridulant form. The letter Q represents /x/.

So when I got to the place in my dictionary where I would fit qîqâ in alphabetical order, I discovered I already had a word in Hapoish called qiqa -- like qîqâ except both the vowels were clear instead of both being stridulant. And qiqa meant "to be loud".

If someone wanted to indicate, in Hapoish, that a forum had gone quiet, I suppose s/he would be unlikely to post a sentence with qîqâ the way we would post "Crickets", because it sounds so much like qiqa, to be loud -- which would be exactly the opposite of what s/he wanted to express!

It's crazy!
♂♥♂♀

Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

The ᛝ Futhark symbol looks exactly the same as a symbol in my conlang, and it also has the same /ŋ/ phoneme value.

Eventhough I was aware that runes existed back then, I had never seen the entire set because the Internet wasn't widely available yet, let alone know its corresponding sound. Moreover, my conlang's script is not inspired by runes, so this is a very cute coincidence.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

Well, the root for "sickness." It's wuhan- [vuhan].

(It actually was intentional.)
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Reyzadren wrote: 28 Mar 2021 23:48 The ᛝ Futhark symbol looks exactly the same as a symbol in my conlang, and it also has the same /ŋ/ phoneme value. [O.O]

Eventhough I was aware that runes existed back then, I had never seen the entire set because the Internet wasn't widely available yet, let alone know its corresponding sound. Moreover, my conlang's script is not inspired by runes, so this is a very cute coincidence.
Oh, that is so cool!

(And creepy, too ::woo-woo music sounds off::)
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

DV82LECM wrote: 29 Mar 2021 02:27 Well, the root for "sickness." It's wuhan- [vuhan].

(It actually was intentional.)
If it was intentional, it's not a weird coincidence, it's an Easter egg.
♂♥♂♀

LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

A very minor one:

In one of my scrapped conlangs, the suffix -ki was used for negation. Rukai uses the /ki/ for negation as well, except as a prefix, IIRC.

Oh, and another conlang of mine had /ⁿde/ as the first person pronoun, but it's the second person pronoun in Guarani.

The biggest coincidences are my conlangs ending up bearing a strong resemblance to some natlang I didn't even consider as an influence, in terms of inventory and prosody, and even grammar.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

A lot of my conlang end up with more or less subtle similarities, e.g. both Kobardon and Omlueuet independently have some kind of interrogative verbs.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Creyeditor wrote: 29 Mar 2021 21:51 A lot of my conlang end up with more or less subtle similarities, e.g. both Kobardon and Omlueuet independently have some kind of interrogative verbs.
Interrogative verbs? Are those like "Do . . . ?" in English?
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

LinguoFranco wrote: 29 Mar 2021 17:43 A very minor one:

In one of my scrapped conlangs, the suffix -ki was used for negation. Rukai uses the /ki/ for negation as well, except as a prefix, IIRC.

Oh, and another conlang of mine had /ⁿde/ as the first person pronoun, but it's the second person pronoun in Guarani.

The biggest coincidences are my conlangs ending up bearing a strong resemblance to some natlang I didn't even consider as an influence, in terms of inventory and prosody, and even grammar.
I occasionally find things like that.

Things like zan (the Kankonian word for "ten") looking loke German zehn aren't really interesting, since I knew the German word and therefore may have been subconsciously influenced by it. But I also find words I didn't even know! I thought kiphi was the perfect Kankonian word for millet . . . and then I learn that millet is kibi in Japanese. The Kankonian words for "student" and "weather" are telemis and mesemiwa respectively (I only later learned about Arabic talib and mesam).

But the craziest lexical coincidence of all?

The Kankonian word for "psychic": randi.

I was 16 and had never heard of The Amazing Randi.
♂♥♂♀

Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Khemehekis wrote: 29 Mar 2021 23:59
Creyeditor wrote: 29 Mar 2021 21:51 A lot of my conlang end up with more or less subtle similarities, e.g. both Kobardon and Omlueuet independently have some kind of interrogative verbs.
No, not really, I think. They are both weird. In Kobardon, 'why' is expressed by an adverbial clause with an intransitive verb, roughly translate as 'in order to do what?'. This is inspired by Indonesian, which uses a verbalized version of 'what' to express 'why', i.e. apa 'what' becomes meng-apa/ken-apa/ng-apa-in 'why (lit. do what).

Example.
Abarvum ut auú.
a-barv-um ut a-uú
1SG-love-2.O to 1.SG-do.what
'Why do I love you?'

I also just recently rediscovered the interrogative verb in Omlűt. This is used for polar questions. It is modeled after the Finnish negative verb and embeds the rest of the sentence. I cannot come up with an example on the spot.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Nothing as interesting as some of these, but the name "Lihmelinyan" sounds oddly like the Finnish word ihmeellinen meaning "wonderful", which I had no knowledge of when creating the name of my conlang. [:D]
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I will undo any coincidences I find if they arise from word-gen output and not from preexisting roots. And sometimes I'll even undo them if they arise from preexisting roots. I like it better this way .... e.g. from random word generation I ended up with two political parties that both had the morpheme /ndàka/ in their name. Even though the languages are widely spaced apart and could easily have come up with two unrelated words that both trace back to the same /ndàka/ (consider that even short morphemes like this are often originally dimorphemic), I decided that the two political parties in fact contained the same word, which means I will only use one root, and that root means "tip of the tongue".

I have hundreds of other examples of this, which isnt as surprising as it might sound, since I have a long list of word-gen output and a protolanguage that is entirely CV. But what I find more interesting, and usually easier to remember, is when coincidences happen even with roots I've manually created instead of using word-gen. For the most part, I dont see these coming because I get new words from a proto-language that was spoken about 4200 years before the classical stage of Poswa and Pabappa.

For example, the word for "baby" and "friend" collided in Poswa, so I figured ... why not? people call each other "babe" and "baby" in English too, so I just deleted the word for friend from the language and said that it was just one root all along. (This meant deleting the root even from languages where they did not collide, so e.g. Pabappa lost its word for friend, but I consider it worthwhile.)

Even of this type of coincidence I probably have a few dozen examples ..... the words for breast and laugh collided, so I retained the word for breast and said that the word for laugh was derived from it. "clumsiness" was close enough to looking like it meant "thigh armor" that i merged those as well. The word for "nail" was close enough to a verb meaning "to use once" that i collided those too. "baby" and "to have difficulty" also collided (yes, its a different word for baby). "arrowhead" and "to fight back" .... and i have many more, though a lot of the ones I didnt type up here are so semantically divergent that one could say they're not really coincidences anymore. e.g. /bap/ is the merged reflex of words that originally meant "to push, shove" and "animal" ...... not really that close in meaning, since only a few animals are even capable of that means of attack. but i did the same thing .... said that they were the same root all along, and therefore they trace back to just a single root instead of two now.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
The wolf-sheep ate itself. (Play)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 30 Mar 2021 05:45 Nothing as interesting as some of these, but the name "Lihmelinyan" sounds oddly like the Finnish word ihmeellinen meaning "wonderful", which I had no knowledge of when creating the name of my conlang. [:D]
Oh, that's amazing how close they are! Have Xonen and the other Finns on the board told you that Lihmelinyan is ihmeellinen?
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Creyeditor wrote: 30 Mar 2021 02:29
Khemehekis wrote: 29 Mar 2021 23:59
No, not really, I think. They are both weird. In Kobardon, 'why' is expressed by an adverbial clause with an intransitive verb, roughly translate as 'in order to do what?'. This is inspired by Indonesian, which uses a verbalized version of 'what' to express 'why', i.e. apa 'what' becomes meng-apa/ken-apa/ng-apa-in 'why (lit. do what).

Example.
Abarvum ut auú.
a-barv-um ut a-uú
1SG-love-2.O to 1.SG-do.what
'Why do I love you?'

I also just recently rediscovered the interrogative verb in Omlűt. This is used for polar questions. It is modeled after the Finnish negative verb and embeds the rest of the sentence. I cannot come up with an example on the spot.
Thanks for explaining! I make hing, the word for "or" in alternative questions, considered a WH-word in Kankonian, which is a WH-in-situ language.
♂♥♂♀

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

So, I picked *pintei as the etymon of Ilóhra's word for "milk". This resulted in modern hinti [ˈhinti], which was all well and good, but then I altered my sound changes, and it became hindi [ˈhindi]. The sound changes recently got another overhaul, though, so the modern form is now inži [ˈind͡ʒi]. I guess that new form might still be a weird coincidence if you speak Portuguese.

At about the midpoint of that last sound change overhaul, the word for "to hold" was briefly hand [ˈhand].
GoshDiggityDangit
greek
greek

Post by GoshDiggityDangit »

I think this counts? In Fesian, the word for sneak is Camio. It is pronounced much like English Cameo, where you kinda sneak a celebrity or the director into a movie. I just made this word, it's from Ca+Mio, go quietly.
“Like billowing clouds, Like the incessant gurgle of the brook,
The longing of the spirit can never be stilled.” ― St. Hildegard von Bingen