Conlang word easter eggs?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by Khemehekis »

LinguistCat wrote: 30 Mar 2021 04:11
Khemehekis wrote: 29 Mar 2021 23:30 All you guys keep name-dropping video games and animes I've never even heard of, and then once one of you have mentioned it, all these other people join in the conversation as if they've heard of it too! Huh.
A lot of memes were started by Portal, like "The cake is a lie" and a few others. There's even a song, "Still Alive" that was fairly popular online for a while after 2007. Probably just not your time?
Huh. I actually remember going onto Wikipedia several years back and typing in "Cake is a lie" as the article title to try to understand the meme (someone on another board had suggested "Cake is a lie" as the motto of the Millennial Generation when we were coming up with mottos for different generations), and being taken to an article about a video game. I didn't remember the title of the video game, though. I do remember that it was a puzzle-solving video game whose main character was a black-haired girl named Chell or Chelle or Chellz or something like that, and that the protagonist was praised for being a female video game character who wasn't made to look Stacy-sexy to appeal to straight gamer boys.

I don't recall seeing the word GLADOS, though.

While I do recall a lot of pop culture from 2007 (Colbie Caillat, Taylor Swift, Ingrid Michaelson, and similar artists first became popular around this time), I stopped playing video games around the time I was 15, and for the next several years knew about video games (Pokémon, Star Fox, Banjo-kazooie, etc.) mostly through my brother, who still plays them to this day. Then I moved out and I mostly heard of the big-name video games like GTA, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, and Fortnite that people were referencing all over the Internet. I befriended Tyler Thunder, a teen-age gamer from the National Youth Rights Association, a few years back over our shared interest in youth rights and now I also hear of the video games he likes, such as No Man's Sky (though their conlangs are literally ciphers! :mrred:), Shenmue, and Red Dead Redemption.

As for anime, I mostly know the animes that my brother would watch on Cartoon Network -- Pokémon, Sailor Moon, Yu-gi-oh!, Sakura: Card Captor, and the like. I've heard of Naruto and even reference it in a song in my rock musical, but I've never seen it. And the movie Unico, since my sister and I would watch it as children.

I get the feeling that my preferred popular culture is not the culture that is popular on this board (here there's a lot of nerd and geek culture like video games and anime, and a lot of heavy metal). I don't see Ingrid Michaelson, Third Eye Blind, Nirvana, Muse, Bastille, or Colbie Caillat referenced here too much (although once eldin raigmore referenced a KT Tunstall song when discussing Tunstall's Scottish pronunciation of "calm" and "palm", which I thought was awesome), and I don't really see people discussing Beavis and Butt-head or Daria (although Elemtilas and I have mentioned The Simpsons a few times).
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Khemehekis wrote: 02 Apr 2021 09:03Huh. I actually remember going onto Wikipedia several years back and typing in "Cake is a lie" as the article title to try to understand the meme (someone on another board had suggested "Cake is a lie" as the motto of the Millennial Generation when we were coming up with mottos for different generations), and being taken to an article about a video game. I didn't remember the title of the video game, though. I do remember that it was a puzzle-solving video game whose main character was a black-haired girl named Chell or Chelle or Chellz or something like that, and that the protagonist was praised for being a female video game character who wasn't made to look Stacy-sexy to appeal to straight gamer boys.

This is a very long way of saying, "I know of 'Portal,' but I didn't know it was called 'Portal.'" [:P] GLaDOS is the sadistic/passive-aggressive AI character that sets up the puzzles for Chell.

I don't see Ingrid Michaelson, Third Eye Blind, Nirvana, Muse, Bastille, or Colbie Caillat referenced here too much
I talk about only a fraction of the music I listen to on here, but I do like me some Ingrid Michaelson, Bastille and Colbie Caillat.

As for Easter eggs, the name of my conlang Ilóhra is itself an Easter egg. When I first started work on the language, I was partly inspired by the vowel shifts in Latin. I didn't have a name yet, so in accordance with the occasional trend of "Project [mineral]", I went with Project Phillipsite, that being a key mineral in making Roman concrete so durable. When I eventually decided to make an endonym, "phillipsite" was the basis for its etymon: *piləbsæ > ilóhra. Then, I came up with an internal derivation, which included explaining that -sæ ending as a ubiquitous adjective/abstract noun marker; so there's a little piece of this Easter egg in every Ilóhra abstract noun and adjective.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Dormouse559 wrote: 02 Apr 2021 10:12
Khemehekis wrote: 02 Apr 2021 09:03Huh. I actually remember going onto Wikipedia several years back and typing in "Cake is a lie" as the article title to try to understand the meme (someone on another board had suggested "Cake is a lie" as the motto of the Millennial Generation when we were coming up with mottos for different generations), and being taken to an article about a video game. I didn't remember the title of the video game, though. I do remember that it was a puzzle-solving video game whose main character was a black-haired girl named Chell or Chelle or Chellz or something like that, and that the protagonist was praised for being a female video game character who wasn't made to look Stacy-sexy to appeal to straight gamer boys.

This is a very long way of saying, "I know of 'Portal,' but I didn't know it was called 'Portal.'" [:P] GLaDOS is the sadistic/passive-aggressive AI character that sets up the puzzles for Chell.
Ah-ha! So the a is lower-case? I reread the article, and the name GLaDOS does indeed pop up.
I don't see Ingrid Michaelson, Third Eye Blind, Nirvana, Muse, Bastille, or Colbie Caillat referenced here too much
I talk about only a fraction of the music I listen to on here, but I do like me some Ingrid Michaelson, Bastille and Colbie Caillat.
[<3]

Maybe we can start a Pop/Rock Thread in the Everything Else section, analogous to our Metal Thread?
As for Easter eggs, the name of my conlang Ilóhra is itself an Easter egg. When I first started work on the language, I was partly inspired by the vowel shifts in Latin. I didn't have a name yet, so in accordance with the occasional trend of "Project [mineral]", I went with Project Phillipsite, that being a key mineral in making Roman concrete so durable. When I eventually decided to make an endonym, "phillipsite" was the basis for its etymon: *piləbsæ > ilóhra. Then, I came up with an internal derivation, which included explaining that -sæ ending as a ubiquitous adjective/abstract noun marker; so there's a little piece of this Easter egg in every Ilóhra abstract noun and adjective.
Phillipsite? I wouldn't have guessed that in thousands of years! I make most of my names for countries, planets, and sapient species a priori; sometimes they just feel right synaesthetically for my people, sometimes (as was the case with ilti, añak, and Querre) they come from dreams.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Speaking of Easter eggs . . .

Guzhiet Paskh!
enjoy-IMPRTV Easter
Happy Easter!
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 04 Apr 2021 12:09 Speaking of Easter eggs . . .

Guzhiet Paskh!
enjoy-IMPRTV Easter
Happy Easter!
I'm not even going to ask if there's a word for it...

What's the Kankonian word for "invented language easter egg"?
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 05 Apr 2021 03:55 I'm not even going to ask if there's a word for it...

The Kankonian for "Easter egg", in the sense of something hidden to be found, is gedzh.

This is a shortening of megedzhi. According to Poparanian (an ancient civilization of Kankonia) mythology, the megedzhi was a whistle that could bring all the worms up and hypnotize them into dance. A man named Selanas played it one harvest and managed to get giant worms to do evil and wreak havoc upon the world. For this Selanas was exoculated, and the megedzhi was thrown into the Naspar River. Searching for the magical megedzhi was one of the favorite quests of the people of Poparan.

Gedzh was word #37,515, so apparently I added it to my dictionary in 2013.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Apr 2021 07:53
elemtilas wrote: 05 Apr 2021 03:55 I'm not even going to ask if there's a word for it...

The Kankonian for "Easter egg", in the sense of something hidden to be found, is gedzh.

This is a shortening of megedzhi. According to Poparanian (an ancient civilization of Kankonia) mythology, the megedzhi was a whistle that could bring all the worms up and hypnotize them into dance. A man named Selanas played it one harvest and managed to get giant worms to do evil and wreak havoc upon the world. For this Selanas was exoculated, and the megedzhi was thrown into the Naspar River. Searching for the magical megedzhi was one of the favorite quests of the people of Poparan.

Gedzh was word #37,515, so apparently I added it to my dictionary in 2013.
Oo, neat story too! Quite borrowworthy, that! Thanks!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 05 Apr 2021 23:19 Oo, neat story too!
Thanks! I had forgotten the etymology until I searched my spreadsheet for other words with the sequence -gedzh- in them.
Quite borrowworthy, that! Thanks!
You're welcome!
♂♥♂♀

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Mayato vug "chick(young bird)"

this is an easter egg
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

Cropish ḍōngw [d`V_H:N_w] - brother
because my brother hates the word [d`z`ONg] (it doesn't mean anything) [:)]
Last edited by Flavia on 26 Jan 2022 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Titus Flavius wrote: 20 Apr 2021 15:09 Cropish ḍōngw [d`V_H:N_w] - brother
because my brother hates the word [d`z`ONg] (it doesn't mean anything) [>:)]
wow you think this word would trigger him? o.o
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

I think he will never be interested in my conlangs :)
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

Hālian wrote: 21 Mar 2021 10:15I have an undying love of Easter eggs in my lexica, mainly Classical Āirumāli:
Oh, also! Méraki /mɛ́ɾɑki/, which can refer to any form of communication but by default refers to telepathy, is named after a model of wireless router produced by Cisco that my college uses.
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Marduk
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Marduk »

Well kinda. A different type of Easter egg.

I created a language with a companion translation tool. A tool where you can tap the arrow and swap from english to the other language and vice versa.

I had a idea to program the translation tool to spit out a secret message in english when you use a certain combination of words from the created language.
Basically a message hidden within a language.
I planned to take this to another level but never did.

The message was the classic “Hello World”.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Näzyuva labya /la.bʲa/ "violent," from the name of a certain kid who was in my 6th grade class. (The name actually starts with r, but that sound is not present in Näzyuva.)
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber languages, Izre, Ngama, Areyaxi languages, ???, 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

For this Selanas was exoculated
Had his eyes removed? Harsh, but apparently proportional.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Üdj wrote: 14 Sep 2022 23:50 Näzyuva labya /la.bʲa/ "violent," from the name of a certain kid who was in my 6th grade class. (The name actually starts with r, but that sound is not present in Näzyuva.)
Was his name Robbie?
♂♥♂♀

Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Khemehekis wrote: 30 Apr 2023 04:27
Üdj wrote: 14 Sep 2022 23:50 Näzyuva labya /la.bʲa/ "violent," from the name of a certain kid who was in my 6th grade class. (The name actually starts with r, but that sound is not present in Näzyuva.)
Was his name Robbie?
Yeah (or Robert), why?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

my garbage

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Üdj wrote: 30 Apr 2023 15:00 Yeah (or Robert), why?
I doubt I knew him . . . just trying to see if I could reverse-engineer your Easter egg (given the L/R clue you gave)!
♂♥♂♀

Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Khemehekis wrote: 30 Apr 2023 22:37
Üdj wrote: 30 Apr 2023 15:00 Yeah (or Robert), why?
I doubt I knew him . . . just trying to see if I could reverse-engineer your Easter egg (given the L/R clue you gave)!
I also doubt you knew him, considering you joined the year I was born. (I know, I was 12 when I joined. Don't ban me.)

my garbage

she/her