The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Legally, I survived Betty. Big yay.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Knox Adjacent wrote: 25 Mar 2024 17:23 Legally, I survived Betty. Big yay.
What's Betty, if you'll forgive my asking?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber family Ngama Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

The live-in girlfriend who got real mad at me because I evicted her at the end of last September and made me pay for it.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I've just received a list of 60,913 words (the lemmata that occurred 7 or more times in my friend's corpus) through the email. Yay! Expect Kankonian's lexicon to start growing very rapidly.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Khemehekis wrote: 11 Apr 2024 17:13
zyma wrote: 05 Apr 2024 15:54 The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Congratulations on your new name! Is it pronounced like "zymurgy" (with /ai/), or like "Zima" (with /i/)?
Ah, thank you. I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this, but anyway, I pronounce it as /ˈzimə/ or /ˈzɪmə/, which is an anglicized version of a word I heard growing up, a descendant of this.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

zyma wrote: 11 Apr 2024 17:33
(she)
Congratulations on your new name! Is it pronounced like "zymurgy" (with /ai/), or like "Zima" (with /i/)?
Ah, thank you. I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this, but anyway, I pronounce it as /ˈzimə/ or /ˈzɪmə/, which is an anglicized version of a word I heard growing up, a descendant of this.
It means "winter"? Makes me think of the AJR song Dear Winter 2.0. The opening lyrics are "Dear Winter, I hope you like your name."
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber family Ngama Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Arayaz wrote: 11 Apr 2024 18:27
(she)
It means "winter"? Makes me think of the AJR song Dear Winter 2.0. The opening lyrics are "Dear Winter, I hope you like your name."
Oh, that's a fun coincidence. [:)] I'm not familiar with the song, but I'll have to check it out.
(she)
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

(she)
Moved your post (and following two replies) as you asked [:)] And hey to the new name [:D]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

sangi39 wrote: 11 Apr 2024 19:40
(she)
Moved your post (and following two replies) as you asked [:)] And hey to the new name [:D]
Thank you! [:D]
(she)
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Arayaz wrote: 11 Apr 2024 18:27
(she)
Ooh I love that song !

Also congrats on the name Zyma !!
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Awloya, Olwöa, 'ai'u, Hɛlcɛso (on hiatus), Tsjàta (on hiatus)

she/they/fluff
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 11 Apr 2024 19:59
Arayaz wrote: 11 Apr 2024 18:27 It means "winter"? Makes me think of the AJR song Dear Winter 2.0. The opening lyrics are "Dear Winter, I hope you like your name."
Ooh I love that song !
Had you heard it before? (If so, are you a fan of AJR?) Or did you just listen to it now?

my garbage

she/her
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Arayaz wrote: 11 Apr 2024 20:16
Arayaz wrote: 11 Apr 2024 18:27 It means "winter"? Makes me think of the AJR song Dear Winter 2.0. The opening lyrics are "Dear Winter, I hope you like your name."
Ooh I love that song !
Had you heard it before? (If so, are you a fan of AJR?) Or did you just listen to it now?
I have listened to it before, and yes Im a fan. They actually played in a town (kinda) near me on Tuesday. I did not get to go unfortunately, but my girlfriend did and she took lots of videos.
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Awloya, Olwöa, 'ai'u, Hɛlcɛso (on hiatus), Tsjàta (on hiatus)

she/they/fluff
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

(she)
I'll probably go pronouncing it as /ˈzimə/.

It's funny, because in the crackcreeper narrative that I have to go with the Lehola Galaxy, the friend my age who comes from Kankonia is named Raze Dysprosium Philippe, and the expert in linguistics who teaches me Kankonian and other Leholangs is named Professor Zima.

In fact, just last night, I was considering naming my unabridged dictionary of the Kankonian language (if I ever go about publishing it) Zima's Unabridged Kankonian Dictionary. But today I get on and discover that you've changed your screenname to Zyma, I've decided I probably shouldn't use that, as it could give the mistaken impression that you instead of I were the author.

As for AJR, I haven't heard any of their songs except "Bang!" (the quinoa song).
♂♥♂♀

Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Khemehekis wrote: 11 Apr 2024 22:29 As for AJR, I haven't heard any of their songs except "Bang!" (the quinoa song).
I love the fact that that one lyric characterizes the entire song for some people. I love that one, but my sister (also an AJR fan) doesn't.

my garbage

she/her
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Ooh I love that song !

Also congrats on the name Zyma !!
Thank you!

I've just listened to the song. I thought it was sweet. I didn't recognize the name of the band at first, but I'm pretty sure I've heard at least one of their songs before.
_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 11 Apr 2024 20:25
Arayaz wrote: 11 Apr 2024 20:16 Had you heard it before? (If so, are you a fan of AJR?) Or did you just listen to it now?
I have listened to it before, and yes Im a fan. They actually played in a town (kinda) near me on Tuesday. I did not get to go unfortunately, but my girlfriend did and she took lots of videos.
I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to go yourself, but I hope you enjoy the videos!
Khemehekis wrote: 11 Apr 2024 22:29 I'll probably go pronouncing it as /ˈzimə/.
I'm fine with people pronouncing it in whatever way comes naturally to them, for the record.
Khemehekis wrote: 11 Apr 2024 22:29 In fact, just last night, I was considering naming my unabridged dictionary of the Kankonian language (if I ever go about publishing it) Zima's Unabridged Kankonian Dictionary. But today I get on and discover that you've changed your screenname to Zyma, I've decided I probably shouldn't use that, as it could give the mistaken impression that you instead of I were the author.
Ah, well, I'm sorry about the timing. I can understand your concern, but honestly, I don't think that's very likely to happen. For one thing, of course, the names aren't identical (capitalized "Zima" with an <i> vs. uncapitalized "zyma" with a <y>), but more importantly, I have nothing to do with Kankonian. So, while there might be a few cases of momentary confusion (at least here on the CBB, since I don't use the name "zyma" anywhere else), I feel like it would be an easy mistake to correct, and I really doubt that anyone would end up genuinely believing that I wrote the unabridged dictionary of a language that you created. Also, this may go without saying, but "zyma" is not my real name, so if you were to go about publishing this dictionary, I can't imagine you'd have to worry about its authorship being misattributed to me. Long story short, if you like the name "Zima" and want to use it here (or in any capacity), I hope the fact that it bears some similarity to my new username doesn't stop you.
Arayaz wrote: 11 Apr 2024 22:35
Khemehekis wrote: 11 Apr 2024 22:29 As for AJR, I haven't heard any of their songs except "Bang!" (the quinoa song).
I love the fact that that one lyric characterizes the entire song for some people. I love that one, but my sister (also an AJR fan) doesn't.
Oh, that's the other song of theirs that I'd heard before! I didn't remember the line mentioning "quinoa", though, until i listened to the song again just now.
(she)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

zyma wrote: 11 Apr 2024 23:12
Khemehekis wrote: 11 Apr 2024 22:29 In fact, just last night, I was considering naming my unabridged dictionary of the Kankonian language (if I ever go about publishing it) Zima's Unabridged Kankonian Dictionary. But today I get on and discover that you've changed your screenname to Zyma, I've decided I probably shouldn't use that, as it could give the mistaken impression that you instead of I were the author.
Ah, well, I'm sorry about the timing. I can understand your concern, but honestly, I don't think that's very likely to happen. For one thing, of course, the names aren't identical (capitalized "Zima" with an <i> vs. uncapitalized "zyma" with a <y>), but more importantly, I have nothing to do with Kankonian. So, while there might be a few cases of momentary confusion (at least here on the CBB, since I don't use the name "zyma" anywhere else), I feel like it would be an easy mistake to correct, and I really doubt that anyone would end up genuinely believing that I wrote the unabridged dictionary of a language that you created. Also, this may go without saying, but "zyma" is not my real name, so if you were to go about publishing this dictionary, I can't imagine you'd have to worry about its authorship being misattributed to me. Long story short, if you like the name "Zima" and want to use it here (or in any capacity), I hope the fact that it bears some similarity to my new username doesn't stop you.
Of course Kankonian is my conlang and not yours, but when Man in Space went by the screenname Linguifex on the CBB, a lot of people (myself included) mistakenly believed that he was the owner of the website Linguifex. So I thought that a similarity in names could fool people. But you're right, people should be able to notice the I vs. the Y. And my surname (Landau) will probably appear on the cover, and I mention that Kankonian is my conlang in my signature on this board.
zyma wrote:
Arayaz wrote: 11 Apr 2024 22:35
Oh, that's the other song of theirs that I'd heard before! I didn't remember the line mentioning "quinoa", though, until i listened to the song again just now.
To be honest, I couldn't even make out the word "quinoa" (the singer pronounces it with the accent on the second syllable instead of the first) until I looked up the lyrics online the first time I heard that song. But I remember the quinoa mention very well. They even discuss it on the song's Wikipedia page.
♂♥♂♀

zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Khemehekis wrote: 11 Apr 2024 23:27
zyma wrote: 11 Apr 2024 23:12
Of course Kankonian is my conlang and not yours, but when Man in Space went by the screenname Linguifex on the CBB, a lot of people (myself included) mistakenly believed that he was the owner of the website Linguifex. So I thought that a similarity in names could fool people. But you're right, people should be able to notice the I vs. the Y. And my surname (Landau) will probably appear on the cover, and I mention that Kankonian is my conlang in my signature on this board.
Indeed. Sorry, it wasn't my intention to imply that you hadn't considered the fact that Kankonian is your conlang. Again, I can understand where you're coming from, and of course, the choice is ultimately yours.
(she)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

zyma wrote: 11 Apr 2024 23:51 Indeed. Sorry, it wasn't my intention to imply that you hadn't considered the fact that Kankonian is your conlang. Again, I can understand where you're coming from, and of course, the choice is ultimately yours.
I didn't mean to imply that you were implying that!

Although Hannaito and Kankonian don't look like conlangs that were created by the same creator . . . if you know what I mean.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Khemehekis wrote: 11 Apr 2024 17:25 I've just received a list of 60,913 words (the lemmata that occurred 7 or more times in my friend's corpus) through the email. Yay! Expect Kankonian's lexicon to start growing very rapidly.
Just noticed this when the wordlist is sorted by frequency:

611 goodbye 54178 0.0002
612 newyork 54091 0.0002
613 paper 53153 0.0002
614 surprise 52945 0.0002
615 america 52862 0.0002
616 attack 52776 0.0002
617 suppose 52729 0.0002
618 fear 52694 0.0002

"I read in the papers that this surprise attack on New York is an attack on America. Good-bye, Barbara Olson! I suppose America will now react with fear . . ."
♂♥♂♀

zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Well, I assume you mean that the different projects that you and I have worked on likely reflect our different preferences as conlangers. [:)]

Anyway:
Khemehekis wrote: 11 Apr 2024 23:27 To be honest, I couldn't even make out the word "quinoa" (the singer pronounces it with the accent on the second syllable instead of the first) until I looked up the lyrics online the first time I heard that song. But I remember the quinoa mention very well. They even discuss it on the song's Wikipedia page.
Out of curiosity, I looked on the song's Wikipedia page, and either I'm just missing where it talks about "quinoa", or maybe that part got edited out for some reason since you read about it. While looking up the etymology of "quinoa" on Wiktionary, I was interested to learn that some people apparently pronounce it more like /kiːˈnəʊ.ə ~ kiˈnoʊ.ə/, which I don't believe I've personally ever heard before.

What stood out the most to me about the song was the deeper voice occasionally chiming in to say "metronome" or "here we go". Apparently, the man whose voice that is also voices the announcements on the NYC Subway.
(she)