Fredauon Fun Facts

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: Fredauon Fun Facts

Post by Creyeditor »

Fredauon Fun Fact #29:
During the Era of Isolation, rogue Wizards based in tunnels below the Great Mountains sold so-called Demons to the people south of the Great Mountains. These demons were voice-commanded drones with a virtual assistent and powered by solar panels. They differed in how much weapons were included.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

I admire the entrepreneurial spirit of your Wizards.
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Creyeditor wrote: 14 Mar 2024 08:56 Fredauon Fun Fact #29:
During the Era of Isolation, rogue Wizards based in tunnels below the Great Mountains sold so-called Demons to the people south of the Great Mountains. These demons were voice-commanded drones with a virtual assistent and powered by solar panels. They differed in how much weapons were included.
Alexa's already pretty much this. There's even a pseudo naming taboo in place in our house to avoid using the word "Alexa". If we want to refer to the service without waking up the Echo, we say "The A-Lady".
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

lurker wrote: 14 Mar 2024 14:36
Alexa's already pretty much this. There's even a pseudo naming taboo in place in our house to avoid using the word "Alexa". If we want to refer to the service without waking up the Echo, we say "The A-Lady".
Ooh, I like that. In order to give commands to a Demon, you need to know it's real name.... in order to activate the voice control [:D]
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 14 Mar 2024 09:41 I admire the entrepreneurial spirit of your Wizards.
They definitely have that. The Wizard Republic might also be the craddle of the capitalism-equivalent. Or at least its nursery school/kindergarten.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Creyeditor wrote: 14 Mar 2024 19:40 Ooh, I like that. In order to give commands to a Demon, you need to know it's real name.... in order to activate the voice control [:D]
You could also call them "daemons" in reference to UNIX background processes.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I think I want to avoid any confusion with this. I thought about calling them Jinns but that does not have the right feel.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Fredauon Fun Fact #30:
The standard formal way of dressing for a modern wizard consists of trousers and two jackets. A thin tight white jacket is worn beneath a thicker wider black jacket. Both jackets have a zigzag cut pattern in the front and can be buttoned by toggles. A rope is worn around the neck with intricate knots. Hats change following the latest fads.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Fredauon Fun Fact #31:
In the civil servant boarding schools of the Wizard Republic, students usually have a small room on their own. The room has a chest for storing clothing and writing utensils. There is also a small table for studying and a couch-like piece of furniture that is used for sleeping. The couch-like furniture can also be used for dining togther with the small table. For studying, the student usually sits on the ground. Washing clothes, bathing, and cooking are usually done in communal areas. In some schools, washing clothes and cooking is done by specialized school staff.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Fredauon Fun Fact #32:
Since both sign languages and spoken languages developed diachronically since prehistoric times, a proto-language of all languages of Fredauon would have included spoken words as well as signed gestures. This is similar to the languages spoken on The Islands In Between, even though these are usually assumed to be creoles or pidgin that developed from contact between the two continents.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Creyeditor wrote: 19 Mar 2024 08:46 Fredauon Fun Fact #32:
Since both sign languages and spoken languages developed diachronically since prehistoric times, a proto-language of all languages of Fredauon would have included spoken words as well as signed gestures. This is similar to the languages spoken on The Islands In Between, even though these are usually assumed to be creoles or pidgin that developed from contact between the two continents.
Reminds me of one of my Linguistics classes in college. The textbook we had to read postulated that human protolanguage had both spoken and visual components, but that spoken language won out because it did not require line of sight.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

That's probably still an advantage of spoken language on Fredauon. As I explained elsewhere, the idea is that The Other Continent is pretty noisy. It's probably also relatively flat, except for the volcanos.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Fredauon Fun Fact #33:
All over Fredauon there are mythological tales of feathered flying monsters. One kind of monsters flies through the sky without flapping with its giant wings only to quickly nosedive out of the blue and snatch small children that play outside. Another one is nocturnal with large eyes and flies without making a sounds. Its gaze is said to paralyze people or drive them crazy.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Fredauon Fun Fact #34:
The religion of Omlueuet-speaking Bólks includes a complex hierarchical pantheon. On the top are several higher deities, followed by creation deities and fertility deities in that order. Lower order include various wrathful and protective spirits, as well as deified ancestors. A newer religious current within this religion sees the deities not as existing above mortal humans but in a parallel hierachy. This new approach hasn't caused much upheaval and is generally considered a sensible idea even though priests of the two schools of thought are strictly seperated in their rituals.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Fredauon Fun Fact #35:
Another mythological creature in Fredauon tales is said to have black fur like a bat, a shape like an otter but to be as big as an ostrich. It stalks its human prey at night, at first without any consequences but then it jumps on the human's back and is carried until the human is exhausted. If the human falls down, the creature bites his/her neck and sucks all the humam's blood, leaving the pale body to be discovered in the morning.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Creyeditor wrote: 24 Mar 2024 16:57 Fredauon Fun Fact #35:
Another mythological creature in Fredauon tales is said to have black fur like a bat, a shape like an otter but to be as big as an ostrich. It stalks its human prey at night, at first without any consequences but then it jumps on the human's back and is carried until the human is exhausted. If the human falls down, the creature bites his/her neck and sucks all the humam's blood, leaving the pale body to be discovered in the morning.
Doesn't sound like a fun way to go.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I noticed recently that many of the FFFs are not fun at all. I also noticed that fun fact -at least for me- does not mean a fact that is fun but is instead a fixed expression meaning 'a very small bit of information that is neither completely informally nor scientically presented and in itself of little value', similar to trivia or (one meaning of) factoid.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Creyeditor wrote: 24 Mar 2024 20:11 I noticed recently that many of the FFFs are not fun at all. I also noticed that fun fact -at least for me- does not mean a fact that is fun but is instead a fixed expression meaning 'a very small bit of information that is neither completely informally nor scientically presented and in itself of little value', similar to trivia or (one meaning of) factoid.
I'm sure they're fun to come up with.

Do these creatures have any basis in the reality of the setting or are they really just myths?
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

I estimate that said creatures would way about 370 pounds. That's a lot of weight to carry around.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

lurker wrote: 24 Mar 2024 21:00 [...]

Do these creatures have any basis in the reality of the setting or are they really just myths?
Well, they have a solid basis in *our* reality. The feathered, winged monsters would look like birds of prey/owls and the dry, furred creatures like wild cats.
VaptuantaDoi wrote: 25 Mar 2024 08:20 I estimate that said creatures would way about 370 pounds. That's a lot of weight to carry around.
Well, you know. Information on mythological creatures is usually exaggerated [:P]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

So THAT'S what's under Mt. Shasta.