What languages influence your conlangs?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Avo
greek
greek

Re: Natlang Influences

Post by Avo »

April has no real natlang influence, though it's phoneme inventory started as somewhat Nahuatl-like. There's no big influence in its grammar either, maybe some random bits from Abkhaz/Kabardian and several North- and especially South-American indian languages.
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

I actually started my language before taking an interest in any natlang bar English: my only goal was to make it not sound like English. :P (Aparently, the 'first draft', a word-list and phoneme inventory, sounded like Yiddish!)
Gaelic, Finnish, Latin, Old Norse, French, Ancient Greek, Japanese, Mayan, Proto-Indo European and (unavoidably) English have all since played a part in some aspect or another. Presumably, there are others too.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Hæsha is heavily based off of Japanese in phonology and phonotactics, but now has seperated itself from that so much that I think I'm actually arbitrarily restricting myself in trying to make it more "Japanese-like"
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

Kannow: Georgian, NWC langs, Yanyuwa
Proto-Kett: Polish
Insular Kett: Generic fantasylang
Continental Kett: Sumerian
Tnerakhii: Salishan and Khoisan langs
Arve: Danish, Tibetan, German, English

Enzielu: Basque, Salishan langs
Tharu: no idea, probably Tibetan
Renzell: English
Gadaye: Australian langs
Hathe: Hawaiian
Kanagy: no idea, probably the random phonology generator, maybe Piraha or something
Ketas: same as Kanagy
Kastas: Oogami
unnamed fifth Hathic lang: Thai, Burmese, O'odham, Nivkh, Chinese, Kastas (not a natlang; I steal shit from myself all the time)
MONOBA
greek
greek

Post by MONOBA »

Siwa's core grammar has been heavily influenced by Finnish telicity, Irish syntax, Mohawk verbal morphology, Japanese copula, Basque verbs, Sámi aspectuals, Japanese/Finnish/Georgian phonology, Hungarian/Turkish harmony, Sámi diachronic phonology, Cree vocabulary, Indo-European word classes, and other scattered stuff.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Kinál is Salish as heck. It has a full uvular series, ejectives, lateral fricatives, and it's highly agglutinative with no limits for consonant clusters.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Approximants? Ha! Who needs 'em? The consonant inventory is all obstruents. 8-)
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Theta wrote:Approximants? Ha! Who needs 'em? The consonant inventory is all obstruents. 8-)
Then some of them may be lenited into approximants and some stops spirantized:
e.g. [k ɡ x ɣ] > [k ɣ x ɰ].
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

But that makes way too much sense and could leave me without things like [ntstsqe]
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Only if you believe approximants and fricatives can't coexist with big clusters and big inventories.
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

Milyamd wrote:
Theta wrote:Approximants? Ha! Who needs 'em? The consonant inventory is all obstruents. 8-)
Then some of them may be lenited into approximants and some stops spirantized:
e.g. [k ɡ x ɣ] > [k ɣ x ɰ].
Where's the fun in that?
Constructor
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Constructor »

Darkgamma wrote:So, which natlang inspired your conlang?

I drew inspirations from German, Serbocroatian, Lithuanian and Tsez. I pretty much screwed myself twice over by doing that, but it ok :)
And how about you?
As I've likely repeated ad nauseam here, mine is intended to be a collision of Dutch and Spanish, but it's too early to know what ratios yet. As well, I'm sure in order to solve some deficiencies in Nederano, I'll likely introduce facets of other languages, at least nominally. I'm already kind of wanting to introduce voiced alveolar trills where they probably normally might not be. They are a feature of Icelandic that I like.
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

Most, if not all, of my conlangs have blatant natlang influences.

Aidisese is inspired by Greek and Japanese for the phonology, but the grammar is moreso Japanese with some vague Latin influences, along with the Bantu noun class.

Djakhetian/Proto-Atosanic (and Aidisese's ancestor) is inspired by common (and incorrect) depictions Ancient Egyptian phonologically, but the grammar is (I think) more Latin-ish and Japanese.

Proto-Itholian is inspired by Latin, and Italian to a lesser extent (but Italian's a descendant of Latin, so... yeah). Incoincidentally, most of Proto-Itholian's planned daughter languages will be inspired by other Romance languages, particularly Italian and Spanish.

Merthic was basically Celtic with triconsonantal Semitic roots, and a East Asian-esque syntax.

Genaisese (also a descendant of Djakhetian/Proto-Atosanic) is French, orthographically, and phonologically to a lesser extent, but the grammar will probably be, again, Japanese mixed with dumbed down Romance.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
MrSan
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by MrSan »

My main conlang, Vuladian, takes influence mostly from French, Spanish, Latin, Italian, and German with a little Portuguese, Catalan, Gaelician, Romanian, and very very little bit of Russian. It probably sounds a little strange w/ all the elements of influence listed out like that, but really only the main influences show most of the time. It's heavily influenced by them, too, because it's supposed to look and sound natural(or at least as natural sounding/looking as I can make it).

An example:

¡Salud! Eu nomine Kody(cody). ¿Que nominese vosu?
"I warn you. If you bore me, I shall take my revenge."

-Professor J.R.R. Tolkien
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

Kaynur Pitak is inspired by Ainu and various Sámi languages. The grammar used to be very Japonic but now I don't know what it looks like.

Hezek Erbol is inspired by Hungarian mostly, and I ripped off Hungarian grammar too. It was going through a dehungarization process, though, before I put it aside five months ago.
Rainchild
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Rainchild »

The only conlang I've ever posted on the net is a West Germanic euroclone called "Goesk." (It's at lrennoom.com.)

All my other languages are inspired, not by language families, but by things I learn about particular constructions in various languages and about linguistic typology. I expropriate when a natlang has something really cool in it (e.g. Vietnamese pronouns, associative plurals). Otherwise, my motto is "Don't copy: vary!"

Jim G.
“If they give you ruled paper, write the other way.” --Juan Ramon Jimenez
sahtitar
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sahtitar »

For Nerashi I took influence from Nahuatl, the Polynesian languages (in some overarching phonetic pieces), Latin, and Aymara for grammatical structure.
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

For Zendorian, I'm basically taking Navajo aspect/mode and stealing them. Yeah...I'm pretty unoriginal. I thought I just might come and confess my sin.
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ
TeutonicMice
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

what languages influence your conlangs?

Post by TeutonicMice »

I wanted to start a new conlang, but I need to invent a new culture first. I just wanted to know what languages have inspired you. When I created Beljun I mostly looked into Turkish, Hungarian and especially Chuvash, mm Chuvash.

Edit: Threads merged. -Aszev, 2020-05-07
-History repeats itself because no one is listening
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Re: what languages influence your conlangs?

Post by Keenir »

TeutonicMice wrote:I wanted to start a new conlang, but I need to invent a new culture first. I just wanted to know what languages have inspired you. When I created Beljun I mostly looked into Turkish, Hungarian and especially Chuvash, mm Chuvash.
Piraha and Mandarin.

Mandarin for its consonant rules (when CVC, the last C is always an r/n/ng/m)

Piraha for the underlying idea - basically to my mind, "what can't be communicated with the "need a living witness" rule?"
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799